ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 62

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be the strategic reasons for the defense to want to delay the preliminary hearing?

Well, one reason could be to keep him in jail (rather than in prison) for longer?

I think we're going to see the overall defense strategy will be delay, parry, delay.

Also, this gives the defense time to organize some expert analysis of some evidence (there's likely more than just one DNA sample to reanalyze) and by then, public interest will have waned quite a bit.

And, the only other I can think of is that Ms. Taylor wants him to see the totality of the evidence (GPS, Google searches, any other digital evidence; more video than has been referenced so far, etc) and influence his plea. IOW, to soften him up a bit for a plea bargain. Her best advice to him might not be what he wants to hear right now.

He certainly looked wan and those shaving scratches say maybe he's not use to the dull blades of a small county jail.

My amateur guess on what the defense will do is to simply try to get the death penalty off the table. I don't think they will come back with the arguments that the victims did anything to invite this, or that someone framed BK, or that someone stole his car and phone and then returned it, or any such thing. Unless the defense has some kind of evidence to support these statements, it doesn't seem like they would be doing justice for their client by trying to instill doubt that way. JMO...not an attorney, obviously.

If at some point, the attempt at reasonable doubt becomes unreasonable, the goal would then be to keep him alive, IMO.

The prosecution also, didn't object and was flexible with date of prelim hearing.

Edited to add: A hearing within 14 days would not be to either side's advantage, it appears.
Yes, prosecution didn’t object. I would assume that it also gives them more time to prepare for that prelim…investigation is still ongoing. moo

Well, one reason could be to keep him in jail (rather than in prison) for longer?

I think we're going to see the overall defense strategy will be delay, parry, delay.

Also, this gives the defense time to organize some expert analysis of some evidence (there's likely more than just one DNA sample to reanalyze) and by then, public interest will have waned quite a bit.

And, the only other I can think of is that Ms. Taylor wants him to see the totality of the evidence (GPS, Google searches, any other digital evidence; more video than has been referenced so far, etc) and influence his plea. IOW, to soften him up a bit for a plea bargain. Her best advice to him might not be what he wants to hear right now.

He certainly looked wan and those shaving scratches say maybe he's not use to the dull blades of a small county jail.

I’ll confess that I wondered about that ‘soften him up for a plea bargain,’ too.

We know he parked at 4:04 and X was on TikTok until 4:12. If he didn't enter until after 4:12 and killed X & E first, then he sat in his car for at least 8 mins and only has 7 minutes to do both murders on two floors before he is seen running out at 4:20. Also, the thud at 4:17 when the dog also started barking is heard by the camera nearest X's bedroom, so that seems most likely to be X, so it's possible that Murphy started barking after hearing a crash on the second floor loud enough to pick up on a neighbor's camera. It's a lot less plausible like that.

What we don't know is where Xana was when on TikTok. My view is that she was in her room, snuggled in bed, having just eaten her food and was drifting off to sleep with TikTok. He went past the door of X and E's room to go upstairs, which is why SG thinks K and/or M were targeted. I believe it's clear to LE who was killed first and that all of the parents have been briefed on that and were briefed on it as early as end of November, if not earlier.

That makes the timeline make sense to me.

i wonder if the delay is something he had given thought to, eventually thinking of dragging this out to a sort of game or real life exercise of what he has been learning about...
I don't know...I'm just not feeling that with him this time around. He looked defeated and a bit gaunt. And scared.
<Mod snip - No link for photo/screenshot>

Last edited by a moderator:
Over here, folks only began locking doors a couple years ago. I always have because of having lived so long near Los Angeles. There have always been evil people, but it seems they act with more impunity today. What is it that causes a person to cross that line where you wouldn't even touch a stranger, much less harm them? People have changed.
On another subject: I was thinking about his touch dna being found on his knife sheath button tab. If it was hard to open, maybe it was new and the leather still stiff? There are at least two military surplus stores in Post Falls. I suppose a debit card would not identify anyone if that was the payment form. I was thinking he might have purchased the knife and sheath as a set to use just for this occasion. If that were true and provable, would it be one more thing to connect him to the murders?
MOO he wiped the sheath clean and was wearing gloves.
The touch DNA was caught by the rivets or under the edge of the snap button.

I keep getting confused about how they tracked BK to his parents’ house in PA. I understand that the WSU cops saw his car, traced it, found that it had just been titled with WA state and given front/rear WA plates. I get that they found that his prior registration was PA. I get that PA has rear plates only and video on the night of the murders showed an Elantra with a single plate.

I get that cops got DNA from trash at BKs dad’s house which connected BKs DNA with a 99.998% probable match to his dad.

But how did they connect BK to being in PA for Xmas? I don’t believe his car was tailed or surveilled by air. I don't think they had the DNA connection made yet, thus he wasn’t apprehended prior to his trip to PA.

Sometimes I think I’ve connected those dots and then at other times I’m befuddled. I don’t think it’s fact that they used the genealogy databases to connect BK to the home in PA before Xmas.

How did they track him to the Kohberger family home in PA? This is driving me crazy.
WSU would have that information on file, his permanent address in PA (parents' address). They would have been communicating with BK over the year before he started his studies at WSU, admission letters, info on acceptance and details, housing information sent, info about graduate student orientation, etc. LE would only have needed a warrant to get that info from WSU.

out of curiosity- we know that BK hasn't had any contact (that we know of for now) with the four victims.

do we know if he knew or had any contact in any way with the two survivors? i know its a bit far fetched, but i am just wondering if perhaps that could have had played a part in his actions. either to impress, to frighten, to intimidate, etc.

I was hoping for a speedy trial defense. Get this over with quicker. JMO.
I understand your feeling, but I believe that the prosecution probably needs the extra time to prepare for trial just as much as the defense may. I want them to be as fully prepared as they can be when this goes to trial, so that this guy gets convicted and put away for life. Justice delayed does not have to mean justice denied, and in this case, I do not believe justice will be denied. That is certainly my prayer. JMO

Is digging into someone's trash "before" a search warrant a bad thing? hopefully not, or maybe they got approval from the neighbor. Just hoping this isn't a police misstep and is actually a BK misstep.
With a disclosure that Im not familiar with specific search and seizure laws in PA/WA, searching trash without a warrant is generally allowed if left in an area accessible to the public.
Police had probable cause.

I don't know...I'm just not feeling that with him this time around. He looked defeated and a bit gaunt. And scared.
View attachment 394870
i agree. to be honest i am too empathetic for these things- my heart just breaks for the victims, their families, friends,etc but i just can't help feeling a bit bad for him, as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther