ID ID - Connie Johnson (still missing), 76, & dog, Ace (found safe), Fog Mountain, 2 Oct 2018

So, Ms. Johnson arrived at the camp before others? And when they arrived, she was nowhere to be found?
Where was her car? How did she get there? Is there evidence that she had actually been there?
Does the area have cell service?
Wonder if her dog ran off and she went looking for him?

still missing. 76 year old Connie Johnson from Nezperce was reported missing up the Selway in the Fog Mountain area near Big Rock. Johnson was at hunting camp, where she was the camp cook. Last communication with her was on Tuesday. When other members of her party arrived Friday, they were unable to locate her or her dog, Ace. The area was searched by Richey Outfitters and no tracks were found.

Idaho County Sheriff's Office: 3 People Reported Missing over Weekend
I was just thinking that if it was a camp there would be tracks somewhere. At least giving them a direction to head in. But, nothing? Or, was everything washed away by weather or when the group came onto the site?

Last edited:
So, Ms. Johnson arrived at the camp before others? And when they arrived, she was nowhere to be found?
Where was her car? How did she get there? Is there evidence that she had actually been there?
Does the area have cell service?
Wonder if her dog ran off and she went looking for him?
From the outfitters that looked for her - they have some updates on the right sidebar of their webpage. They stated she was heard from on radio on Wednesday, then there was really bad weather. Likely any tracks were washed away. They have a helicopter lined up to search. It looks like the camp is one you have to pack into with horses so I don't know if she would have had a vehicle. I agree with you, I think the dog may have chased a rabbit or such into the woods and she fell or had a medical issue while going to bring him back. Richie Outfitters – Idaho Hunting

I would think most dogs would return home if possible, but I'm no expert. What does everyone think? What are some possible scenarios where the dog wouldn't be able to or maybe even try to find his way back home? I'll start.
1) If she had a vehicle, they may both have been involved in a submerged vehicle accident.
2) Harm by someone else, with that person keeping or harming the dog.
3) Connie got lost and injured and the dog has stayed behind with her - although I would think by now he would have abandoned her :-(
4) ???

Last edited:
From the outfitters that looked for her - they have some updates on the right sidebar of their webpage. They stated she was heard from on radio on Wednesday, then there was really bad weather. Likely any tracks were washed away. They have a helicopter lined up to search. It looks like the camp is one you have to pack into with horses so I don't know if she would have had a vehicle. I agree with you, I think the dog may have chased a rabbit or such into the woods and she fell or had a medical issue while going to bring him back. Richie Outfitters – Idaho Hunting

rbbm

My spouse and I used to take yearly two-week long horseback trips into Wyoming wilderness areas, almost always with other people. And we only took dogs with us that would obey, otherwise we'd be asking for trouble. Without someone telling us if Ace was young and inexperienced in the back country, I'm assuming Connie took a dog who would be a help to her, not a hindrance.

My heart aches for Connie, Ace, and her family and friends. I, too, love being in the mountains, away from civilization and all that entails. When it was said the back country was her second home, I understand. The beauty, the nature, of the wilderness is breathtaking. However, anyone, at any age, can have a medical emergency, and Connie's age may have played a part, no matter how physically fit she may have been.

When you are in the back country, you are at the mercy of your surroundings, of the weather, of your horses, your gear, of so many variables. It is what it is. But if Connie has been a camp cook for many years, then she very well knew the routine of how to keep herself, and others, safe. Which is why I feel something quite out of the ordinary (ordinary for a wilderness hunting camp) happened to her in that extraordinary place.

Ace looks just like our old English Springer Spanial. They are very loyal and loving. While we don't hunt, these dogs are great for hunting and are curious of their surroundings. The more woods to explore, they happier they are. Some even love the water. So, I can picture a scenario of the dog seeing something that caught it's eye- a rabbit, bird, cat, etc, and it might have bolted and she went looking for him. I was hoping she would be found by now along with her dog. Too much time has passed for her to be ok.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back