IL IL - Debbie Fijan, 10, DuPage County, 11 Feb 1966 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping someone could clear this up for me.
I came across Debbie's Find-a-Grave page and under burial location it says.... "Burial:Body lost or destroyed".

Is this true?
I live in Kane County(a town or so over from West Chicago) and wanted to leave some flowers for this little girl.

Any information would be much appreciated.

I'm hoping someone could clear this up for me.
I came across Debbie's Find-a-Grave page and under burial location it says.... "Burial:Body lost or destroyed".

Is this true?
I live in Kane County(a town or so over from West Chicago) and wanted to leave some flowers for this little girl.

Here is the link: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=103755921

I think it is just all the way around wrong. It says "Cook County" on it which is not where she was found. She was found in DuPage, nowhere near the border of Cook/DuPage. Also, I don't think the color photo is of her. Seems to me the person who put this info in was misinformed.

Here is her burial information from her obit:

Chicago Tribune (IL) - February 13, 1966
Fijan
Deceased Name: Debbie Lou Fijan
Debbie Lou Fijan , age 10, of West Chicago, darling daughter of Jack and Marilyn; dear sister of Jackie, Sharon, Linda, Bobby; granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Jensen and Mr. and Mrs. Sam Fijan . Visitation after 3 p.m., Sunday, at the Leonard Memorial Home, 565 Duane street, Glen Ellyn. Funeral service Monday, 1:30 p.m., at chapel. Interment Irving Park cemetery. 469-0032.

I just read that a Racine County (WI) cold case was just solved after 17 years, and an arrest was made this past Saturday, 04/05/14, in the Palatine IL area. This was a young girl that was murdered back in 1997, and she was only 14 at the time. Congratulations to all the law enforcement officers, detectives, etc. that worked so hard on this case and never gave up. I know that there is still hope for Debbie and her family.

I just read that a Racine County (WI) cold case was just solved after 17 years, and an arrest was made this past Saturday, 04/05/14, in the Palatine IL area. This was a young girl that was murdered back in 1997, and she was only 14 at the time. Congratulations to all the law enforcement officers, detectives, etc. that worked so hard on this case and never gave up. I know that there is still hope for Debbie and her family.

That got me thinking about Debbie too. Though, I think LE knows who is responsible. They just do not have enough evidence to bring the case to trial. Debbie was not attacked and murdered by a stranger, she was murdered by someone she knew and trusted.

In the case of the 17 yr old from Palatine, I don't know if she knew her killer or not.

Here is her burial information from her obit:

Chicago Tribune (IL) - February 13, 1966
Fijan
Deceased Name: Debbie Lou Fijan
Debbie Lou Fijan , age 10, of West Chicago, darling daughter of Jack and Marilyn; dear sister of Jackie, Sharon, Linda, Bobby; granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Jensen and Mr. and Mrs. Sam Fijan . Visitation after 3 p.m., Sunday, at the Leonard Memorial Home, 565 Duane street, Glen Ellyn. Funeral service Monday, 1:30 p.m., at chapel. Interment Irving Park cemetery. 469-0032.

Thank you for this information. I don't know why I thought Debbie was buried in Wheaton. I guess I made that assumption when reading her family moved from Wheaton to West Chicago about a year before her murder.

Wow it seems if they just went back and reviewed the evidence, this case, would be solved.

Shofield sounds like a solid suspect.. did I see somewhere the friggin guy handed over a box with a dead baby in it ?

Wow it seems if they just went back and reviewed the evidence, this case, would be solved.

Shofield sounds like a solid suspect.. did I see somewhere the friggin guy handed over a box with a dead baby in it ?

He did and it was determined that he had no involvement with the baby in the box. I spoke with the coroner awhile back and there is no information on an unidentified infant/newborn, so that case must have been solved or the records got lost.

LE is reviewing the case. I've spoken and met with them a few times over the last few years.

I'd like to know if photograph's were taken of all suspects interviewed and if any had wounds Debbie may have left trying to defend herself. Scratches, bruises......

I'd also like to know if the feathers found in LS's trunk were determined to be from the show and tell duck/goose Debbie brought to school, or if they were from LS's family farm?

I still think it is inexplicable that LS refused to tell LE what route he took home the day of Debbie's murder. That really raises questions.

I still have faith justice will come for Debbie. It's never too late to come forward with the truth or any information that may assist LE with solving this case.

He did and it was determined that he had no involvement with the baby in the box. I spoke with the coroner awhile back and there is no information on an unidentified infant/newborn, so that case must have been solved or the records got lost.

LE is reviewing the case. I've spoken and met with them a few times over the last few years.

I'd like to know if photograph's were taken of all suspects interviewed and if any had wounds Debbie may have left trying to defend herself. Scratches, bruises......

I'd also like to know if the feathers found in LS's trunk were determined to be from the show and tell duck/goose Debbie brought to school, or if they were from LS's family farm?

I still think it is inexplicable that LS refused to tell LE what route he took home the day of Debbie's murder. That really raises questions.

I still have faith justice will come for Debbie. It's never too late to come forward with the truth or any information that may assist LE with solving this case.

I've also wondered about some of the above. In addition:

It still appears to me (pure speculation) that LS was using some sort of "reverse psychology" - when questioned back then (e.g. claiming he was "sick and needed help", dumping Debbie's body so close to her home, showing up at her funeral). If another individual murdered Debbie, why would he/she have dumped her so close to where she was picked up?? Vast amount of undeveloped property in this area back in the 60's. Again, speculation. Though very sad, her family was able to get a certain degree of "closure" since she was found so quickly; as opposed to cold cases without a body that can cause so much pain & suffering for families for decades.

I'd still like to know who was serving on the school board at the time LS was hired at Benjamin? Influence? The same would apply to the individuals that served on the Grand Jury. Why can't someone get a "court order" to have these records opened. Most likely, all these people that served on the GJ are dead(?). More influence and/or favoritism to LS because of his father's position, mother's maiden name (Klein). Other "aspirations that JS may have had? Promises made? COVER UP? Again, pure speculation.

I'd also like to know how LS's youngest daughter died at such an early age? I think she's buried in the same cemetery as LS's wife and mother(?).

I've also wondered about some of the above. In addition:

It still appears to me (pure speculation) that LS was using some sort of "reverse psychology" - when questioned back then (e.g. claiming he was "sick and needed help", dumping Debbie's body so close to her home, showing up at her funeral). If another individual murdered Debbie, why would he/she have dumped her so close to where she was picked up?? Vast amount of undeveloped property in this area back in the 60's. Again, speculation. Though very sad, her family was able to get a certain degree of "closure" since she was found so quickly; as opposed to cold cases without a body that can cause so much pain & suffering for families for decades.

I'd still like to know who was serving on the school board at the time LS was hired at Benjamin? Influence? The same would apply to the individuals that served on the Grand Jury. Why can't someone get a "court order" to have these records opened. Most likely, all these people that served on the GJ are dead(?). More influence and/or favoritism to LS because of his father's position, mother's maiden name (Klein). Other "aspirations that JS may have had? Promises made? COVER UP? Again, pure speculation.

I'd also like to know how LS's youngest daughter died at such an early age? I think she's buried in the same cemetery as LS's wife and mother(?).

I can answer some of these questions. IMO, the reason for the comment about being sick and needing help had to do with the guilt of viewing *advertiser censored*. Though, that is just conjecture. There is a whole lot more to that story than we know.....

I go back to thinking about not giving LE the route he drove home, and wondering if it might be because it could have been proven there was no adult magazine where he claimed he found one on the street? Then again, if one could clear oneself, why would concern over a magazine be given precedence over the murder of one of his students.

IDK about influence in the hiring of LS as a teacher. His wife was a teacher and I seem to think they met through their interest in teaching.

His young daughter drowned on her birthday. I think it happened in a back yard pool. Very sad.

Illinois Grand Jury information is not available through the FOIA.

I want this case solved SO badly. the wheels of justice turn slowly.

The feathers were not from the family farm. I have all the articles on my other laptop but its not working right now. I know it is posted somewhere on the first thread.

I think this is the post you were referring to Abbey5:

Originally posted by Abbey5-

Well, I read an article in the Daily Herald (Chicago) Feb. 17, 1966 that finally gave more answers to the white car. A witness stated he had seen a girl he believed to be Debbie talking to a man in a white car matching the description of Schofield's car. There you go Cubbby, it was Schofield's car.

This article also answered another question. Hopf reported that when Schofield was requested Monday to bring in the clothes he wore on Friday, he and his wife Mary Ann, were found to have switched the clothes. I wish they would have stated how they knew this and if they did anything about it.

During the first polygraph test that Schofield took he reacted strongly when confronted with a mounted duck that Debbie had taken to school on Friday for show and tell. This mounted duck was found along with her books near her body. I had never heard about this duck before. But I remember reading an article that said feathers were found in Schofields car and wondered what the heck that meant.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - IL IL - Debbie Fijan, age 10, abducted and murdered in DuPage County, Feb 1966 - #1

I will try and get a copy of the article, but I don't recall reading it was confirmed the feathers in LS's trunk matched those on the mounted duck Debbie brought to school for show and tell.

Here is what I can find on the article without a subscribtion:

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/44561556/

Lots to read in there and kind of rough reading, but one can make it out.

From the above article it looks like LS was was arrested based on his statements and LE admitted not yet having physical evidence.

Lot's of questions now on the testing that was done of Debbie's clothing. Gotta think about this some more and come back to it.

I can answer some of these questions. IMO, the reason for the comment about being sick and needing help had to do with the guilt of viewing *advertiser censored*. Though, that is just conjecture. There is a whole lot more to that story than we know.....

I go back to thinking about not giving LE the route he drove home, and wondering if it might be because it could have been proven there was no adult magazine where he claimed he found one on the street? Then again, if one could clear oneself, why would concern over a magazine be given precedence over the murder of one of his students.

IDK about influence in the hiring of LS as a teacher. His wife was a teacher and I seem to think they met through their interest in teaching.

His young daughter drowned on her birthday. I think it happened in a back yard pool. Very sad.

Illinois Grand Jury information is not available through the FOIA.

I want this case solved SO badly. the wheels of justice turn slowly.

Thank you Cubby. I still think that Debbie must have witnessed something that LS was doing at school (all sleuther's use your own imagination) and told LS that she was going to report it. Yes, speculation and conjecture on my part. LS just had too much to protect and risk if he would have allowed Debbie to "report" this (e.g. family name, "respect" in the community, father's position, etc.). I still don't understand why Grand Jury info. is not available through FOIA; especially after 48 years. My question to this is meant with no disrespect to your comment above Cubby. I understand the intent of the law, but don't understand at the same time - if that makes any sense.

I didn't take your comment(s) as anything other than your opinion. The more eyes on this case the better. The more idea's the better chance of finding new info.

Bouncing off your post, Kayo, I get stuck on the reasons LS & MS switched the clothing they gave LE. In addition to refusing to share the route home.

On the note of clothes. The article mentioned Debbie's clothes were bagged with other items belonging to her. I hope that evidence still exists and that it has been sent to the lab to be checked again with current technology. There is always that possibility the perps DNA is on Debbie's clothing, in a manner which can not be explained away in any manner other than her murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damnthatsux