Hurricane Katrina Disaster Updates

The looting and chaos seems to be going nuts too - I think people are beginning to think they won't be able to get help, and it's everyone for themselves. A looter shot another looter, another shot a police officer, and looking at the video, people are just stealing everything, not just survival supplies, but random things like watches and clothes. A media crew had to try to chase someone away from stealling their gas cannisters right off of their truck, while they were watching! Sounds like while the hurricane didn't chase the media out, the looters are starting to do so.

Update: Residents in the French Quarter are being told to evacuate as efforts to sandbag the levee break have ended, according to WWL-TV. The pumps in that area are expected to fail and nine feet of water is predicted in the entire east bank within hour.

jubie said:
You know, it's ironic that the very same people looting arm-fulls of stolen things will most likely have to leave those things behind as they are emergency evacuated in the coming hours and days! Sad. They don't see how very dire the situation is. :twocents:

It's just a bunch of stuff, really. Their lives are about to change for the worse by far, again very sad. :hand:
I've been watching the looting videos with just a sick feeling - the depravity of it all - yet I can understand it as well. Desperate souls with nothing to begin with, seem to think that a stolen TV will be their treasure.

As far as the grocery looting...have at it - especially since there's no government- sponsored relief any time soon. Heck - there's no government plan at all!

OB RN said:
I've been watching the looting videos with just a sick feeling - the depravity of it all - yet I can understand it as well. Desperate souls with nothing to begin with, seem to think that a stolen TV will be their treasure.

As far as the grocery looting...have at it - especially since there's no government- sponsored relief any time soon. Heck - there's no government plan at all!
I agree there - unless you loot a grocery store, then sell the food to starving people at outrageous prices.

Mabel said:
While some of the looters are helping themselves to valuables, like electronics, it's also reported that many of them are taking things like diapers and infant formula. Why aren't the store owner's donating these things?

This is what I was saying to my hubby, if it were my store, they could have it get those children in line and feed em'

I just wish I had a big enough place for them all.

Any more news about the prisoners? I didn't watch LKL and haven't seen anything on it.

nope..havent herd any more on TV..I actually missed LKL and was just told about it..I will be watching for word on it though.

Cypros said:
Any more news about the prisoners? I didn't watch LKL and haven't seen anything on it.
I did a search and found this:

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said late Tuesday that her office hasn't been able to verify reports of a prison riot and hostage-taking at a New Orleans jail.

Orleans Parish Prison Commissioner Oliver Thomas told an ABC News affiliate that inmates at the prison have rioted, attempted to escape and are now holding hostages.

Thomas told WBRZ News in Baton Rouge, La. that a deputy at the prison, his wife and their four children have been taken hostage by rioting prisoners after riding out the hurricane inside the jail building.

Blanco said downed communications systems have made it impossible to confirm the report.

Thanks Dara.

Boy it just doesn't end! I wonder if the prisoners realize that they hav eno place to go? Let's hope it isn't true.

You're welcome, Cypros. I only found two references, and both were the same publication. So, I'm hoping it's not true. But it's so specific, I fear it might be.

Miss Daisey said:
DK, I don't think that's very sympathic to say that right now.

The levees were built 30yrs ago in preparation for a Cat 3 storm. That was then. This is now. To imply they had it coming doesn't sound right to me, IMO
I didn't say they had it coming, I am saying after last year's miss, they should have started building the levees higher and getting ready for a Cat 4 or 5, but they didn't. I am not the only one saying that, as apparently some people have been trying to get the levees and pumps upgraded for several years, to no avail. This amount of damage could have been prevented, to some extent, but wasn't. That makes me very sad. How in the world will they ever get that water our of New Orleans????

concernedperson said:
Kgeaux has been OK through this but she may not be OK throughout the rest of it.Much help is needed and it will filter wherever it is needed. So, send up your prayers to her because she has a giant heart and will more than likely take on a lot and a lot that will cause inconvenience. So, Karen, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I will find a way to help.
I'm so sad tonight!!! I can't even look!!!Hope Kgeaux has a good place to rest.This is the worst!!!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/HurricaneKatrina/story?id=1081633&page=1

Official: Prisoners Riot, Take Hostages in New OrleansChildren Reportedly Among Those Held Captive

Aug. 30, 2005 — Inmates at a prison in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans have rioted, attempted to escape and are now holding hostages, a prison commissioner told ABC News affiliate WBRZ in Baton Rouge, La.

Orleans Parish Prison Commissioner Oliver Thomas reported the incident to WBRZ.

Dark Knight said:
I didn't say they had it coming, I am saying after last year's miss, they should have started building the levees higher and getting ready for a Cat 4 or 5, but they didn't. I am not the only one saying that, as apparently some people have been trying to get the levees and pumps upgraded for several years, to no avail. This amount of damage could have been prevented, to some extent, but wasn't. That makes me very sad. How in the world will they ever get that water our of New Orleans????

SSSoooo...in retrospect, we can un-do this now? I think not. Let's concentrate on trying to help these people tomorrow. Open to suggestions. Let's save history lessons for future generations. Any ideas?

All I can see is that the Red Cross has a lot more experience in this than any of us do, they know what is needed. I think the only things that can really help right now are cash donations (because it's easier for them to send cash to some store near the disaster and get a cheap bulk rate on whatever supplies they need), and blood donations will no doubt be badly needed.

I guess there I can help - I'm a regular - if you have questions, just ask. Donating blood is pretty easy, and makes a huge difference in people's lives - I highly recommend it. There are occasional bad experiences, but those are almost always caused by one common mistake - never go in to donate blood when you haven't had enough to eat and drink that day. Have a bite to eat, and plenty to drink a little while before you go in, and you will have very little trouble.

heavenlydaze said:
SSSoooo...in retrospect, we can un-do this now? I think not. Let's concentrate on trying to help these people tomorrow. Open to suggestions. Let's save history lessons for future generations. Any ideas?
How about "Never build in coastal areas that are below sea level."

It's important to look at what can be done to prevent this in the future, and the cost of that. That'll determine if we should attempt to rebuild, or if this is a bad idea, it'll happen again if we rebuild there.

Remember, all this is from a near miss of a hurricane that wasn't even a Cat5. They got the weak side of a cat4, and that did all this damage. How possible is it to rebuild something that will withstand a direct hit?

Details said:
It's important to look at what can be done to prevent this in the future, and the cost of that. That'll determine if we should attempt to rebuild, or if this is a bad idea, it'll happen again if we rebuild there.
\

I agree. If it's too raw now, I can certainly wait to discuss preventative measures, but imo it's worth talking about. Especially if you believe things like this Boston Globe opinion piece, which blames global warming. There are a lot of factors at play and I'd like to discuss them when and if others want to.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gentlegirl
Back