ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it's up in the air:
A federal appeals court has ruled on July 13, 2021, that the existing minimum age requirement (21 years old) for purchases from federally licensed gun dealers restricts the rights of law-abiding citizens and draws an arbitrary, unjustified line.The decision, which probably will be appealed to the full court, finds that 18-year-olds possess a Second Amendment right to gun ownership.The ruling does not mean that 18-to-20-year-olds can immediately buy handguns from federal dealers. The court’s order sends the case back to District Court in Charlottesville and gives the government an opportunity to ask the full 4th Circuit to rehear the case.
Minimum Age for Sales and Transfers of Handguns

1122 King Road; How Sound Travels?

Posting for those catching up.

Idaho murders: Former first floor tenant of Moscow home says he couldn't hear activity from other floors

A former tenant of the Moscow, Idaho, home where four University of Idaho students were murdered on Nov. 13 says it was difficult to hear activity on the second and third floors of the home from the first, where he lived.

Ryan Augusta — a healthcare worker and local business owner who now lives in Genesee, Idaho — told Fox News Digital in an interview that when he lived on the first floor of the home on King Road in 2019, unless his roommate was playing the television loudly on the second floor, he typically "heard nothing" from the second and third floors.

"I wouldn't have heard it from downstairs," Augusta, 43, said when asked whether he could hear activity coming from the second and third floors of the house when he lived on the first floor.

@The Observer Thanks for your post quoting the former tenant, saying (basically) while living on the first floor, he did not hear much sound from floors above.

OTOH, I wonder if the others living there back then may have led quieter lives, perhaps had quieter guests, no-or-lower key parties than the victims who lived there until last month. Like proverbial monks or librarians.

Not saying that the surviving housemates should have heard any noises. Many possible reasons (white noise generators, fans, radios, ipods, TVs, furnaces, benadryl/sleep aids, alcohol, etc) may have masked noise or activities that they would otherwise have been aware of.
Just thinking aloud.

Correct....18 - 21 is not a minor.....not that it matters. Off topic and minutia. It's not like a killer is concerned with firearm possession laws.

Although every law has exceptions: Exceptions to these general prohibitions are listed in Idaho Code § 18-3302F, including participating in a class or competition, on private property, or lawfully engaged in hunting.

Edit: Typo....minutia...man I botched that initially.

Ok the biggest news to come from Banfield’s interview with Xana’s mom is that Xana did have a lock on her bedroom door and that Xana’s dad had just replaced it with a new lock exactly one week before the murders.

I need to know WHY that lock was changed!!

Xana’s mom also said she thinks the kids were targeted. She thinks it was someone who knew them, maybe even a friend.

Wow.

Last edited:
I've just come across a story from Massachusetts, where a young man is being sought in the murder of an elderly couple, who were "bludgeoned and stabbed to death" according to Plymouth County District Attorney Tim Cruz. I'm not in any way suggesting there is a tie-in to this case; but apparently a catalyst for this terrible crime had to do with a barking dog... just sharing because in all of the theorizing here, well, yes, someone might just "lose it" over something so seemingly trivial. MOO
He was living with them and on a lot of drugs.

You must be 21 to possess a handgun? Or is it to purchase a handgun?
Idaho, like most states is 18

Subsection 3 of Idaho statute 18-3302 explains that Idaho is an open carry state, so people 18 and older can carry weapons without a license, open or concealed, as long as they're not banned from having a gun

There wasn't a sixth roommate at the time of the murders. There was a sixth person on the lease.
I posed the question on 11/25 regarding when and why did the 6th roommate move out. It is relevant because that person would likely have the codes to the locks.

Do you mean the arrangement of not locking the front door but having locks on the individual doors?
I’m sure it’s just me & we know nothing about how the housemates lived in their home, but the apparent presence of code bedroom locks is making it difficult for me to breathe. My experience with them is very limited, but the active default locking function can be discretely disabled, at least on some models.

