Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

Man, they are comparing this to Carla which hit in the 50's. Before my time of course. LOL My BF was 10 at the time and living in El Campo. He said it was horrible.

Asking people to use surface roads and stay off freeways.

Saying stay home and "hunker down".

They are doing mandatory evacuations by zip in Harris county. You staying Kato? Our friend can't find gas to leave!

They are doing mandatory evacuations by zip in Harris county. You staying Kato? Our friend can't find gas to leave!

Yeah, I always stay. I only have a little over 1/4 tank of gas. But we have gas in our other 2 cars.

Just FYI, we live in Central Texas and away from where Ike will hit hardest (but close enough someone could get here easily). If you're on the coast and need a place further inland, PM me. We have 3 boys and a house full of critters, so another family wouldn't take up that much more room. Be safe! Prayers for all...

What an incredibly generous offer!

DK we need the rain here too, but meterologists in Ohio are already hinting at flooding.

Besides the interruption in lives, I think what would be the hardest is the uncertainity. Not knowing what will happen to your home, is the place you have chosen to go far enough and safe enough, will the storm swing and which way will it swing?

Yeah, I always stay. I only have a little over 1/4 tank of gas. But we have gas in our other 2 cars.
Kato, please be safe. Make sure you have enough supplies. Keep your cell phone on the charger as much as possible. Don't just plan for the storm-plan for the aftermath. You are in my prayers!!

Stay safe Kato and everyone else in Ike's path! I hope we get some good storms here!!!

Kato, please be safe. Make sure you have enough supplies. Keep your cell phone on the charger as much as possible. Don't just plan for the storm-plan for the aftermath. You are in my prayers!!

Thanks. Good idea for the cell cuz I sometimes forget. My BF is pretty prepared with all his hunting supplies coming in handy such as Coleman stove, etc.

Traffic already backing up on some freeways.

Mandatory evacuation of Galveston starting at noon.

Surf already kicking up at Surfside Beach in Freeport.

It's kinda ironic that that is where the refineries are, yet they are running short on gas. I hope they find some.

Kato, please stay safe, I really wish you would reconsider. Check back in here as soon as you can afterwards. I'll be praying for you and thinking of you.

Man, traffic bad on 45 N. May take some people 2 hrs. to get to Houston from points south.

It took my uncle 24 hrs to get from Houston to Dallas during Rita. My mom and grandmother aren't going to leave so I overnighted a lantern to them. Everyone stay safe!!!!!!!

It took my uncle 24 hrs to get from Houston to Dallas during Rita. My mom and grandmother aren't going to leave so I overnighted a lantern to them. Everyone stay safe!!!!!!!
They mentioned today on twc that alot of deaths occured during Rita from people trying to evacuate that ended up stuck in traffic. This is always a huge fear of mine when we have to evacuate. Our normal 9 hour trip to texas took us 20 when we evacuated for Gustav! It was awful

ETA: we just had a small squal line come through from the outer bands of Ike. Though it is not heading this way, Ike is huge. The squal wasn't bad and didn't last long-just caught me (and my pups who were outside on a potty break) off guard.

we're not in an evacuation zone so we're staying put. we're new to texas so this will be some experience to say the least. Prayers to all who have to leave. keep safe.

I finally got some gas. I had to get it from 2 different stations. Wait was not too bad. If one needs gas it's best to go to the neighborhood stations cuz the ones on the freeway are the ones running out fast.

Hey Kato!!! Stay safe down there!!!
Just talked to a friend in Bryan/College Station and he said there is a trail of cars pouring in from Houston.........

I live in Palestine, Texas which I would estimate is about 200 miles from the coast. (Galveston) During Rita I was quite concerned and had several trees removed so one didn't land on my house. Although it turned out to be no big deal for us; we got about one inch of rain, but those weird winds swirling around the trees unnerved me. I was glad I was able to get those tree people out earlier in the week. About 40 miles south of where we live there was significant damage. And as I recall, Jasper, Texas took a major hit.

If anyone is trying to ride this thing out and it comes ashore as a Cat 3 or 4, it will be devestating. Even the Cat 2 in N.O. nearly breached the levees.

When I was out today, I noticed a marked increase in traffic which I attribute to people coming in from the affected areas. One motel appeared to be completely filled although another one did not but I suspect it was probably booked. I understand that most of the churches here are designated as Red Cross shelters. We are still one of the 88 Texas counties already declared as disaster areas although I believe what we will more likely than not will be large amounts of rain. In 2001 we got some 18 inches of rain in three days and I think that was just from a rain storm centered in Houston about 180 road miles from here.

It is my understanding that the right (east) side of the hurricane is the most dangerous. It is referred to as the "dirty" side if I understand correctly.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why do hurricanes have clean and dirty sides?

The "dirty" side of a hurricane is the eastern side of the storm. Here, winds from the south, full of moisture, wrap into the storm causing heavy rain, storm surge, and tornadoes. The western side of the storm is referred to as the "clean" side. Following the counterclockwise rotation around a hurricane, the western side receives winds from the north, which pulls dry air into the storm and doesn't allow heavy rain or thunderstorms to develop...

(Snip)

http://www.myvictoriaonline.com/content/view/23/93/
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Personally, I think if I were in the path of that hurricane I would exercise caution and get out. If it fizzles, no harm is done but only inconvenience. If it is as strong as some believe it to be it could be catastrophic.

Hey Kato!!! Stay safe down there!!!
Just talked to a friend in Bryan/College Station and he said there is a trail of cars pouring in from Houston.........

I have an uncle in Bryan/CS.

You've known me for a few yrs. now, Poco. And you know I don't take things seriously. So, should I?

They say it is huge and could be as devasting as Carla that hit in '61. Since BF is 20 yrs. older he lived through that. He was in El Campo, TX which took quite a hit. I wasn't born yet so I've never really seen a "real hurricane". We had Alicia back in '82 but all I remember is alot of rain and downed tree branches.

I told my BF when it gets real windy I'm gonna run outside and see if it'll pick me up so I can fly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back