Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #2

Yes. I lost everything in a house fire. And since then, belongings really don't have meaning to me.

It takes awhile to get there though. The shock of losing everything really takes a long recovery period. Some people never adjust.
My little family and I lost everything in a house fire too when all my four little ones were under the age group of five right before Thanksgiving many years ago. Plus I was babysitting for my seven month old niece. If not for the Red Cross, neighbors, friends and family ~ And Tinker Air Force Base for choosing us as their Christmas Family, we would have not emotionally survived. It’s extraordinary how people rise to help those in need. God certainly knows how to create good and great people and miracles. ❤️

That's why I'm never buying property. Even if the area itself isn't flooded out, it's going to be affected by being near flooded out areas, ie. property values going down. It's highly unwise to keep a significant quantity of assets in the physical world at this juncture.
Yes. I do try to keep in mind that old saying though. Buy land cause God ain’t making any more. I learned a long long time ago when I lost my first little brother that physical belongings weren’t nearly as important as the memories we carry in our hearts. This is how we keep them alive.

Things to know:
  • Hurricane Dorian is now a Category 1 storm, with sustained winds down to 90 mph. The eye is moving northeast just off the North Carolina coast at 15 mph. It was 63 miles east of Wilmington.
  • Tornadoes are possible from the coast to the Triangle through Friday morning. .
  • Weather conditions at the coast and in central North Carolina are expected to worsen overnight and Friday morning. The Triangle could experience 30 to 60 mph wind gusts, isolated power outages and flash flooding.
  • Wake County Public Schools has canceled classes Friday, and Durham, Orange and Chatham County Schools will be delayed two hours.
  • The storm is expected to move out to sea late Friday afternoon, leaving behind a quiet weekend.
Hurricane Dorian updates: Storm still Cat. 1; eye wall likely to miss Cape Lookout | Casper Courier

Since 1950, there have been 38 named Atlantic Basin storms in November; 21 became hurricanes. Based on this history, expect one named storm every other November, and one November hurricane roughly every three years.
end_of_season_tracks_0.gif

The latest time a major hurricane (Category 3 or stronger) made landfall in the United States was the 1925 Tampa Bay hurricane on Oct. 25.

Hurricane Kate in 1985 was the latest-in-season hurricane landfall in the U.S. Kate came ashore at Mexico Beach, Florida, on Nov. 21, a week before Thanksgiving.

atl-final-named-storm-1021.jpg

November Is Still Hurricane Season – Here's What Can Happen | The Weather Channel

It's still a pretty rough situation over there. So many homes that were there for years were completely wiped out. Rebuilding is expensive and not realistic for many locals. And it's been hard for some of the businesses that employed a lot of people to re-open or come back because they are having a hard time even finding staff - there just are not residential places for people to live. The Abaco islands were hit so hard and just feel so forgotten now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back