Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
First thing parents need to do when sending children off to college: Power of Attorney. We did it. Costs about a hundred bucks. Also, seems like mom or dad, would be paying for phone plan if it’s the phone company that’s giving them a time.
I had my own phone plan when I was in college, my parents just gave me money each month for whatever bills I had, and the left over was for fun, saving, etc. If the contract to the phone is in her name, it doesn't matter who's paying it.

In order to ask the tech companies to co-operate, you would need to know which apps someone had on the phone, so you would have to go to apple first and I would assume they would be able to produce a list of apps that someone had downloaded from the app store, and it wouldn't be unusual for someone to have 50-100 apps all of which might provide clues.

You would then need to go to each of these companies and ask for help, and as a lot of people don't use their real names when using on-line services, just identifying which account you need the data for, could be hard, as an example snapchat has about 200 million users....

You would end up with a large amount of data, and you are looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack....

Well said.

To give you an idea... Imagine a missing person was a member of WS. Think of all the information tied to their account. All their posts, the posts that they replied to, the times people replied to their posts. Maybe the entire thread - what page are we on now? Conversations, friends, changes in friends. When you accessed the site, which threads you accessed, the IP address you had when you accessed each of those threads. It goes on and on.

Then someone has to go through it all.

And that is one site. Imagine going though Facebook.

Mollie Tibbetts Case: Missing Woman's Dad, Boyfriend Urge Witnesses to Come Forward

This just makes me feel that they don't have any specific poi in mind. I think this is dad attempting to face reality that they might not get her back alive or not. Very heart breaking and I feel so terrible about what they are going through and will continue to go through :(

In the Peterson case the cops though SP was guilty almost from the start but did not divulge that info to her mom and dad. They stood by him firmly until the cops brought the pictures to them of SP and AF. Irrefutiable proof he was living a double life. I am not saying that is what is going on here with her boyfriend. I just wanted to point out that the parents are being told nothing by LE so they are now desperate for witnesses to come forward to get this moving. I don't think there are any witness' to be honest. I think it was as simple as wrong place wrong time and she was totally alone and he knew it.

I have a daughter who is 20 and this thought makes me crazy and sick to my stomach. I too warn my daughter not to jog alone (which she insists on doing down secluded dirt roads by our house) without our dog who is older and doesn't like running. I have finally gotten her to agree to have a friend come up and jog with her. Young people are just stubborn and they truly think nothing will happen to them. UGH! We have all been there. Until you find yourself repeating the words of warning to your kids that your parents gave to you, you just do not get it.

I highly recommend you get her the the app I use. It is called the Road ID app and it is free. It sends a text to up to three different numbers when I start out. It then texts this numbers an "e crumb" which is a link to a map that tracks me live. If I stop for more than two minutes it sends an alert to my chosen contacts. My husband and I both use this.

At the beginning of such a case, LE observes the evidence (missing person, out-of-character change in routine, expected mental condition, last known location, surroundings) and decides an action plan based on known issues, executes that plan and prepares next-steps, such as, the more information they gather the more they determine a most-likely scenario and adjust the plan accordingly.

In this case, we've seen LE execute interviews and searches right off the mark. As time progressed LE presented with a presser that left us believing LE believed MT may still be alive, probably because they did not locate a body and the family followed suit with their own media interviews.

Then, we witnessed the "Mollie may be alive" commentary all but disappear for a bit, with that replaced with conjecture by a member of the family that "Mollie was abducted by someone she knows". No body, so she must have been abducted and maybe being kept alive. Is that realistic? Not with a positive outcome.

Beyond simply holding out hope, the family needs some method of attempting to keep this case stirring in news cycles and in public discourse. If LE and the family related they expect MT to be deceased at this point any garnered attention will dissipate faster than vaporous creek mist on a hot summer morning.

What we have. No MT. No body. No witnesses to the event to date AFAWK.

That's where we are.

The odds are against a positive outcome. If FBI begins to pull resources then we may assume it's definitely a waiting game until harvest time, if they're lucky. Many such victims are discovered relatively close to where they were last seen or expected to have been.

Beyond against all odds of finding MT alive, all many can hope for is LE recovers MT sooner rather than later, despite there being hundreds and hundreds of acres of corn fields....

Thank you for this post on your professional expertise. I think LE has plenty of info they are keeping close to the vest as to not compromise the integrity of the case. Apparently even if her iPhone battery was dead or powered off you can still get last known location info from find my phone cloud services.

