GUILTY IA - Evelyn Miller, 5, Charles City, 1 July 2005

Those twelve complaints about the abuse were made by the father and the in-laws weren't they? Or did I read that wrong. When I left my husband, after he told me he was going to bury me in the desert, he called child protective services on me, and had several of his friends do the same. He told me point blank on the phone he was doing it to hurt me as I have never in anyway been neglectful towards my children. While it is true that far too often children slip through the cracks, occasionally one has to look at who is making these allegations..which in this case seems to be mainly the paternal side of this poor little girl.

I'm certainly not making any assumptions into this particular case, merely pointing out that what you hear may not always be what is fact.

This is starting to stink. Has everyone around her and in the apartment complex been given lie detector tests?

indicajane said:
Those twelve complaints about the abuse were made by the father and the in-laws weren't they? Or did I read that wrong. When I left my husband, after he told me he was going to bury me in the desert, he called child protective services on me, and had several of his friends do the same. He told me point blank on the phone he was doing it to hurt me as I have never in anyway been neglectful towards my children. While it is true that far too often children slip through the cracks, occasionally one has to look at who is making these allegations..which in this case seems to be mainly the paternal side of this poor little girl.

I'm certainly not making any assumptions into this particular case, merely pointing out that what you hear may not always be what is fact.

I agree with you completely!

Even though a month has passed since the body of 5-year-old Evelyn Miller was found in northern Iowa, authorities still refuse to release details of her death or whether they have a suspect.

Floyd County Attorney Marilyn Dettmer said investigators await forensic test results from the state crime laboratory that could help lead to an arrest.

"When you ask about a test, there are numerous tests," said Gene Meyer, head of the Division of Criminal Investigation. "Some have been concluded. Some are in the process. This case is a top priority. But, there are a lot of forensic tests to conduct."

http://www.qctimes.net/articles/2005/07/31/news/state/doc42ec553b64a4e660345245.txt

I hope they come up with something soon. She looked like such a sweet little girl, poor thing.

The state Department of Human Services finished the child abuse assessment it launched as soon as 5-year-old Evelyn Miller went missing a month ago, but no information was released to the public Monday, the day of the agency's deadline.

The prosecutor in the case, Floyd County Attorney Marilyn Dettmer, likely will ask the agency to withhold its findings until the criminal case ends, Munns said.
http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050801/NEWS01/50801007/1001

madgallico said:
Thank you PrayersForMaura. I thought this was an appropriate board to display this picture. Jared was my nephew who lived with me on & off for most of his short life.
He was with his parents when he died of child abuse.
Jared will always be my angel.

What a beautiful baby boy. Are his parents in prison for causing his death? That is just so sad. Why was he given back to his parents?

mysteriew said:
The state Department of Human Services finished the child abuse assessment it launched as soon as 5-year-old Evelyn Miller went missing a month ago, but no information was released to the public Monday, the day of the agency's deadline.

The prosecutor in the case, Floyd County Attorney Marilyn Dettmer, likely will ask the agency to withhold its findings until the criminal case ends, Munns said.
http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050801/NEWS01/50801007/1001

If they did find proof of abuse you can bet it will never be released now because it sounds like they have been getting calls for quite awhile. It would look bad for them if that little girl has been being abused in any way...it was reported and they just messed around until she was dead. They will cover their butts.

I remember reading something that the grandparents wrote that said that they were aware of alleged child abuse or of child abuse but they didn't call Child Protective Services because others had already called. I don't think it was the dad who called either. I still don't understand why he didn't step in and take Evelyn if he thought she was being abused in any way.

An emotional Noel Miller said she wants answers to how her daughter died.

Late this morning, Floyd County attorney Marilyn Dettmer held a news conference to update the case.

She said she would not release how Miller died until a murder trial happens, and is still not ready to name suspects.

Noel Miller said not being kept in the loop is very hard, and she misses her little girl.

We'll hear more from Noel Miller and from county attorney Dettmer tonight on the KWWL News at five and six.
http://www.kwwl.com/Global/story.asp?S=3682946&nav=2IfucxUx

Thanks for posting those, LostFaith. I try to check for updates on Evelyn's case but they are so few and far between.

