Hurricane Katrina to possibly become a Cat 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have family in Biloxi and Pascagola. We can't contact them.

Here on the beach in FL we have still got rains and wind. Most of the electricity is out. Fortunate to have it here.
I want to go help. I guess they have enough volunteers. I did donate yesterday to the Redcross website.

The mayor of New Orleans says 80% of the city is underwater with some sections under 20 ft of water.
There is going to be massive deaths.

The breach triggered rapidly rising floodwaters in the city's downtown and prompted at least one hospital to evacuate patients by air.

The death toll was expected to climb from one of the most powerful hurricanes to hit the U.S. Gulf Coast in half a century. Fifty of the deaths occurred in one county in Mississippi, CNN confirmed.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin confirmed the breach in a local TV interview. City fire officials said the break was about 200 feet long in the levee surrounding the 17th Street Canal.

"The city of New Orleans is in a state of devastation. We probably have 80 percent of our city underwater. With some sections of our city, the water is as deep as 20 feet."

The state Department of Emergency Preparedness said the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers was holding a meeting on the breach.

A hospital across from Tulane, Charity Hospital, was evacuating its 90 patients by air, she said. The hospitals are in the city's central business district.

Water at Tulane's hospital had been rising at the rate of a foot an hour, Caraway said, and had reached the top of the first floor.

"It's dumping all the lake water in Orleans Parish," she said. "It's essentially running down Canal Street. We have whitecaps on Canal Street.

"We now are completely surrounded by 6 feet of water and are about to get on the phone with Federal Emergency Management Agency to start talking about evacuation plans," Caraway said.

"The water is rising so fast, I can't even begin to describe how fast it is rising."

She did not know whether any pumps had been turned on to pump the water but said, "They're not going to be able to compete with Lake Pontchartrain."

The storm's survivors face months of displacement.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is preparing to house "at least tens of thousands of victims ... for literally months on end," the agency's director, Michael Brown, said Monday night.

Lakes and rivers were still spilling over levees late Monday, and "it's going to get worse before it gets better," Brown said.

Veteran FEMA staffers who have surveyed the destruction are reporting some of the worst damage they have ever seen, he said.

The American Red Cross said it is launching the largest relief operation in its history.

Blanco said she had ordered state police to block re-entry routes to all but emergency workers. She said preliminary reports indicate Katrina "devastated" parts of at least six parishes in Louisiana.

In Mississippi, streets and homes were flooded as far as 6 miles inland, and the eastbound lanes of Interstate 10 between Gulfport and Biloxi were impassable because of storm debris.

Both states experienced looting.

A crowd of about 50 to 75 people swarmed through a supermarket in New Orleans, taking out shopping carts full of goods before police arrived.

Looting was reported by police in Gulfport, where the storm surge left downtown streets under 10 feet of water.

Katrina's outer bands spawned tornados in Georgia Monday evening. Three twisters were reported in Georgia, one in central Peach County and two in the northwest counties of Carroll and Paulding. One person in Carroll County was critically injured.

After topping levees in New Orleans, Katrina inundated the Louisiana and Mississippi coasts with a 20-foot storm surge.

In Mobile, Alabama, the storm pushed water from Mobile Bay into downtown, submerging large sections of the city, and officials imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew.

An oil drilling platform broke away from its moorings and lodged under a bridge that carries U.S. Highway 98 over the Mobile River.
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/30/katrina/

Becba said:
I have family in Biloxi and Pascagola. We can't contact them.

Here on the beach in FL we have still got rains and wind. Most of the electricity is out. Fortunate to have it here.
I want to go help. I guess they have enough volunteers. I did donate yesterday to the Redcross website.

The mayor of New Orleans says 80% of the city is underwater with some sections under 20 ft of water.
There is going to be massive deaths.

I haven't heard anything on Pascagola, but Biloxi got hit hard. I bolded in a couple of the above articles, because you said you had family or friends in Gulfport.

See I don't know how or where my hubby will work now. His van was in Gulfport, his boat works from many ports but all the ports are torn up, all the research people employeed were sent home. He doesn't even know where he can dock the boat and he is 4 states away from home.

The homeland security Nazis boarded today since they came in the other night without a 48 hr requisit. They told them they were classified as a foreign vessle and would be seized or sent out to sea at their discretion.
Hubby showed all the paper work yet they didn't stop bullying til they contacted his office.
I want to cry ever time I see the man on CNN saying he lost his wife seeking help on his roof. She told him to take care of the kids and grandkids.
I think he said his name was Harley Jackson? It was so sad.

mysteriew said:
I haven't heard anything on Pascagola, but Biloxi got hit hard. I bolded in a couple of the above articles, because you said you had family or friends in Gulfport.
Thank you.
We know Gulfport is under water approx. 5 miles inland. Pascaguola is near by.
We have checked everything. Because the ones we called did not answer before the storm we hope they got out. One family friend has a wife who is very sick.
I don't know he could move her.

Becba said:
See I don't know how or where my hubby will work now. His van was in Gulfport, his boat works from many ports but all the ports are torn up, all the research people employeed were sent home. He doesn't even know where he can dock the boat and he is 4 states away from home.

The homeland security Nazis boarded today since they came in the other night without a 48 hr requisit. They told them they were classified as a foreign vessle and would be seized or sent out to sea at their discretion.
Hubby showed all the paper work yet they didn't stop bullying til they contacted his office.
I want to cry ever time I see the man on CNN saying he lost his wife seeking help on his roof. She told him to take care of the kids and grandkids.
I think he said his name was Harley Jackson? It was so sad.

There are going to be a whole lot of sad stories for the next week. First will be reports of damage and body counts (they are expecting them to be high). I fear the flooding will get worse next week with the flooding they are expecting up here will drift back down the Mississippi. Then will be peoples stories in the shelter, then people going back to no homes, then finally there will be stories of help, of miricles, of survivals, and of recovery. It is devastating and no one can change that. But it is survivable, and they will recover.

65 fatalities, so far, with massive flooding of New Orleans beginning due to the breeches of the levees that happened overnight. New evacuations are starting, as a result.

LOL! Mysteriew is so far ahead of my news updates I will just let her handle it, rather than practically repeating what she posts, lol! You go, girl!
blowkises.gif

Dark Knight said:
LOL! Mysteriew is so far ahead of my news updates I will just let her handle it, rather than practically repeating what she posts, lol! You go, girl!
blowkises.gif

I got called the seeker the other day (LOL, it wasn't meant as a compliment). Guess that is what I am though. If I can't be there, I want to see or read about it. What I read, I often post- if pertinent to something on here.

mysteriew said:
I got called the seeker the other day (LOL, it wasn't meant as a compliment). Guess that is what I am though. If I can't be there, I want to see or read about it. What I read, I often post- if pertinent to something on here.
I am duly impressed, lol!
wink.gif
Thanks for keeping everyone so well informed!!! You should be in news!

Dark Knight said:
I am duly impressed, lol!
wink.gif
Thanks for keeping everyone so well informed!!! You should be in news!

If I was to do it all over again, I would.
Mainly I just have some good sources, that makes it easy.

Speaking from Charley experience.......initial reports regarding body bags and fatality numbers were no where near reality, so I am hoping this turns out the same.......even after seeing how utterly devestating this storm was.

RR

One of the reports I saw on TV they were interviewing a resident of Biloxi, Ms. He said that they were totally unprepared. People were leaving NO and some ended up in Biloxi trying to leave the hurricane behind. Instead they took a hit. I am still not seeing too many broadcasts out of NO. What I am seeing is whole blocks just absolutely leveled. Lots of debris, but few buildings.

As dawn broke over the ravaged Gulf Coast on Tuesday, rescuers in boats and helicopters furiously searched for survivors of Hurricane Katrina. The governor said the death toll in just one Mississippi county could be as high as 80.