Since my speculation is the mass murderer laid in wait in the house, my speculation is perhaps he also disabled the locking mechanisms on the bedroom doors so that locked bedroom doors wouldn’t interfere with his stealth slaughter.

EBM to add MOO

Last edited:
From Moscow Poloce:
We remain consistent in our belief that this was a targeted attack, but investigators have not concluded if the target was the residence or if it was the occupants."

I hadn’t thought of this angle, that the residence could have been a target. Is it plausible that someone would target the residence simply to make a statement? Sort of like they are sick of all the partying, in general, so don’t think about moving in here because it is not safe. If that is the case, then I would say that is not an isolated attack because someone sick of the partying could strike just down the road. Certainly this is not the only party house.

So why else could the residence been the target?

Seems like most of us on this board would have come to those same conclusions. The possibility of life stressors was something I'd not thought of, and that could very well help bring in tips. The others? All obvious.

I disagree with the killer not being a monster, but I understand what Mr. Clemente is getting at - don't discard a potential suspect purely because they don't seem outwardly evil.

ETA: By obvious, I do not mean all of those traits are definitively true, only that they are likely. Same as the profiler.
I’ve heard him talk about this several times in the past while discussing other cases. For example, here’s what he said about the killer in the Delphi case back in 2019 on Episode 123 of the podcast Best Case Worst Case Scenario:

You can’t put everybody into a little pigeonhole, okay? Just because he did this one thing doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a family, he doesn’t have friends, he doesn’t have a job, he doesn’t have somebody that loves him or that he loves.

O’Connell
Or gives money to charity

Clemente
Yeah, he could do ALL these things and still be the person that killed these little girls. And it’s probably very inconsistent with how people around him see him, and so it’s really important that people understand that the guy they’re looking for is NOT a monster predator. That is a label that makes you look right past this guy because you would never see him as that.

And what significance does the information really have?
Exactly

• Detectives are aware of a sixth person listed on the lease at the residence. They have spoken to this individual and confirmed they moved out prior to the start of the school year and was not present at the time of the incident. Detectives do not believe this person has any involvement in the murders.

There was a time in my own life (not that long ago) where I would have say, "Nah, people don't choose houses just because they can see inside." I would have contended that it was rare. After many, many policemen told me I was wrong (I was teaching at police academy and then worked as a consultant with police), I rethought my position.

If people can get a sense of when a house has bedded down and everyone is likely asleep (and the dog contained), it gives them a way of planning a criminal entry.

I should also mention that my mother, father, husband and sons-in-law all had the same idea (that we should have blinds and curtains and use them).

But I used to be very casual about all of this. Then one day, I realized a neighbor with a two story house had a camera aimed into our sunroom (not our actual kitchen, but still). I was very angry. And, the police said there was nothing I could do but erect a screen along our fenceline to obstruct the angle of the view. So that's what we did. Same neighbor has a camera aimed onto our driveway as I type - and that same neighbor figured out when we were gone from home and stole things from our mailbox and our back yard (as well as the back yard and mail box of two other neighbors). Long story. But yeah, get window coverings. Use something at hand if necessary.

For a sexual sadist or sexually motivated perp, young women inside uncurtained windows is an age-old lure. Yes, those men are defective or whatever, but they are out there. And they can become opportunistic voyeurs, and then...attackers.
There is a lot you can learn about the occupants of a house by watching a house at night. Just by watching the lights go on and off you can tell when the bathroom is being used. When they eat. Watch TV. When they leave, come home. When they go to bed. It is rather creepy. Imo.

Anyone else listening to NewsNation....Banfield is totally taking advantage of X's mom who is grieving and apparently doesnt seem to know much about her own daughter...didnt even know what kind of car her daughter drives.
Who fired her again?

It may be the private security company has a contract with the state, where they take over the physical security of a crime scene to relieve government personnel from static security duty? Having sworn law enforcement doing static security work means they cannot do other duties at the same time.
@mrtnira Thanks for hour post.
Certainly a possibility. I believe someone posted that officials had arranged for a private security service at 1122 King.
Makes sense to free up sworn LE to return to duty,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members