Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

Being under the influence is one thing - and, quite frankly is open to opinion, imv.

You made the very specific allegation that she took drugs to the movie set, however. No one has ever made that allegation anywhere, as far I am aware.
I didn't make the allegation, the prosecutors made it in a court filing. I assume the crew members were concerned about their own safety and that is why they complained about the armorer.

JMO

Several "Rust" crew members expressed concern over armorer Hannah Gutierrez's alleged drug and alcohol use during the filming of the Western, prosecutors said in a new court filing, as her trial over the deadly on-set shooting approaches...
...The filing also includes a series of text messages allegedly retrieved from Gutierrez's phone sent before and during filming "detailing the use of marijuana and cocaine and exposing her recklessness concerning substance use," Morrissey wrote.

If it was apparent that HGR was using drugs on set, thereby acting recklessly, there’s a whole lot of blame to go around. She was the armorer, tasked with supervising and maintaining the deadly, very real weapons on a movie set. If she was that crappy at her job, her coworkers had a duty to report it to ensure the safety of the cast and crew. Halyna died because no one-not just HGR alone-was willing to maintain a safe work environment.

If it was apparent that HGR was using drugs on set, thereby acting recklessly
RSBM.

IMO it's extremely likely she was using drugs recreationally in the evenings after she returned back from the set. However, the prosecution didn't present a scintilla of evidence that she ever used on set. Which I think is an important distinction. Every text message was about her using in her hotel room or while out partying.

The prosecution tried to muddy the waters a bit when they announced that she gave a powder (presumably cocaine) to a coworker in order to hide it from the cops. What we didn't learn until the trial was that the hand-off occurred in her hotel room.

I don't condone her taking drugs, but there's no evidence she was ever impaired during shooting. Even the DA only ever claimed she was "hungover". I mean, if you were to prosecute every hungover person on a film set, you would pretty much have to arrest the whole production.

RSBM.

IMO it's extremely likely she was using drugs recreationally in the evenings after she returned back from the set. However, the prosecution didn't present a scintilla of evidence that she ever used on set. Which I think is an important distinction. Every text message was about her using in her hotel room or while out partying.

The prosecution tried to muddy the waters a bit when they announced that she gave a powder (presumably cocaine) to a coworker in order to hide it from the cops. What we didn't learn until the trial was that the hand-off occurred in her hotel room.

I don't condone her taking drugs, but there's no evidence she was ever impaired during shooting. Even the DA only ever claimed she was "hungover". I mean, if you were to prosecute every hungover person on a film set, you would pretty much have to arrest the whole production.
I don’t think it was muddying the waters as much as demonstrating her ongoing drug use. Depending on the half-life of various drugs, they never really leave your system if a person uses daily. She certainly looked impaired in the back of the truck right after the incident! MOO

RSBM.

Unless there was proof, urine sample and/or blood sample proof, I don't agree with the Judge's decision to have allowed the texts in about smoking weed the night before or a witness only guessing a white substance was a drug.

And talking about weed in a text doesn't even prove you actually used the weed.

Seems irrelevant and prejudicial. Jury agreed with her attorneys and threw out that charge...ie...Voted not guilty on that charge.

2 Cents

https:/

Unless there was proof, urine sample and/or blood sample proof, I don't agree with the Judge's decision to have allowed the texts in about smoking weed the night before or a witness only guessing a white substance was a drug.

Seems irrelevant and prejudicial. Jury agreed with her attorneys and threw out that charge...ie...Voted not guilty on that charge.

2 Cents
IMO, the prosecution never really cared if she was found guilty on that charge. It was a way for them to get in the drug evidence much of which otherwise would have likely been excluded.

We can see from the comments that it was an effective tactic.

I don’t think it was muddying the waters as much as demonstrating her ongoing drug use. Depending on the half-life of various drugs, they never really leave your system if a person uses daily. She certainly looked impaired in the back of the truck right after the incident! MOO
I don't think there is much argument that she was using drugs. The allegation made on here, that she actually took drugs to the set is a different matter. There is no evidence at all that she ever took drugs to the set.

The rules of this site are quite clear - if you present a statement as fact then you provide a suitable reliable media link to confirm it. There are no links, that I am aware of, which contain allegations, by anyone, of her actually having drugs on the set of Rust.

2 Cents
I'm a bit "either way" on this. Personally, I don't think it's hugely relevant to her competence at her job but, having said that, she said herself in her texts that she did use weed (or at least that she was going to do so at that point) so it's not as though the matter is in debate.

I'm a bit "either way" on this. Personally, I don't think it's hugely relevant to her competence at her job but, having said that, she said herself in her texts that she did use weed (or at least that she was going to do so at that point) so it's not as though the matter is in debate.

Still, one of the stupidest charges I have ever seen with zero proof and irrelevant to "The Case At Hand."

2 CENTS

RSBM.

Adult recreational use of marijuana was legalized in New Mexico in 2021.

And, because I do have a nephew in Albuquerque, that small amounts were decriminalized a few years before that. The person in possession, if underage, was held at a station & release to parent/guardian. Apparently a legal adult was asked to keep it within their home.

Last edited:
This came up about historical filming accidents in discussions on this event elsewhere which i feel i have to clarify for us here:

Renee Chen and Myca Le are the shortest-lived people to have worked on an incarnation of the TZ. The shortest-lived person to have appeared on screen in a TZ version is Judith Barsi (played Bertie in Season One of the 1980s TZ).

RSBM.

BBM. That's irrelevant. The results of her actions are the reason she was found guilty.

I think she absolutely was under the influence when she loaded several live rounds into the various props, which was her job. The jury is holding her accountable.

JMO

‘Rust' Armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed to Be Sentenced April 15​

Hannah Gutierrez Reed, the "Rust" armorer convicted last week in the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, will be sentenced on April 15, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Santa Fe-based Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer set aside two hours for Gutierrez-Reed's sentencing hearing on the morning of April 15. Marlowe Sommer also is assigned to oversee Baldwin’s trial.

In an interview with Court TV last week, special prosecutor Kari Morrissey said she would consult with the victims before deciding on what sentence to seek.

"I'm going to have to confer with the Hutchins family," she told the outlet. "I will also confer with Mr. Souza, and try to come up with a recommendation for the court that's reasonable under the circumstances and fair to Ms. Gutierrez."

Before the trial, Morrissey offered leniency to Gutierrez Reed if she would plead guilty and accept responsibility for bringing live rounds to set. Gutierrez Reed refused the deal, and her lawyers said she would not confess to something she did not do.

IMO, the prosecution never really cared if she was found guilty on that charge. It was a way for them to get in the drug evidence much of which otherwise would have likely been excluded.

What comments where?

It was proved to be an ineffective tactic regarding the charge of Evidence Tampering.

And I haven't seen or read any juror on that trial saying that her drug texts helped them to vote her guilty on the charge of Involuntary Manslaughter.

I hope she doesn't get leniency -- <modsnip - off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
What comments where?

It was proved to be an ineffective tactic regarding the charge of Evidence Tampering.

And I haven't seen or read any juror on that trial saying that her drug texts helped them to vote her guilty on the charge of Involuntary Manslaughter.
I was just referring to the general tenor of discussion about HGR on here, in the comments section of news articles, in social media, etc.

There's been a lot of commentary online about HGR's drug-taking and how it may have affected her attentiveness, attitude, etc. If the prosecutors had not included the tampering charge, then all those text messages and testimony about her cocaine and marijuana use would probably have never made it into the trial and people would have never known about them.

The charge was always a long-shot, so you have to ask yourself why would the prosecutors include something where they will likely not get a guilty verdict. I don't think it's all that shocking to suggest that a prosecutor will sometimes try to game the system to get negative facts about a defendant admitted.

Of course, I don't have any idea what the jurors considered or didn't during their deliberations. But just by including the charge, her drug use was at the very least in the back of their minds and thus may have had an influence on their verdict.

Some lawyer commentators have theorized that the tampering with evidence charge was put in there to give the jury an illusion of “splitting the baby” in case they felt sorry for her. This gives the jury an out from their sympathetic feelings by finding her not guilt of something. A bit of a psychological game by the state, if true.

JMO

RSBM.

And yet this article speaks of some Rust crew's concerns over her drug and alcohol use.

"In attempting to substantiate an alleged "history of reckless conduct," prosecutors shared a text exchange from Oct. 25, 2021, between prop master Sarah Zachry and ammunition supplier Seth Kenney.

Zachry texted Kenny that Gutierrez had allegedly blacked out the prior weekend and that "I think she was so drunk that she didn’t know she brought live ammo onto the truck when she went to get a gun from the safe," according to the filing.

Witnesses also saw Gutierrez "high on marijuana in her hotel room in Santa Fe while simultaneously in possession of boxes of ammunition for use on the set of the movie," special prosecutor Kari Morrissey wrote."

It's curious why the drug use wasn't pursued more through witnesses during trial. And of course why they didn't drug test her that day.

MOO.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member