ID - Doomsday Cult Victims - Joshua Vallow, Tylee Ryan, Tammy Daybell, Charles Vallow *Arrests* #72

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think its meaningless at all. Jurors want direct evidence, and this can be seen as direct evidence even if explained away by the defense. IMO

Maybe it's just meaningless to me because my hair falls out like crazy depending on the season and how good I'm doing with my eating and vitamin taking.

Summary of tweets for Monday, May 1st - Day 14

State witness: Keeley Coleman is a senior DNA analyst at Bode Technology in Virginia.

Nate Eaton
@NateNewsNow
·
30m
It's Monday and we are back at the Ada County Courthouse for week five of Lori Vallow Daybell's murder trial. We expect to have more witnesses called by prosecutors today.

Lori Daybell has just entered the courtroom. She is wearing a maroon top with a black jacket and black dress pants. She is chatting and laughing with her attorneys. The prosecutors and defense attorneys are sitting at their tables.

John Prior, Chad Daybell's attorney, just walked into the courtroom, said a few things to John Thomas (one of Lori's attorneys) and then left.

The bailiff reminds everyone of the courtroom conduct order in place - no recording on cell phones, no photos, no food.

Judge Boyce has entered the courtroom and is on the bench. Jurors are being brought in.

Madison County Prosecuting Attorney Rob Wood says the next witness will be Keeley Coleman. She is a senior DNA analyst at Bode Technology in Virginia. Wood will be questioning her.

Coleman explains her educational background and the training she's received for her job.

Coleman has processed thousands of DNA samples as an analyst and has participated 20 times in proficiency testing. Bode has been performing DNA testing since it was established in 1995.

Wood asks Coleman to describe DNA. "The biological material that makes each person unique and it's found in almost every cell of your body. You get half of the DNA from your mom and half from your dad.

99% of DNA is the same among individuals but 1% is unique among individuals and that's the DNA we are looking at."

Wood asks Coleman if controls are used in DNA testing. She says two controls are used - a positive control, which is a known DNA profile. A negative control is all of the chemicals you are using in the biological procedures but they have no DNA added to it.

Coleman describes what a DNA profile is and what a partial DNA profile is. She says Bode Technology received information from the Rexburg Police Department about the Daybell case.

She asks to refer to her notes and Boyce says that's ok as long as the defense can review them first. John Thomas looking over Coleman's notes.

Boyce says Coleman needs to testify from personal memory and she can refer to her notes but can't read them.

Coleman says in May 2022, she received three DNA profiles from Lori Vallow Daybell, Tylee Ryan and Melanie Gibb. She also received several items of evidence including a hair attached to an adhesive.

Coleman says a portion of the hair was put into a test tube. It went through a series of washes to get rid of any extraneous DNA on the hair. "Ww were trying to focus on the hair."

Additional chemicals were added to the sample and it then went through heat and cool samples. "We determined how much DNA was in the sample and then made lots and lots of copies."

"The partial DNA profile matched the DNA profile provided for Lori Vallow Daybell," Coleman says. "The probability of randomly selecting a random individual in relation to that profile 1 is 71 billion." This hair belonged to Lori.

Wood has no further questions. John Thomas now questioning Coleman.

Thomas asks Coleman about her educational background and the standards Bode must follow to be an accredited agency.

So it's understood: Lori’s hair was stuck on a piece of duct tape used to wrap JJ.

Thomas asks what the FBI requires of Coleman for DNA to go into the national database for testing. She responds that they require 20 characteristics.

Thomas asks Coleman some technical questions about thresholds required for DNA samples & what she would need to perform a test. Lori is closely paying attention during cross-examination and looks back and forth between Coleman and Thomas as questions are being asked and answered

A chart is shown on the screen showing 22 different DNA alleles tested on the hair. Coleman says out of the 22, 13 had no result. "That's a lot," Thomas says.

An allele is one of two or more versions of a DNA sequence (a single base or a segment of bases) at a given genomic location, according to the National Human Genome Research Institute.

Thomas is done questioning Coleman. Wood has further questions. Wood asks if the hair was tested against known profiles. Coleman says it was tested against three known profiles - Tylee, Melanie Gibb and Lori.

Coleman says she received the hair sample in a small envelope that was sealed with evidence tape. "The sample was taken off the adhesive that it was received on and then a portion was cut and put into a test tube," she says.

"The next step is the sample went through a series of washes. Those series of washes are to wash away any foreign or touch DNA that may have been present on the air in order to isolate the DNA." Thomas objects and says Coleman is rehashing her testimony. Boyce overrules.

"It had been indicated that the hair had been found on duct tape that was in the presence of decomposition fluids," Coleman says.

While Thomas brought up having evidence testing to get DNA into the FBI database, Wood asks Coleman if that was needed in this case. Coleman says it was not because she was testing a piece of hair against three known profiles - not people in the FBI database.

Wood: "Your statistics were one is 71 billion. What exactly does that statistic mean?" Coleman: "That means if I were to stick my hand into a hat of DNA profiles, I would expect to see this profile one in 71 billion times." Wood has no questions, Thomas has no follow-up questions

Thomas asks Boyce for a recess after being handed a Powerpoint presentation from the state. He asks for time to review it so he can know whether to object or not. Boyce says we will take a break and return at 9:50 a.m.

To clarify what I reported earlier: the tape with Lori's hair was found on the outside of the black plastic bag wrapped around JJ's body. We know that duct tape was used on JJ's wrists, ankles and mouth. More tape was also used on the plastic wrapped around his body.

link: https://twitter.com/NateNewsNow

"The sample was taken off the adhesive that it was received on and then a portion was cut and put into a test tube'

Have we been told where it's from yet, just out of interest ( taping of ankles, wrists, neck, jawline)
It's from the outside of the black plastic bag (per Nate's last tweet). The hair was not on JJ, but taped to the bag.

ETA - the tweet (posted earlier): To clarify what I reported earlier: the tape with Lori's hair was found on the outside of the black plastic bag wrapped around JJ's body. We know that duct tape was used on JJ's wrists, ankles and mouth. More tape was also used on the plastic wrapped around his body.

"The sample was taken off the adhesive that it was received on and then a portion was cut and put into a test tube'

Have we been told where it's from yet, just out of interest ( taping of ankles, wrists, neck, jawline)
Not that I have heard. Just that the tape had come into contact with decomposition fluids.

Nate has just clarified. The tape was from the black plastic bag.

Nate Eaton

@NateNewsNow
·
12m

To clarify what I reported earlier: the tape with Lori's hair was found on the outside of the black plastic bag wrapped around JJ's body. We know that duct tape was used on JJ's wrists, ankles and mouth. More tape was also used on the plastic wrapped around his body.

It's from the outside of the black plastic bag (per Nate's last tweet). The hair was not on JJ, but taped to the bag.

The tweet (posted earlier): To clarify what I reported earlier: the tape with Lori's hair was found on the outside of the black plastic bag wrapped around JJ's body. We know that duct tape was used on JJ's wrists, ankles and mouth. More tape was also used on the plastic wrapped around his body.
thankyou

found it now - they specified in last week's testimony but not this morning's

last week:

A hair? A hair?
A hair is such an infinitesimal piece of evidence. If you look at the big picture, it doesn't even show up.

It's all the other ("circumstantial") evidence that convinces me -- yeah. Guilty.

Agree. So infinitesimal the prosecution didn't even mention it in their opening statement. They just had to call the witness because the defense would make it look like they were hiding something if they didn't

Ah yes! Thanks
mitochondrial DNA

'As the major part of DNA is located in the root, hair shafts are usually problematic samples in forensic analysis. For these reasons, hair DNA typing is directed at mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), which is present in high copy number in each cell, instead of nuclear DNA analysis.'

this sample must have been a shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members