IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't they say they found evidence by the lake, or bikes but could not share what they found? This was announced shortly before they said they believe the girls are alive, please correct me if I am wrong. TIA

IIRC LE did not specify where they found the evidence.

"We believe these girls are alive and we are not discouraged by the passage of time since their disappearance," FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault told reporters in Evansdale, Iowa.

She declined to discuss exactly what evidence investigators might have that pushed them toward that conclusion. Breault said she believes someone knows something, and she urged anyone with information to step forward.

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-07-21/..._lyric-and-elizabeth-lyric-cook-disappearance

ALSO:

"We believe the two girls are alive," FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault told ABC News. Breault said this belief was based partly on the evidence found Friday, but would not elaborate further

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fbi-believes-missing-iowa-girls-alive/story?id=16827922

I was just thinking of this the other day... remember those fire fighter window stickers you would put in a kids window to let firemen know it was a kids room (in case of a fire)? Perfect way for a perp to know whose room that was.

OMG- THANK YOU FOR THIS POST- I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THAT, I HAVE THOSE IN MY GIRLS WINDOWS, so does my neighbor. Ok BRB....

OMG- THANK YOU FOR THIS POST- I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THAT, I HAVE THOSE IN MY GIRLS WINDOWS, so does my neighbor. Ok BRB....

OT

I thought they stopped that program years ago --- for this very reason. Just like people stopped advertising the birth of a baby with a big 'its a boy or its a girl' sign in their front yard.

Thanks. so the FBI is still involved but in this latest statement by Breault, she doesn't say anything to indicate they think the girls are alive, nor does she refer to the "evidence" reference earlier in the investigation.

"We believe these girls are alive and we are not discouraged by the passage of time since their disappearance," FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault told reporters in Evansdale, Iowa.

She declined to discuss exactly what evidence investigators might have that pushed them toward that conclusion. Breault said she believes someone knows something, and she urged anyone with information to step forward.

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-07-21/..._lyric-and-elizabeth-lyric-cook-disappearance

Thanks. This is from 21 July. I would like to know what their current take is concerning this supposed evidence and the belief that the girls are alive. As quoted above, neither was touched upon by FBI spokesperson Breault. Frustrating!

OT

I thought they stopped that program years ago --- for this very reason. Just like people stopped advertising the birth of a baby with a big 'its a boy or its a girl' sign in their front yard.

They may have stopped the program but I have seen those window stickers alot. I guess people left them up. I know my sister has one up still.

Sorry for asking again but in the last thread i believe it was. I asked if FBI is still involved but didn't see an answer. Are they still involved?TIA

According to Chief Deputy Rick Abben, there has been no reduction in the number of officers working the case.

So, not a direct answer because DCI could send officers if the FBI withdrew agents.

I think it's more likely, though, that the FBI agents are still working the case.

http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-feel-strongly-missing-iowa-girls-alive-181400636.html

FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault told "Today" Tuesday, "We feel strongly that the girls are alive." The FBI's theory is based on physical evidence, but the agency isn't saying what that evidence is. Earlier reports said there were no signs of a struggle in the area of the presumed abduction site.

BBM I have never seen where FBI or any LE agency has stated that their evidence is physical. I wonder if this is a reporter's leap/assumption.

I am off to see if I can find Breault's statements to triple check that she herself never described the evidence as "physical"

I just did this check last week but just in case I'm going to do it again. I hate when reporters make poor paraphrasing choices.

I think the girls are alive. And I think LE's public activity level (minus the current white van hysteria) bears that out. LE said the girls are alive and the passage of time isn't going to discourage them. So, it makes sense to me that LE is backing off and hoping for a break rather than keeping the public pressure up and forcing someone's hand.

OT

Iowa must have missed the memo, I never heard anything about that. We have businesses that rent those signs and you see them everywhere (the new baby signs). They also rent huge happy birthday signs like Spongebob, Dora, etc... That read the child's name and birthdate. I always thought they were like advertising your child to the perp. They would know the child's name, and how old they are, that they just celebrated their birthday. Way too much info.

Also, at the county fair here and across the river firemen have display tables with material teaching families how to be safe and one of the items on the table is a pile of stickers that read child's room, and it sticks to the window.

Sorry, I guess today I am just in stupid mode, but in what cases we have sleuthed on WS has there been a white van involved. The ones I have followed did not have a clue as to what was used and in SL's case it was a small compact car. I just think I may have missed something. Can you help me out? tia

If you click on the "search" link at the top of the page, you can search for "white van". This should give you a list of discussions involving white vans on WS. You can go advanced if you want to narrow the parameters of your search.

There are quite a few links to MSM articles on this very thread referencing white vans in relation to recent kidnap attempts in Iowa.

I think the girls are alive. And I think LE's public activity level (minus the current white van hysteria) bears that out. LE said the girls are alive and the passage of time isn't going to discourage them. So, it makes sense to me that LE is backing off and hoping for a break rather than keeping the public pressure up and forcing someone's hand.

That was 13 days ago though, and it was the FBI. Nothing else from them, except to say they don't want to discuss the content of the tips that are coming in. IMO

To me it is discouraging.

IMO, the white van stuff was a red herring.

Keep in mind that, statistically speaking, your child is in more danger from a house fire than from disappearing.

The majority of children victimised by sexual abuse are abused by people within the household. Add in those children who are abused by someone not in the household but well known to the family and you're talking about the vast majority of victims.

Fires, though, are not deterred by relationships.

Last year, one of the two houses belonging to the people across the road burned down in the middle of the night (main farmhouse and a grandma house). They have a 3 year old and a 5 year old. They have more than one vehicle because, well, lots of farmers do.

The back house that burned was set way back from the road and over a sort of rise, so that it was not visible from the road, not even the roof. We didn't see the flames until they were shooting 20-30 feet into the sky over the roof.

My heart was hammering while the volunteer firefighters were risking their own lives going into a burning structure to search for possible victims. There was no one home but there was no way to know that. I didn't calm down until the count came back and everyone knew that all firefighters were out of the building (parts of the roof were collapsing at that point).

Sadly, the way their property was laid out, only one firetruck could be pulled up close to the house. I won't even try to describe it, it's just too complicated. The call had gone out to five departments that responded and there were plenty of trucks, but only one could get close. They ran three more hoses up from the road but still, it would have been better to have been able to get more trucks up to the house.

I sure said a lot of blessings to the sensible farmers who built my house 81 years ago because my driveway makes a U shape around my house. If I ever have a house fire, they'll be able to surround the house with firetrucks!

Even though the entire house was destroyed, no humans were hurt. And that was the most important thing.

Oh, I remember that book! That was also when McGruff the crime dog was introduced in schools.

I think the absolute best program was the DARE program to teach school aged children the cause and effect of drug use. Each school had an Officer Dare. Of course they cut that program a few years ago because of budget cuts. (this is all In Iowa).

Also, because of all the abduction attempts here this summer the schools should have LE come in and talk to the kids, at least the elementary and middle school level. I want my girls to be safe, informed and aware of what can happen, but at the same time I don't want to scare them half to death either. Such a fine line there between informed and scared.

I used to think the DARE program was effective but then my daughter told me something kind of sad/funny. She told me that it was a known thing that the people wearing DARE t-shirts at a rave were the ones selling ecstasy to the crowd. [ When you 'graduate from the D.A.R.E. program a kid is given a t-shirt with the huge DARE logo on the front.]

Those DARE t-shirts the kids were given in 5th and 6th grades became a fashion trend when they were in high school, often worn with zig-zags tucked into their jeans pocket. lol

I would leave those stickers in place. There is a greater chance of fire than there is of a random kidnapper coming to your home. imo

I was just thinking of this the other day... remember those fire fighter window stickers you would put in a kids window to let firemen know it was a kids room (in case of a fire)? Perfect way for a perp to know whose room that was.

Funny, because I had told my husband we needed one of those for our son's room. I had one when I was a kid. My husband looked at me like I was insane ... his father was a firefighter and even back in the '70s wouldn't put those in his kids' windows because it's an invitation to kidnappers, child molesters and people who want to break in (a child is less likely to fight an intruder coming in the window).

I heard investigators were at the lake last night investigating again. Anyone else hear that?

1789 White Van Attempted Abductions in the last 12 months.... :waitasec:

That is scary to me... These are Possible what the descriptions have been.

attachment.php

I am trying to create a database with information like this. Do you possibly have a link to that information that you would be willing to share?

tia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member