ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
The realtor photos show no carpeting, at least in the pictures that I have seen so was the attacker that quiet or was carpeting put in at sometime? and just looking at the floorplans, if that person did not know the layout, wouldn’t they had to have spent a certain amount of time on each floor scoping out things?

Does anyone know of any online sources for unsolved homicide data, preferably broken down by state, that is already in tabular form or a spreadsheet? Data that is kept current would be great. I think it would be interesting to plug such data into ArcPro and see what, if any spatial correlations there might be.
Here’s one that’s available to the public. Not sure if you can export to spreadsheet. I’ll look at my old databases from college to see if they are still around and in current form.

Thinking out loud here...if indeed this was a "targeted" attack as LE has indicated, it would imply then there was some planning on the part of the suspect/s. They brought a weapon, believed to be a large assault type knife to carry out the attack and knew at least one of the "targeted" victims was home.

My question, how did they know they would be able to gain access into the home that night? It's been reported the glass slider off the kitchen was the entry point, but would the suspect/s know it was unlocked? Did they have the front door code if a slider and/or window wasn't open? Did they plan to break-in, possibly causing a noise / disturbance that may awaken the victims / residents inside?

I wonder that too. Did he hide inside? It was a big house. Or perhaps did he plant a camera at a pre break in or use night vision? The timeline as it exists seems really tight. How would he know that some or all of the 4 weren't just on their phone in bed scrolling instagram with the lights off totally ready to scream if someone came in? And if the ex boyfriend had answered their calls would they have been talking to him at about that time? It seems like it was such a chance to go in there without some certainty.
The only thing I can think of regarding the risk is that he either knew they would be asleep or knew that he could handle whatever circumstance arose. The latter is why I'm led to believe that this is someone who knows how to kill people.

Well in these case the students were apparently sleeping when each was attacked, and some were drunk. So I don't think the gun was necessary.
I agree. The killer either thought he could kill silently (he did) or didn't know there were two more women on the first floor. I think he watched from the wooded area which would give him view of only the second and third floors. He could see when they came home (lights on) and when the lights went off, and maybe the fact that four of the five girls look a lot alike confused him. I'm thinking thrill killer more than I did when it first happened.

Is it possible to break one of these style knives? Could the killer have chipped the tip on the last victim sparing the final roommates?
That would be very, very difficult unless it was a knockoff made of cheap materials. They said a K-Bar style knife was used - not that it was that actual brand. This is an important piece of information because the difference between an actual K-Bar knife and one that is ‘like’ it could be a world of difference.

An incredible amount of force in tandem with stabbing very hard material over and over would be the only way I could see a knife like this breaking. Or if it was very, very old. MOO

OMG I go to dinner last night and then spend all day prepping for thanksgiving today and come back to thread 11 (last I checked we were on thread 8 ugh). Anything significant that I may have missed? I literally cannot believe there is no arrest…..

Here’s one that’s available to the public. Not sure if you can export to spreadsheet. I’ll look at my old databases from college to see if they are still around and in current form.

This is great, thank you. I may have to make a spreadsheet but this database will make it much easier. These folks might even send me a spreadheet if I reach out.

Just a complete off the wall comment, but maybe they have a pretty good idea of who did it and they're just compiling all of their evidence right now and waiting on all lab results to come back. This probably isn't correct, but just spit-balling her
@pumpfe I got the same sense from the PC. I went back to the NYtimes article (which does have paywall unfortunately) and it's updated this evening but continues to say re. investigators, "They have, however, preliminarily ruled out several people," They seem to have had an interview with the Latah county coroner, who wouldn't have given them un-publicized information, but it's impressive they got that interview. So I'm paying close attention to what they're reporting.
We're not allowed to create our own POI's - for good reason - but some posters are adamant that that X and E at the Sigma Chi party may have relevance and now I'm wondering about that. IMO K being back in Moscow for the brief visit plays a role but maybe coincidentally. Perhaps LE is looking at / tracking another connection.

Hi fellow sleuths, I hope I am wrong in this thought, but I do not think the cops know who did this and need a break in this case bad. Maybe DNA will come through. I do believe the person who did this has some connection to the school in some way, though I don't think they have a strong connection to the roommates. The fact that the killer used a knife means he had to get close to each victim. I wonder why the killer did not use a gun and chose a knife instead. was it a spur-of-the-moment killing and had no gun?

I haven’t been following the thread, which I know is bad form when commenting. I’m just starting in- Apologies if someone’s already posited or posed these thoughts/questions

LE says killer may have been familiar with the house layout. I agree. Do we know the address? Being a rental in a college area I wonder who else may have lived in this house previously. Since this crime (and the fact that no one’s identified or apprehended) leads me
To believe it’s the act of someone a little older than college age-

Why did the killer stop short of killing the other people sleeping in the house? And who was killed last? Was it a targeted killing and they got to that person? Or were they scared off by a noise or disturbance?

They seem to have been watching these kids. If everyone had been drinking it would better ensure people would sleep through this disturbance. Maybe that’s why they chose this time.

The only thing I can think of regarding the risk is that he either knew they would be asleep or knew that he could handle whatever circumstance arose. The latter is why I'm led to believe that this is someone who knows how to kill people.
I agree. Killer(s) really had no way of knowing 100% if they were actually asleep, scrolling on phones or lying awake but with their eyes closed. S/he was willing to accept the risk of being caught or someone fighting back in order to complete the kills.

Unfortunately I’m guessing LEO know very little and are stumped. I know some people have high hopes that LEO is tight lipped because they might have a POI…but based off previous cases I have followed I disagree. Occam’s razor…the simplest answer is the right one and it’s apparent LEO are stumped.

With regards to the house schematics that were in thread # 10, it says “blood stains” on the right side (near the rear) of the house. This refers to the blood drippings on the outside of the house, right? That is one of the most disturbing things I’ve ever seen. This area looks like it would be under Kaylee’s room. Does this seem correct?

IMO, witness Vidot looking for his 15 mins and DM gave him a platform. He lost all credibility when he alleged the victims left without paying (while accusing the girls of hounding others waiting for their orders). He states he arrived before the victims where both the initial video of the grub truck as well as the full version clearly shows customers pay when they order. :rolleyes:

11/22/22

Police had previously said that the women were partying at the Corner Club bar the night before the attack.

Vidot was also there and said that the women were catching the attention of many of the men at the bar.

[..]

He said he left the Corner Club ahead of the girls and was with a neighbor who had just moved to Moscow, showing her the Grub Bus, a food truck popular with student with the late-night munchies.

[..]

'I was making fun of one of the guys who showed up at the Grub Bus in short-shorts and a tank top and it was cold,' Vidot said. 'I said 'Relax, bro, some of us are single' That made everybody laugh and then he made a joke.'

He said people were just talking and chatting, waiting for their food orders.

Kaylee and Madison were hanging around the truck window, hounding people who were picking up their orders.

[..]

The Grub Bus cashier had mercy on the two women and handed them food and they took it and ran to the car.

'I said to the guy, 'Did you just give those girls food (without them paying)?' He was like yeah, they had to go home.'

With regards to the house schematics that were in thread # 10, it says “blood stains” on the right side (near the rear) of the house. This refers to the blood drippings on the outside of the house, right? That is one of the most disturbing things I’ve ever seen. This area looks like it would be under Kaylee’s room. Does this seem correct?
Has it been confirmed to be blood?

Well, After Hearing part of todays press conference I still Think It Has something to do with the girls The restaurant And A spurned customer But Am just not As sure as I Was before, One Thing Though, LE said they Haven’t been able To corroborate That K Had A stalker, I think That statement Was deliberately misleading, Meant for The stalker himself… Think about It. you wouldn’t come out and say Yes she Had A stalker And we’re on It.. You Want whoever did this feeling confident He got away with It, While you Gather enough evidence, There’s A lot They’re not telling us For Good reason, I bet after school resumes next week An arrest will be made based on forensics , That’s all they’re waiting on I’m sure…

Killer left house when it was dark before the sun rose. The only visible evidence would be footprints with blood on the porch. And hand prints Maybe the killer didn't have blood on their shoes? Killer could have wiped blood from hands and shoes inside the house. (Just grab a towel) If perp lives alone, who would notice? If perp has roommates, they may have been asleep...
LE said the driveway was gravel, so no tire tracks or foot prints, but blood trail as they walked away is possible. Your post made me start wondering. Did they have "tracking dogs" there at the scene the first day of the investigation? Or after? I think it's possible, for anything is possible, that this person could've walked home after the murders. I doubt they parked nearby. So, I wonder if they used tracking dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74