I'll second that. I had wondered if any progress had been made. Thanks for the links.

SewingDeb said:
I'll second that. I had wondered if any progress had been made. Thanks for the links.

I've been waiting for something to happen in this case too. Such a sweet little girl. I sure hope that they find out who did this.

Bobbisangel said:
I've been waiting for something to happen in this case too. Such a sweet little girl. I sure hope that they find out who did this.

Me, too. I hope this doesn't end up being a cold case. The lily blooming really touched me.

I have a difficult time understanding how a community can lose their focus when something this horrible happens. Whoever did this, is still out there. Nobody in that community is safe. They need to start using the surviellance cameras located in the gas stations, covenience store, etc. more and tracking down everyone who was out during those hours of the night, if only to ask if they saw anything out of the ordinary. People are seeing these things happen right under their noses and not even realizing it.

A prosecutor vowed Friday not to give up her search for Evelyn Miller's killer.

Meanwhile, it's been a stormy summer for the 5-year-old Floyd girl's mother and her fiance.

They have been in court, most recently on Friday, over allegations that their poor parenting placed their two sons in danger. They have faced complaints from neighbors who called police about a loud party and about alleged abuse of a dog. Authorities also were contacted after a confrontation between Noel Miller and a friend who handed her computer hard drive over to investigators.
http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050827/NEWS01/508270342/1001&lead=1

A friend handed over the mother's computer hard drive to LE. I wonder why.
Does she think there will be something on it to do with the murder? That is interesting.

You know what really ticks me off? People called in reports on the mom and her boyfriend when Evelyn was alive too and CPS just pooh poohed the calls. Now that Evelyn is dead they have decided that maybe they should remove the little boys from the home...maybe they have them back by now...but it sounds like they have taken action....a little to late for Evelyn though.

I wonder how the boyfriend proves that he was home that night that Evelyn disappeared? There was only him and the kids.

The grandparents of 5-year-old Evelyn Miller, who was killed in July, are criticizing the Floyd County attorney’s office for withholding findings of an Iowa Department of Human Services investigation into the crime.

Details about how and when she was killed have not been released.

Her grandparents, Richard and Linda Christie, of Des Moines, wrote an e-mail to Floyd County Attorney Marilyn Dettmer this week asking why the file wasn’t released.

‘‘The only justifiable reason for the full DHS file not being released is, if there is a person of interest or possible suspect involved in the reports, in which case, the particular portions of the case could be withheld,’’ the couple wrote.

They have challenged the county attorney to say why they’ve sealed the records or disclose the information.

‘‘We would like for the DHS reports concerning Evelyn Miller to be unsealed unless you can justify the need for them being sealed,’’ the Christies said.

Dettmer did not respond directly to the family members’ e-mail, but said the files would not be made available at this point in the investigation.
http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050902/NEWS01/50902008/1001

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Stories like this not only make me sick but my heart actually aches. There are people out there, myself included, who would do anything to have a child of their own but are unable to. These people need a special punishment, one that I can't even dream up because with every story like this it makes the loss I feel even deeper. I know that is selfish but all I could think when I saw her picture was how much I would have loved that little girl. I hope the demonic creature that did this rots in hell.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Law officers Friday searched the home of the mother of Evelyn Miller, the 5-year-old girl slain in July after being snatched from her apartment.

Floyd County Attorney Marilyn Dettmer said authorities obtained a warrant to search the Charles City home of Noel Miller and her fiance, Casey Fredericksen. Officers with the FBI and Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation joined local authorities in the search.

Dettmer said only that the search was part of the investigation into Evelyn's slaying.

Gene Meyer, head of the DCI, said authorities would not disclose the probable cause for the search warrant. Court documents pertaining to earlier searches in the case have been sealed. Meyer said no arrest warrants had been issued.

Noel Miller and Fredericksen moved from their Floyd apartment to Charles City after the death. That apartment and the home of two acquaintances — men who said they visited the Miller-Fredericksen apartment and saw Evelyn at 2 a.m. July 1 — were searched earlier.
http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050903/NEWS01/509030324/1001

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drena519
Back