Horses could soon be slaughtered for meat in U.S.

I don't see what's the big deal. I've had horse - not as good as beef but it's ok. Lot's of things I wouldn't eat - like snails or escargot if you prefer.

I won't argue because you're entitled to your own opinion...my main concern has been the cruelty used in the slaughter houses...that goes for any animal used for food...there is a humane way to do it and I think that should be regulated and inspected...

Some of us can eat it, some can't for various reasons...to each his own...

Oh. :blushing: I thought this thread was about horse meat.

It is, but the horse has to be slaughtered first before it becomes 'meat'. Look back at the first post I made to start the thread and it discusses the reopening of slaughter houses in the U.S. for this purpose, and pros and cons about this subject.

I see it as different personally because I see horses as companion animals. Pets.

Same with dogs and cats.

I know people eat dogs and cats but to me that's disgusting. I don't see it as edible meat.

I could never eat a Shi-Tzu.
Or Mr. Ed.

JMO

This times 1000. I have a horse, and she's my best friend. I love her, and saved her from slaughter. The thought of this makes me so angry, I can feel it in my stomach. It's just wrong.

Appeals court allows horse slaughterhouses to open

http://centurylink.net/news/read/ca...p-appeals_court_allows_horse_slaughterhous-ap

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Companies in New Mexico and Missouri could begin slaughtering horses within a few weeks after a federal appeals court removed a temporary ban that was preventing domestic horse slaughter from resuming for the first time since 2007.......

I hate to even post this, it makes me so mad and sad. Horses, beside all the other reasons above, carried our men in wars and died in wars for them. A pig or chicken or turkey or fish never did that. This is just not right. Horses are pets, they have great hearts and interact with people. If the horses are sick or old and nobody wants them, why not euthanize them in a humane way? Why not start a refuge for them, like we have for other animals, that receive private and government support. I hope these businesses go bankrupt. All IMO.

Appeals court allows horse slaughterhouses to open

http://centurylink.net/news/read/ca...p-appeals_court_allows_horse_slaughterhous-ap

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Companies in New Mexico and Missouri could begin slaughtering horses within a few weeks after a federal appeals court removed a temporary ban that was preventing domestic horse slaughter from resuming for the first time since 2007.......

I hate to even post this, it makes me so mad and sad. Horses, beside all the other reasons above, carried our men in wars and died in wars for them. A pig or chicken or turkey or fish never did that. This is just not right. Horses are pets, they have great hearts and interact with people. If the horses are sick or old and nobody wants them, why not euthanize them in a humane way? Why not start a refuge for them, like we have for other animals, that receive private and government support. I hope these businesses go bankrupt. All IMO.

No one's making you eat it.

I'll stick to Moo meat :moo: it's what's for dinner.

I'm sorry to the horse lovers here.

While it is scary, we have all may have already eaten horse meat. (google: Aldi horse meat)

If you eat anything pre-prepared odds are higher. I swear that beef is not what is in Ravioli, lol.

I have eaten deer, buffalo, squirrel, and whatever dad could bring home for food. (Buffalo is sold in the local supermarket, not that I buy it, but a friend only buys it for making chili.) Deer is very lean, and much better for us than beef, so is buffalo, believe it or not, I suspect horse would be too. I'm not going to intentionally eat horse meat, but cannot be sure it is not already in some foods, not just in France or from France, or Asia.

Watched a show last night that used moose meat. New Scandinavian Cooking on PBS.

I don't want to think of horse farms as being for food supply, but we do have cow farms, chicken farms, turkey farms, fish farms, buffalo farms, and it goes on. I guess if it is properly inspected, it should be safe for consumption.

Do we need another meat source? I don't know, but the prices of meat are so high now anyway, I just buy dried beans and rice, so, it may not make much difference and the market may be slim.

Again, so sorry for horse pet owners. I don't ever want to have to eat dog, cat, or rat either, but if life demands such things, it will happen.

i remember back when i was a teen ( in the early 70's) they were trying to push people eating horse meat. i remember because the guy i was going out with at the time tried it and i wouldn't speak to him for a week because he ate Mr. Ed.

Opening the slaughter houses are a good thing. The horses you think you are saving are going to Mexico where there are little to no regulations. Best to keep it here in the US were in can be regulated. As someone else pointed out, you have more than likely already have eaten horse meat in prepared meals. There has been no bottom to the horse market and this will at least start to bring prices up on horses. I have never knowingly eaten horse meat, but I would. I think possum is the only thing I would have aproblem eating. If all the unwanted horses, the horses meant for the slaughter house, and the old horses were processed, I think we could end hunger in the USA. Why would someone deny a starving person access to cheap, nutritional meat? It may not be for you, but you aren't starving either.
I would like to see a 20%,75%,5% (horse, cow, hog) mixture.

It would seem that "if" it was in some of the products it would have to be listed. Ingredients have to be listed on the package, last time I checked. If it is going to be introduced I wonder what will be on the label, Equus, equine or horse, or the other red meat? idk jmo

I won't eat horse meat. I have spent the past 10 years involved in horse rescue and trying to keep horses out of bad spots, including the slaughter houses before they closed. That said, I would rather see a horse go to slaughter, and have a useful end, than to continue to see them starving in a field, or go to Mexico, with no regulations at all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back