IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 #2*ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that the City or County is the plaintiff. In cases where someone such as this is screaming hate crimes, homophobic complaints and requiring LE to add patrols and dedicate additional detectives not to mention lab expenditures etc. there should be retribution. Cities and County budgets have limited ways to go to hire and par LE.
JMO

Are convicted perpetrators of real crimes required to reimburse for detective time and lab expenditures, etc.? If not, why treat this any differently? The CPD investigated this crime and found the perps and they'll be prosecuted just like any other perps, and be sentenced just like any other perps. If that always means restitution for CPD costs, so be it; if not, so be that.

To my thinking, CPD was not "forced" into devoting extra resources on this assault case, they chose to based on We The People who raised such a hullaballoo because it was a case that touched so many hot buttons for so many groups in our super-reactionary society. High profile cases almost always take away resources from other cases; this one seems to be a hoax crime, and that's why false reporting is a crime - so it can be prosecuted just like other crimes.

This seems to be a HD version of the cctv.
Surveillance video from inside hardware store shows two brothers buying masks and hats that Chicago police believe were used in alleged Jussie Smollett attack, authorities say.

Smollett has been "officially classified as a suspect" in an ongoing criminal investigation for filing a false report, Chicago police announced Wednesday. Jussie Smollett charged with felony disorderly conduct for filing false report after allegedly staging attack: Police

This guy covers crime for the Trib

1. 13m13 minutes ago
    The last time I can think of that someone was charged with felony disorderly conduct in such a high-profile case in Cook County was in connection with a murder-suicide at a Nordstrom store off North Michigan Avenue that occurred on Black Friday in 2014. #JussieSmollette

3 replies4 retweets2 likes

2. 10m10 minutes ago
    In that case, Chicago police traced the gun used in the shooting to a woman who, authorities said, purchased it legally at a northwest suburban gun shop in 2013 but later reported it stolen from her Skokie apartment. #JussieSmollett

1 reply0 retweets3 likes
Jeremy Gorner‏ @JeremyGorner
When Chicago police asked the woman about the gun, they learned her story didn’t add up and accused her of giving or selling the gun to the man who killed a Nordstrom employee before he killed himself with the firearm at the store, authorities said. #JussieSmolett

8:09 PM - 20 Feb 2019

Fox stands by Jussie Smollett and says he is not being written out of Empire | Daily Mail Online

[...]

View attachment 170105
Fox has denied claims Jussie Smollett is being written out of Empire amid the ongoing controversy surrounding the alleged attack he suffered on January 29. He is pictured on the show (top left) with his on-screen family, Terrence Howard, Bryshere Gray and Taraji P. Henson

[...]

I wonder if that means his character or the actor isn’t being written out? In good soap opera fashion he could have a horrific car accident and come out with a new face because it’s a different actor.

That's a whole different case and it's being handled by the US postal inspectors and the FBI.
Did the letter go thru the postal system? It was delivered, but I am unclear if it was mailed or delivered some other way, or if JS claimed to have found it (so it never was, perhaps, in anyone's hands except his). Can anyone remind me of the specifics of the letter?

Jmo

I wonder if that means his character or the actor isn’t being written out? In good soap opera fashion he could have a horrific car accident and come out with a new face because it’s a different actor.
They could have one of the Nigerian brothers replace him! He's been coaching them on acting.

Are convicted perpetrators of real crimes required to reimburse for detective time and lab expenditures, etc.? If not, why treat this any differently? The CPD investigated this crime and found the perps and they'll be prosecuted just like any other perps, and be sentenced just like any other perps. If that always means restitution for CPD costs, so be it; if not, so be that.

To my thinking, CPD was not "forced" into devoting extra resources on this assault case, they chose to based on We The People who raised such a hullaballoo because it was a case that touched so many hot buttons for so many groups in our super-reactionary society. High profile cases almost always take away resources from other cases; this one seems to be a hoax crime, and that's why false reporting is a crime - so it can be prosecuted just like other crimes.

It should be treated differently because there was no crime conmmited, other than what JS concocted himself.

This seems to be a HD version of the cctv.
Surveillance video from inside hardware store shows two brothers buying masks and hats that Chicago police believe were used in alleged Jussie Smollett attack, authorities say.

Smollett has been "officially classified as a suspect" in an ongoing criminal investigation for filing a false report, Chicago police announced Wednesday. Jussie Smollett charged with felony disorderly conduct for filing false report after allegedly staging attack: Police
Paid with a large bill, cash. The clerk put it under the drawer in the register.

Did the letter go thru the postal system? It was delivered, but I am unclear if it was mailed or delivered some other way, or if JS claimed to have found it (so it never was, perhaps, in anyone's hands except his). Can anyone remind me of the specifics of the letter?

Jmo

It went thru the mail. FBI is on that part of the case.

Jmo

Smollett received a letter containing a white powder Jan. 22. The letter was mailed to Chicago’s Cinespace Studios, where the show “Empire” is filmed. The letter prompted a HAZMAT response. CPD says the “white substance” was later determined to be aspirin.

Jussie Smollett Was Involved In Creating Racist Letter, Which Later Led To Attack, Sources Say

Jmo
Yes it went through the mail system. It was mailed to the Empire studio in Chicago. Many articles posted on thread said it was delivered by a postal worker.

Jmo

One of the recent news reports said they confiscated a book of stamps from the Nigerian brothers' residence along with the magazines, so I am assuming that they are trying to find a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg