ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think "surveillance" and "tracking" are two different things, because at first I thought the same as you.

Surveillance basically means either a monitored camera (as used in jails and prisons) or actual eyeballs on the subject.

Tracking can mean a device attached to a car, for example. I do not think they actually sent cars of officers all along his road trip (but, frankly, I enjoyed believing that briefly because it made me happy - but others have convinced me, and my memory about how LE handles cases like this kicked in).

Once at his parents' house (thereby checking that box on the list of investigators), they likely had him under physical and continual surveillance.

Box checked was - yep, the Elantra they felt was associated with the crime did show up at the legal owners' house, where a POI (BCK) could be expected to go). It was not stolen by some other monster, it was actually the son of the legal owner.
The article makes it sound like it was probably cross-country eyeball surveillance, not GPS tracking:

"It's an incredibly complicated, well-choreographed ballet, if I may, of surveillance efforts that would cross multiple FBI field divisions," McCabe said. "Would involve multiple surveillance teams who were following him in certain areas and handing him off to new teams." Former FBI official explains how agents tracked, surveilled Bryan Kohberger

To put a tracker on the car, they would need a search warrant (Carpenter v. US --Sup. Ct. decision) and I don't think they had probable cause to get a warrant at the start of the trip. JMO.

well if this is true, bang goes another hundred speculations from the last two threads ( including my own too)

'LaBar said BK's father flew out to WA to drive back with to PA with him for Christmas break. However, LaBar said that was planned before BK went to WA for fall semester that dad would fly out and drive back with BK'

But I hope the families of the victims have their questions answered.
They've lost everything.
Even if their parents have other children (& I think there may be !), the family unit will never be the same.
If BK did this, he hurt them unimaginably !
Imo.
Victim Impact Statements are powerful, I do hope the hope the families at least get that satisfaction...

well if this is true, bang goes another hundred speculations from the last two threads ( including my own too)

'LaBar said BK's father flew out to WA to drive back with to PA with him for Christmas break. However, LaBar said that was planned before BK went to WA for fall semester that dad would fly out and drive back with BK'
WS will say show us the plane ticket purchased way ahead of time

I don’t think there is anything weird with BK dad driving home with him. Seems the car was having issues so dad went along for the drive in case the car broke down. Then when they arrived home it went I. For a service and BK was going to do the drive back alone. What I can’t figure out is the timeline. I gave read that BK was followed on the drive back to PA and under surveillance for four days, but he arrived in December 16th and was arrested December 30. I’m confused on that but, can someone set my brain straight on it please?
I know I am soooooo behind on catching up (even when I cheat and skip a few pages at a time- Lol) so my apologies for asking this if it's already been posted 100 times, but do you have a source for where it was stated the car was having mechanical problems and went into the shop? TIA

If he had his cell phone with him the night of the murders, LE probably also had cell phone/tower data showing where he was that night. JMO.
I agree. Not sure if you are familiar with the Kenneth Saal case in NJ. He murdered a woman, Carolyn Byington, in my development and the police were able to track his cellphone data showing he was in the development. That along with His DNA helped to put him behind bars.

All MOO, of course. IF Kohberger did it...

I think he is an INCEL (as someone mentioned earlier).

I also think he's intelligent but not smart.

I believe he was stalking the two girls before the murders.

I believe the killing of Chapin and Kernodle was either an error (mistaken bedroom) or done to confuse law enforcement. I think he was primarily after Goncalves and/or Mogen.

I believe he may have thought a "prize-winning" thesis (regarding criminals' mindset and crimes) might get him all the way to employment in the FBI Profiling Unit, although I doubt he would have ever passed their mental/emotional examinations.
I’m the one who said it and agree with everything you said - and I’m SO pissed that if he gets convicted, women will flock to him. And he’ll be looked up to because he’s a criminologist.

At least we can move to another topic now. The car debate was tiring me out!

This article makes me sad. If person or persons who witnessed all of this cruel and anti-social behavior toward another human being would have tried, in some small way, to mitigate these events, perhaps many many lives could have been changed and saved. I'm aware these sentiments apply to all tragedies of this ilk but am specifically speaking to the Moscow murders.

think I saw its 40 hour trip. Maybe 4 days 10 each day and they stop and see some stuff maybe in Chicago. moo

The way I do road trips (it's 37 hours driving at the speed limit - which, IME, is never the case on that particular road), it would be a 3 day trip, no problem. I typically drive 15 hours a day and I know many who also do so. When you have to travel for work or whatnot, you get a good audible play list (or in this case, your dad) and just haul across the country ASAP. I'm actually planning such a trip right now.

It's not pleasant, I guess. But I pack the right food and I"m old, but still can do as long as 17-18 hours if it means 1 less night in a hotel before destination.

Question for anyone in PA that may know - but could it be that the Elantra had to go through an inspection / smog test to be re-registered for another year? I know in some states kids need to bring their cars back to their home state in order to register it for another year?! It might explain why he drove it back and Dad had this long-planned trip with him?
Just a thought...

If he had his cell phone with him the night of the murders, LE probably also had cell phone/tower data showing where he was that night. JMO.

Even kids know that the location of the mobile phones can be traced even if they are switched off.

So, if he had his cell phone with him that night, that would be the most stupid thing he could have done, on the top of all other most stupid things he certainly has done amongst which driving to kill 4 people on the car registered to his mum and not checking if any of his relatives sent their DNA to genealogy DB. And I am sure we will learn about few more stupid things he has done. Because the guy lacks basic existential intelligence, he is not street-wise person. He was protected for almost all of his life by his family and failed the moment he left his shelter and became detached from his family. The only reason why LE was baffled by the case at the beginning was because they could not find any obvious connection between him and 4 victims. That was the only smart part of his plan.

Question for anyone in PA that may know - but could it be that the Elantra had to go through an inspection / smog test to be re-registered for another year? I know in some states kids need to bring their cars back to their home state in order to register it for another year?! It might explain why he drove it back and Dad had this long-planned trip with him?
Just a thought...

I think "surveillance" and "tracking" are two different things, because at first I thought the same as you.

Surveillance basically means either a monitored camera (as used in jails and prisons) or actual eyeballs on the subject.

Tracking can mean a device attached to a car, for example. I do not think they actually sent cars of officers all along his road trip (but, frankly, I enjoyed believing that briefly because it made me happy - but others have convinced me, and my memory about how LE handles cases like this kicked in).

Once at his parents' house (thereby checking that box on the list of investigators), they likely had him under physical and continual surveillance.

Box checked was - yep, the Elantra they felt was associated with the crime did show up at the legal owners' house, where a POI (BCK) could be expected to go). It was not stolen by some other monster, it was actually the son of the legal owner.
I feel like they may have done both, if they were absolutely sure he was the killer. Maybe they needed more proof/evidence for an arrest. From the moment they were sure that BK was the murderer they had the responsibility to keep the public safe. IMO they had eyes on him, even before he crossed the country with his father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675