Hurricane Harvey - August 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Ike like yesterday Bootsctr, so much destruction along the coast, power out for weeks in many areas, one of my worst memories though was the night it came in, the screaming wind for hours on end, there's just nothing (and nothing good) like the sound of a hurricane as it passes over you. Rita was the same way even though it was further away, unearthly screeching all night long.

Bbm: this is the same memory I have from hurricane Sandy - like a freight train passing through the house all night long...

Be safe TX & LA. Love and thoughts and prayers.

No - sigh. We are barely inland and a touch (and I do mean a touch) south of the expected landfall (prayers to Rockport and Aransas Pass please), but our land is on high ground. We may be sorry, but are riding it out. We are NOT under evacuation orders. But we will be impacted - and may be sorry. Keep an eye on that thing, we will be. Thanks for your thoughts ( it's actually very agreeable now - hot, but we always are this time of year)

TWC just said mandatory evac for Rockport. Expecting 6-12 feet storm surge there. Keep in mind you cant run from that water. Good luck and stay safe BFMD

Stay safe those in the path. You're in my thoughts and prayers xx

Aug 25 2017, 10:52 am ET

Hurricane Harvey Strengthens to Category 2, Mandatory Evacuations Ordered

by Phil McCausland and Daniel Arkin

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Thousands of people fled Texas early Friday as Hurricane Harvey, a life-threatening Category 2 storm, gained strength and hurtled toward the coast.

Homeowners, businesses and government officials were scrambling to prepare for the potentially devastating storm. Forecasters said it could lash the state with significant rain, 125-mph winds and up to 12-foot storm surges.

The seven Texas counties on the coast have ordered mandatory evacuations of tens of thousands of residents from low-lying areas, according to the Associated Press. The message from state officials was clear: Get out while you can...

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/h...egory-2-mandatory-evacuations-ordered-n795856

:praying: that everyone (and your pets) in the storm's path will be safe.

Thanks everyone - getting squally but not evil yet. Rockport is north east of me by approximately 30 miles. At the current trajectory, it appears it will make landfall very near the Rockport / Aransas Nat'l wildlife refuge. Mandatory evacuation for those areas were announced yesterday, I believe. Which while it may be of some benefit to me, leaves me feeling very, very upset for those good people there - and on towards Woodsboro and Refugio. Say your prayers for those good souls and the first responders on call. Us too, but the coastal lowlands are at greatest risk.

Obviously we still have lights and internet - and A/C praise be. The national hurricane center http://www.nhc.noaa.gov and the weather channel https://weather.com/storms/hurricane-central/harvey-2017/AL092017 are giving very good information for those of you who would like to see the evidence (lol - a little humor here, websluethers :crazy:)

I check back when I can - peace peeps!

BFMD

My elderly parents live in CC. They said ppl are prepared for the worst. Praying for you all in Texas!

Check in after you are in a safe location and have access to power. Do not use your device batteries to load webpages. Stay safe. :)

No - sigh. We are barely inland and a touch (and I do mean a touch) south of the expected landfall (prayers to Rockport and Aransas Pass please), but our land is on high ground. We may be sorry, but are riding it out. We are NOT under evacuation orders. But we will be impacted - and may be sorry. Keep an eye on that thing, we will be. Thanks for your thoughts ( it's actually very agreeable now - hot, but we always are this time of year)

I will be watching and checking often on all our WS family who are in the path of this monster. Stay safe!

How far away are you from landfall -- be careful

About 150 - 200 miles. Thanks Cariis! So glad to have you here checking on us Texans! I consider you our resident expert regarding hurricanes. I followed the Hurricane Matthew thread last year and thoroughly enjoyed reading everything you posted.

No rain here yet. A little bit of a breeze. Hot as is normal. Overcast gray sky. Pretty quiet. The birds aren't singing like they normally are when I step outside.

I'm getting a bit nervous thinking of what is to come. Be safe everyone! Check in when you can. Lots of great advice from members who have lived through these storms! Learned a lot from Hurricane Matthew last year. Love you all!

Something I've always done pre-hurricane is to fill up bathtubs and washing machines with water. Great for flushing toilets when there is no electricity. The water pumping stations always get flooded and there is no water.

Thinking about and praying for all of our WS family members who are in Harvey's path. Stay safe and please check in when you can! Much love :hug:

Prayers!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Where would hummingbirds take refuge in this type if weather.
I hope pet owners use their brains this time around.

We have a lot of pine trees. Figure they are pretty protected from a lot of the hard rain. I see them flying from waaaay up high to come in low to feed! Resourceful little buggers they are! I do feel for all the animals that have to be out in all of the rain and flooding - horses and cattle and all livestock. My girls will probably stay in the hen house mostly. Will move the feeder and water indoors so they don't have to go out if they don't want to. Oh boy! May need to make a trip to the liquor store too!

Something I've always done pre-hurricane is to fill up bathtubs and washing machines with water. Great for flushing toilets when there is no electricity. The water pumping stations always get flooded and there is no water.

Going to do this now! Gotta make the dog get out of it! She sleeps in one during the day sometimes.

Having taken a direct hit from Dolly in 2005 and she did stall out for a while, that is the worst part........I have a feeling that Harvey is going to be much worse, they appear to be the same strength but Harvey is predicted to stall, meander so I imagine the flooding and rain to possibly wreak more havoc.

Remember what they say, turn around, don't drown!

Take zip lock bags (gallon) fill with water freeze. You end up with huge blocks of ice! They melt much slower, and keep stuff in thier colder and give you drinking water.

And if you don't have zip lock bags, you can use condoms instead.

And if you don't have zip lock bags, you can use condoms instead.

I would think condoms , upon the ice melting would not hold water!

In addition stores may be out of condoms expected to be a looong event, with folks locked inside a long time.

However if anyone has ever tried freezing condoms , without details (wait a minute maybe with details ha) pls advise as frozen condom tolerances. TIA

funny tho

I would think condoms , upon the ice melting would not hold water!

In addition stores may be out of condoms expected to be a looong event

funny tho

and if you are seriously considering condom's I suggest Magnum's as they hold more water......I suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven