ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idaho Statutes

(1) A sentence of death shall not be imposed unless the prosecuting attorney filed written notice of intent to seek the death penalty with the court and served the notice upon the defendant or his attorney of record no later than sixty (60) days after entry of a plea.

Also, in Idaho, the Judge decides the penalty of life in prison or death.
I think a jury can also decide.

18-4004. PUNISHMENT FOR MURDER. Subject to the provisions of sections 19-2515 and 19-2515A, Idaho Code, every person guilty of murder of the first degree shall be punished by death or by imprisonment for life, provided that a sentence of death shall not be imposed unless the prosecuting attorney filed written notice of intent to seek the death penalty as required under the provisions of section 18-4004A, Idaho Code, and provided further that whenever the death penalty is not imposed the court shall impose a sentence. If a jury, or the court if a jury is waived, finds a statutory aggravating circumstance beyond a reasonable doubt but finds that the imposition of the death penalty would be unjust, the court shall impose a fixed life sentence. If a jury, or the court if a jury is waived, does not find a statutory aggravating circumstance beyond a reasonable doubt or if the death penalty is not sought, the court shall impose a life sentence with a minimum period of confinement of not less than ten (10) years during which period of confinement the offender shall not be eligible for parole or discharge or credit or reduction of sentence for good conduct, except for meritorious service. Every person guilty of murder of the second degree is punishable by imprisonment not less than ten (10) years and the imprisonment may extend to life.

Section 18-4004 – Idaho State Legislature

Wait, do people not like catching criminals using DNA?
Why such a commotion about searching and matching DNA to solve crimes
I can answer this. I can also answer why I would NEVER want my DNA to be used for anything. DNA can be replicated. Also, we leave our DNA EVERYWHERE. So, for example, you go to a party, to a bar, to the grocery store, etc... All of those places are potential crime scenes right? I really don't want my DNA matched every time there is a crime scene somewhere and I may have casually been there. JMO

All MOO-

I can’t help but to keep wondering what the motive here was.

I’ve thought about this a great deal over the last week.

Was he just born a brutal murderer or did he do it just to see if he could after getting caught up and obsessed with murderers and killing through his research and decide he wanted to kill others from this? Was it mental illness triggered? Was it obsession based on envy? Did childhood and years of bullying play a part to knock him over the edge?

I’m interested to hear what others think motive is.

Me personally, after hearing more about him over the last week…. I’m curious if these brutal senseless murders were research and career based.

I know it sounds crazy but hear me out.

As we all know he went to Desales for undergrad and one of his teachers was famed author and expert Katherine Ramsland.

We know from interviews with friends he seems to have struggled to fit in and was bullied often and struggled socially.

He was proud of his intelligence.

Proud of his research and career plans. Took this very seriously.

What if he studied what launched Dr. Ramsland career and success. Was envious of her success and wanted to be just like her. She is respected in both academia and in the public for her expertise in criminology and knowledge of the mind of murderers and serial killers. Has worked first hand with some of the worlds most famous killers and researched and written about them.

Again, hear me out. MOO.

What if motive for BK is fast track fame and respect from peers, criminology academia and the world for his research and help in investigating the high profile brutal murder of 4 young college students.

What if he did this to become the expert on the case? No one could put the pieces together better than the man who committed the mirders.

No one could frame someone better than the person who committed the murders.

No one benefits from knowledge and expertise of these types of murders than a criminology PhD students who is striving to achieve the level of respect and admiration as his former professor. After years of bullying and lack of confidence.

Committing these murders and eventually working himself into the research of them could fast track his career goals. Help him achieve the respect and admiration he so badly desires.

Maybe after committing the murders he realized he forgot some important factors with his mistakes which led to his ultimate capture. But also made it impossible for him to insert himself in the case and research it to become the local case criminologist expert….

I know it sounds far fetched… but when trying to consider a reason for motive that could benefit him in any way… (leaving out the possibility he did it purely because he lacks a conscience and had a desire to kill for no reason, which is still highly possible)…

But something about him… tells me he did this for a reason.

Most murders do not start off with a quadruple homicide. Mass murderers wanting recognition yes.

So why wouldn’t he start off with just one person? If indeed he did it with just a desire to kill based off his obsession turned desire for murder?

For me there has to be something to the fact he started off with such a large scale brutal murder. (My feelings will change significantly if we learn this wasn’t his first time killing someone) but for now… with only knowledge of these being his first time killing… I cannot help to wonder why? Why so many people at once?

It will be interesting to find out what that reason was.

Please share your thoughts. Am I overthinking it, reaching too hard?

My belief is that he was obsessed with the killing. The thoughts of doing it consumed him. I am wondering if his DeSales professor didn’t hook him up with BTK and that in some way started escalating his thoughts. I do believe one of the girls rebuffed him in some way which started the stalking which was why Kaylee always had people with her. Walking behind her, etc…. He followed them. Watched them at night. And all of a sudden he knew he had to do it. I don’t think it was supposed to be all 4. I also don’t think it was completely planned out. I think he was not surprised that he was not caught right away-but I also don’t think he thought about the long haul. Like what happens NOW? Would he be on the run forever always watching his back? He would have killed again. Same pattern. Same reasons. MOO.

He was reportedly very large in high school, and tall. JMO, but the bigger kids aren't normally the ones getting bullied. It's just a quirk of mine, I know, I just hate to see a "he was bullied" theme taking form . According to the brewery in his area he was bullying girls, that word wasn't used, but he was acting inappropriately towards women and the owner told him to cut it out if he wanted to come there again. He chose to never go there again, instead of correcting his behavior. Also in that video I posted here yesterday, the law student claims that half of the class that BCK TA'd complained about unfair grading, and many complained about nasty notes he would write on their papers. That is bullying, imo. Picking on students who can't fight back for fear of reprisal against them.

The class professor had the TA BCK and the class openly discuss the students' gripes.

Then, after the confrontations in class, and apparently after murders BCK basically quit grading papers instead giving everyone 100, with no scathing notes attached. Is that the course a mature PhD student would be expected to take, ie giving everyone 100's, or is that a tit for tat snit fit response.

Maybe someone from his background is claiming bullying occurred, I haven't seen those reports. From what I've seen, he is the bully, in the brewery and in his academic setting.

Imo
Having personally known some tall people it appears that being tall or bigger will not avoid being the target of bullies because bullies often look for anything that appears different from the majority in order to justify their actions.I don't think that the defence lawyer(s) could even consider anything in his past as relevant. I'm confident that once all of the evidence presented in the court by the prosecution reflects a reasonably solid case any of these side discussions may end.

As I stated before it's possible Kohberger studied and was fixated on BTK. (And, also... as I said previously Kohberger did not commit SA and could have left semen at the scene of the murders like Rader... but that seems doubtful). Heck, I'm still not convinced "heroin" was his drug-struggle back in high school. There have been so many talking heads surrounding this case, I'm a full-on skeptic (regarding his history) without proof. That's just me and I could be wrong ;)

Gotcha. Not only a valid stance to take, IMO, but also a necessary one for some of us to take. In the days before his arrest, I had three main types of theories I was juggling and now have new theories about what will happen in this case.

I am fairly convinced by the high school companions (two of them) who have talked and been quoted by MSM as mentioning a serious problem with heroin. It fits with other things about his background, but it also fits with statistics about heroin use in our nation - it's more of a problem in high school kids in PA than I had realized. Where I live, it's mostly meth for high school students (and cannabis/alcohol).

We may never get any proof about his life history. Most of it won't be relevant at trial. So you may remain agnostic, which is an honorable thing to do. I think this guy will write his own story - but that won't be "proof" for me. I don't usually look for "proof," I am more about finding the best hypotheses (ones that may not have perfect proof, but have never been disproven.)

A never disproven statement is a fact, in my world, or at least the closest thing to it.

Every human child has two and only two biologic parents, things of that sort. That's never been disproved and is, IMO, a fact.

Do I know for a fact that BK's parents are his bio parents? Nope, I do not. But they are some kind of parent to him, as I also think it's a fact that all small children must have someone to raise them, and it seems they raised him and a sibling (according to MSM). I believe all of that. In my mind, it is a fact that BK's dad drove with him across the country, etc. If it's disproven, I'll revise.

As I stated before it's possible Kohberger studied and was fixated on BTK. (And, also... as I said previously Kohberger did not commit SA and could have left semen at the scene of the murders like Rader... but that seems doubtful). Heck, I'm still not convinced "heroin" was his drug-struggle back in high school. There have been so many talking heads surrounding this case, I'm a full-on skeptic (regarding his history) without proof. That's just me and I could be wrong ;)
With you on that.

CSIDreamer

Well I appreciate it but you're stating things in a very definitive manner as though you're verified. I dont see where you are. We need links per TOS. Thank you.

I'm not sure how deep of a dive we can do into this considering Federal jurisdiction is pretty limited. These are generally the criteria for Federal jurisdiction in criminal matters.

• the crime occurred on land owned or controlled by the federal government (such as national parks and military bases)
  • the offense took place on a ship flying the American flag, even if it occurred in foreign waters, and
  • the crime crossed state lines or involved interstate commerce (for example, kidnapping or drug trafficking).

In this case some are insinuating the crime crossed state lines when it did not. The crime was over the moment he left the scene. When you speak in terms of crossing state lines it means the crime is still in progress such as a kidnapping or trafficking drugs, not that the offender simply crossed a state line after the fact.

TITLE 18
CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
CHAPTER 14
BURGLARY
18-1401. BURGLARY DEFINED. Every person who enters any house, room, apartment, tenement, store, shop, warehouse, mill, barn, stable, outhouse, or a building, tent, vessel, vehicle, trailer, airplane, or railroad car with intent to commit any theft or any felony is guilty of burglary.
History:
[18-1401, added 1972, ch. 336, sec. 1, p. 871; am. 1981, ch. 183, sec. 3, p. 326; am. 1997, ch. 87, sec. 1, p. 213; am. 2020, ch. 219, sec. 1, p. 651; am. 2021, ch. 185, sec. 1, p. 508.]

It's about the kind of injuries. If someone gets a deep cut and the skin is pulled together, even with only a bandaid or using second skin, it heals very quickly. A scratch? it would depend on how wide the cut was. Things that take a long time to heal are wide wounds, since it needs to granulate and fill back in.
I agree. And as you have pointed out, even with a butterfly type bandage or dressing applied daily and a routine of cleansing and protecting a wound was followed to a “T”… it all depends on the nature, size, and severity of said wound (when it comes to the healing process). All this will be revealed over the weeks and months of the forthcoming trial. I can’t wait for that clarity. JMOO
MOO

Honestly, I don’t think there was any thought process about crossing a state line to commit these horrendous murders.

I believe this was an extremely personal murder either directed at one or two particular people or…at the inhabitants in the house or what the house represented as a whole.

If he wanted to kill just for the sake of killing, I’m sure there were many opportunities available to him in Pullman.

IMO something important (to him) drew him to that particular house and victims.

Only time will tell.
TIME…the great equalizer.

Kohberger was nabbed after authorities matched DNA from the crime scene to a sample submitted by one of his immediate family members to a genealogy testing website, a law enforcement source told Fox News.

wow

so he forgot to ask his immediate family members whether they'd submitted their DNA?

Last edited:
Fascinating. I’m speculating, repeat, totally speculating, that the court order to halt the cleanup of the murder house was due to a defense request. Which would mean that BK had someone lined up immediately to handle his case. Which would mean he anticipated that he may be arrested.

But, that would mean he’d have had to have his dad or someone obtain an Idaho attorney immediately upon being arrested or prior.

Is that even possible?

I think he had a bone to pick, but not with any of the women specifically. I think he did what he did because they just were who they were
I could see that but I have a suspicion that he had come across them before. Even if it wasn’t deeply personal this wasn’t his first time interacting with the girls, or at least one of them.

Wait, do people not like catching criminals using DNA?
Why such a commotion about searching and matching DNA to solve crimes
Grateful for the technology avail to LE today, but don’t think it’s a stretch to expect LE to attain a warrant to search/access dna databases. I value my personal protections & don’t care to just hand them over, personally.

in what way? seeing him or the way he looks?
It’s funny because he looks exactly how i expected he’d look tall lean but fit. Not a high bmi (low fat diet) but not emaciated- how a healthy 28 year old should look. You could tell by the muscles in his face that he had muscles but low fat but wasn’t emaciated.

Does he have an attorney aside from the Monroe County defender?

From the article in your post:

//The Idaho lawyer who is representing the accused mass murderer hasn't been publicly identified.//

Which is interesting. Probably doesn't want death threats just yet. Eventually, this case will get more back burnered by MSM. That attorney will have to appear at the arraignment, guess he wants to delay being known (or find someone else to take his place!!)

A couple of posters noted earlier about PA LE press conference later today. Providing link for additional options.

There’s increased security at the Monroe County Courthouse for the extradition hearing of Bryan Kohberger. The Idaho killings suspect was brought inside this morning. Roads are blocked off & manned by PSP & local police. Stroudsburg is packed with media from across the country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther