IA - Mother & grandfather of a newborn abandoned alive trash bag ditch, charged with first-degree murder, Norfolk, 4 Feb 2023

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
The mother and grandfather of a newborn found dead in a ditch in Iowa have been charged with first-degree murder, and court documents say they told investigators the baby was still alive when they put him in a trash bag and abandoned him.

Megan K. Staude, 25, of Norfolk, told police the child was born at home on Feb. 24, according to a police affidavit. She told authorities that she put him in a box and didn’t provide any care for two days before she and her father Rodney A. Staude, 64, put him in the bag.

Rodney Staude also confessed and said he helped his daughter dispose of the bag in a ditch near Norwalk, according to the documents.

Both the Staudes initially told police the baby died on the way to the hospital after it was born, authorities said. Megan Staude said she buried him in a cemetery in Cumming, Iowa, but authorities found no evidence of a fresh grave at the cemetery.

Law enforcement officers received a tip from Megan Staude’s co-workers on March 8, leading to the discovery of the body. On March 13, a witness showed authorities a text conversation with Megan Staude, in which the witness asked her, “Was the baby alive when you left him?” and she replied, “A little,” the complaint says.

“It’s just a tragic set of circumstances on a number of levels,” Norwalk Police Chief Greg Staples told The Des Moines Register. “That baby didn’t have the choice to decide his own fate and now there’s people in jail because of it.”

Rodney and Megan Staude are each being held in the Warren County jail on $1 million bond.

Authorities told the Register they don’t know who the child’s father is.

Iowa has a law that allows someone to leave an infant up to 3 months old at a hospital or health care facility without facing legal action.
1678918573747.jpeg
This mugshot provided by Warren County Jail on Wednesday, March 15, 2023, in Indianola, Iowa, shows Megan Staude. The mother and grandfather of a newborn found dead in a ditch in Iowa have been charged with first-degree murder, and court documents say they told investigators the baby was still alive when they put him in a trash bag and abandoned him.

The mugshots provided by Warren County Jail on Wednesday, March 15, 2023, in Indianola, Iowa,...

“Was the baby alive when you left him?” and she replied, “A little,” the complaint says.
*I still can’t get over this comment. Wth is wrong with people?

Who else is wondering if Grandpa is also the the father?.
uhhh. I didn’t think of that but I’d bet you’re right.

I don't think he's necessarily the father. There are a lot of reasons for this type of scenario. One of them is that he's the father, but there are many more. Maybe the baby was the product of rape or of a man the father considered not appropriate either due to race, socioeconomic status, drug status, who knows.

I always wonder if these people are so traumatized by an unwanted birth that they don't realize the thousands of couples literally willing to crawl through glass for a newborn baby?

MOO.

"A little" alive. How cruel to have left that poor tiny child alone in the cold like that. Even if the mother's judgment was impaired by some sort of trauma, both she and that grandfather need to be held accountable to the full extent of the law.

*I‘m wondering if they live together? Do they show same address?
i didn’t realize it was in the snow! I’m so mad!

An Iowa father and his daughter both face first-degree murder charges after a newborn boy was left to die alone on the side of a snowy road, in a state where Safe Haven laws would have immunized them from prosecution had they left the baby at an authorized location.

On March 8th, the Norwalk Police Department was contacted with concerns for the safety of a child in Norwalk,” authorities said. KCCI reported that Megan Staude’s co-workers were the ones who raised those concerns that day. They noticed that she was no longer pregnant and were suspicious — and at least one neighbor was shocked but not surprised.

“Honestly, I was pretty appalled. Not really surprised though, just cause the vibe they gave,” Chris Hentschel reportedly told KCCI. “They were kinda weird.”

The report noted that the residence where Megan Staude gave birth is considered “unsafe to occupy.”

Thanks imstilla.grandma for starting this thread. I'm in Iowa and have been so upset since first reading about this that I couldn't post it. The town's name is Norwalk; I see that a national news station lists it as Norfolk. It sounds like this poor little boy was alive for 2 days and not cared for before being placed in the trash out it the cold. I really have no words. And I do belive the baby's mom and grandfather did live in the same house.
On March 13, she told officers that on Feb. 24, the day the baby was born, she placed him in a box. She said the baby cried off and on for two days. In the meantime, she did not provide care to the baby, according to court documents.

According to a criminal complaint, a baby boy was born in the house that 25-year-old Megan Staude and her father, 64-year-old Rodney Staude lived in.

ETA-This makes me even more sad and angry because Iowa is a Safe Haven state and parents can safely place their child at a hospital or fire station, etc. up to 90 days after birth; there are baby "boxes" so you don't even have to show yourself. IMO-there is alot of talk about this in Iowa right now. I honestly thought it was only 30 days. Alot of police departments are posting about this law to make sure this is known. IMO-this baby's mother and grandfather didn't care one bit if they could have placed him someone where safe.

Last edited:
Thanks imstilla.grandma for starting this thread. I'm in Iowa and have been so upset since first reading about this that I couldn't post it. The town's name is Norwalk; I see that a national news station lists it as Norfolk. It sounds like this poor little boy was alive for 2 days and not cared for before being placed in the trash out it the cold. I really have no words. And I do belive the baby's mom and grandfather did live in the same house.
On March 13, she told officers that on Feb. 24, the day the baby was born, she placed him in a box. She said the baby cried off and on for two days. In the meantime, she did not provide care to the baby, according to court documents.

According to a criminal complaint, a baby boy was born in the house that 25-year-old Megan Staude and her father, 64-year-old Rodney Staude lived in.

ETA-This makes me even more sad and angry because Iowa is a Safe Haven state and parents can safely place their child at a hospital or fire station, etc. up to 90 days after birth; there are baby "boxes" so you don't even have to show yourself. IMO-there is alot of talk about this in Iowa right now. I honestly thought it was only 30 days. Alot of police departments are posting about this law to make sure this is known. IMO-this baby's mother and grandfather didn't care one bit if they could have placed him someone where safe.
Dear Lord. How can you listen to your baby , or any baby, cry without caring for it. Much less for two days. She must be a monster. Jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects
Back