ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do believe this was an unfortunate chance encounter with a serial killer. They didnt know this person. Murder was the point of this and he was successful. They had no idea this could happen.

The profiler above has said everything I have been thinking.

Why does the PD seem certain the murders happened between 3 and 4 am?

They’ve said this even before the autopsies, which can determine time of death. They’ve never said why or how they settled on this time. The victims got home at 2 am and were discovered around noon. That’s a long period to have narrowed down to just one hour, specifically between 3 and 4.

Last edited:
I don’t think it was a rage killing for a few reasons: why 4? What motive could there possibly be to kill 4 people? Drugs? money? Revenge? 4 people successfully murdered and no arrests at this point (though I agree it’s early but these early days are so important to solving crimes). Also, why kill 3 defenseless women If say Ethan was the target?

I just don’t see it.

I, too, see this as a RAGE killing. But, didn't LE allude that this may have been a crime of passion killing. But, aren't the two the same thing? They kind of go hand in hand.

Sort of like Jodi Arias..her raging/CofP killing of Travis.

How do you distinguish between the 2 in a case like t

Maybe they did. If I couldn't rouse any of my upper floor roommates and they were all behind locked doors, my first thought would likely be carbon monoxide, not mass murder.
I see what you are saying. However, all the doors were locked? You would then call friends first?

Does anyone find it odd that the surviving roommates have not spoken with the families of the victims?
I do find it odd, my only thought is that at least one of them has a fair amount of very relevant information that is pertinent to the case but LE don’t want it publicly known. I have suspected that at least one roommate actually heard something happen and was scared for her life and possibly wasn’t able to reach out for help. Maybe one of the surviving roommates passed out in fear and that’s why the 911 call says “unconscious individual”? Quite possible and why LE initially were so confident they would be able to find the suspect but as time has gone on they haven’t gotten as much physical evidence connected to the suspect as they would’ve thought.

I don’t. As a parent to kids about the same ages, I wouldn’t want them talking to anyone but me, LE, a therapist and a lawyer.
I do suppose I would hire an attorney to handle the press requests. I would tell my kids to do whatever the attorney said to do, which would likely be to only speak to the police and a therapist right now and there will be a time at a later date where everyone can get together and speak to each other.

I, too, see this as a RAGE killing. But, didn't LE allude that this may have been a crime of passion killing. But, aren't the two the same thing? They kind of go hand in hand.

Sort of like Jodi Arias..her raging/CofP killing of Travis.

How do you distinguish between the 2 in a case like this?
Legally “crime of passion” is an affirmative defense to charges of intentional premeditated murder. The defense is that the person was so enraged/upset that they immediately killed another person without thinking and the murder wasn’t planned. Each state has their own version but the original cases were where someone walked in on their spouse in bed with another person and just immediately attacked one of the people. The defense is that they were blinded by rage and flew into attack in the heat of passion and did not have time to think or stop themselves.

If there’s any time to think or deliberate (and therefore stop oneself), the defense fails. So here, there was time between each murder where the killer could have said “hmm maybe I don’t do this one” and leave which mostly kills the defense. If there’s time to deliberate and form an intent, it’s not applicable. JMO

Sorry if it’s been asked but has that picture of the “blood” dripping down the outside exterior wall been debunked?

No. Quite the contrary. The coroner said things that support the concept of it being blood, and the plausible-sounding heating oil explanation has been thoroughly debunked.

However, it doesn’t matter too much. All it would indicate is that it was a horrific crime scene, and we already knew that. (Might indicate where one murder took place, but that’s none of our business, of course.)

All this MOO

I don’t think it was a rage killing for a few reasons: why 4? What motive could there possibly be to kill 4 people? Drugs? money? Revenge? 4 people successfully murdered and no arrests at this point (though I agree it’s early but these early days are so important to solving crimes). Also, why kill 3 defenseless women If say Ethan was the target?

I just don’t see it.
I could see it as narcissistic rage, a blow to the fragile ego of a psychopath, rejection of an advance, or someone who looks like someone who rejected or mistreated him in the past. Psychopaths are not always calm, cool and collected

This is much ado about nothing, two attractive college girls getting drunk at a bar on a Saturday night and are frequently hit on is nothing out of the norm. Big stretch to something at the bar leading to a quadruple homicide.
I respectfully , imho, disagree. (Source book:Jeanne Toomey Assignment Homicide) My mother was a homicide reporter married into a family of NYPD multiple detectives including homicide. There is a type of killer who hunts specific vulnerable victims….late at night, usually alone, drunk, and beautiful, catches his eye. This type usually subscribes to p@#n if not addict. The oddity here is the number of people in the house. That makes me think he did not follow them home, that he stalked the house looking in windows and didn’t know about the girls in the basement. But beautiful young girls drunk late at night? Not a rare target unfortunately. In no way does this make the victims even the tiniest bit at fault. They took a ride home. They were not alone. They did everything right.

I just don’t see it.
When one says this isn't a rage killing, I am not sure what that means. I think a knife was used because it was quiet. But, also because I believe the killer wanted his victims to know they were being murdered, and it was very personal. It is almost like a serial killer but not a serial killer. To murder four people this way takes a lot of anger. Another reason to kill people in this manner is to send a message. But that also emanates from anger or retribution.

When one says this isn't a rage killing, I am not sure what that means. I think a knife was used because it was quiet. But, also because I believe the killer wanted his victims to know they were being murdered, and it was very personal. It is almost like a serial killer but not a serial killer. To murder four people this way takes a lot of anger. Another reason to kill people in this manner is to send a message. But that also emanates from anger or retribution.
Right, I mean it’s not like it’s a drug turf war or a mob hit.

OK..You can see them from this view on Google Street View. I'm just saying when someone is using Google to decide whether to "break into a home" or "be a peeping tom" etc, it's hard to see the balconies/screendoor from Google. (Hence it would be a pass) So the perp must have been local and familiar with the house in person/real life.

I'm always checking out things in Google maps...
Whether the person was local or not, it seems clear that the perp was drawn to the house by some connection, whether knowing one of the girls, seeing them that night, or just passing by the back of the house and realizing that you could easily scope out the house and enter it from the back with very little chance of being seen.

I'm amazed and saddened that there's no security camera for the parking lot for the apartment house next to the lane behind the house on other side of the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74