Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Even with the dry conditions, the storm could produce enough rain to overcome that and make things flood,” said Rick Neuherz, a hydrologist with the National Weather Service.

He said soil can only hold so much water at one time, causing the excess to run off. Still, he said the storm track could dictate the impacts on the region.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/weather-news/article234656272.html

In accordance with Governor Kemp’s mandatory evacuation order for coastal Georgia, 1,670 offenders housed at Coastal State Prison, and 260 Coastal Transitional Center residents have been evacuated as of 11:30a.m. today, September 3. These offenders were relocated to several facilities across the state not in the affected areas.

Friends and family of the offenders affected may contact GDC’s Call Center at 404-656-4661, for the most up-to-date offender location information. Additionally, inmate locations are updated on the GDC website at Find an Offender | The Georgia Department of Corrections, approximately 24-hours after relocation.
HURRICANE DORIAN UPDATE | The Georgia Department of Corrections

update from Central Florida- the heavy rain
bands have arrived! It pours for 45 min. then stops and is sunny. Then wind comes again
and pouring rain again.
This trend will continue for at least the next
24 hrs. according to my weather woman on
WESH TV.
Fortunately the storm intensity has decreased.
Mosquitos are going crazy here. No wild animals out on my farm. No birds or squirrels.
My dog and 2 cats are acting suspicious and
staying inside. They can feel the storm and know something is wrong. Intermittent thunder outside.
As usual, my horses choose to stand outside in
the rain unless I throw new food to keep them
in their large sheltered stalls.
After 5 days of storm prep, many have what they call Hurricane Fatigue. We just want it to
move on and go away.

I don't have a link as I heard it on our news that Abaco has literally been destroyed.

It is tragic that so many lives were lost in Bahamas. People have been increasingly nonchalant about hurricanes. "Oh, this house has weathered hurricanes for 50 years.". "We will be fine.".

I believe that the weather has changed, significantly, and that storms are increasingly more ferocious when they come landfall. People need to accept this new "normal", and not rely on history of storms.

iCyclone (Josh Morgerman) still missing. Was in Abaco.

Hurricane hunter rides out Dorian in Bahamas: 'We're moving children to a safe space'

Well-known hurricane hunter Josh Morgerman was in the Bahamas when Hurricane Dorian made landfall as a Category 5 storm and has been tweeting updates on what has been happening.

Morgerman, whose new TV series is set to debut Sept. 15 on the Science Channel, said he was riding out the storm in Marsh Harbour. That's in the Abaco Islands, which reports indicate was getting hit hard with devastating winds and storm surge Sunday.

I feel like I have storm fatigue and I'm in California. Got up 3 times last night to see. What Dorian was up to!
update from Central Florida- the heavy rain
bands have arrived! It pours for 45 min. then stops and is sunny. Then wind comes again
and pouring rain again.
This trend will continue for at least the next
24 hrs. according to my weather woman on
WESH TV.
Fortunately the storm intensity has decreased.
Mosquitos are going crazy here. No wild animals out on my farm. No birds or squirrels.
My dog and 2 cats are acting suspicious and
staying inside. They can feel the storm and know something is wrong. Intermittent thunder outside.
As usual, my horses choose to stand outside in
the rain unless I throw new food to keep them
in their large sheltered stalls.
After 5 days of storm prep, many have what they call Hurricane Fatigue. We just want it to
move on and go away.

upload_2019-9-3_14-32-3.jpeg
Aerial footage has revealed shipping containers ripped open like tin cans, houses scattered and torn apart, and boats hundreds of feet inland from the nearest marinas. The aerial footage was shot by storm chasers who flew over Abaco, the first island to get struck by Hurricane Dorian. WXChasing, the storm chasers who shot the footage, reported that conditions were rough and that there were still hurricane-force winds (winds greater than 74 mph) blowing when they took off.
https://earther.gizmodo.com/new-aerial-footage-of-the-bahamas-after-hurricane-doria-1837843886

iCyclone (Josh Morgerman) still missing. Was in Abaco.

Hurricane hunter rides out Dorian in Bahamas: 'We're moving children to a safe space'

Well-known hurricane hunter Josh Morgerman was in the Bahamas when Hurricane Dorian made landfall as a Category 5 storm and has been tweeting updates on what has been happening.

Morgerman, whose new TV series is set to debut Sept. 15 on the Science Channel, said he was riding out the storm in Marsh Harbour. That's in the Abaco Islands, which reports indicate was getting hit hard with devastating winds and storm surge Sunday.

Someone said he was sheltering at Abaco Primary School.

Here is his twitter:

Josh Morgerman (@iCyclone) | Twitter

Hurricane Dorian was producing gusts of 130 to 150 mph Monday as it battered the Bahamas, which brings up a sensible question: What’s it like getting hit in the face with hurricane-force winds?

Unpleasant is the short answer, particularly if those winds carry debris.

One analogy might be the experience of free falling 1,500 feet. By the time you reach the ground, you’d be going about 120 mph, according to The Free Fall Research Page of Green Harbor Publications.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/weather-news/article234656472.html

Someone said he was sheltering at Abaco Primary School.

Here is his twitter:

Josh Morgerman (@iCyclone) | Twitter

It is however concerning that he hasn't tweeted in 2 days. But he was silent after Maria as well. He helps people in addition to chasing storms. Also, others are saying they've seen or heard from him so I'm sure he's okay.

It is however concerning that he hasn't tweeted in 2 days. But he was silent after Maria as well. He helps people in addition to chasing storms. Also, others are saying they've seen or heard from him so I'm sure he's okay.

Thats good to hear. I hope he is ok as I didn't see him post any more updates either. He probably turned his efforts into helping others because I am sure that everyone who is on the ground there, and is physically able to, have probably turned their efforts into assisting others at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert