IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #5 Smollett indicted”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those people walked away with a criminal record; this guy didn’t.

That’s the distinction, and it’s a big one.

I was just listeimg to a 30 year career CPD detective on Fox.

He brought up valid points. Imo

He said when any prosecutor recuses themselves from any case that means the entire prosecution staff/team must also recuse themselves since they are extensions of this same prosecutor. He said Foxx knows that, and she is lying because recusing means she, and her entire staff is off the case.

He said when any prosecutor has to recuse themselves they go to another jurisdiction altogether, and bring in a special prosecutor to be over the case.

He also said she is flat out lying about this happening all the time. He was with the CPD for over thirty years, and worked closely with prosecutors, and it's never happened.... not even one time ....before this fiasco.

Imo

Would you plead guilty to something you didnt do?
Not saying he's innocent, but IF there is more info to prove he didnt, why would he confess?
If he did do it, then he should have been prosecuted.

I dont believe conspiracy theories though.

Actually, yes I have pled to a lesser charge/lesser fine in a traffic court.
It was an overzealous officer, he was in the wrong but you're not going to win THAT in court.

I didnt want demerit points and avoided them. There was NO option to refuse it all, I pled to 'interfering with traffic' which could be standing in a parking spot. It seems to be a default, minor charge. <shrug>

I get that, but its the same crime. Precedent shows this is the kind of punishment it receives. No celebrity should get special treatment, good or bad. So why do people want him put away for life for something other people continuously get fines/community service for.

Who said anything about "put away for life?" The man broke the law. His charges were dropped and the deal was sealed. I think people want to see justice in action, not preferential treatment for people with friends in high places.

<modsnip>
I said in the end the punishment will be the same (community service and a fine) so why does it matter if he says he did it or not. There was no hate crime allegedly.

Maybe he didnt do it? I know I wouldnt confess to something I didnt do.
<modsnip>

Maybe he didn't do it? Lol Even the prosecutor's office thinks he did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who said anything about "put away for life?" The man broke the law. His charges were dropped and the deal was sealed. I think people want to see justice in action, not preferential treatment for people with friends in high places.
He paid a fine and will do/done community service.
Thats the precedent for this crime.
Justice has been served tbh.

Everyone is a victim, when some screwball gets away with lying and attacking a group of people for a slap on the wrist. It encourages the next person to fake a hate crime. It is even damaging to real victims of hate crimes. They are also victims of this guy.

Kim Foxx claims Smollett got no special treatment

I guess she’s gonna be answering a lot of calls from families of defendants asking for her time to “discuss” the issues

And everyone now sentenced to Community Service gets to serve it in a nice dry bookstore owned by her friend, rather than be out picking up trash along the interstate in the pouring rain ...

Actually, yes I have pled to a lesser charge/lesser fine in a traffic court.
It was an overzealous officer, he was in the wrong but you're not going to win THAT in court.

I didnt want demerit points and avoided them. There was NO option to refuse it all, I pled to 'interfering with traffic' which could be standing in a parking spot. It seems to be a default, minor charge. <shrug>

Im glad it worked out (I think) :), thats awful it happened to you

Reactions: JDG
He paid a fine and will do/done community service.
Thats the precedent for this crime.
Justice has been served tbh.
No. You keep saying that. It’s not true.

Precedent involves an admission of guilt, and results in a criminal record.

That is the absolute biggest punishment of all, and is a standard one.

Everyone is a victim, when some screwball gets away with lying and attacking a group of people for a slap on the wrist. It encourages the next person to fake a hate crime. It is even damaging to real victims of hate crimes. They are also victims of this guy.

There are Tons of other crimes where this very thing happens and the people who are upset are told they are wrong. Its how things work.

Maybe you should protest if you feel that strongly.

I didn't twist your words, so don't say that I did.

Maybe he didn't do it? Lol Even the prosecutor's office thinks he did it.

<modsnip>
&
Then they should have prosecuted him. But they didnt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, “this happens all the time, but quick, find the cases that illustrate that this happens all the time.”

CBS 2 has obtained an internal email from the Cook County State's Attorney's Office regarding a search for felony cases dropped under similar circumstances to the Jussie Smollett case.

We are looking for examples of cases, felony preferable, where we, in excersing [sic] our discretion, have entered into verbal agreements with defense attorneys to dismiss charges against an offender if certain conditions were met, such as the payment of restitution, completion of community service, completion of class, etc., but the defendant was not placed in a formal diversion program,” the email states.

CBS Chicago on Twitter

Boy, she knows she has stepped in IT big time!

I think reality is finally setting in, but way too little, and way too late now.

From everything I've seen in the media she ain't gonna find any case either.

Imo

That’s why everyone is so mad.
Maybe they should protest. (But dont block traffic! lol)

People who have evidence proving their crimes are let off all the time. Protests have been happening regularly for almost 5 years. Its America, this is hardly new.

Maybe they should protest. (But dont block traffic! lol)

People who have evidence proving their crimes are let off all the time. Protests have been happening regularly for almost 5 years. Its America, this is hardly new.
Screaming in the streets doesn’t achieve the same thing as having cases handled by the book.

A jury letting someone off, is not the same as a prosecutor doing something unprecedented, when the suspect is a celebrity.

If the prosecution cited “lack of evidence,” that would be one thing.

Instead, they have said the opposite.

What a crock of you know what.
The insolence of both he and his attorneys is jaw dropping. Imo

Smollett's attorneys, Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes, issued the following statement Tuesday:

"'Today, all criminal charges against Jussie Smollett were dropped and his record has been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint against him. Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29th. He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgement.'"

"'Jussie and many others were hurt by these unfair and unwarranted actions. This entire situation is a reminder that there should never be an attempt to prove a case in the court of public opinion. That is wrong. It is a reminder that a victim, in this case Jussie, deserves dignity and respect. Dismissal of charges against the victim in this case was the only just result."

"Jussie is relieved to have this situation behind him and is very much looking forward to getting back to focusing on his family, friends and career."

Statement from Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office:

"'After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett's volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case," the Cook County State's Attorney's Office said in a statement Tuesday.'"

"Smollett had posted $10,000 bond to be released from jail after he was arrested in late February."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname