IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pointing out that those closest to the case have no problems envisioning the timeline themselves -

From Nancy Grace

GRACE: Good question. Let`s go to Lyric`s mom, Misty Cook-Morrissey. Also with us, the grandmother, Wylma Cook.

Was that their pattern, Miss Wylma?

WYLMA COOK, MISSING GIRLS` GRANDMA, LAST TO SEE THE GIRLS ALIVE: No, it wasn`t no pattern, because we were always at Heather`s house in the morning and they could have went for a bike ride maybe 9:00, for a short bike ride, and come back. And there was no pattern.

And then another thing I want to say is down by the lake, going, not the bike path, somebody could have snatched them along the road. If there was two people in a van, they could have thrown those kids in their van with their bikes and there`s another way to drive by the houses and get to the end of that trail and they could have chunked the bikes down there with the children.

GRACE: To Misty Cook-Morrissey, explain to me again what Miss. Cook is saying. I think I get it but I want to understand it as it relates to that bike path and where the grandma`s home is.

COOK-MORRISSEY: OK. OK.

GRACE: So what is she saying?

COOK-MORRISSEY: I just started -- I just started the job at Casey`s, so the last five days, Lyric and Elizabeth have been playing at Heather`s every day, taking bike rides, so as far as a pattern, yes, could somebody have been watching them there, and seeing that they play together, that hang out together, this last week. Yes, that could have happened.

What she`s saying is at the end of the U that you were shown, the trail comes around here, the bikes were found here, You come to that end of it, this bridge is out into a wooded area and right here is a big patch of grass where you can pull your vehicles up on to and that`s where we parked our vehicles to get back on the trail and go back this way.

So that`s what she`s saying, that someone could have very well come into that grassy area on the south side of the trail that ends as far as being able to walk or ride a bike.

Neither Misty nor Wylma have any problem with the timeline, nor does Aunt Tammy nor Dan.

If those most affected think that's when and how the girls were taken, it's likely the hypothesis LE are working on.

:cow:

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/17/ng.01.html

This was July 17th. . .when did the info about the cctv come out? I think it was posted upthread. . .I'll look.

I had been meaning to watch The Lovely Bones since Morgan Harrington's bones were discovered in a farmer's field in 2010, when the film was first released. I watched it today ... I think it gives insight into the situation that we're dealing with here.

OT... Just watched the new movie, THE TALL MAN
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1658837/

Has anyone else seen this? It's about children who are abducted, who seem to vanish. I don't want to give anything away, but this movie really made me think about why some children go missing... Watch it, it's worth the pay per view price. Like I said, really has me thinking about who "the tall man" really is in some of these cases.

OT... Just watched the new movie, THE TALL MAN
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1658837/

Has anyone else seen this? It's about children who are abducted, who seem to vanish. I don't want to give anything away, but this movie really made me think about why some children go missing... Watch it, it's worth the pay per view price. Like I said, really has me thinking about who "the tall man" really is in some of these cases.

As long as it's not another Megan is Missing horror flick, I'll give it a shot.

What do you think about The Lovely Bones scenario, with or without the bunker? Could that have happened? The girls were taken from the area, possibly by someone they knew casually and who is familiar with the area ... where did they go? If it was a spontaneous event, why wouldn't they have been found in Maiden Lane? Police would have DNA evidence on the bodies, but still it seems like the obvious first choice for someone acting spontaneously. Where would someone take two children on a Friday afternoon if it was planned, not spontaneous? Are there any old farms in the area?

Did they have a two or three hour head start?

No, it's not at all. I liked it but it really has me thinking.... Let me know how you feel after you see it...

Found it!

I think

LE got the video on the 16th IIRC.

Presser (FBI) asking for people prior to 3 pm was on the 22nd.

And, the story with Mr. Pahl and the video was on the 25th.

(I don't remember when we first saw the video but I believe it was earlier than the 25th.)

It was only 4 days earlier when they had a false alarm, and it sounds like they had the same reaction then ... call police. Perhaps they first called friends, then other parents, then police that time too. If I'd had a false alarm and four days later was again calling police about the same child possibly being late ... missing again, I'd want to look harder the second time ... so it may be that they delayed this time. Still, it's a mindset.

My children would go to the park when they were young and I would expect them back at a certain time. If they didn't show up on time, I would give them some slack. If they still didn't show up, I would go to the park. If they weren't there, I would go home, call friend's homes and more often than not, they would be there.

I agree. . .but I don't think it implies, in any way, that the family thought somebody was out to get them.

Does anyone have a link to the video where Aunt T. said that the girls had been to the lake before that day right when WC was saying that they had not been to the lake before? I never got to see it but would like to if it's available anywhere. I could check youtube if I could remember who did the interview.

Found it!

Thanks for posting this. I have been trying to confirm for myself that WC had already stated that she saw the girls a little after noon when the video first came out. So far, I've only found articles dated from the 17th that say that she saw them around that time so that was the day after the first video release. Hmmm... I'll keep looking but I really, really think that she did say that before either of the video releases.

I agree. . .but I don't think it implies, in any way, that the family thought somebody was out to get them.

That isn't what I was thinking. I was wondering if there was something that the girls were doing or saying, something that gave the parents a heads up ... like maybe Lyric asking if she could go to Meyers Lake. Maybe there was something going on, but the parents weren't completely up on everything, couldn't read between the lines until Lyric was late twice ... once too often.

It was only 4 days earlier when they had a false alarm, and it sounds like they had the same reaction then ... call police. Perhaps they first called friends, then other parents, then police that time too. If I'd had a false alarm and four days later was again calling police about the same child possibly being late ... missing again, I'd want to look harder the second time ... so it may be that they delayed this time. Still, it's a mindset.

My children would go to the park when they were young and I would expect them back at a certain time. If they didn't show up on time, I would give them some slack. If they still didn't show up, I would go to the park. If they weren't there, I would go home, call friend's homes and more often than not, they would be there.

IIRC it was Lyric and a different (11 year-old?) cousin the first time. This time it was Lyric and 8 year-old Elizabeth, and it was Elizabeth's mother who went to the police. It was also in a much smaller town, Evansdale vs Waterloo, which I would imagine has fewer places to look.

I see two things on overhead maps that could be a paddle boat. One is something on top of a dock attached to property owned by a family with a huge house. The other is a small yellow water vessel further to the east of the first spot. The first spot makes more sense because it is near the parking area.

IIRC it was Lyric and a different (11 year-old?) cousin the first time. This time it was Lyric and 8 year-old Elizabeth, and it was Elizabeth's mother who went to the police. It was also in a much smaller town, Evansdale vs Waterloo, which I would imagine has fewer places to look.

Thank you. Still, it was Lyric that was late twice, not the other two. That is the common factor that I'm looking at. Was she exploring something or experimenting? Had she had some contact with someone? How often did she go to the other park with the other cousin, or by herself? Did she just begin exploring parks a few blocks from home? Where did she get the idea from ... what was the lure in going to the parks ... was she riding bikes the first time too?

Attachments

• MeyersPaddleboats.jpg
    MeyersPaddleboats.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 8
Thank you. Still, it was Lyric that was late twice, not the other two. That is the common factor that I'm looking at. Was she exploring something or experimenting? Had she had some contact with someone? How often did she go to the other park with the other cousin, or by herself? Did she just begin exploring parks a few blocks from home? Where did she get the idea from ... what was the lure in going to the parks ... was she riding bikes the first time too?

The first time that she was 'late' coming home she was with her 12 yr old cousin, Aunt Tammy's girl, and they were walking. They were supposed to be at a local park, but apparently someone went and looked for them there and they were not there. And just as mom was about to call LE, the girls came walking up the driveway.

Now this was a different town and different neighborhood, so I am not sure it was even connected. Other than Lyric was kind of testing her boundaries.

The first time that she was 'late' coming home she was with her 12 yr old cousin, Aunt Tammy's girl, and they were walking. They were supposed to be at a local park, but apparently someone went and looked for them there and they were not there. And just as mom was about to call LE, the girls came walking up the driveway.

Now this was a different town and different neighborhood, so I am not sure it was even connected. Other than Lyric was kind of testing her boundaries.

I suppose that she was testing her boundaries ... was she curious about meeting boys or having fun on a boat?

What do you think about The Lovely Bones scenario, with or without the bunker? Could that have happened? The girls were taken from the area, possibly by someone they knew casually and who is familiar with the area ... where did they go? If it was a spontaneous event, why wouldn't they have been found in Maiden Lane? Police would have DNA evidence on the bodies, but still it seems like the obvious first choice for someone acting spontaneously. Where would someone take two children on a Friday afternoon if it was planned, not spontaneous? Are there any old farms in the area?

I've never seen The Lovely Bones, I am going to see if it is on On Demand now... As far as the other questions, Going to look at something, will get back to you...

I've never seen The Lovely Bones, I am going to see if it is on On Demand now... As far as the other questions, Going to look at something, will get back to you...

There's a cornfield.

The only thing I can speculate is about the possibility of a bunker built into a crop field.

It seems unlikely to me because the bunker would have to be able to withstand 20 tons of weight going over it. Yes, I mean 40,000 pounds. That would require more than just 2x4s for shoring, I think.

It would definitely be a major project and I can't imagine any farmer not noticing someone carrying out such an extensive project in their field.

The whole Waterloo/Cedar Falls area is surrounded by farmland. Most of it in production, some of it is in agricultural subsidy and not used.

Deer hunting starts 15 September, which is good for hunters finding things in shelterbelts, forests and windbreaks. Pheasant season starts 20 October, good for hunters finding things in open fields.

I agree Lyric is the target, common factor, here. I think she either met someone online, or someone at the beach where her mom said they had spent time this summer. I think there was a pre-arranged meeting and Elizabeth was along for security or to keep grandma from wondering why Lyric would be going out alone. I think Lyric being late the week before was just her being a kid a pushing her limits, or she just lost track of time. I don't think she met up with her secret pal that night because her cousin who was along that night would have told LE, (hopefully). Elizabeth took the purse with the cell phone along for "emergencies" maybe she thought just in case this secret meeting does not go as planned she would use it.

If Lyric met someone online LE knows about it. If she met someone while at the beach, maybe her mom wasn't paying enough attention to have any info on the person to give to LE.

I don't think it was a chance grab. I really think this person(s) was meeting her and I also believe the bikes were staged so LE would think the girls were still in the area or even drowned.

Another thought, what if someone Lyric met through her dad's company flirted with her enough to make her want to meet him or not be surprised to see him on the street? She would trust that person because her dad knows him, he must be okay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500