IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #5 Smollett indicted”

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a number of other hoax cases similar to this where the accused only got community service and a fine. Those cases did not get attention towards the sentencing like this.

This did not set the precedent.

I disagree, this case does set a precedent. The two cases you linked to did not involve celebrities/actors and did not make global headlines.

The person who faked this nauseating hate crime hoax is not an Average Joe. He's reasonably famous, is a known activist, and has friends in high places.

This was a staged hate crime in a city that has a high rate of violent crime and sometimes volatile race relations.

What if an innocent person was murdered because of JS's hoax?

What about all the real crimes that needed police attention, but resources were diverted because a celebrity staged a hate crime to get attention?

Why all the secrecy around the charges being dropped?

IMHO there are no similar hoax cases that received so much publicity, with far-reaching consequences.

ETA: in other cases where hate crimes have been hoaxed the person who created the hoax usually apologizes and admits to what they did. Smollett is as smug as ever, gloating that he got off and is still faking his alleged "attack". He needs to come clean instead of hiding behind his celebrity status.

We'll agree to disagree. Moving on...

moo

Oh, I certainly don’t feel that he should be punished any differently.

I said that in the previous thread.

Typically, these crimes involve a guilty plea, probation, and restitution.

That would have been fine.

What doesn’t sit well, is the justice system showing favoritism in the form of all charges being dropped, despite the overwhelming evidence here.

Based on precedent wouldnt he get similar punishment anyway? I mean dropping the charges is weird, but I do think IF he did it he should confess.

But if he didnt, I dont think anyone should make false confessions ever.

I disagree, this case does set a precedent. The two cases you linked to did not involve celebrities/actors and did not make global headlines.

The person who faked this nauseating hate crime hoax is not an Average Joe. He's reasonably famous, is a known activist, and has friends in high places.

This was a staged hate crime in a city that has a high rate of violent crime and sometimes volatile race relations.

What if an innocent person was murdered because of JS's hoax?

What about all the real crimes that needed police attention, but resources were diverted because a celebrity staged a hate crime to get attention?

Why all the secrecy around the charges being dropped?

IMHO there are no similar hoax cases that received so much publicity, with far-reaching consequences.

moo

I dont share your belief that celebrities should get special treatment, good or bad.
The same crime has been sentenced the same multiple times over.

Also compared to the other cases, in this less people if any were hurt. The other hoaxes had people actually accused and resources used to come at the accused. JS's is 10x less hurtful than that.

Based on precedent wouldnt he get similar punishment anyway? I mean dropping the charges is weird, but I do think IF he did it he should confess.

But if he didnt, I dont think anyone should make false confessions ever.
The evidence against him is overwhelming.

It is laid bare in those investigative reports that were released today.

A normal person would have admitted guilt, or taken this to trial.

JS did neither, and continues to lie.

No innocent person should be forced to confess.

But he is anything but innocent.

The evidence against him is overwhelming.

It is laid bare in those investigative reports that were released today.

A normal person would have admitted guilt, or taken this to trial.

JS did neither, and continues to lie.

No innocent person should be forced to confess.

But he is anything but innocent.

Regardless, he is getting the same punishment for the same crime as other people.

And thats fine with me because I believe the law should apply to people the same, even if they are a celebrity.

Regardless, he is getting the same punishment for the same crime as other people.

And thats fine with me because I believe the law should apply to people the same, even if they are a celebrity.
Those people walked away with a criminal record; this guy didn’t.

That’s the distinction, and it’s a big one.

not quite. he has not had to plea 'guilty' to anything. its all been dropped and the records sealed.
He should have a record and a guilty plea at the very, very least.

He doesnt 'get' the seriousness of what could have gone wrong with this STUNT

not quite. he has not had to plea 'guilty' to anything. its all been dropped and the records sealed.
He should have a record and a guilty plea at the very, very least.

He doesnt 'get' the seriousness of what could have gone wrong with this STUNT
Would you plead guilty to something you didnt do?
Not saying he's innocent, but IF there is more info to prove he didnt, why would he confess?
If he did do it, then he should have been prosecuted.

I dont believe conspiracy theories though.

In the cases you brought forward, the accused were found guilty.

In this case charges were dropped, record expunged and he still gets to play the victim card. That's not justice!

