Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

REPEATING THE 1100 PM EDT POSITION...23.2 N...84.3 W.
MOVEMENT TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...80 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...967 MB.

IKE IS LOOKING LIKE A MONSTER IN THE MAKING!!

Satellite Imagery (Patience Required)
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t4/loop-avn.html

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE
CENTER AT 200 AM EDT FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 500 AM EDT.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT4+shtml/080301.shtml?

Three Day Cone
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?3day?large#contents

Five Day Cone
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5day?large#contents

967mb??? You're right, that's a strong system!

Ike Forecast Eye Path ™
uhaI_2_640x480.gif

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hur...ove&stormNum=8

My brother and his family are leaving Corpus Christi in the morning!

I'm further inland, but there will be danger of tornadoes and torrential rain even here.

Yikes! :woohoo:

Looks like it will be a Cat 3 or even a 4 at landfall! And will remain at least a Cat 1 well inland.

uhaI_2_640x480.gif

My thoughts and prayers to all who may be affected here. I have a friend who is like an adopted daughter in Houston. Be safe all....

DK you can stop now. Every picture you post shows it getting closer to Ohio. We don't want it, lol.

Seriously, I love the coast and the beaches. But it is times like these that I am glad that I don't live on the coast.

The way Ike keeps swinging around are we sure where he is going to hit?

DK you can stop now. Every picture you post shows it getting closer to Ohio. We don't want it, lol.

Seriously, I love the coast and the beaches. But it is times like these that I am glad that I don't live on the coast.

The way Ike keeps swinging around are we sure where he is going to hit?

LOL! I hope the remnants come around us in Indiana as we need the rain, the lakes are drying up, almost.

As to whether or not they really know where it will land, I'd say no, lol. It changes all the time. Might as well flip a coin. :crazy:

BF's family are in the process of going to TX to pick up their uncle and get him out of harms way. They are in FL and have a 10 hr drive at least to get him and then 10 hrs back. I am proud of the way they planned this to get his uncle. His Dad just passed and his family still got together to go get his moms brother. I am hoping they do not run into delays due to TX evacuactions.

Just FYI, we live in Central Texas and away from where Ike will hit hardest (but close enough someone could get here easily). If you're on the coast and need a place further inland, PM me. We have 3 boys and a house full of critters, so another family wouldn't take up that much more room. Be safe! Prayers for all...

Just FYI, we live in Central Texas and away from where Ike will hit hardest (but close enough someone could get here easily). If you're on the coast and need a place further inland, PM me. We have 3 boys and a house full of critters, so another family wouldn't take up that much more room. Be safe! Prayers for all...

Hi DT, I'm in Austin..are you near by? Earlier today it said that Austin was supposed to get up to 90 mph wind gusts on Saturday (even that is cat 1 hurricane strength winds!) But after watching the 10:00 news tonight they said Ike shifted a little easterly now making landfall closer to Galveston instead of Corpus. That would now put us out of harm's way where the wind is concerned but would still get the much needed rain and possible flash flooding....all I know is it's BIG! BIG BAD IKE!

Do we have anyone here in the S.E. Texas?
Sure do. I'm 250 yards from Galveston Bay, at a whopping 6 feet above sea level. We're packing up and headed out Thursday morning. We're only going to the west side of Houston, but at least it gets us away from the projected 18-20 foot storm surge.

Sure do. I'm 250 yards from Galveston Bay, at a whopping 6 feet above sea level. We're packing up and headed out Thursday morning. We're only going to the west side of Houston, but at least it gets us away from the projected 18-20 foot storm surge.

I understand, right now in Houston, we are staying....

Houston-Galveston could face major damage from Ike

Gleaming skyscrapers, the nation's biggest refinery and NASA's Johnson Space Center lie in areas that could be vulnerable to wind and damaging floodwaters if Hurricane Ike crashes ashore as a major hurricane.

Forecasters expect the storm to make landfall this weekend somewhere between Corpus Christi and Houston, creating the potential for heavy punishment for Houston even if it's not hit directly.

Some forecasts say Ike could strengthen to a fearsome Category 4 hurricane with winds of at least 131 mph over the Gulf of Mexico, and emergency officials warned it could drive a storm surge as high as 18 feet.

If current projections of the storm's path hold up, the area surrounding Houston — home to about 4 million people — would be lashed by the eastern or "dirty" side of the storm, said meteorologist Jeff Masters, co-founder of San Francisco-based Weather Underground. This stronger side of the storm often packs heavy rains, walloping storm surge and tornadoes.

"I expect a lot of damage in Houston from this storm," said Masters, adding that Ike could cause a "huge storm surge" affecting at least 100 miles of the Texas coast.
Houston officials were expecting some flooding, the question is how much.

Patrick Trahan, spokesman for the city of Houston, told The Associated Press early Thursday that "based on the current forecast (we) would expect to see some flooding based solely on the surge in some low-lying areas."

Four counties south and east of Houston have announced mandatory or voluntary evacuations, and authorities began moving weak and chronically ill patients by bus to San Antonio, about 190 miles from Houston. About 1 million people live in the coastal counties between Corpus Christi and Galveston.

But no immediate evacuations were ordered in Harris County, which includes Houston.

The Galveston-Houston area could be on the edge of hurricane-force wind gusts, even if the storm makes land 100 miles to the southwest as some forecasts say is likely, said forecaster Joe Bartosik. Storm surges in the Houston-Galveston area could reach 10 to 14 feet in a Category 3 storm, and as much as 20 feet for a Category 4, said Bartosik, senior meteorologist with WeatherBug, a private weather company with 1,500 weather stations along the Gulf Coast.

The surge in Galveston Bay could push floodwaters into Houston, damaging areas that include the nation's biggest refinery and NASA's Johnson Space Center.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080911/ap_on_re_us/ike&printer=1;_ylt=AgjzPOFdvps1sXdhsYX2C1hH2ocA

Some gas stations are already out of gas.

Also, all toll road fees are waived until Mon.

I am praying for everyone in Ike's path. Please stay safe and get out when they say get out!! I live on the MS gulf coast but it doesn't look like it's coming this way. We are under a TS warning and coastal flooding warning-but thats not much of a big deal around here,lol.
Anyways-if anyone is heading east and needs some help, or may need help please pm me and I will give you my # for just in case!!! Please be safe and don't take this storm litely (or is it lightly?lol)

The mayor of Houston has asked employers to let all non-essential personnel stay home and off the roads. The city will be closed for the most part.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back