IL IL - Debbie Fijan, 10, DuPage County, 11 Feb 1966 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently read the obit. of JS, LS's older brother who passed away in 2004 (Mineral, IL). Is this the brother that was with LS and their father when LS was initially incarcerated in 1966? If I recall, LS was told by his father to "keep his mouth shut". I was aware that LS had other brothers, but not a sister M(S)W who also lived in Mineral in 2004. LS's wife and JS's wife were sisters (?) if I'm interpreting this correctly? Some of this might be "old news" to many of you, or it may have been posted previously. Sorry for my "oversight. One search led to another, and I found out the following about "monies" that were paid out to some of the Schofield's by EWG (Environmental Working Group) Farm Subsidies Bureau County - Mineral, IL. LS of KC, Missouri (revocable trustee?) received approx. $19K between 1995-2012. JS of Mineral, IL (revocable trustee?) received approx. $10K between 1995-2012. Andrew W. of Mineral, IL received approx. $129K between 1995-2012. I'm not sure if this is a nephew of LS? Just Google EWG Farm Subsidies Bureau County if interested. Additional information that I recently obtained that might also be "old news", but interesting nonetheless, is that the JS "family farm" (91 acres) at Lies & Fair Oaks was purchased by the DPC Forest Preserve in 1976 for $650,000.00. This property had been given to JS and his wife Edna(Klein) in the late 50's/early 60's if I recall. JS had a great deal to protect when Debbie was murdered in Feb./1966 (i.e. his position as Highway Commissioner, the "history/influence" of his father-in-law in and around the community, etc.) I have become more and more frustrated with each passing day. There has to be people "out there" that know something about Debbie's death. Unfortunately, they're taking any information they might have "to their graves". Does anyone know the costs to hire a PI?

Thinking of Debbie.

It's never too late to do the right thing. Someone has information which will help solve this case. Do the right thing and contact the DuPage County Sheriff's office with any tips, big or small. You never know what small bit of information may be just what is needed to see to it that justice is served and a family gets the answers they deserve.

It's never ever too late to do the right thing. Do it, do it now. :praying:

Any "sleuth's" out there that might have a friend or contact/contributor at one of the local, regional, or community newspapers? T.V. reporter and station that might want to run a story on Debbie? I realize that subscription rates have declined as a result of 21st century technology and how people get their news, but yet many people still enjoy the paper. Quite possibly, a contributor to a paper could write an article about Debbie's unsolved case; using some of the old newspaper articles (i.e. her death in 02/66, where found, etc., etc., etc.). I think that Websleuths is a valuable source for input and ideas, and I am aware of Debbie's Facebook site; however, I still wonder how much work is being done by the DPCS's office. I'm sure they are extremely busy with other cases, and I will try to remain optimistic that Debbie's case will get solved. If this was brought up in another post (newspaper article, T.V.), my oversight. I'll just have to "plead ignorance".

The Sheriff's position is up for election in early November. I'm curious to see if we get a new sheriff (who was previously sheriff years ago) what kind of interest he shows in cold cases.

I'm just kind of in a waiting mode, to see what if anything happens should we get a new(old) sheriff.

In the mean time, I've given some more thought to LS's refusal to give a straight answer regarding his route home the day of Debbie's murder. I have to consider the possibility the refusal was strictly to cover up the fact that he lied about finding the *advertiser censored* on the street and didn't want kids to see it. But then, when it was learned the *advertiser censored* was not found on the street, but rather was in his desk, why not give the route home?

To this day, I don't know that the truth has ever come out about the route he took home.

So many unanswered questions which really don't make sense for a person not involved to hide.

Dittos, and thank you Cubby. I'll be anxious for the election results next week. I couldn't agree with you more about "a person not involved to hide", and for so long. Does anyone else think there may have been a "cover-up" back then? Not necessarily the DPCSO. Grand jury participants?

Went to an event across the street from Debbie's school tonight. Always think of her when I go there.

Thinking of Debbie on what should have been her 58th birthday.

The answers are out there.

For nothing is secret that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not become known and come to light. Luke 8:17

"Those we love don't go away, they walk beside us every day. Unseen, unheard, but always near; still loved, still missed and very dear". Missing, and thinking about Debbie on her birthday.

