ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
The surveillance footage placed on top of his six-unit rental building on Linda Lane showed a white car speeding west on Taylor Road between 2.14am and 3.15am on Sunday.

Why such a wide time frame if security video is available? Isn't the time a little too early for the perp to be leaving the scene? Weren't K and M texting JD almost until 3am?
As with the gas station video, we don't know if the clock is set at PDT or PST. Imo.

If this car seen is the suspect, it seems like they had one goal in mind. Something that I keep thinking about is how they knew for sure everyone was home and sleeping at that time and didn’t have more people over for an after party? I don’t think it would be unusual for any 4 of them to be out partying until later than the timeframe of the car seen at 3:15 and I don’t think it would be unusual for more people to be at the house after the bar and party at the frat. How did the killer know when to strike to be able to find them in their beds asleep and (in my opinion) be in and out of there quickly?
All MOO
The killer was a neighbor IMO

I always just say "communicated" because I haven't found a clear answer to this. Here's a link:

and the quote from him is ""I heard from her I think before we went out," Kernodle told 3 TV/ CBS 5. "I think midnight was the last time we heard from her and she was fine."
"Heard from her" probably indicates text; "talked to her" would indicate calls.

I get a weird vibe from this interview… not sure if it’s just this guy trying to get his 15 minutes or what. Seems strange that the girls would bring a stalker issue up to this essential stranger and odd that he brings up the Corner Club where it’s widely known they were that night. Anyone else?
Absolutely, he is peppy and chatty, giving off the wrong vibe. Even though he was an acquaintance, it is still tone deaf to speak with so much enthusiasm about people later brutally murdered. Bad vibe.
Link to those interested.

Based on the search for a late model Elantra, I wonder if the authorities could tap into vehicle satellite technology and contact all of the major mobile satellite service providers (Sirius XM, OnStar, GPS, Etc.) and narrow down the vehicles that match that automobile type and we're in the area at the time of the murders?
Hyundai uses Blue Link which started on the Veloster in 2012. Doubtful the 2011-13 Elantra models had a gps system before then. So, good choice for a vehicle if one is committing a crime and doesn't want to be tracked by gps.

Could have been from UberEats and delivered. If I remember correctly it had one if the victims' names written on the bag. Would they do that for drive thru food?
Jack in the Box has order pickup option available in which one orders on website and then picks up which looks like this was done, as just first name of Xana on brown bag. Jack in the Box also has delivery service but I think 1122 King Road Moscow was outside of delivery area.

Does any remember the map someone put on here with all the locations marked? I can not find it. Thank you!

"Heard from her" probably indicates text; "talked to her" would indicate calls.
I don't have too much faith either way. If it was a text or call to his cellphone, he could see the exact time. Maybe he has a landline? "I heard from her I think before we went out," Kernodle told 3 TV/ CBS 5. "I think midnight was the last time we heard from her" always struck me as weird. Seems pretty late in an area where bars close at 1 or 2.

JMO

He can burn the car but he can’t burn the truth. We’ll find him.

I would be more concerned if he borrowed the car from someone and now burned/drowned it. Is the owner then at risk, too?

If this car seen is the suspect, it seems like they had one goal in mind. Something that I keep thinking about is how they knew for sure everyone was home and sleeping at that time and didn’t have more people over for an after party? I don’t think it would be unusual for any 4 of them to be out partying until later than the timeframe of the car seen at 3:15 and I don’t think it would be unusual for more people to be at the house after the bar and party at the frat. How did the killer know when to strike to be able to find them in their beds asleep and (in my opinion) be in and out of there quickly?
All MOO
The killer may have seen both the front of the house and the back of the house

IMO no. My guess is her parents expected it to be solved in the first week or two, and possibly thought the killer was within their social circle so likely to attend. Imo the longer this goes on the less likely the killer was well known to K, therefore less likely to attend a memorial. I can also see them wanting to do something for their children and a memorial is one of their few options.
agree and if by some chance the killer does attend? Could not hurt the investigation?

All MOO
Perhaps the white car did deliver the Jack in the Box bag with Xana's name on it and the food in bag was not consumed which would be a big clue. I find it strange that the Jack in the Box bag was left on the counter with trash bins directly outside patio. Also, with food delivery, if any, I wonder if instructions are to deliver food to patio or if it's leave outside at 1st level front door.

I always just say "communicated" because I haven't found a clear answer to this. Here's a link:

and the quote from him is ""I heard from her I think before we went out," Kernodle told 3 TV/ CBS 5. "I think midnight was the last time we heard from her and she was fine."
when I read this now, it almost sounds like two different contacts- one "before we went out" and then maybe a text later about a movie. I know people were asking "whose dad goes out at midnight?" but maybe this is two separate phone events, IMO.

Why is there no surveillance of Ethan and Xana entering the house, only the girls? Maybe Ethan and Xana were killed earlier than when the girls got home
and were in bed dead behind a locked bedroom door. Even if the murders were all committed in the same timeframe, why is there no mention of seeing them enter the home? One of the keys to this situation is WHERE was the couple all evening. Did they have a bad situation earlier in the evening and were just bummed abd went home?
If they were at Sigma Chi all night, they likely would have been on foot and would have come up the little path between the apartments right in front of the house, so may not have been caught on camera. I think the ring camera is at house at the northwest corner of the 1122 driveway and points west so only would have caught activity on the street west of the house.

My suspicion is that X may have texted with M+K about meeting back up at the house and that is why LE say their arrival at home is around the same time.

MOO

Absolutely, he is peppy and chatty, giving off the wrong vibe. Even though he was an acquaintance, it is still tone deaf to speak with so much enthusiasm about people later brutally murdered. Bad vibe.
Link to those interested.

I wouldn't look at it that way. This guy is probably a hyper guy and just comes off that way. We don't know.

I’m

Along with what Pancake said about not getting too married to the movements of the white car(s)? on video, we know that LE has been working hard to maintain the integrity of the investigation, while the media continues to source info.

I’m not suggesting that LE is misleading or positioning the car as a red herring by any means, but have we hear any follow ups to their request for info? Beyond them confirming that the public has responded and send in a lot of tips- we don’t know how many Elantra drivers/owners have met with LE since they put out the first images and appeal for help on 12/7.

The Elantra has definitely given the media and the public something to chew on.

Did the 12/7 Elantra press release coincide with the nee Public Info Ofcr?

MOO and Just thinking out loud.
There are many members of the public coming out with information right now and it seems too confusing to me to even understand.
I dont think that the information about the 'white car' is a red herring. I think there are 2 possibilities-and this is just my reasoning;
1. LE is certain that the white car passed the house or went close to the house and therefore the occupant/s of the white car would have seen the perp/s leaving or entering!
2. LE is certain that the white car was driven by the perp/ a getaway driver.
Either way, the white car is important.
I recall reading in the press release something to the effect that LE was asking if anyone has a car parked in their garage and forgotten about it- so I am thinking, is it possible that the registration has expired ?
So lets say the perp ( and maybe the accomplice) knew about a 'white car' belonging to a relative/friend, a car which has been parked away in a garage and probably forgotten about, took the white car from his/her family/friend's garage without them even knowing and used it to get away from the crime scene.

Why is there no surveillance of Ethan and Xana entering the house, only the girls? Maybe Ethan and Xana were killed earlier than when the girls got home
and were in bed dead behind a locked bedroom door. Even if the murders were all committed in the same timeframe, why is there no mention of seeing them enter the home? One of the keys to this situation is WHERE was the couple all evening. Did they have a bad situation earlier in the evening and were just bummed abd went home?
RBBM I have been wondering about this myself. I thought the ring camera that caught M & K arriving home at 1:56 or thereabouts showed them walking up to the house after being dropped off. If so, why wouldn’t it also catch X and E arriving home?
Is it possible that M & K were not seen on camera going up to the house? We believe LE knows who the “private driver” was that dropped them off. They took his/her statement that he picked them up near the food truck, drove them home, dropped them off, and drove away. LE obtained video that corroborated his story. The ring footage may have caught the vehicle just around the corner coming and going, maybe at the corner of King and Queen.
If X & E walked home from Sigma Chi, they probably crossed Taylor Ave and used the stairs between the two buildings across from their house. I don’t think that would show up on that ring camera. It also wouldn’t show if anyone was with them. This still doesn’t explain the missing hours, only the possible reason why M&K were seen, but X&E were not.

RBBM I have been wondering about this myself. I thought the ring camera that caught M & K arriving home at 1:56 or thereabouts showed them walking up to the house after being dropped off. If so, why wouldn’t it also catch X and E arriving home?
Is it possible that M & K were not seen on camera going up to the house? We believe LE knows who the “private driver” was that dropped them off. They took his/her statement that he picked them up near the food truck, drove them home, dropped them off, and drove away. LE obtained video that corroborated his story. The ring footage may have caught the vehicle just around the corner coming and going, maybe at the corner of King and Queen.
If X & E walked home from Sigma Chi, they probably crossed Taylor Ave and used the stairs between the two buildings across from their house. I don’t think that would show up on that ring camera. It also wouldn’t show if anyone was with them. This still doesn’t explain the missing hours, only the possible reason why M&K were seen, but X&E were not.
I think this is the explanation for all of those questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member