ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are seats not too far from the food truck location, in the direction the video indicates the girls went.
am also wondering if the intruder was a stranger, would the dog not have been alarmed? (do not want to hear that it
@0:40
"My sister did everything right, they went out in the buddy system, they went out together, they ubered out, they stopped and got food, they ubered home, let dog out to go potty, and then they lock their house up, they did everything right, and this still happened".

We don’t know if that is an assumption or LE/specifically told her that.

There’s a good chance the house wasn’t locked or it wasn’t locked until all the roommates returned home. Having lived in a home that large during college, you never wanted to lock a roommate out; most bedroom doors have locks, so for safety that usually sufficed.

The person could easily have slipped-in, broken-in or known where a spare key was hidden.

Yes I’ve seen the picture, I’m just trying to understand how blood has seeped through like that. Seeping through a ceiling I can understand the mechanics of, seeping through a thick exterior wall halfway up doesn’t make much sense to me.
If the house has "settled" over the years there could be a very small gap where the interior floor meets the wall. It's why a lot of older houses are drafty. Even though the interior has been cosmetically upgraded, they may not have addressed this kind of issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if whoever did this is a girl and not a guy as most people seem to be thinking. Something about this level of violence against 3 girls (and 1 guy) in a home where at least 2 more girls lived makes me lean that way, I don't know.

I don’t know which day Formal was. Maybe someone knows how to tell exactly when something was posted on Instagram. It says 5 days ago.

View attachment 380220View attachment 380221
If you hover your mouse over the "days ago" (mine says 4 days ago) the date of the photo was uploaded is November 11, 2022, (see attached screenshot) but I don't know when it was taken.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 3.40.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 3.40.54 PM.png
    376.4 KB · Views: 55
That's likely because the landlord allowed it with the letter. But the laws themselves don't protect for emotional support animals. They are considered different from service animals and in my experience, many doctors won't write letters for them.
Like I said, laws vary by state. In Indiana landlords are not allowed to discriminate against Emotional Support Animals.

• Do landlords in Indiana have to accept ESAs?Landlords cannot discriminate against ESAs and must accommodate them unless the emotional support animals create a threat to other tenants or the home.

Indiana ESA Housing Laws and the Fair Housing Act

The Fair Housing Act (FHA) protects you and your emotional support animal from discrimination. A landlord or housing providers must provide reasonable accommodation to you and your support animal under the Fair Housing Act. Emotional support animal owners must be accommodated in most situations, but if your pet poses a threat to other tenants or the home you're renting, the landlord could refuse to house you. You will need to show your landlord a copy of your official emotional support animal letter, and they may request a copy that they can keep on file. You do not have to provide any personal information regarding your conditions, but you will need to share your letter with them. Federal laws protect emotional support animals because landlords cannot charge you extra fees, pet deposits, or pet fees. Any housing providers attempting to charge you extra fees because you have emotional support animals violates your rights as an emotional support animal owner.

Some general observations / questions if this was indeed a targeted attack towards one or more of the victims:

1. The suspect/s would have to know the victim was home inside the residence and/or would be home that night.

2. Were they being watched / stalked all night?

3. Had the suspect/s been in the house before...ie.; knew the layout, knew they had a dog and which bedrooms belonged to each respective victim.

4. From the food truck video, we know MM & KG were together prior to the attack, were NC & XK already back at the residence at this time? If not, when did they arrive? NC didn't live at the house, but was staying over that night...Did the suspect/s know this?

Thanks for the link. But they said locked in. Probably assuming that tho I would guess.
I’m quoting it because I just re-listened. She said “I don’t know for a fact but I know my sisters, I know for a fact they lock their doors”.

She clearly prefaced her statement by saying I don’t know for a fact. What she’s saying is generally they lock their doors or they are known to lock their doors. She is not saying that she knows they locked their door that night.

So this says that the blood was dripping from the first floor bedroom down an exterior wall at the back of the house. I would love to know whose bedroom that was.
FWIW, I lived in a 6-bedroom apt in a much bigger, different city. But one of the bedrooms was in the basement. Not sure about the current layout of the house but 6 bedrooms are a lot to fit in an old house retro-fitted as a 6- bedroom.

Possibly someone following them in this video within article. While Madison Mogen and Kaylee Goncalves were at a Food Truck.
Guy adjusts his hat and pulls up his hood.

I'm still not convinced the drip stains are blood. Since they are located on the foundation of the house, it seems there are several other possible reasons for those stains. No doubt LE will test them but for the victims and their families, I really hope there is another explanation besides blood.
The top of the vertical concrete foundation is where the horizontal floor meets. The blood went through a gap between the two and ran down the concrete foundation. These were hard floors, IMO, carpet usually soaks up blood and it doesn't run off.

At very least I hope the news conference elevates fears for you local folks.
At best hopes perhaps the search warrant was for a immediate area other residence and in fact they are narrowing in and just trying to find the weapon at this point. Hence the big trash search.

Things are happening fast in this investigation. They have lots of good info and timelines. So the puzzle will come through soon enough IMHO

Does anyone else find it strange that the autopsies weren't performed until today? I think that's a bunch of malarkey. They would have to find out if these victims had been shot and then p attempt to retrieve the bullets to potentially link to a gun later. And how were they able to pinpoint a time of death without examining the stomach contents?
I don't find it strange, they probably had to put some teams together.

Time of death can be established/narrowed down with multiple inputs, last use of cell phone, unanswered call, core body temperature, rigor mortis, fitness tracker, etc.

Started trying to put together a TIMELINE for this one to try to separate facts from rumors/speculation, but it's been a bit of a challenge to keep up with the growing thread. (Also, I was initially thinking that Moscow, ID was in Mountain Time, so please let me know if I've done the time zone switch wrong in any of my info!) I have not watched any video yet, so there may be missing info from those (please @ me if there's specific info you think should be included!)

VICTIMS:
EC = Ethan Chapin [IG / FB], a 20-year-old from Conway, Washington [1]; freshman, member of Sigma Chi fraternity majoring in recreation, sport and tourism management in the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences. [7]; school indicates hometown was Mount Vernon, WA [9]; one of triplets that all attended UofI[36]; staying overnight with his girlfriend XK [39]
FAMILY INTERVIEW: NOV 15

XK = Xana Kernodle [IG / TikTok / FB], 20, from Avondale, Arizona [1]; junior from Post Falls majoring in marketing in the College of Business and Economics, member of Pi Beta Phi sorority [7]; dating EC, worked as server at Mad Greek restaurant [36]

MM = Madison Mogen [IG / TikTok / FB], a 21-year-old from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho [1]; senior majoring in marketing in the College of Business and Economics, member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority [7]; worked as server at Mad Greek restaurant [36]

KG = Kaylee Goncalves [IG / TikTok / FB], 21, from Rathdrum, Idaho [1]; senior majoring in general studies in the College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences, member of the Alpha Phi sorority [7]; middle of five children, owner of a dog named Murphy [31], was going to start a new tech job in TX in Jan [36]
FAMILY INTERVIEW: NOV 15 | NOV 16

TIMELINE

AUG 16

• MM posts a "meet the roommates" image on IG [12]
AUG 22
  • MM posts a "first day of school" image on IG [11]

SEP 12
  • POSSIBLY UNRELATED: man threatened students on UofI campus with a knife [35]

OCT 29
  • XK's final IG post, wishing EC a happy birthday [13]

F NOV 11
  • MM's final IG post [10]
  • KG's final texts with her sister [31]
Sa NOV 12
  • KG's final IG post w roommates [15]
  • PM - neighbors hear loud music from somewhere "in the neighborhood"; did NOT hear screaming or gunshots [33]
  • PM - neighbors report "hearing noise from the house Saturday evening but said it sounded like a party rather than an altercation." [40]

Su NOV 13 - DEATH OF VICTIMS, BODIES DISCOVERED
  • [TIME?] - MM & KG took Uber to get food [43@0:45]
  • 1:33AM - 1:53AM [41] - MM & KG seen on Twitch video from Grub Truck food truck [38], where they order pasta; manager states they were "slightly intoxicated" [41] - VIDEO from Gray Hughes Investigates
  • [TIME?] - MM & KG took Uber home, let dog out, locked house up [43@0:45]
  • 3AM-4AM - Estimated time of death [9]
  • 11:58AM [20] - LE respond to "a report of an unconscious person" (later verified to be one of the deceased [30]); according to EC's mother, bodies were found by "a friend" [32] who does not live in the house [39]; fire and EMS also on scene but did not go into residence [1]; First responders "discovered four individuals who were deceased" [20] - EC was found on floor of second level [36]; officers describe a bloody crime scene, "especially on upper floors of the house" [37]
  • 2:16 PM - UofI FB post advises students to shelter in place due to investigation of homicide on King St [3]
  • 2:51 PM - UofI FB post lifts shelter-in-place, states that LE are still investigating death of 4 people but do not believe there is an active threat [4]
  • 5:25PM - UofI FB post states that LE is still investigating, but there is no ongoing threat [5]
  • 9:17 PM - University president posts on FB about deaths, cancels class for M Nov 14, offers counseling resources [6]
  • PM - neighbors state they saw police, "group of women crying while draped in emergency blankets" [33]

M NOV 14 - DECLARED A HOMICIDE INVESTIGATION
  • online and in-person classes at University canceled [1]
  • 12:50 PM - MSM reports that 4 students found dead near campus [1]
  • 12:21 PM - UofI FB posts identities of victims [7], states "Moscow police do not believe there is an ongoing community risk based on information gathered during the preliminary investigation" [8]
  • 1:31 PM - search dogs at scene [29]
  • 1:49 PM - MSM reports that it is being treated as homicide investigation [2]
  • PM - Moscow Police Capt. Anthony Dahlinger told the Idaho Statesman Monday night that none of the deceased students are believed to be responsible for the deaths. [9], NYT reporter also states that county coroner said it was NOT a murder-suicide [17]
  • 5:56PM - Mayor refuses to confirm NYT's "crime of passion" description [21], states it is one possibility [32]
  • PM - media tries to canvas neighbors, who decline to make a comment, "most" stating that they didn't really know the victims; state that police had previously canvassed neighborhood as well [32]

