IL IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
finally heard about this case this morning, just caught up on the thread. WOW. I can't imagine how much that poor child has suffered over his short little life. I hope they get to the bottom of this fast and find him alive somewhere and this was all a ploy for money. Sad, just sad.

I've been wondering for the past few days- aren't crime scenes typically protected areas to avoid contaminating or otherwise disturbing evidence or potential evidence? I thought it odd that the house was declared a crime scene and yet AJSr is permitted to stay there. If it was completely processed and cleared, I would understand it, but it doesn't seem that there was enough time for that, and there has not been any indication (that I have read, anyway) that it is no longer considered a crime scene.
If any WSers can enlighten me on the whole 'being declared a crime scene' standard operating procedure, I'd so appreciate it!
Mods: I rarely post, and apologize if this is considered off-topic.

She looks strung out. She’s lacking that facial roundness you get far along in your pregnancy. She definitely does not look sober. She might have dodged prenatal care all together. Doctors test women and they will contact services if you come up dirty. They are mandated to.

Since you brought it up. There was a news video of her yesterday getting out of a car and walking up to the house. She def doesn't look 7 months pregnant. Barely a bump when she turns sideways, she's very thin. I'm really hoping she isn't using, simply just doesn't gain a lot during her pregnancies.

Since you brought it up. There was a news video of her yesterday getting out of a car and walking up to the house. She def doesn't look 7 months pregnant. Barely a bump when she turns sideways, she's very thin. I'm really hoping she isn't using, simply just doesn't gain a lot during her pregnancies.
She was using back in December.

She was using back in December.

DCFS released a timeline highlighting interactions between DCFS and Andrew's family:
  • In October 2013, DCFS investigated an allegation of neglect by the mother and found there was credible evidence to substantiate the allegation. Andrew was born with opiates in his body.
  • The following month, DCFS took Andrew into protective custody. He was placed in a foster home and not returned to his own home until June 2015. The case was closed in April 2016.
  • In March 2018, DCFS investigated allegations of neglect by the father and mother, but concluded they were unfounded. The mother agreed to re-enter treatment.
  • On Dec. 18, 2018, DCFS investigated another allegation of abuse and neglect by the mother, and the boy was temporarily removed by police, but he was returned to the home after the allegations were ruled unfounded. There was no evidence to support allegations of deplorable conditions in the home, and bruising on the child was attributed to the dog.
Do you mean March 2018? I don't think they would have given Andrew back if it was proven she was using in December. Just trying to keep the known facts straight.

It wouldn't surprise me if she were back then, they just didn't test her ...

SABBM
Ok--Just about died laughing.
Your post was hilarious ! Thx. :)

A little levity in a very horrific case of abuse and neglect.

So often in this case I'm reminded of Adrian Jones.
Background of past and current drug use by the (in his case, stepmother) parents and a filthy home.
There was never any chance for AJ and his younger brother.
OMG Poor Sweet Adrian. Another failure if So called Child Protective services.
I don't even want to hear any excuses defending so called child protective services.
Take it to Adrian's grave,and say it to God's face.
MOO

I've been wondering for the past few days- aren't crime scenes typically protected areas to avoid contaminating or otherwise disturbing evidence or potential evidence? I thought it odd that the house was declared a crime scene and yet AJSr is permitted to stay there. If it was completely processed and cleared, I would understand it, but it doesn't seem that there was enough time for that, and there has not been any indication (that I have read, anyway) that it is no longer considered a crime scene.
If any WSers can enlighten me on the whole 'being declared a crime scene' standard operating procedure, I'd so appreciate it!
Mods: I rarely post, and apologize if this is considered off-topic.
Actually, you're spot on !

Btw-- Welcome to Websleuths, MorganSun !

I, too, thought that was odd.

I hope when the baby is born he or she is swept up by the state or adoptive parent in godspeed before JC ever has a chance to touch it.

DCFS released a timeline highlighting interactions between DCFS and Andrew's family:
  • In October 2013, DCFS investigated an allegation of neglect by the mother and found there was credible evidence to substantiate the allegation. Andrew was born with opiates in his body.
  • The following month, DCFS took Andrew into protective custody. He was placed in a foster home and not returned to his own home until June 2015. The case was closed in April 2016.
  • In March 2018, DCFS investigated allegations of neglect by the father and mother, but concluded they were unfounded. The mother agreed to re-enter treatment.
  • On Dec. 18, 2018, DCFS investigated another allegation of abuse and neglect by the mother, and the boy was temporarily removed by police, but he was returned to the home after the allegations were ruled unfounded. There was no evidence to support allegations of deplorable conditions in the home, and bruising on the child was attributed to the dog.
Do you mean March 2018? I don't think they would have given Andrew back if it was proven she was using in December. Just trying to keep the known facts straight.

It wouldn't surprise me if she were back then, they just didn't test her ...
Yes, I meant March! I'm so sorry and thanks!

OMG Poor Sweet Adrian. Another failure if So called Child Protective services.
I don't even want to hear any excuses defending so called child protective services.
Take it to Adrian's grave,and say it to God's face.
MOO
We all remembered how poor little beautiful Bella Bond ended up dead by her drug addicted Mother and BF. BF was convicted Mom got away with neglect and murder even violated her probation using drugs again doesn’t even go back to jail unbelievable.

Interesting that LE pointed out that mom is not cooperating but dad spoke with them on Saturday. I wonder if that was partly meant to rile the mother, make her nervous enough to start talking before the dad "tattles."

Seeing as both parents were in the home the night before and the morning of AJ's disappearance, then whatever one knows the other knows. IMO if one parent truly had no knowledge or involvement then they would have been forthcoming from the start. Right now that doesn't seem to be the case.

It's pretty clear that LE believes one or both parents are responsible. I hope mom and dad aren't trying to play the waiting game in order for the cause of death to be "undetermined." MOO.
They will break the mom..... “you don’t want your baby to be born in prison,” etc.

5-year-old Andrew 'AJ' Freund of Crystal Lake has been missing for 5 days. Here is what we know.

A court hearing will be held Tuesday about the younger brother's status, according to the mother's attorneys.

-- Jeannie Ridings, an attorney for Cunningham, said Sunday that the parents were separated during hourslong questioning Thursday at the Crystal Lake Police Department and have since not been "together as to any search, or strategy on what to do next." They did embraced at one point during a community vigil Saturday.

-- Attorney Elizabeth Vonau, another attorney representing Cunningham, said Cunningham has cooperated with police despite their statements otherwise. Cunningham was interviewed by police Thursday and "willingly submitted" to a complete body search Saturday, she said.

Missing Crystal Lake boy Andrew 'AJ' Freund: Father continues search, mother pleads for boy's, 5, return

Crystal Lake police said Monday that Cunningham is uncooperative with police. Her lawyer says she has shared everything she knows with authorities and he has advised her to keep quiet.

In a statement, her lawyer said: "Joann is particularly devastated by the Crystal Lake Police Department's press release that she refuses to cooperate and that as a result, she is a suspect. Ms. Cunningham was physically present with law enforcement beginning the moment CLPD responded to her 911 call Thursday morning, until after 5:00 p.m. Thursday evening. That day Ms. Cunningham spoke with numerous law enforcement officers, both local and federal, and answered every question she was posed to the best of her ability. While law enforcement was conducting a missing child investigation, Ms. Cunningham was eager to participate. When it became clear law enforcement was not conducting a missing child investigation, was not issuing an Amber Alert, had stopped searching for AJ, and considered her a suspect, we did advise her to stop all communications with law enforcement and she did so at our request. This is just us as her attorneys doing our job, not evidence of her wrongdoing, and is not itself suspicious in any way."

Last edited:
Instead of the mother, trying so hard right now to get her younger son back, maybe she should focus on helping find her MISSING son first.

Maybe she knows he is not coming back ?
So why should she bother . :(
It's almost like she wants the younger sibling back to prove (just b/c she regained custody, not b/c she's ever proved that she's a 'good mother') that she always treated AJ well.
The facts show a different story.

Did we ever figure out who saw this child last and when? Besides the parents, I mean.

No, a brief snippet from the neighbors' in earlier articles saying it'd been a week or more since they saw him.

Not imediatly clear why the younger brother was removed.
Well the place is a crime scene. Not to mention it makes the Munsters house look like The Hilton. Brother is missing,parents not cooperating.
Mom shouldn't worry overmuch. I have faith DCSF will return little brother,and close the case out. Like they did with Andrew.
MOO
SABBM

Not too bright, this particular DFCS !
Addicts make terrible parents.
There hasn't been a case on WS , or a criminal case elsewhere -- that shows a good, caring , addicted parent.

It seems to me like AJs parents are living seperate lives. I wonder if this was the case prior to his disappearance (seeing as there are rumors of a boyfriend)? I wonder if this could be a situation like Caylee Anthony where something happened to the boy while in mom’s care and it wasn’t until AF (who may have been working and doing his own thing) said “where’s Andrew?” That the alarm was raised. MOO.
Mother of missing Illinois boy refusing to cooperate, police say
The quote in that story makes it seem like SHE was the last one to “see” him. Not THEY.

Also I will just add that my experience with drug addicts is that they lie. With every breath. Not because they are bad people necessarily (some certainly are) but because their addiction has such a grip on them that it supercedes everything else. Getting the next fix is more important than anything. I am not making an excuse for JC at all! But I guess just saying I wouldn’t expect much from her.

I can understand using your resources widely, but it's been 5 days folks without one major search in the area.....anywhere! Sounds like there are tons of volunteers in the town who would help. Put'em to work! North Shore Drive is a good place to start. Close to the road. Obviously sweet boy isn't in the house.....

I can understand using your resources widely, but it's been 5 days folks without one major search in the area.....anywhere! Sounds like there are tons of volunteers in the town who would help. Put'em to work! North Shore Drive is a good place to start. Close to the road. Obviously sweet boy isn't in the house.....

I drove down North Shore road several times on the day AJ went missing. There were special units from the Elgin Police Departments doing searches and also had drones in the air.

JMO, but I believe if they thought he was lost in the vicinity, they’d be searching. If it’s true as was reported, that the dogs hit on AJs scent in the auto trunk, I speculate LE is assuming something. And the FBI’s involved. They’re not slouches.

However, is it fact that they’re not searching anywhere? I thought I saw a photo of searchers somewhere wearing orange vests, but maybe that was on an unrelated webpage.

5-year-old Andrew 'AJ' Freund of Crystal Lake has been missing for 5 days. Here is what we know.

A court hearing will be held Tuesday about the younger brother's status, according to the mother's attorneys.

-- Jeannie Ridings, an attorney for Cunningham, said Sunday that the parents were separated during hourslong questioning Thursday at the Crystal Lake Police Department and have since not been "together as to any search, or strategy on what to do next." They did embraced at one point during a community vigil Saturday.

-- Attorney Elizabeth Vonau, another attorney representing Cunningham, said Cunningham has cooperated with police despite their statements otherwise. Cunningham was interviewed by police Thursday and "willingly submitted" to a complete body search Saturday, she said.

Missing Crystal Lake boy Andrew 'AJ' Freund: Father continues search, mother pleads for boy's, 5, return

Crystal Lake police said Monday that Cunningham is uncooperative with police. Her lawyer says she has shared everything she knows with authorities and he has advised her to keep quiet.

In a statement, her lawyer said: "Joann is particularly devastated by the Crystal Lake Police Department's press release that she refuses to cooperate and that as a result, she is a suspect. Ms. Cunningham was physically present with law enforcement beginning the moment CLPD responded to her 911 call Thursday morning, until after 5:00 p.m. Thursday evening. That day Ms. Cunningham spoke with numerous law enforcement officers, both local and federal, and answered every question she was posed to the best of her ability. While law enforcement was conducting a missing child investigation, Ms. Cunningham was eager to participate. When it became clear law enforcement was not conducting a missing child investigation, was not issuing an Amber Alert, had stopped searching for AJ, and considered her a suspect, we did advise her to stop all communications with law enforcement and she did so at our request. This is just us as her attorneys doing our job, not evidence of her wrongdoing, and is not itself suspicious in any way."

What about a lie detector and drug test? To me those would be beneficial in clearing her name and moving the investigation forward.

Someone who is friends with Joann posted a video in the facebook group that shows Joann with the 3 year old at a hotel swimming pool on 4/13. AJ is not with them. A neighbor also said that he saw the Dad out on a walk with just the 3 year old.

Very interesting I seen this too! Some neighbors have been coming forth with some info. I.e neighbour across the street whom stated his camera didn’t pick up anything because it was facing the house not the street. Hopefully more neighbors have cameras and come forward to the police and something is found!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member