IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 #2*ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that it's hard :rolleyes:. But it's not nearly as hard as it is for an actual victim who is afraid of not being believed. And I have to believe that if we all show more restraint, we can make society more fair for people from all walks of life.
SBM
BBM

And that is the issue here.

Those who are *real* victims of hate crimes.

When fake ones are perpetrated it makes it so much harder for the real victims. Those who are not celebs, don't have the money for high-end attorneys.

Those who remain in the shadows because they are so afraid of reporting a real hate crime and not being believed because of the fakers like JS.

Its tragic, and makes me and others pretty livid.

MOO

Its been asked and answered. Here on WS, by the facts from LE, and in some op-eds in the MSM.

Personally, I think he wanted to stay on "Empire" and get validation for that threatening letter, for himself and various activists. His social media speaks volumes.

When he did not get the validation he expected he upped the game.
To his expense, because it was a very poor strategy.

I think its as simple as that.

I think most didn't think he was lying until all the holes came out. There is no denying that, unfortunately, this was a hoax.
Even Al Sharpton spoke out saying if it was indeed a hoax, the perp should be punished.

If and when there's a Grand Jury Indictment, it will speak for itself. Until then, I think we can all figure out his motivation. Its certainly not some conspiracy theory. I don't think some politician forced him to do it...

moo
Except that Empire came out and said they had no intention of writing him out of the show. I do not believe that was JS motive at all.

JMO

snip

It gets exhausting, this era of barracuda behavior, where people all jump on one another the minute something seems to clash with our "gut". I think we are strong enough to extend compassion and some benefit of the doubt without getting suckered. Maybe it used to be called etiquette or civility, but maybe a better term is "boundaries".

The ironic part is Jussie's behavior hurts his intended goals of wanting acknowledgement of victims of attacks based on sexuality and race. He defeated his own cause.

Yet they claim it's a hate crime before any suspect is found and interrogated. Personally I think "hate crime" is a poor name, and it's too dependent upon emotions which isn't good in a justice system.

Right. "Hate crime" is a silly term and has nothing to do with hate. A "hate crime" is a crime based on a victim's group membership. If you're not a member of select protected groups that are written into the law, then you can't be a victim of a "hate crime" even if the perp really, really, really hates you.

I don't know about the street thing, but I think the letter sent to Empire could be considered a hate crime even if he was behind it.
I think the feds are investigating it as a terroristic threat as well as a hate crime. The federal government is required to use grand juries for all felonies. I think JS is silent with LE now because he may have to testify before a grand jury.

JMO

What about conspiracy to commit a hate crime? On GMA he identified two people as his attackers (who he earlier singled out as white). Knowing he was lying couldn't this be a hate crime? As I understand Illinois hate crimes include harassment, stalking, and intimidation. Seems to qualify.

No. Because the motive is what's important. And he wasn't motivated by bias against a "protected class". He was motivated by something else. So far the charge would be filing a false police report. A fraud-related issue.

Who knows? Who sits around for weeks thinking about a stunt like this?
Also, who sits around for weeks figuring out how to kill somebody?
I'd say the majority of us here on WS cannot figure out the stuff we see on here because, we are not cray cray.

Thanks for the clip but it still begs the question: what was the motive behind sending the threatening letter? What did Jussie hope to accomplish with the letter? That has yet to be answered.

JMO

I note that this is thread #5. Ordinarily, links to the first four threads would be in the beginning of the thread.
It would be helpful if the mods could follow up on this.
Thank you.

All fixed now. There are only Thread #1 and this one which I have renamed appropriately as Thread #2.

(As Jax had suggested, I believe the number 4 in the original thread title caused some confusion when it showed up in the edit field when renaming this second thread.)

Last edited:
I'm not inclined to believe we are plagued with homophobia and racism. I know it. I see it. Just reading it daily in youtube and yahoo comments alone shows a person how insane and widespread it is.

I just feel we need to use common sense. And I think it's sad that an agenda or belief system can cause people to abandon logic and all rationality.

If something doesn't make sense, it's fair to scrutinize it.
And the reverse is also true, and Smollett just proved it. Racist heterophobia is also a problem.

And/or wanted to give the benefit of the doubt and not jump to conclusions. And not wanting to believe that someone would do this and put every other victim at risk of not being believed. Call me naive but I will always believe the victim (generally speaking) until given proof not to.
But if we are to abandon critical thinking in favor of believing an implausible story in the name of believing every victim, without question, that does a huge disservice to the people who are falsely implicated. Those people are the true victims.
IMO, a big part of the problem in our country today, and a big part of the divisions between us, is the abandonment of critical thinking, and the automatic, emotional belief in any statement, no matter how extreme or unlikely, as long as it fits a given world view.

His story was pretty clearly suspect from the beginning. Had CPD not been on top of things, had he not been exposed by (granted, unnamed) LE sources, innocent people would still be being blamed, and anyone sceptical accused of racism and bigotry.

We must not abandon our critical thinking skills to such an extent that it prevents us from discerning the true victim. That is also injustice.

And the reverse is also true, and Smollett just proved it. Racist heterophobia is also a problem.
True, but one injustice should not be weighed against another. It’s easy to fall into the trap of whataboutism with emotionally charged topics. I see this kind of discussion culture everywhere, and everyone is so busy lashing out and defending their own point of view that people don’t listen to each other any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member