Tu NOV 15 - PRELIMINARY CAUSE OF DEATH RELEASED: STABBING
no weapon found, no suspect in custody

• Moscow PD release statement - "Evidence indicates that this was a targeted attack." [16]
  • Some students, feeling unsafe, leave early for Thanksgiving break [18]
  • Coroner calls the scene "gruesome" [34]
  • DailyMail (TABLOID) posts image they claim is blood "oozing" out of residence; state that scene was "the worst [police] had ever seen; "there was blood everywhere;" "have never seen anything like this"; trash taken to garbage depot [36]
  • KG's family interview states that door had a keypad code [42@1:45]

• 8:36AM - vigil postponed until after Thanksgiving [28] - cf W Nov 16
  • 11:24AM - LE press release states they are still searching for "an edged weapon such as a knife" that was used in attack [27]
  • 2:07PM - LE stop garbage truck from leaving residence, as they have not recovered weapon [26]
  • 2:40PM - bodies in Spokane County, autopsies to take place on Wed; preliminary findings show stabbing as cause of death; "a lot of blood;" no indication of substance use [25]
  • 4:25PM - confirmed that FBI is working with local LE [19]
  • 6:36PM - county prosecutor states there is a sealed warrant issued at residence; "a handful of other warrants" in the works [24]
  • 7:11PM - Families of MM & KG release statement calling for justice [23]

W NOV 16
  • AM - Video shared online of MM & KG at Grub Truck food truck [38] - cf Su NOV 13
  • Parents speak out against LE & school for "lack of information [40]
  • 3:30PM - news conference planned by ISP & Moscow PD [22]
  • 5PM - vigil planned on University's Administration Lawn [9] - postponed as of T NOV 15 [28] rescheduled to NOV 30 [34]

SOURCES:
[1] 4 University of Idaho students found dead near campus - 6ABC - Nov 14
[2] Four university students found dead near campus - MirrorUK - Nov 14
[3] UofI FB - Nov 13
[4] UofI FB - Nov 13
[5] UofI FB - Nov 13
[6] UofI FB - Nov 13
[7] UofI FB - Nov 14
[8] UofI FB - Nov 14
[9] 4 Slain University of Idaho students are victims - ElkoDaily - Nov 14
[10] MM Instagram - Nov 11
[11] MM Instagram - Aug 22
[12] MM Instagram - Aug 16
[13] XK Instagram - Oct 29
[14] EC Instagram - May 13
[15] KG Instagram - Nov 12
[16] Moscow PD - Nov 15
[17] @NickAtNews (NYT) tweet - Nov 14
[18] @NickAtNews (NYT) tweet THREAD - Nov 15
[19] @NickAtNews (NYT) tweet - Nov 15
[20] Four university of Idaho Students discovered dead - Law&Crime - Nov 15
[21] @AndrewBaertlein (KTVB) tweet - Nov 14
[22] @AndrewBaertlein (KTVB) tweet - Nov 16
[23] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet - Nov 15
[24] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet - Nov 15
[25] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet THREAD - Nov 15
[26] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet THREAD - Nov 15
[27] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet THREAD - Nov 15
[28] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet - Nov 15
[29] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet - Nov 14
[30] @dugganreports (KTVB) tweet - Nov 15
[31] Family of alleged Moscow homicide victim remembers - Nov 14
[32] Suspect sought in U of I deaths - Idaho Statesman - Nov 15
[33] Four U of I students died in senseless act of violence - LM Tribute - Nov 14
[34] Homicide investigation underway - KHQ - Nov 15
[35] Man reportedly threatened students with knife - ISJ - Sep 15
[36] Blood oozes through walls of home - DailyMail (TABLOID) - Nov 15
[37] University of Utah homicide victims - FoxNews - Nov 15
[38] @johnwebbtv (KHQ-TV) - Nov 16
[39] 4 Idaho students killed in 'targeted attack' - ABCNews - Nov 16
[40] Slain university of Idaho victims' parents frustrated - ABCNews - Nov 16
[41] Chilling video shows 2 of the 4 - DailyMail (TABLOID) - Nov 16
[42] Extended interview with the family of Kaylee Goncalves VIDEO - KHQ - Nov 15
[43] Idaho College Students murdered in 'Crime of Passion' VIDEO - Inside Edition - Nov 16

Last edited:
Four students were killed, two of them staying in one bedroom. So that leaves three other bedrooms in this six bedroom house where no one was killed. If this was a targeted attack as LE has indicated, it almost seems that the attacker went from room to room killing until he found who he was looking for. If he knew exactly where to go, he would have gone there right away, I would think.

Do we have a link that says that Ethan was killed on a different floor from the other three? I keep seeing that said but I must have missed where it came from.
im not sure ive seen that the other room mates, if any, were home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley