Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

Now it looks like it is heading straight for New Orleans, possibly:

uhaI_2_640x480.gif

Yup, both models are showing a possible NOLA landfall around Friday:

Well praise the Lord Hanna weakened to a TS, at least. Everyone had been thinking it could be a Cat 2 when it hit, so it could have been much, much worse. God be with everyone in it's path, as it's still dangerous.

Looks like the east coast will be spared Ike, too, as it's dramatically dipped to the south and will threaten the Gulf, yet again.

I'm in NJ, Hanna is here now. Pouring buckets, but not really any wind...although my TV was knocked out for a bit. The coast must be getting slammed.:eek:

We made it through, without any problems... we got about 3 inches of rains, and the sump pump held its own... so no impromptu swimming pool in our basement. I did see pics, though, showing that Fairfax, VA had flood waters that were waist high. :(

A whole lot of people evac'd for Gustav and then the hurricane petered out. I hope they don't get overconfident and decide to stay for Ike.

A whole lot of people evac'd for Gustav and then the hurricane petered out. I hope they don't get overconfident and decide to stay for Ike.

Yeah its sad because a lot of people cant afford to evacuate again since they wouldnt reimburse our parish for the last one. Its gonna be bad.

im worried that this will happen. such a big hoohaw was made to keep people stranded away from their homes that i myself would be scared to leave, afraid i wouldnt be allowed back until the powers-that-be said i could.

a lot of stupid, politically motivated BS (imo) went on, after a near flawless evacuation. people havent had time to forget it, either :(

We were lucky that Hannah did not cause a lot of flooding where we are. We did have a lot of rain and wind today. I am so sick of rain! Please everyone who is in the path of Ike, be safe.

Ike is a serious hurricane vs. Hanna being a disturbance. I hope that no one takes it less seriously and if authorities say to evacuate than do so. My dad just got power back after Gustav on Friday so another blow to Louisiana could be very disastrous. Anytime a storm packs high winds and a surge is a consideration people need to look at it. Never forget what happened with Katrina.

No danger forgetting here. I'd much rather have my kids somewhere safe than stay in a house with stuff that can be replaced. Or if not replaced I have memories. If it's that derned important I take it with me.

Not leaving because you can't afford it is an excuse. That's why they bussed people out and do shelters, so there will never be another Katrina. Heck, in my area if you had no way to the station they drove right up to your front door to get you!

We don't have an endless supply of money either. We used up our entire hurricane evacuation fund on this one trip. We lived on a credit card after that money was gone and dh will have to borrow against his 401k to pay it off so we can live off of it the next time. And if we couldn't afford it you'd bet your sweet bibby I'd stake a claim on a bed in a shelter in a heartbeat. Nothing is worth risking my children for, nothing.

The government does not owe me a check for living here when we CHOOSE to stay in the way of disasters, or better yet, by not preparing ourselves for disasters that we know are coming.

If you are told to leave and choose to ignore that request, then tough tookies. Don't stick hands out waiting on money to fall into them afterwards. There are NO excuses for it anymore and I for one am tired of hearing about how the government doesn't help us. What about helping ourselves?

To be perfectly clear, this is NOT directed to anyone I know personally, or anyone on this board. I've just been reading some local boards and have had my fill of it all.

No danger forgetting here. I'd much rather have my kids somewhere safe than stay in a house with stuff that can be replaced. Or if not replaced I have memories. If it's that derned important I take it with me.

Not leaving because you can't afford it is an excuse. That's why they bussed people out and do shelters, so there will never be another Katrina. Heck, in my area if you had no way to the station they drove right up to your front door to get you!

We don't have an endless supply of money either. We used up our entire hurricane evacuation fund on this one trip. We lived on a credit card after that money was gone and dh will have to borrow against his 401k to pay it off so we can live off of it the next time. And if we couldn't afford it you'd bet your sweet bibby I'd stake a claim on a bed in a shelter in a heartbeat. Nothing is worth risking my children for, nothing.

The government does not owe me a check for living here when we CHOOSE to stay in the way of disasters, or better yet, by not preparing ourselves for disasters that we know are coming.

If you are told to leave and choose to ignore that request, then tough tookies. Don't stick hands out waiting on money to fall into them afterwards. There are NO excuses for it anymore and I for one am tired of hearing about how the government doesn't help us. What about helping ourselves?

To be perfectly clear, this is NOT directed to anyone I know personally, or anyone on this board. I've just been reading some local boards and have had my fill of it all.

I agree with you and I know you werent speaking about what I said or maybe you were lol but a lot of people do feel they are owed from the govt. I personally do not. I just felt it was unfair that all the other parishes were reimbursed and ours was not. I hope the people heed the warnings and leave if Ike comes this way. This one is gonna be real bad it looks like.

My sister (Dam Neck area of Virginia Beach) said they got a little wind and much-needed rain.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back