Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the link above:

Some Iowans also think Bahena Rivera's public defender is running up the state's tab and costing taxpayers money.

Local 5 can verify: Bahena Rivera is being defended by Chad and Jennifer Frese, a private legal team based in Marshalltown.

They said the defense is being funded by "family and acquaintances," meaning Behena Rivera's attorneys are not being paid for by the public.
______

I might be thinking of another case but I thought I remembered State funds approved for an investigator for the defendant. MOO
Yes, there was just an approval for 2 experts needed by the defense, posted upthread, I believe.

What ever happened to those ear buds CBR claimed he saw on his lap that keyed him to Mollie in the trunk?
Another article about what was missing when Mollie was missing

"Mollie's mom told DailyMail.com that all the items and clothes she took on her run have never been located.

These include her Fitbit, a gold-colored iPhone 7s in a protective case, some white earbuds and an armband pouch she used to hold the handset while she ran.

Her dark colored running shorts, pink sports top and running shoes are also yet to be found despite extensive searches of Brooklyn and the surrounding county."
3 August 2018
Mother of missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts says she does not believe she returned home | Daily Mail Online

So even though he was subject to blackouts, CBR was able to rid himself of the earbuds, Fitbit, iPhone,armband, and bloody weapons.

From the link above:

Some Iowans also think Bahena Rivera's public defender is running up the state's tab and costing taxpayers money.

Local 5 can verify: Bahena Rivera is being defended by Chad and Jennifer Frese, a private legal team based in Marshalltown.

They said the defense is being funded by "family and acquaintances," meaning Behena Rivera's attorneys are not being paid for by the public.
______

I might be thinking of another case but I thought I remembered State funds approved for an investigator for the defendant. MOO

I don't know how it works in Iowa, but aren't there situations where the family hires a private attorney, the family runs out of the money, then the state picks up the tab for the attorney?

I vaguely recall state funds for an investigator - found it

"On Wednesday, a judge granted a motion for the services of a private investigator to assist Rivera’s defense at public expense, KWWL-TV reported Friday.

“Without the appointment of an investigator at state expense, defendant will be deprived of his constitutional right to a full and complete defense and equal protection under the law,” Frese and his wife and co-counsel Jennifer Frese said in motion papers.

The motion granted the Freses $5,000 in state funds to hire a Des Moines private investigation firm.

The lawyers pointed out that it’s likely there will be other requests for money for the private investigator, the station reported. ...

Previously, the judge appointed a Spanish interpreter at public expense to assist the defense.

Rivera’s family is paying for his lawyers, the Register has reported."
September 16, 2018
Mollie Tibbetts' accused killer faces arraignment Wednesday in Iowa court

So even though he was subject to blackouts, CBR was able to rid himself of the earbuds, Fitbit, iPhone,armband, and bloody weapons.

Black out anger is an interesting defence that leaves me curious as to when this black-out problem started.

His black out ended when Mollie was in the trunk, so he was fully aware of everything he did afterward - including disposal of evidence.

Very early in the investigation, it was believed that Mollie was wearing a red t-shirt when she disappeared because it was believed that her work shirt was missing. I believe her mother later located the red t-shirt but the story lingered for quite some time. And when a shirt was located by a person mowing in rural IA, the t-shirt was reborn.

Personally, I believe Mollie was wearing a pink sports bra top and no shirt when she was abducted and murdered.

Was a Red Shirt Found in Mollie Tibbetts’ Disappearance? | Heavy.com

Last edited:
Very early in the investigation, it was believed that Mollie was wearing a red t-shirt when she disappeared because it was believed that her work shirt was missing. I believe her mother later located the red t-shirt but the story lingered for quite some time. And when a shirt was located by a person mowing in rural IA, the t-shirt was reborn.

Personally, I believe Mollie was wearing a pink sports bra and no shirt when she was abducted and murdered.

Was a Red Shirt Found in Mollie Tibbetts’ Disappearance? | Heavy.com

I came across a few articles about the red t-shirt - apparently she had two work related red t-shirts and they were both accounted for shortly after the murder. Maybe there was something about a red t-shirt that was found during the searches, but was unrelated to Mollie.

Here it is:

"The reported discovery of a red shirt in a roadside ditch Thursday ignited fevered speculation it could belong to Mollie, who wore a similar t-shirt each day to her job at the medical center. ....

The clothing was spotted by someone out mowing grass but Kevin Winkler of the Iowa Department of Public Safety told a press conference Friday he had ‘no information’ to confirm that anything belonging to Mollie had been found.

Laura Calderwood told DailyMail.com that she had found two of her daughter’s red work shirts in her bedroom but could not be certain there wasn’t a third somewhere."
Mother of missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts says she does not believe she returned home | Daily Mail Online

Thank you. This trial is also reminding me "Dru". Her killer did get First Degree murder.
Murder of Dru Sjodin - Wikipedia

I have never forgotten her, and was reminded of her a couple of days ago in relation to this murder. Dru was walking to her car in a parking lot at 5PM, talking on the phone with her boyfriend, when she was confronted with a very dangerous knife. The sheath was found in the parking lot. Her blood was found in the back seat of his car, so we know that he injured her to force compliance.

Her body was found in a field when the snow melted. He was just out of prison when he murdered her.

That seems to be what happened here too - confronted with a knife, seriously injured, put in a car, taken to a remote field, raped and murdered.

Ok, thank you. I still think I heard DJ talk about the shirt...I wonder if we can find that. Maybe he is confident dude with pink shirt .:)
I believe he was asked what she usually ran in. He was asked several questions about her running habits. He said she ran 1-6 miles almost daily.. work shorts, sports bra, sometimes tank tops and I do think he mentioned something about his shirts or muscle shirts. That wasn't saying this is exactly what she was wearing, but he was describing what attire she usually ran in.

Mollie was staying overnight at the home of her boyfriend Dalton Jack but he was 120 miles away in Dubuque, Iowa working for a construction firm.

Investigators say they have ruled Jack out as a suspect and Laura Calderwood insists he's above suspicion.

'He's a good guy. They were devoted to one another,' she told DailyMail.com.

_________

I'm wondering how the defense would have reacted if Laura Calderwood would have testified about DJ NOT being a suspect in the murder of Mollie? Glad it didn't come to that but I'm sure the attack on DJ has been difficult on all the family.

@Niner, thank you for your amazing following ups of the cases here on WS. I had been waiting on the trial and looking forward to seeing this ******* convicted for what he did to that precious child. But a friend of mine went for a follow up appointment last week with her doctor because of a nagging cough. That little cough has turned out to be a “mass” growing around her heart and so I totally forgot about everything but her. I was trying to distract myself during her biopsy and stumbled back on the trial and looked for your post cause I knew it’d be here somewhere. So now I can start from your post and keep up. And I appreciate all the references back to the thread numbers too. You are a true blessing here at WS!

Niner is wonderful with continual hard work.
So sorry your friend is suffering, and hope results help her, towards a speedy recovery.

Ok, thank you. I still think I heard DJ talk about the shirt...I wonder if we can find that. Maybe he is confident dude with pink shirt .:)

Is this it?

He also described how he and Tibbetts started dating in high school after a football game and that he knew her to be a regular runner, as she often wore a cutout shirt he says she stole from his closet.

PommyMommy, Wednesday at 10:09 AM

Mollie was staying overnight at the home of her boyfriend Dalton Jack but he was 120 miles away in Dubuque, Iowa working for a construction firm.

Investigators say they have ruled Jack out as a suspect and Laura Calderwood insists he's above suspicion.

'He's a good guy. They were devoted to one another,' she told DailyMail.com.

_________

I'm wondering how the defense would have reacted if Laura Calderwood would have testified about DJ NOT being a suspect in the murder of Mollie? Glad it didn't come to that but I'm sure the attack on DJ has been difficult on all the family.

Absolutely. My understanding is that their relationship was so much more than a couple of indiscretions, one of which sounds like a hook up shortly after he met Mollie. The other one might be related to a rough patch when they were considering 'exclusive'. Regardless, it has nothing to do with the murder.

The defence can tell a story that Mollie's boyfriend was an ill tempered, unfaithful man who didn't pay much attention to her last snapchat, but the defence cannot connect the boyfriend to means, motive and opportunity. He was hours away, lacking means.

Is this it?

He also described how he and Tibbetts started dating in high school after a football game and that he knew her to be a regular runner, as she often wore a cutout shirt he says she stole from his closet.

Although that may have been a favourite jogging tank top, she was reportedly wearing the pink sports top the day she was abducted. That was found with her body. There were numerous shallow cuts through the sports top, presumably into her skin. She was found with it rolled up under her chin.

The defence might be making a fuss about a shirt based on reviewing transcripts of interviews with the boyfriend, where he mentioned the shirt, and the defence wants to make the case that a shirt is missing.

I'm guessing the Medical Examiner could describe the cuts on the pink sports top as shallow due to the width of the cut as compared to the stab wound on the right side of her skull.

Is this it?

Thank you. I thought it was something like that.

This has to weigh even heavier on them. Of course no person should ever be the victim of any type of crime no matter what they are involved in, but the truly random crimes like this are hardest to understand. It means all of us are at risk for being a victim. That means we can live our lives with integrity and be kind and just a good soul and still be murdered at random by someone just because we chose to go for a run that day. It's terrifying people like that exist.

After following many cases on WS, I have become more careful.
My dog walks, only round the block, whereas previously, deserted beaches and quiet tracks: locking doors at home etc.
My friends just don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member