He's still claiming victimhood. If the state's attorney

In the cases you brought forward, the accused were found guilty.

In this case charges were dropped, record expunged and he still gets to play the victim card. That's not justice!

Then why not prosecute him?
No conspiracy theories please.

Theres much bigger issues in the world than if he says he did it or not. The punishment is not going to change.

This one got the attention it did now because that’s the attention it has received all along.

Back when people took this crime at face value, it led all the nightly news broadcasts and had prime time cable news coverage.

It wasn’t just national, it was global.

That coverage hasn’t waned, because interest hasn’t dissipated.

People are mad at being lied to.

Agreed; I don't recall, at minimum, any recent true hate crime victim who solicited Good Morning America for a major story in prime morning drive time.

As a matter of fact, it seems like many of the people who are eager to speak about "hate crimes" are, in fact, hoaxers. Which makes nothing but sense to me - who wants to relive it? You can't even get lockstep agreement amongst people whom you would think are thinking stereotypically...

Brian Stelter cautioned by CNN colleague Steve Cortes: 'Don't disrespect the cops' in Smollett case

“The narrative has once again changed from victim, you know, to villain back to victim. It’s been very confusing,” Stelter said. “People don’t know what to believe and we may never know what happened on the street that night in Chicago.”

CNN political commentator Steve Cortes was critical of Stelter's stance.

“Brian, unless you believe the Chicago Police created an insanely complex hoax themselves, we know precisely what happened that night. Please don’t disrespect the cops’ diligent work,” Cortes told his colleague.

The “Reliable Sources” anchor doubled down on his remarks on Twitter in response to critics, insisting that because there “isn’t any video,” no one can truly know “what really happened.”

BBM: Can you imagine what the world did for a justice system in the days where there was no video; or even cameras? How did we all ever survive/discover guilty vs. innocent?

IIRC, we used our common sense!! We asked ourselves, "Can you imagine a human being making this decision, or engaging in this behavior? Why or why not? Does this seem plausible as a lie, outside of maybe a circumstance of mental illness, or someone reacting out of white-hot fear? How about if you really stretch your brain cells and think about everyone you've ever met?" Etc., etc.

These ideas are why prosecutors can't get a decent verdict, with people demanding CSI-level results before they can definitively "say someone is guilty".

Theres much bigger issues in the world than if he says he did it or not. The punishment is not going to change.
RBBM

That's the million dollar question and what we all want to know.

I'll remember "there's much bigger issues in the world" next time there's a hate crime and the victim isnt hurt too bad.

That’s the question everyone is asking.

The head scratching that is going on, is nearly universal.

It’s rare that just about everyone agrees with something, but the events here have led to just that.

If something that doesn’t typically occur happens, then it lends itself to questions.

Why the special treatment?

RBBM

That's the million dollar question and what we all want to know.

I'll remember "there's much bigger issues in the world" next time there's a hate crime and the victim isnt hurt too bad.

<modsnip>
I said in the end the punishment will be the same (community service and a fine) so why does it matter if he says he did it or not. There was no hate crime allegedly.

Maybe he didnt do it? I know I wouldnt confess to something I didnt do.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s the question everyone is asking.

The head scratching that is going on, is nearly universal.

It’s rare that just about everyone agrees with something, but the events here have led to just that.

If something that doesn’t typically occur happens, then it lends itself to questions.

Why the special treatment?

Maybe he didnt do it, or they felt they couldnt win.
He's doing the very same punishment he would have been sentenced to.

I find this Smollett worse than a regular criminal. His calculated, conniving, unapologetic, self righteous demeanor makes me sick. It's more than a hoax. This guy tried to demonize a group of people with his MAGA agenda, and he should spend time behind bars thinking about it. His actions are beyond appalling. Scum of the earth. Maybe I will tell you what I really think now. :)

I find this Smollett worse than a regular criminal. His calculated, conniving, unapologetic, self righteous demeanor makes me sick. It's more than a hoax. This guy tried to demonize a group of people with his MAGA agenda, and he should spend time behind bars thinking about it. His actions are beyond appalling. Scum of the earth. Maybe I will tell you what I really think now. :)
Im sorry, I dont agree that celebrities should get special treatment. I posted earlier a number of cases that are the same if not more despicable than this. Those had actual victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member