Identified! IL - Cook Co, BlkMale, 20-30, Tats: Cleveland 216, Rubber City Boy 330, NFL, Jun'15 - Michael Rogers

Having worked in the criminal justice system in Akron for the past 29 years (and counting) I agree with you, Cook Co undoubtedly has contacted Akron to compare notes. Akron's Gang/Street Crime Unit is top notch. The amount of intelligence they've gathered on local gang members is mind boggling. I had an opportunity to attend numerous trainings put on by that unit. It used to be fairly easy to identify gang members by their associates, colors, flags, bandanas and tattoos all of which were meant to advertise their gang affiliation. Not so easy these days as members are getting smart and not "dressing" the part not only to conceal and deceive LEOs but also as a means of self preservation. The gang unit will be the first to tell you it is not so easy to identify the "wannabes" as gang members because "the group" may not even fit the criteria as being identified as a gang. Does that mean these kids aren't on the LEOs radar? No, not at all. I imagine you're aware that a lot of intel is gathered when an arrest is made. When booked into our local jail, photos are taken of all tattoos, gang affiliation is usually learned, especially if one gang member doesn't want to be housed in a rival's pod. Not so easy to identify those who run under the radar of law enforcement and have not been arrested. If Rubber City Boy avoided police contact/arrest it would shed light on why he is still a John Doe. Just my thought on it.
Who would you contact to check past inmates tattoos though?

Someone suggested a missing child from Ohio named John Nguyen as a possible match. I’ve looked and don’t see enough detail one way or the other to make a determination. Could anyone else check it out and give me your thoughts?

Please do not suggest sleuthing out this individual's identity in social media.

If it is the family's wish or LE's stance to not release the identity of the victim, then WS respects that position and does not condone encouraging others to sleuth out the identify.

Not sure if that post is aimed at me. The I posted is from the family, so clearly the family is okay with releasing the identity as they did so themselves. But I understand if sharing fundraising efforts is not allowed.

I can't believe it even needs to be said but DO NOT HARASS THE FAMILY!

Not sure if that post is aimed at me. The I posted is from the family, so clearly the family is okay with releasing the identity as they did so themselves. But I understand if sharing fundraising efforts is not allowed.

I can't believe it even needs to be said but DO NOT HARASS THE FAMILY!

I agree, it's a shame it even needs to be said to not harass the family but we have seen it happen on other unidentified cases where the family spoke out after the person was identified. And now many families ask for privacy.

I think the rules here say you have to ask Tricia for permission to post a go fund me page. She doesn't allow them most of the time. JMO.

I'm so glad this man has his identity back and can be given a proper memorial by his family. They must be hurting now so much at this shocking news. I pray they will have peace and comfort during this time.

Rest in Peace, Rubber City Boy. :(

I did want to mention that he was identified because someone saw a Facebook post with pictures of his tattoos and recognized him. This is great motivation for us to keep working and sharing information as far and wide as possible! Sometimes it is a matter of it reaching the right person. It doesn't matter how good you are at sleuthing, you can always do something to help!

I did want to mention that he was identified because someone saw a Facebook post with pictures of his tattoos and recognized him. This is great motivation for us to keep working and sharing information as far and wide as possible! Sometimes it is a matter of it reaching the right person. It doesn't matter how good you are at sleuthing, you can always do something to help!

Thanks for sharing how he was ID'd.
It adds to my belief that there can never be too much coverage on missing person and unidentified remains cases, cuz all it can take is that one person seeing it.

Can someone explain please? The John Doe/Rubber City Boy/etc. turned out to be a black man. Yes, black. Not white, not Asian as he was listed. In this case where they actually had a body, how did this happen?
There was no sleuthing, his name and picture are on the internet as posted by his grieving family. I do hope that they raise enough money to bring him home to Ohio, they are heartbroken and most likely still in shock. Not easy during Christmas holidays.

In reference to Sherwood's post.....

My first disappointment as wellafter spending a lot of time looking for someone Asian. The only thing I can figure is that he was found in water so they couldn't tell due to swelling or disfigurement or discoloring. Obviously their description was not based on DNA.

I generally don’t see how any real facial features could be pulled from his face. It’s pretty graphic but so everyone is aware as to why I feel this way, it appears that the photo that had his face in the background was purposefully darkened so the graphic nature of the pic wasn’t blatant. When I was going through and lightening the pics and adjusting colors in hopes of seeing better views of the tattoos I realized it. So when that photo is fully viewable you can see why I feel that way.

Next up at a certain point in decomposition the hair begins to fall out. There is no hair visible on his body. At first I assumed he was shaved prior to the photos however with the amount of insect activity still present on the skin I realized he wasn’t shaved. Likely lost due to decomp. So I would assume they either have another reason to say Asian or they are going based on skin tone. Which we all know isn’t the best way to determine things. I’m sure they are far more knowledgeable than me in making this determination, I’m just saying until we understand why that determination was made we need to keep our minds open.

One thing pointing towards Asian is we have all and a number of people outside of WS has put his images out there. I’m inclined to think he has been recognized but perhaps the family is here illegally and fear coming forward to claim him? Long shot but still in the realm of possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was shocked to see that he is actually black. I believed he was Asian because that's what they said. You mentioned the photos, I never looked at the photos you mentioned (the idea was too frightening), so it makes sense that you were hesitant to believe he was conclusively White/Asian, then Asian (which they finally settled on).
Great points that turned out to be correct Claireishere! A future lesson for when people are classified as Unidentified.
The person who did the forensic sketch did a good job, the facial features match the Identified except the skin colour/race.

It was discussed earlier in the thread, but you could see in the background of one of the tattoo pictures that his face was badly decomposed. They got his race wrong but IMO he still looks a lot like the recon

I didn't look at those pictures. Yes, incredibly the forensic sketch looks like the Identified. The artist did a good job.

Since I can't post the link, I'll just post some of the text and hopefully it'll give some people here closure. From the family:

"Her brother [NAME], a Navy Veteran, passed away 3 years ago. We only learned of this recently. He had been found near the Navy Pier in Chicago, having drowned for unknown reasons, and his body was unidentifiable. He had been separated from our family for many years, so no missing persons report had been filed for him. It was eventually categorized as a cold case.
This summer a Chicago coroner resumed the search for his identity, and after months of effort she finally was able to contact [SISTER], and help her identify him through DNA."

I wonder if we had anything to do with those renewed efforts by the coroner. I know I started looking at this case in April/May because of posts on here....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G@$p•
Back