ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 44

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel as though his plan was to commit and get away with "the perfect crime". Then sit back and watch it unfold in the news on an international level, which would be pretty spectacular for someone like him. I also think he would go on to write a book about this crime, being a Ph.D holder in criminology. He's be able to pick it apart and relive it over and over again. I can see that being the ultimate personal "win".

At the rate this is moving, (I routinely skip pages and pages) when the PCA is released it's going to be brutal. We need a daily summary post. :) A little more numerated than the media thread. *wishful thinking*
Lol. I know what you mean. I’m reading and responding to you on page 28. The thread is on page 48 and this will probably post to page 49 ! Lol

LE had killer DNA from the crime scene

If they used genetic genealogy techniques and a database and found a ’match’ , that isn‘t a match to a person- it is a match to a genetic line of people which could include thousands

This genealogy match, his residence location, his car, and his study in school could have supported a warrant to follow him and collect his DNA from trash

BCK DNA then was run in comparison with DNA of killer from the crime scene = 100% match

JMO

Not sure a warrant is needed for trash (although it would be wise). Last time I checked, there were plenty of discarded items used for forensic DNA studies.

If they had the Elantra and its registration data, which surely they must have had to "track it" to PA, then they knew his parents' names (IMO).

All that would be needed for this type of genetic genealogy would be DNA from 1 or preferably both parents. A kleenex. A paper towel. It would not require use of GEDMatch or similar - and so far, it seems the source for that hypothesis is Nancy Grace (in her first or second youtube episode concerning this case). She has given no source for this information, nor has CNN.

I am guessing they found BCK's DNA in the trash as well (or on a car door handle if he wasn't wearing gloves all the time), But they sure didn't need his actual DNA to get confirmation of his identity from his parental DNA.

For someone that smart it was pretty stupid to use your own car.
Yeah, I don't get why he didn't just commit this crime on his own campus where he could have fled on foot. That is, if he was killing just for the sake of killing.

This makes me think he was, in fact, stalking either the house or one (or more) of the victims. I keep thinking why that house, why those kids? I cannot make the connection. Maybe it's some sort of 6 degrees of separation type of thing.

Pretty sure some of my questions will be answered as soon as the court records are unsealed.

I'm guessing they'll move this to Boise, ID in Ada County like they did with the Lori Vallow and Chad Daybell case. I live in this county and think it would be fascinating to attend the trial.
I agree that would be fascinating. I watching the televised Mollie Tibbetts trial and it was very interesting.

Sorry if this has already been discussed. Threads are sooo moving fast!!

How long can we expect it to take for him to be back in Idaho? He doesn’t plan to fight extradition, and his hearing is on Tuesday? Just wondering how long until he’s transported back….. and when we can expect to unseal that affidavit?

I read they collected a DNA sample from BK as soon as he was booked.

Yet, you pose a good question about it's use in solving a current crime. Will the DA still need to prove the genetic DNA match was a correct match? Will they need to collect a new DNA sample from the distant relative to prove there wasn't a lab error along the way?

Or is it enough to use his current sample? Are there any current trials using genetic DNA? tia

They will directly compare his DNA to the DNA taken from the crime scene. The original comparison to the distant relative won’t even come into the discussion, I believe—once they have BK’s DNA, the genetic genealogy connection isn’t relevant.

MOO

I thought that until this guy was picked up. Now I'm not so sure. I'm picking up "smartest guy in the room" vibes from this dude and I don't think he'd like to share the spotlight for his "achievement."
Bingo! Guy couldn't possibly find someone smart enough to his liking to corroborate with. Maybe, just maybe he'd accept someone's help as a getaway driver, but dude didn't really need one.

Thank you! I see that the coroner said that there was no medical way to know in which order they were killed. That’s the sort of thing I suspected—it’s very different from simply saying ‘no way to know.’
There will be a scientific way to know though IMO. The Blood DNA from V1 will be on V2 and V3 will/should display DNA from V1 and V2. V4 will/should display DNA from all three of the victims. When she said no medical way to know perhaps, IMO, she was saying based on autopsy we can not tell the order. DNA analysis should be able to clarify this and of course it wasn't available at time of autopsy.

It depends on the reason. According to some research, autism spectrum disorder may play a role in some cases.

"There are a number of themes that seem to emerge consistently from this research, including a naïve understanding of relationships and jealousy of others or anger and frustration at their own experiences . . .."

Those factors could apply to anyone with poor social skills, in my opinion, even if autism spectrum disorder is not present (or at least to any male because females in similar situations don't seem to react with violence unless you count self harm).
Some research. Much of the research is adamant that ASD has nothing to do with it. We do not know that that he is on the spectrum, unless I've missed something. Linking his crime to that is sketchy at best. What Do We Really Know About Autism and Crime?

There will be a scientific way to know though IMO. The Blood DNA from V1 will be on V2 and V3 will/should display DNA from V1 and V2. V4 will/should display DNA from all three of the victims. When she said no medical way to know perhaps, IMO, she was saying based on autopsy we can not tell the order. DNA analysis should be able to clarify this and of course it wasn't available at time of autopsy.
Absolutely.

Sorry if this has already been discussed. Threads are sooo moving fast!!

How long can we expect it to take for him to be back in Idaho? He doesn’t plan to fight extradition, and his hearing is on Tuesday? Just wondering how long until he’s transported back….. and when we can expect to unseal that affidavit?
At Friday's press conference they said his return to Idaho would be very swift if he waived extradition, so maybe late next week? Just a guess on my part.

It was not only DNA match to a genetic line they followed. LE were tipped about the car, too. And this excelerated the search significantly.

Lets see the time line, i hjink it will help to understand what and how they got him. Some dates are not precise, there is an element of infornative guess.

On 13th of November victims were found killed.

13-15 Nov DNA samples taken from the crime scene and sent to lab for testing;

Around 1st of Dec lab tests starting coming back, we do not know in what order,

let's say around 6-7 of December unidentified DNAs (presumably there were more than 1 unidentified DNA) from the crime scene were detected; delayed repirting because they had to test them more than once before deciding there are no match with victims nor to anyone from their inner circle.

7th Dec - first appeal for the white car

16th Dec BK and his Father arrived at PA and took the car for servicing, confirmed my the mechanic at the garage;

Now, let.do some maths in reverse order:

Trip from WA to PA - 2500 miles - took circa 3 days.

So, it is safe to assume that the father and son departed from Pullman on 13th of Dec.

We know that LE/FBI were following them during the trip, meaning that BK was already a POI prior embarking on the trip.

So, it is safe to assume that between 8th of Dec and 12th of Dec LE received a tip about BK car and checked where the car was registered, who was the owner, verified the car with images and video taken by various cameras en-route to 1122; i guess that LE had at least a part of numbers/letters of the regisration plate of the car and that part matched the BK car plate.

So, on or around 12th of Decemver BK was already a POI.

Whilst FBI was following BK to his trip to PA, LE excelerated genealogy DNA darabase checks, but as they had the surname of their suspect, the search by surname was much faster, as Kohberger is not very common surname.

They selected all Kohbergers from the database and most likely than not looked also for car registration address match, which may narrowed the searched results even further,

From extracted few database records from genealogy DB it was a matter of few days to find the match.

So, this explains why DNA match to KB relative was found relatively quickly.

I am sure they also checked other unidentified DNAs from the crime scene, to eliminate any errors, which took few more days as they did not have surnames.

I would say, around 23rd of December LE was confident BK is their man.

I think when the request for the white Elantra went out LE got a tip from some at WSU with the name and description of BCK
WSU Tip made him a POI- sometime early Dec

Did they watch him, did he drive back to the crime scene? Did he wash his car?
Some reports say he started wearing gloves everywhere, to prevent fingerprints.

I think watching him, collecting his trash is what linked him to the crime scene DNA with more clarity- it took time for those tests to come back

Yes they likely had other POIs that were running into dead ends
Agree, likely about the 23rd

JMO

I’ll add that I was disappointed to learn we no longer have a single capital case qualified public defender, let alone the two required, in our entire judicial district (Moscow & Latah County are in Idaho’s second judicial district).

https://pdc.idaho.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/IdahoCapitalCounselRoster20221215.pdf
Wow. That's a very intriguing piece of news! Thank you. It's the legal proceedings part of cases that are my favorite part. I am always grateful for the locals who hang in to inform us.

And to our wonderful WS lawyers, who will hopefully stick with us as well.

I wonder about evidence in the car (if found any).

Is it possible that there is transfer of something from the house to the car?

Even the tiniest fibres?

JMO

Well, since it seems clear that he drove to 1122 King Road (although I suppose he could have biked - but I doubt it), then I don't see how he didn't get victim DNA inside the car. Which he has probably cleaned 10-20X since then. But that won't get rid of DNA. It's a pesky molecule that can persist for a long time. Bleach doesn't break it up. It might be degraded, but studies of objects put through hot water washes with bleach 10-20X still turn up the original small amount of DNA put on them by experimenters.

He did not attend a college with a program in genetics, any anthropology (much less forensic anthro), or even sociology. I doubt he's ever had a biology class and if so, it wouldn't have gone into genetics at more than a basic level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean