Found Deceased IL - Benedetta 'Beth' Bentley, 41, Mount Vernon, 23 May 2010 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thought.... Why isn't SB more active with this? Beth's friends seem to be doing a wonderful job, but LE is NOT going to be getting info to friends. That only goes to family. Family has to be the one to push for the searches and get information to the public to assist with the search.....

Why are there still NO ping maps from Beth's phone? No info at all about where the phone last pinged as far as I recall, just that her cell phone and credit cards have not been used. At least info on where the cell last pinged would be a starting point to search.

the lack of info available to the public -or- from the family is very frustrating in this case.

Locals. Can you help us out here? Can someone put together a list of lakes in the Mt. Vernon area and which have boat rentals?

Perhaps posting fliers at the lakes in the area - if there are boat houses, a building, or parking lot area where fliers could be posted and not get too damaged by the elements.

If they did go boating, I imagine someone saw them. not everyone pays attention to missing persons cases and not everyone watches the news (for more than say sports or weather).

I don't have a good feeling about this one. Right now, some kind of accident on a boat stands out the most of the possibilities I have considered.

It was reported as "confirmed" as the group had rented a boat on Lake Rend. However, also as confirmed the only sightings of Beth were at the Frosty mug and the IGA. With that being said, was Beth no spotted at the Lake? Where was she? Makes me question the entire timeline and phone calls.

Cubby, it was stated the boat was rented Saturday. However, it was stated by SB that he spoke with BB on Sunday afternoon, therefore that would rule out a boating accident on Saturday. If that phone call is confirmed through LE.

I am curious if BB sent any picture messages of the things they were doing, or places they had been to from her phone to SB or anyone else??

One more thought.... Why isn't SB more active with this? Beth's friends seem to be doing a wonderful job, but LE is NOT going to be getting info to friends. That only goes to family. Family has to be the one to push for the searches and get information to the public to assist with the search.....

Why are there still NO ping maps from Beth's phone? No info at all about where the phone last pinged as far as I recall, just that her cell phone and credit cards have not been used. At least info on where the cell last pinged would be a starting point to search.

the lack of info available to the public -or- from the family is very frustrating in this case.

From Beth's missing FB
FAQ:

Beth disappeared Sunday, May 23rd from either Mt. Vernon or Centralia...we have not been able to determine WHERE.

Beth's friend, who will not be named, supposedly dropped her off 'by the train' in Centralia, IL.

Beth can not be confirmed as being on the train by either the Amtrak or by people riding the train.

Beth went from Woodstock, IL to Mt. Vernon, IL with her best friend to visit the bf's boyfriend who is rehabbing a house in Mt. Vernon (boyfriend will not be named).

Beth's iPhone and credit cards are being monitored by the police.

Beth's iPhone CAN NOT be found, triangulated, pinged, period...it is not an option and I can't go into a long discussion as to the how's and why's.

Did Beth runaway? In my firm opinion, no. Do I hope so? Well, I have to have hope......just help us find her.

Scott, Beth's husband, is devastated and has been completely ruled out of any suspicions.

Scott is not a 'computer guy'. He is an attorney and has other people doing the computer stuff. Also...Scott can hardly look at the posts because he...well...it is very, very hard. We all share all the good stuff with him.

Scott and the boys want visitors and calls. It makes them feel good. Call and tell them you are thinking of them, or send a note. Stuff like that is so important

It was reported as "confirmed" as the group had rented a boat on Lake Rend. However, also as confirmed the only sightings of Beth were at the Frosty mug and the IGA. With that being said, was Beth no spotted at the Lake? Where was she? Makes me question the entire timeline and phone calls.

Where was it confirmed they rented a boat on Lake Rend? "official" confirmation or a FB post? I'm not too trusting of what is posted on FB - I think - or I hope - IF LE confirmed both the 4:15 call, AND a boating trip after the last known call, they need to get a search crew out there with equipment to search the lake.

What do we know about searches being conducted in the area? Any official searches? or are just friends searching.

There is soooo much rumor and unverified info on the FB page it is driving me batty to sort fact from fiction.

JMO

Cubby, it was stated the boat was rented Saturday. However, it was stated by SB that he spoke with BB on Sunday afternoon, therefore that would rule out a boating accident on Saturday. If that phone call is confirmed through LE.

Could they have rented the boat on Saturday for the full weekend and not just the day?

I am curious if BB sent any picture messages of the things they were doing, or places they had been to from her phone to SB or anyone else??

Welcome to WS SD21.

Good point! Beth had a lot of pictures posted on FB.

Now I have a dumb question. (and well, not so dumb because the only dumb questions are the ones not asked. ;) ) If Beth had taken pictures on her cell phone and she did not post them or send them anywhere, can they still be retrieved somehow? I'm thinking along the lines of having a log of call history. Is that possible with pictures too?

Where was it confirmed they rented a boat on Lake Rend? "official" confirmation or a FB post? I'm not too trusting of what is posted on FB - I think - or I hope - IF LE confirmed both the 4:15 call, AND a boating trip after the last known call, they need to get a search crew out there with equipment to search the lake.

What do we know about searches being conducted in the area? Any official searches? or are just friends searching.

There is soooo much rumor and unverified info on the FB page it is driving me batty to sort fact from fiction.

JMO

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo true!

i agree with you cubby!

which witch is which?

JMO

I agree with you 100 percent Cubby. I know these are facts being verified through a family friend from what is says on face book. But I don't make a ruling until I here it straight from LE mouth as confirmed. I think we have seen enough cases in Illinois of missing wives to know better than to jump to any old conclusion. Remember, Stacey Peterson is still out there with her new boyfriend somewhere :innocent:

Hear ~ Hear ~ NSC!

i'm smelling what you're stepping in...

From tarabulls post #245 above. My comments below in red.

Beth's iPhone CAN NOT be found, triangulated, pinged, period...it is not an option and I can't go into a long discussion as to the how's and why's.

Well then how about the short discussion on the how's and why's? Something that is standard in a missing persons investigation is somehow impossible for Beths case? What makes Beths case different than any other missing persons case that pinging, or triangulating her cell phone is a black and white not possible? :waitasec:

<snip>

Scott is not a 'computer guy'. He is an attorney and has other people doing the computer stuff. Also...Scott can hardly look at the posts because he...well...it is very, very hard. We all share all the good stuff with him. It is not imperative Scott involve himself via the computer. There are plenty of missing persons cases where family either communicates through the media making appeals for their missing family member, or has a family spokesperson to do thatfor them through the media. I do not believe Scott had any involvement in Beth's disappearance but the lack of any comment from himself or a spokesperson is troubling. By troubling I mean, there are plenty of missing persons organizations out there to assist the family and guide them. Why has Scott not reached out to any of these organizations to help direct and guide him with media relations and getting appropriate info to the public to help find his wife?

Why is Scott being portrayed as so fragile he can't cope and he can't be proactive rather than reactive? At least that is my impression based on the FB comments and the few statements via the media making an appeal for his wife. I mean, LE would certiainly approve something before it was 'media ready' if they felt something Scott wanted to share would harm the investigation. Why is this not happening? The man is an attorney, he is not stupid nor incapable of finding a family spokesperson if he is not up to it himself.

JMO

ETA: My apologies if the above post is harsh. I'm accustomed to seeing family beg for even the most minute bit of media coverage for their missing family member. Even if it is another family member acting as a spokesperson. I can understand if it is too difficult for Scot to do so himself, I really can..... however I can not understand being passive and reactive when ones spouse and the mother of his children or step children is missing. This is NO time to be passive and leave the entire case and information dependent on FB.

Here is some good info about pings.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/cellping.asp

Seems that if permission not granted for the phone records they would need to be subpeonas. Makes me wonder how good of reception ATT gets down in that area. God knows I can't even keep a call on my iphone, worst reception ever. Just something to think about.

There are some area with no reception down there or very poor reception. Also some with strong, if that is possible anywhere, sorry IM biased, drop more calls than can shake a stick at. Check this map out. I will work on a few others.. this is just to start.

Attachments

• coverage.png
    coverage.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 14
Here is some good info about pings.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/cellping.asp

Seems that if permission not granted for the phone records they would need to be subpeonas. Makes me wonder how good of reception ATT gets down in that area. God knows I can't even keep a call on my iphone, worst reception ever. Just something to think about.

Then why not say they the attempt was made but unsuccesful?

What would be a valid reason for not being able to obtain permission in this case and need to get a subpeona? Again, thinking back to John Spira's case. John went missing on a friday. His divorce was not finished and LE would not take a missing persons report from anyone other than his soon to be ex wife, who finally reported him missing Monday. (IIRC at the request of his family.) LE was able to obtain ping records in his case, even though his phone has never been found.

The whole can't get them, can't say why and don't ask why is hinky.

Do we know where the closest cell phone towers are in the area Beth went missing?

There are some area with no reception down there or very poor reception. Also some with strong, if that is possible anywhere, sorry IM biased, drop more calls than can shake a stick at. Check this map out. I will work on a few others.. this is just to start.

Thank you NSC. The thumb tack on the attached map. Is that one you added for the location of where Beth was staying in Mt. Vernon, or a thumb tack from the map indicating Mt. Vernon 'city limit's or a general middle of town basic thumb tack not user generated?

I'd like to see which area the reno home fell into on the map. (I'm not great at the map thing, so any help is appreciated!)

tia

From tarabulls post #245 above. My comments below in red.

Well then how about the short discussion on the how's and why's? Something that is standard in a missing persons investigation is somehow impossible for Beths case? What makes Beths case different than any other missing persons case that pinging, or triangulating her cell phone is a black and white not possible? :waitasec:

<snip>

Scott is not a 'computer guy'. He is an attorney and has other people doing the computer stuff. Also...Scott can hardly look at the posts because he...well...it is very, very hard. We all share all the good stuff with him. It is not imperative Scott involve himself via the computer. There are plenty of missing persons cases where family either communicates through the media making appeals for their missing family member, or has a family spokesperson to do thatfor them through the media. I do not believe Scott had any involvement in Beth's disappearance but the lack of any comment from himself or a spokesperson is troubling. By troubling I mean, there are plenty of missing persons organizations out there to assist the family and guide them. Why has Scott not reached out to any of these organizations to help direct and guide him with media relations and getting appropriate info to the public to help find his wife?

Why is Scott being portrayed as so fragile he can't cope and he can't be proactive rather than reactive? At least that is my impression based on the FB comments and the few statements via the media making an appeal for his wife. I mean, LE would certiainly approve something before it was 'media ready' if they felt something Scott wanted to share would harm the investigation. Why is this not happening? The man is an attorney, he is not stupid nor incapable of finding a family spokesperson if he is not up to it himself.

JMO

ETA: My apologies if the above post is harsh. I'm accustomed to seeing family beg for even the most minute bit of media coverage for their missing family member. Even if it is another family member acting as a spokesperson. I can understand if it is too difficult for Scot to do so himself, I really can..... however I can not understand being passive and reactive when ones spouse and the mother of his children or step children is missing. This is NO time to be passive and leave the entire case and information dependent on FB.

Just wondering, being a lawyer, wouldn't he have some connections to "work" for the sake of his lovely wife and his family!??

Beth's son's birthday is tomorrow.....wouldn't his mother's return be THE BEST PRESENT a kid could have?

Where are you Beth? You're family needs you!

I'll just butt in long enough to say that in another case, in Texas, LE insisted they could not look at the missing person's cell phone records without her permission, since she was an adult, until and unless it was deemed a criminal matter. So not sure how that works in Illinois or if it has been deemed as such. Her family was not allowed to speak for her to have records checked or car searched, etc.

I'll just butt in long enough to say that in another case, in Texas, LE insisted they could not look at the missing person's cell phone records without her permission, since she was an adult, until and unless it was deemed a criminal matter. So not sure how that works in Illinois or if it has been deemed as such. Her family was not allowed to speak for her to have records checked or car searched, etc.

I wonder what it takes then, at least in IL.
Beth is listed as ~endangered missing~ and as far as I know John Spira was never listed as endangered missing, just missing.

ETA: Even if Beth did rent the car and someone other than the person who rented the car returned it? That to me is concerning. I don't know many people that would allow another person to return a car they rented without them. too much of a liability imo.

We've had ATT for at least 18 years, and are in a fringe area. Calls still drop and fade in and out, and we are well within city limits. So we were amused when we looked at the map like this one for our own area. It shows as best. LOL. Good for getting people to sign up, good for PR, not necessarily the whole story. It's the best case scenario, IMO. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500