IA IA - Erin Pospisil, 15, Cedar Rapids, 3 June 2001

I went to school with Erin and her two older bothers; Jim was two years older than me, Eric was in my grade, she was a year younger. There was obvious parental neglect in the house - they always came to school in dirty, tattered clothes, rarely took showers (their lack of personal hygiene was so distracting, admin used to carve out time once in a while in between classes to allow them to shower in the locker room due to the numerous complaints from other students), and they were constantly in trouble, both with the school and the police. By the time we got to high school, they each lasted one or two trimesters freshman year before getting kicked out and sent to the alternative high school.
Erin's behavior was erratic for years. She hung out with equally erratic people and constantly picked fights. She was very much considered a high-risk teen. I'm not here to bash, I'm simply painting a picture.
Wow, thank you so much for this context, I never knew this. Not anywhere else online. I really appreciate the info.

I went to school with Erin and her two older bothers; Jim was two years older than me, Eric was in my grade, she was a year younger. There was obvious parental neglect in the house - they always came to school in dirty, tattered clothes, rarely took showers (their lack of personal hygiene was so distracting, admin used to carve out time once in a while in between classes to allow them to shower in the locker room due to the numerous complaints from other students), and they were constantly in trouble, both with the school and the police. By the time we got to high school, they each lasted one or two trimesters freshman year before getting kicked out and sent to the alternative high school.
Erin's behavior was erratic for years. She hung out with equally erratic people and constantly picked fights. She was very much considered a high-risk teen. I'm not here to bash, I'm simply painting a picture.
Unfortunately, this would make sense. The main photo used for Erin's missing person files looks like a mugshot from a juvenile detention center.

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) - The man now charged with first-degree murder in a 2007 Cedar Rapids homicide also has connections to a more than 20-year-old missing person case also in Cedar Rapids.

Curtis Padgett, 42, is charged with first-degree murder in the May 2007 death of Dennis First. First, 64, was found dead in his apartment in the 2200 block of C St. SW on May 11th, 2007. On Wednesday, police announced charges had been filed in the case after nearly 16 years.
Erin Pospisil disappeared from her Cedar Rapids home on the evening of June 3, 2001.

Padgett is also the last person seen with Erin Pospisil when she disappeared in 2001 from her home in Cedar Rapids. Pospisil, then 15, was reported missing on June 3, 2001. She was last seen leaving her home with Padgett, a friend of her brother, according to investigators.

Padgett said that he gave Pospisil a ride to a friend’s home in southeast Cedar Rapids. Padgett said that no one answered at the friend’s home and Pospisil then left in another vehicle that had pulled up to the home. She reportedly told Padgett that she would get a ride with the people in the car. She has not been seen since that night.

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) - The man now charged with first-degree murder in a 2007 Cedar Rapids homicide also has connections to a more than 20-year-old missing person case also in Cedar Rapids.

Curtis Padgett, 42, is charged with first-degree murder in the May 2007 death of Dennis First. First, 64, was found dead in his apartment in the 2200 block of C St. SW on May 11th, 2007. On Wednesday, police announced charges had been filed in the case after nearly 16 years.
Erin Pospisil disappeared from her Cedar Rapids home on the evening of June 3, 2001.

Padgett is also the last person seen with Erin Pospisil when she disappeared in 2001 from her home in Cedar Rapids. Pospisil, then 15, was reported missing on June 3, 2001. She was last seen leaving her home with Padgett, a friend of her brother, according to investigators.

Padgett said that he gave Pospisil a ride to a friend’s home in southeast Cedar Rapids. Padgett said that no one answered at the friend’s home and Pospisil then left in another vehicle that had pulled up to the home. She reportedly told Padgett that she would get a ride with the people in the car. She has not been seen since that night.
I jumped from the first post of this thread to the last page. From the first post, Curtis jumped right out. Now he's been charged with another person's murder?

Being in trouble as a teen makes them more vulnerable to predators and this is almost certainly the case here.

Hope this case is solved soon.

Listening to old episodes of the Vanished podcast and this case really bothers me. I can't believe Curtis just got rid of his truck a few days after Erin disappeared and law enforcement did nothing to try to track it down and check it for evidence. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde
Back