``The devastation down there is just enormous,'' Gov. Haley Barbour said Tuesday on NBC's ``Today'' show.

Barbour said there were unconfirmed reports of up to 80 fatalities in Harrison County, which contains Gulfport and Biloxi, and the number was likely to rise.

``We know that there is a lot of the coast that we have not been able to get to,'' Barbour said. ``I hate to say it, but it looks like it is a very bad disaster in terms of human life.''

Tree trucks, downed power lines and chunks of broken concrete that littered streets hampered rescue efforts. Swirling water in many areas hid submerged dangers.

Mississippi Emergency Management Agency officials refused to confirm the deaths.

The total does not include 11 deaths in South Florida when a much-weaker Katrina first made landfall last week.

In New Orleans, residents who had ridden out the brunt of Katrina now faced a second more insidious threat as two different levee breaches sent a churning sea of water from Lake Pontchartrain coursing through city streets Tuesday.

Katrina knocked out power to more than a million people from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle, and authorities said it could be two months before electricity is restored to everyone. Katrina disrupted Gulf Coast petroleum output and rattled energy markets.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,1282,-5242855,00.html

I was listening to the news reports while driving into work this morning. Devastating. I pray for all of those affected by this. :angel:

I posted a long update yesterday, but it's not appearing in the thread, so I must've done something wrong. (wouldn't be the first time!)

There seems to be a little confusion as to where I'm located, but I'm in Lafayette, not Baton Rouge. Lafayette is northwest of BR. The 35 miles east that Katrina chose to hit land made all the difference for my area. We had some gusty wind, but I don't think we hit anywhere near the 60mph that had been forecast. I think we had less than 1 inch of rain----I'll have to get out and water my potted plants later! I have heard that some people have some tree branches down, but Lilly cleaned out our trees pretty well when she came through, so I don't think there's any real damage to speak of.

I have family in BR. She lost a tree, but Praise God, it did not fall on her home or vehicle. She & her family are safe, and that's whats important! My MIL has a vacation condo in Gulfport, MS. (She's here with us in Laf, she is safe.) We haven't been able to learn anything about the condo. But since it is across the highway from the beach, I'm thinking it's gone. Can't get through to anyone to ask.

My across the street neighbor has all her family from New Orleans staying with her. There's about 8 cars, but I think only 5 families! None of them know yet if they have homes to go back to. Spirits are high, they are alive and houses can be replaced. The things they saved: pictures of their babies, marriage and birth certificates, school mementos from when the kids were young! They grabbed what could not be replaced and escaped.

I have been watching the news and it is unbelievable how much destruction this storm caused. My God! How many lives will end up being lost?

I have been doing some serious thinking about how we handle these emergencies in Louisiana. I think ALL major cities along evacuation routes should be required to open the doors to any and all refuge centers. We were blessed that churches opened their doors, but there were still people sleeping on the grass surrounding the Walmart parking lot. That ought not to be.

Can anyone post a link for a good source of info on the Mobile area. I have a Great Aunt who is in her late 90's and lives alone in Mobile. I am not sure how far inland she is but from looking at her adress on mapquest not far. She lives just NW of I-10. The star on the map is her address.

Has Ntegrity posted lately? She lives in the FWB area. I'm wondering how much damage there was in that area.

RiverRat said:
Speaking from Charley experience.......initial reports regarding body bags and fatality numbers were no where near reality, so I am hoping this turns out the same.......even after seeing how utterly devestating this storm was.

RR
Body bags is your estimate?
This storm is going to take all the body bags there are.
I live around there.
Lots of people are dead. More than you want to think about.
Not just the guy that served anyone a drink. It is him and his whole family.
There is no way to touch what is lost.

Becba said:
Body bags is your estimate?
This storm is going to take all the body bags there are.
I live around there.
Lots of people are dead. More than you want to think about.
Not just the guy that served anyone a drink. It is him and his whole family.
There is no way to touch what is lost.
Becba, what specific area are you referring to? I am glad that you are safe and hope that all of your family & friends are too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA