Help identifying dead man's tattoo

I thought this too upon seeing it; with three red Syrian roses in the smaller circle.

When I lived in Damascus, these Syrian roses (the Damascena) were everywhere and on everything. Very symboli
yes! The roses! So glad you see three:cool:

@SanderMeyer
Hello, thank you for giving us an opportunity to unravel this mystery. I have a few of questions.

What leads you to believe the deceased's age is between 20 and 30? Is it based on the autopsy? I think it is much more difficult to estimate an age range in adult remains. It is much easier to assess an age range in an adolescent or a geriatric person.

Did the autopsy identify any physiological changes that could be due to alcohol consumption or drug use?

Did the autopsy indicate any trauma on the body other than those related to COD?

Did any investigating law enforcement (LE) personnel attempt to recreate the circumstances of an individual successfully hanging themselves using the handles of a gym bag?

Did LE identify the manufacturer of the glasses the UID wore?

Clothing was described as expensive. His T-shirt had Northern Sideloaders Ltd and Commander Sideloaders written on it. There is a company in Wakefield,Yorkshire UK called Commander Handling that manufactures forklifts and sidelift loaders. Was that ever investigated? There is a fairly large percentage of South Asians living in Yorkshire.

Was any isotope testing done to establish where the deceased may have lived?

Thank you for your time.

The more I look at the image from the original post, the more I am convinced that this tattoo is somehow representative of a Kurdish or Yazidian cause.

Dominant colours of each of those flags are comprosed of Green, Red, Yellow and White as is the tattoo. Other mid-eastern flags either do no incorporate these four colours or are limited to two of the dominant colours of this tattoo plus black (Green, White & Black) for example.

It does strike me as an Arabian dagger cutting through the center of it, so heavily leaning towards a mid-eastern origin.

The smaller circle still seems to me to have three Damascene flowers that sybmolize Syria.

Give that the Kurds and Yazidis each have 'no' homeland, but have always also been struggling for that recognition:

- "Kurdistan" comprising of dispersed Kurds in land that comprises South-Eastern Turkey, North-West Iraq, Northern Iran and North-East Syria.

- "Yazidis" are Kurdish speaking and dispersed, mostly in Northern Iraq, but in the other same places too.

I am wondering if this is somehow a 'freedom' fighter / homeland struggle symbol of some type. The tattoo itself looks relatively well-aged at the time of decedants death in 2007, so I have been googling Kurdish and Yazidi symbols circa early 1990s. I left Damascus Sept 4th, 2001 but those red spots in the smaller circle immediately sybolize/resemble Syrian symbolism (Damascene Rose) to me.

My brain is thinking a Kurd or Yazidi who originated from the North-Eastern region of Syria (both groups of which have a great many blue-eyed, green-eyed, blond, light-skin-toned people by the way!).

The more I look at the image from the original post, the more I am convinced that this tattoo is somehow representative of a Kurdish or Yazidian cause.

Dominant colours of each of those flags are comprosed of Green, Red, Yellow and White as is the tattoo. Other mid-eastern flags either do no incorporate these four colours or are limited to two of the dominant colours of this tattoo plus black (Green, White & Black) for example.

It does strike me as an Arabian dagger cutting through the center of it, so heavily leaning towards a mid-eastern origin.

The smaller circle still seems to me to have three Damascene flowers that sybmolize Syria.

Give that the Kurds and Yazidis each have 'no' homeland, but have always also been struggling for that recognition:

- "Kurdistan" comprising of dispersed Kurds in land that comprises South-Eastern Turkey, North-West Iraq, Northern Iran and North-East Syria.

- "Yazidis" are Kurdish speaking and dispersed, mostly in Northern Iraq, but in the other same places too.

I am wondering if this is somehow a 'freedom' fighter / homeland struggle symbol of some type. The tattoo itself looks relatively well-aged at the time of decedants death in 2007, so I have been googling Kurdish and Yazidi symbols circa early 1990s. I left Damascus Sept 4th, 2001 but those red spots in the smaller circle immediately sybolize/resemble Syrian symbolism (Damascene Rose) to me.

My brain is thinking a Kurd or Yazidi who originated from the North-Eastern region of Syria (both groups of which have a great many blue-eyed, green-eyed, blond, light-skin-toned people by the way!).

I have Yazidi and the Sinjar mountains in my notes. The Yazidi Democratic Movement (TEVDA) was formed in 2005.

I have been looking for precussor groups (Kurdish & Yazidi) formed prior to 2007 when the decedant was found - only because the colours in the tattoo seem 'well-aged' - very faded to me by 2007. The tattoo predates 2007 formation of most 'recognized groups' of this era.

Also attempting to base the colour-fade on one of my own tattoos that seems faded about the same from the original very bright colours it was when I got it; mine is now 15 years old.

Thank you ALL SO MUCH, i've been reading every comment with most of interest. I'm so happy to see a lot of you hgave put a real effort in this investigation of ours. And i'm sorry to be so quite, every time i got back to this website i remained stuck on the 1st page, and didn't realize there were already two other pages, in total 3. How stupid of my side. I've had some very interesting things to read and i agree on the Damascene flowers, i also seem to see it.

Also i think you guys are right, the tattoo does look older and was made by an amateur, maybe even himself. It kinda looks like we have to search in the Middle East, yet some also have interesting arguments to look in Russia.

Bran, i now read all the things you've asked, and i'm affraid i don't have any answers. The brand of cigarettes is unknown to me, and the dna investigation is also not known. I don't think they did an isotope investigation. I have received a new (bit better pic) of the tattoo, where you can see part of the man's leg. To my knowledge he didn't have any notable scars or bruces.

Attachments

• 117889.jpg
    117889.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 25
  • 117891.jpg
    117891.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 117890.jpg
    117890.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 25
Hi Bran, i'm sorry, could you copy them here? I can't seem to find these. I'd be happy to answer

Here are the questions. Thanks.
Hello, thank you for giving us an opportunity to unravel this mystery. I have a few of questions.

1) What leads you to believe the deceased's age is between 20 and 30? Is it based on the autopsy? I think it is much more difficult to estimate an age range in adult remains. It is much easier to assess an age range in an adolescent or a geriatric person.

2) Did the autopsy identify any physiological changes that could be due to alcohol consumption or drug use?

3) Did the autopsy indicate any trauma on the body other than those related to COD?

4) Did any investigating law enforcement (LE) personnel attempt to recreate the circumstances of an individual successfully hanging themselves using the handles of a gym bag?

5) Did LE identify the manufacturer of the glasses the UID wore?

6) Clothing was described as expensive. His T-shirt had Northern Sideloaders Ltd and Commander Sideloaders written on it. There is a company in Wakefield,Yorkshire UK called Commander Handling that manufactures forklifts and sidelift loaders. Was that ever investigated? There is a fairly large percentage of South Asians living in Yorkshire.

7) Was any isotope testing done to establish where the deceased may have lived?

Thank you for your time.

1) What leads you to believe the deceased's age is between 20 and 30? Is it based on the autopsy? I think it is much more difficult to estimate an age range in adult remains. It is much easier to assess an age range in an adolescent or a geriatric person.

2) Did the autopsy identify any physiological changes that could be due to alcohol consumption or drug use?

3) Did the autopsy indicate any trauma on the body other than those related to COD?

4) Did any investigating law enforcement (LE) personnel attempt to recreate the circumstances of an individual successfully hanging themselves using the handles of a gym bag?

6) Clothing was described as expensive. His T-shirt had Northern Sideloaders Ltd and Commander Sideloaders written on it. There is a company in Wakefield,Yorkshire UK called Commander Handling that manufactures forklifts and sidelift loaders. Was that ever investigated? There is a fairly large percentage of South Asians living in Yorkshire.

Thank you for your time.
Re. #6 on the list. If this company knows noting about this man, they could have given shirts away to a company that once worked for them.
I saw on google maps there is a courier company close by who delivers to and from the continent, including The Netherlands.

Thank you for your time.
I don't know much of the answers, but i don't assume they recreated the circumstances. The police didn't reveal much about their investigation but i recon they didn't do that much. I don't think there has been done an isotope testing.

I'm Sander, a private detective from Holland
Hi Sander, sorry for asking, but I must. I'm curious about your connection to this case. Don't you work together with LE, as there is so little you know about this diseased person's case (other then info that is known in public) and the investigation. In general, how does this work when you are a private detective and doing this for a living? At least that's how I perceived your call for help.

I know you can not expose the one who asked you to look into this, if there is one, but I wonder. Or is this something you took upon yourself like we call it in Dutch: "liefde werk, oud papier"? Or are you maybe intending to make a program about the unidentified like Kees van der Spek's 'Graf zonder Naam', which I think is great btw. I know LE shared the files with him, so he knew details not known by the general public and started searching from there.

I don't mean to be rude or unkind in anyway and I (and I'm sure all the sleuths on here) love to help, but this questions crossed my mind.

Is this yours? Stichting Coldcasezaken - Onopgeloste moordzaken If it it GREAT work!!

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back