Here’s a link
How to Find Your iPhone Even If It’s Dead (with & without Find My iPhone)

I highly recommend you get her the the app I use. It is called the Road ID app and it is free. It sends a text to up to three different numbers when I start out. It then texts this numbers an "e crumb" which is a link to a map that tracks me live. If I stop for more than two minutes it sends an alert to my chosen contacts. My husband and I both use this.
Wow. That’s a really great idea, especially for female runners.

Sometimes when I think about this case, it seems like the perpetrator was either incredibly crafty or, alternatively, just had dumb luck ... pulling off the perfect abduction. I am not convinced one way or the other, but the implications of each scenario are very different.

If it were dumb luck, which happens more often than people think in life, it could be a large number of people. In fact, it could have been any mentally deranged opportunist. They could be local or not.

If the perpetrator is crafty, it pares it down considerably. Somebody had to do some planning, dotting their i's and crossing their t's:
For instance, the people talking about purposely dropping evidence near WC because of his record. Knowing Mollie's jogging route. Avoiding detection during the abduction. Knowing to avoid spots with cameras. Having the local LE and FBI unsuccessfully, as far as we know, chasing leads. This person would have to be or have an LE background to pull this off. Or simply have a mind like a chess player. Or part of some sort of larger network.

Again, I am not convinced of either at this point.

Thank you for this. I’m going to try it out.

yes, 187 million people who use it every day, and 300 million who use it at least once a month, that's a lot of data to search through....

Yes, lots of data but LE wouldn't have to sift through it all. It can be determined which accounts MT may have set up on Snapchat based on the phone account used to create them. That would filter the data to to only that which involved any discovered MT accounts.

Who can I pm a link I found then. Admin?
If it's an outside link you can link it here if it's from MSM. If it's not from MSM (ie CNN, ABC, local news, FOX, local newspaper) then it's not going to be allowed unless you pm the "staff online" on the right hand side of the screen and ask if you can post it. You can email it to anyone on here, but you can only post links that aren't from MSM unless you have moderator approval.

If it's something you feel is germane to the case itself, you can call it in to either your local PD or the crimestopper line at 1-800-452-1111 or you can email their PD at tips@poweshiekcosheriff.com

Hmmm...seems I could be in the minority here as far as having a high hinky meter reading on WC. I always appreciated my fellow posters’ readings and assessments. It will be interesting to see if he is ruled out, left open or eventually charged. He could be like an RL or DN in A and L’s case. Whatever the case, I hoooooope this guy has nothing to do with her disappearance, that’s for sure.

I had my own phone plan when I was in college, my parents just gave me money each month for whatever bills I had, and the left over was for fun, saving, etc. If the contract to the phone is in her name, it doesn't matter who's paying it.
I can’t remember where I saw it, but I think I saw she has Verizon. Seems like it would be cheaper to piggyback off their plan and it seems they are the type of parents that would pay her phone bill. JMO though.

Hmmm...seems I could be in the minority here as far as having a high hinky meter reading on WC. I always appreciated my fellow posters’ readings and assessments. It will be interesting to see if he is ruled out, left open or eventually charged. He could be like an RL or DN in A and L’s case. Whatever the case, I hoooooope this guy has nothing to do with her disappearance, that’s for sure.
I’m with you

OMG thank you! I am definitely going to have her download that app. She knows I am a worrier so has refrained from jogging as much as she likes which of course makes me feel bad. I don't want her to stop doing something that makes her happy. I just want her to be as safe as possible as she is doing it.

Sometimes when I think about this case, it seems like the perpetrator was either incredibly crafty or, alternatively, just had dumb luck ... pulling off the perfect abduction. I am not convinced one way or the other, but the implications of each scenario are very different.

If it were dumb luck, which happens more often than people think in life, it could be a large number of people. In fact, it could have been any mentally deranged opportunist. They could be local or not.

If the perpetrator is crafty, it pares it down considerably. Somebody had to do some planning, dotting their i's and crossing their t's:
For instance, the people talking about purposely dropping evidence near WC because of his record. Knowing Mollie's jogging route. Avoiding detection during the abduction. Knowing to avoid spots with cameras. Having the local LE and FBI unsuccessfully, as far as we know, chasing leads. This person would have to be or have an LE background to pull this off. Or simply have a mind like a chess player. Or part of some sort of larger network.

Again, I am not convinced of either at this point.

I agree it's one of the two. I lean 80/20 toward dumb luck though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beefalo