IL IL - Chicago, WhtMale UP6966, 38-55, on Lake Michigan breakwall, Apr'10

I would also suggest reading The Body Farm by Jefferson Bass, he created the first body farm to try to get a better idea about the rates of human decomposition for forensic studies. Good read. I think I got my copy for under $5 on amazon.

http://www.jeffersonbass.com/

I wonder if he was either of these guys?

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?se...88462&rss=rss-espnChicago-wls-article-6888462

Not sure if the little calumet river empties into Lake Michigan in the area the UID was found or not.

I came back to this thread because I still can't believe this guy has not been id'd. Thanks for the info on the Little Calumet possibly flowing into Lake Michigan mtrooper. I'm so glad you found that!

Of the 4 persons mentioned in the above article, two went into lake michigan and both both were recovered. One was alive at the time of the rescue according to the article and the other was not. Two persons went into the little calument and as of the time the article was written only one was recovered, however the second person that was not recovered is not named in the above article so we don't know who that is. I'm sure LE would have a record of that incident and know if the person was male or female and if they have since been recovered.

do you want to contact LE? I'm going to be unable to do so in the next few days, but it might be worth looking into.

From the same article originally posted by mtrooper and quoted in my last post.

The person who was lost in the little calumet river and not recovered at the time of the above article was lost at this area.
Little Calumet River at 127th and South Michigan

The john doe found at about 801 S Lake Shore Drive.

Can someone who is good at doing maps give us a map with those two locations? TIA

Another possibility is there is a missing persons report but it is not in any database and LE thinks this is someone missing willingly.

This is one of the UID's I keep wondering why he hasn't been id'd.

I just took another look at the NamUs case report and something jumped out at me. This UID's pant length is listed at 38". His ht is listed at 5'10" or 70". 38" pant length is really long for someone with a 5'10" ht. A friend of mine is 6'3" and wears a 34" pant length.

Unless that 38" pant length is a typo I wondered if perhaps this man is a transient. I know the expensive shoes, hear me out. If he had been residing somewhere along the North Shore it is very likely second hand stores would have more expensive name brand items based on their location to very wealthy communities.

We know a pant length was given so these were not possibly shorts as previously speculated. With the damage to the jeans he was in the water for some time, or at least tossed around enough to cause that much damage to the jeans.

The brand name of the jeans is listed as Levi's, not particularly an expensive 'designer' brand jean. While I don't shop for mens underwear or belts the prices on the Nautica brand underwear and belt don't look outrageously expensive to me.

I'm just wondering.... and thinking outloud. I'd imagine someone wearing a 38" length pant to be about 6'6"? Why the odd length on the pants in relation to the listed ht and can that tell us anything?

thoughts?

Someone is missing this guy..... Could he have lived on a house boat along the lake? Is there a way to search for any abandoned 'docked' boats that may have been repo'd? or ? I'd imagine if a family or someone was called about an abandoned boat and they couldn't locate the owner, even after months of not seeing him someone would have reported him missing.

Any idea's?

Maybe they meant 38" waist. That sounds more reasonable, and the UID appears to be fairly stocky but not excessively fat (i.e., consistent with a 38" waist)

TY Carl, that's probably it. The probably have the W and L reversed.

Wow, I have been so busy I completely forgot about this guy. I can't believe he hasn't been identified yet! I don't think he was homeless because he was wearing nautica underwear and nautica belt, both are fairly high end. He also had some expensive dental work done. I think I still have original namus pictures if anyone missed pictures of his teeth.

Could be someone that fell in one of the other Great Lakes, or a Canadian.

So I spoke with the ME's office today, I was trying to figure out if Mark Miller had been ruled out yet. No word on Mark Miller, but they did say that the UID was wearing pants that were WAY to long I think he said 38in., I guess they were cuffed up. Not sure if that helps. I will let you know if I get a call back on Mark Miller.

Lake Michigan has been busy claiming lives this year, 68 and counting.

So I spoke with the ME's office today, I was trying to figure out if Mark Miller had been ruled out yet. No word on Mark Miller, but they did say that the UID was wearing pants that were WAY to long I think he said 38in., I guess they were cuffed up. Not sure if that helps. I will let you know if I get a call back on Mark Miller.

Because the pants length appears to be accurate, is it possible that this person may have been a transient? I cannot imagine an individual willingly purchasing pants, especially mens pants that are in an odd length and exceptionally long on him. Being as he was found in a popular boating area, maybe he acquired/purchased these items from a Salvation Army or thrift store or got them as a donation at a homeless shelter. I would think that these brands would be more prevalent in thrifts stores in this area than say a midwest landlocked state. Just a thought...

I would also suggest reading The Body Farm by Jefferson Bass, he created the first body farm to try to get a better idea about the rates of human decomposition for forensic studies. Good read. I think I got my copy for under $5 on amazon.

http://www.jeffersonbass.com/

I work for LE in a civillian capacity. Every Tuesday and Thursday they fingerpint people in our office/room. One of the fingerprint technicians was a cop before being transfered to finger prints due to her condition (shes very pregnant). Last week she was talking about how difficult it is to fingerprint different types of people. One of the things she mentioned was a story during her internship involving a guy that had a heart attack while taking a bath. She said after a few weeks neighbors (nearest one being about a mile away as this was a rural area) reporting a very bad oder. She went to location and told us she could smell it a long ways away. To make a long story short the victims remains had turned into soup so they had to move the bathtub to get fingerprints etc). She went on to state that victims found in water (wet bloat) and victims found in arid conditions (desert, heated house/apartment) were difficult due to the overwhelming smell and difficulty getting a print.

Ruleouts as of 23 March 2014:

Steven Condon 1960 Arizona
Paul Harwood 1965 Oklahoma
Eugene Krause 1954 Illinois
John Spira 1961 Illinois
Jackie Urich 1958 Oklahoma

https://identifyus.org/cases/6966

The ink includes shots of where the body was found, but those offensive pictures have been removed.

Ruleouts as of January 12 2018 https://identifyus.org/cases/6966

The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:

First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Anthony Catalano 1975 Illinois
Steven Condon 1960 Arizona
Paul Harwood 1965 Oklahoma
Eugene Krause 1954 Illinois
John Spira 1961 Illinois
Jackie Urich 1958 Oklahoma
Christopher Winkler 1967 Wisconsin
Steve Woelfel 1966 Wisconsin

Exclusions as of 8 May 2020 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Mark Miller has been ruled out.

MP11837 Anthony Catalano 03/25/2009 Cook IL
MP11454 Andrew Chapman 12/08/2006 Franklin OH
MP3861 Steven Condon 09/01/2007 Maricopa AZ
MP7843 Paul Harwood 07/17/2009 Tulsa OK
MP20557 Eugene Krause 02/01/2009 Cook IL
MP5626 Mark Miller 03/12/2009 Adams IL
MP2374 John Spira 02/23/2007 DuPage IL
MP7552 Jackie Urich 07/12/1998 Adair OK
MP20595 Christopher Winkler 02/16/1987 Racine WI
MP776 Steve Woelfel 06/07/2004 Washington WI

Members online