IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Mason City, 27 June 1995 - Anchorwoman

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, JV did name his boat after her. This is a statement made by Robin, a KIMT anchor and friend of Jodi's.

Robin Wolfram: I truly believe that he had very strong and deep feelings for Jodi.

And something he told her back then sent chills down her spine.

JOHN VANSICE TO KIMT [1995]: I have named my boat after her, because just -- just because she's Jodi … you can't help but love that woman; you can't help but love her.

Robin Wolfram: When he said I named my boat after her, that's when I said, "Ugh, that's an obsession." … I remember holding on to the microphone and just feeling so ill at ease and thinking to myself, "I think he might've done it."
Tippy Lynn you are correct, and as Steve Ridge points out in this article which is linked to the previous post, there is a difference between naming the boat verbally, and "painted on the side".

JV moving to Iowa about 19 months after LE issued a warrant for GPS data on his vehicles. Isn't that interesting. Could it be LE suspects JV has been visiting JH's grave? Could it also be JV is jonesing because he hasn't been able to visit JH's grave for a year and a half out of fear of being tracked? Maybe he wants to move closer to the grave. Obviously, this is rampant speculation on my part, but he's never been cleared and had that 90 minute window.

Over the years I just keep coming back to JV despite many other plausible theories. He could be an affable, innocent guy, but these reported statements he makes. The morning of JH's disappearance he blurts out, "I'm the last person to see her alive". What? It's an abduction. Telling a reporter he passed a polygraph test with flying colors, and "he and his friends are having a kegger to celebrate". Again, What?

As for his relationship with Jodi, he goes from showering her with gifts and constant attention to hardly a word about her. Fair or not it just seems he should've been more geared toward finding her as a self described 'protective father' figure.

I hope JV does launch a libel suit. The deposition could be valuable.

Yes, I hope he sues also and he can put members of the MCPD under oath and they can explain why they settled a case for $95,000 when the City had probably met their deductible at that point. The City of Mason City appears to not want the rocks turned over in this case very badly.

Check out this link.
Fired officer, Mason City, settle federal lawsuit for $95,000 (November 9, 2012)
https://globegazette.com/news/local/fired-officer-mason-city-settle-federal-lawsuit-for/article_0355e4f8-2ac5-11e2-8093-0019bb2963f4.html

Tippy Lynn you are correct, and as Steve Ridge points out in this article which is linked to the previous post, there is a difference between naming the boat verbally, and "painted on the side".

You are correct, there’s a difference between JV verbally naming his boat after her and painting her name on the boat, but IMO it’s still creepy. JV said and did a lot of things that were creepy and odd.
jmo

You are correct, there’s a difference between JV verbally naming his boat after her and painting her name on the boat, but IMO it’s still creepy. JV said and did a lot of things that were creepy and odd.
jmo
Agreed, and Van Sice's behavior makes it easy for MCPD to ignore other leads, while begging at the same time for people to send them leads. Case in point: See this article from May 30, 2015: Cold case heats up

Agreed, and Van Sice's behavior makes it easy for MCPD to ignore other leads, while begging at the same time for people to send them leads. Case in point: See this article from May 30, 2015: Cold case heats up

And there's this......

A former Mason City police officer said Thursday two Mason City police officers and a retired state DCI agent may have been involved in the abduction and possible murder of Jodi Huisentruit.

Further, she alleges police officials may be covering up what really happened by their failure to follow up on leads she has provided.

Maria Ohl, who was terminated from the police department last month, made the accusations while speaking to the media after a Civil Service Commission meeting at City Hall Thursday.

Former Mason City officer says police may have taken Jodi Huisentruit

48 Hours recently released for the first time footage made in 1995, eleven days after Jodi was attacked and abducted. Check out this particular screen grab (again, this is from already nationally televised material) from the 48 Hours show:

View attachment 162270

What do you make of this?

Looks like bruises and abrasions.

Just ordered "Dead Air"; can't wait to read it!

Last edited:
John Van Sice is a "useful" suspect for a police department which has a documented history of mishandling leads (see: Jodi Huisentruit). John VS has no stalking history.....

from page 18 of Dead Air: ..."One of Jodi's neighbors reported that it was not uncommon to see Vansice sitting in his car in the parking lot outside Jodi's apartment building in the middle of the night"....

from page 18 of Dead Air: ..."One of Jodi's neighbors reported that it was not uncommon to see Vansice sitting in his car in the parking lot outside Jodi's apartment building in the middle of the night"....

Yes, I saw that on Page 18 as well. IDK. I still think JV is the most likely perp . . . JMVHO.

Thank you Cagle for posting this. It's time for some investigative reporters to dig into this mess. Almost everyone, except for a few Iowa Legislators, has been giving the Mason City Police Department a free pass. Kooiker: Disappearance of Huisentruit remains troubling
Thanks for reposting this. Or at least I believe it was posted before. I had read this and forgot about it. VERY strange reaction, or lack thereof, by the Mason City PD.

Has the Iowa attorney general's office ever gotten involved with this case? You would think after 24 years, someone besides Mason City officials had a hand in this matter.

The Iowa attorney general's office isn't mentioned on Wikipedia:
Jodi Huisentruit - Wikipedia

The FBI, the Mason City Police Department, the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation and MAIS's investigators are all still actively working on Huisentruit's disappearance and the television show Nancy Grace: America's Missing spotlighted her case on February 23, 2011, and again on December 6, 2013. [22][23]

In May 2015, all 100 members of the Iowa State House of Representatives signed a letter asking for the City of Mason City to declare June 27, 2015, as Jodi Huisentruit Day in honor of her memory and that of all victims in unsolved cases.

In December 2016, retiring Iowa State Representative John Kooiker of Sioux County, Iowa, described his experience with the case as a member of the Iowa State House Public Safety Committee and suggested a cover-up by Mason City officials. His opinion piece was published in The N'West Iowa Review.[24]

In March 2017, a search warrant was executed against person of interest John Vansice seeking GPS data for two of his vehicles. [25]

As of 2019, Huisentruit has not been found, neither have remains ever been identified as hers.

Thank you Cagle for posting this. It's time for some investigative reporters to dig into this mess. Almost everyone, except for a few Iowa Legislators, has been giving the Mason City Police Department a free pass. Kooiker: Disappearance of Huisentruit remains troubling
Wow. That any local officials think they don’t have to answer to a legislator is unbelievable to me and certainly lends credence to ineptitude, if not something more sinister.

Jodi Sue Huisentruit (born June 5, 1968 – declared legally dead May 2001) was a television news anchor for KIMT, based in Mason City, Iowa, in the United States. She went missing in the early morning hours of June 27, 1995, soon after telling a colleague that she was on her way to work. As there were signs of a struggle outside her apartment, she is believed to have been abducted, but extensive investigations have failed to uncover any clues to her disappearance.

On the day before she disappeared, Huisentruit participated in a golf tournament and, according to Mason City resident John Vansice, she went to his home to view a video tape of the birthday party that he had arranged for her earlier in the month.[4]

At about 4:00 am on Tuesday, June 27, 1995, KIMT producer Amy Kuns noted that Huisentruit had failed to report to work as scheduled, so she called Huisentruit's apartment. Huisentruit answered the telephone, explained that she had overslept, and said she was preparing to leave for the station. By 6:00 am, however, she had still not arrived, and Kuns filled in for her on the morning show Daybreak. At about 7:00 am, KIMT staff called the Mason City police.[5]

When police arrived at Huisentruit's apartment they found her red Mazda Miata in the parking lot, as well as evidence suggesting there had been a struggle near that car. Among other evidence, Huisentruit's personal items, including a bent car key,[6] were found strewn about the area and police reported recovering an unidentified palm print from her car.[7][8] (Wikipedia)

Hey everyone, my name is Tyler Brunner and I'm currently working on a podcast that talks in length about the Jodi Huisentruit case. My family lives in Riceville, which is about an hour from Mason City, and my mother remembers the case vividly. Is there anyone that would know anyone that was apart of the case in 1995 or has any ties to investigators, homicide caseworkers, or anyone of the like? Thanks and I hope to find some items here to use in my podcast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CASHxGK