I was 9 when I started at Benjamin School - late November, early December 1964. As some of you might know, starting a new school at a young age is never easy; especially when you're starting late, and new friends had already been made in our small class of 15-17 students. Besides starting late, I wore glasses ("4 eyes") and was teased a few times. No big deal, I don't think we called it bullying back then. I didn't forget you JM if you're reading this.

Debbie was the first student to introduce herself to me, and she also gave me a short tour of the school. It was like we became instant friends, and she helped make my transition to Benjamin go much smoother. LS was our 4th grade teacher; although if I recall from a previous post, someone had posted that LS taught 6th/7th, or 7th/8th +Phy. Ed. I certainly didn't excel in 4th grade, and I have (not sure why) my report card from LS to prove it - HA! I probably should have been held back. Don't ask me what compelled my parents to save my Benjamin School report cards.

When we moved out of the area, I thought that Debbie's case had been solved. "Ignorance was bliss" for so many years, until I found WS. There are very few days that go by that I don't think about Debbie, the why this/why that, what if, when will her killer be caught, and when can her family (parents still living?), relatives, and friends finally have some peace. It's very sad to think that her case has not been resolved, and it will be 49 years this upcoming 02/11/15 since she has been gone. I hope that everyone continues to keep Debbie in your hearts and prayers.

Does anyone know if Debbie's case has been brought to the attention of the DA in the last 3-5 years? This may have been discussed or brought up in a previous WS post. Any thoughts that any of you might have would be appreciated. I'm not sure if writing a letter to the DA, and copying the DPC Sheriff's Office would be an "exercise in futility" or not. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

I was 9 when I started at Benjamin School - late November, early December 1964. As some of you might know, starting a new school at a young age is never easy; especially when you're starting late, and new friends had already been made in our small class of 15-17 students. Besides starting late, I wore glasses ("4 eyes") and was teased a few times. No big deal, I don't think we called it bullying back then. I didn't forget you JM if you're reading this.

Debbie was the first student to introduce herself to me, and she also gave me a short tour of the school. It was like we became instant friends, and she helped make my transition to Benjamin go much smoother. LS was our 4th grade teacher; although if I recall from a previous post, someone had posted that LS taught 6th/7th, or 7th/8th +Phy. Ed. I certainly didn't excel in 4th grade, and I have (not sure why) my report card from LS to prove it - HA! I probably should have been held back. Don't ask me what compelled my parents to save my Benjamin School report cards.

When we moved out of the area, I thought that Debbie's case had been solved. "Ignorance was bliss" for so many years, until I found WS. There are very few days that go by that I don't think about Debbie, the why this/why that, what if, when will her killer be caught, and when can her family (parents still living?), relatives, and friends finally have some peace. It's very sad to think that her case has not been resolved, and it will be 49 years this upcoming 02/11/15 since she has been gone. I hope that everyone continues to keep Debbie in your hearts and prayers.

I'm not sure why I am just seeing this now, but I am. FWIW, my parents saved my report cards too. I can't help but wonder if any dna remains on that report card that might be of benefit to this case and if the detectives working Debbie's case would be interested in having it tested. No stone left unturned.

Thank you so much for sharing your memories of Debbie with us.

Does anyone know if Debbie's case has been brought to the attention of the DA in the last 3-5 years? This may have been discussed or brought up in a previous WS post. Any thoughts that any of you might have would be appreciated. I'm not sure if writing a letter to the DA, and copying the DPC Sheriff's Office would be an "exercise in futility" or not. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

I have spoken to and met with one of the detectives working Debbie's case. It never occured to me to ask when they last discussed this case with the DA. I think a letter would be well worth it. It never hurts to let the authorities know people are still seeking a resolution to this case. A letter is an excellent idea, especially as we approach the 49th anniversary of Debbie's unsolved murder.

btw, I would love to hear more stories from those who remember Debbie. You are welcome to join us here or email me at cubbyatwebsleuths.com (change at to @ in address)
No tip is ever too small!

New DNA technique may reveal face of killer in unsolved double murder:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/19/new-dna-technique-could-put-face-on-unsolved-double-murder/

Very interesting technology. Apparently if the authorities have DNA of a killer and it doesn't get a hit in a data base, this company can take the dna and create a profile of what the killer may look like.

I would love if the authorities in DuPage would use this to help with their unsolved cases, including Debbie's. Fascinating article, well worth the read.

~ Still here, keeping the hope alive and praying the answers are soon to be revealed ~

TCO

I'm not sure why I am just seeing this now, but I am. FWIW, my parents saved my report cards too. I can't help but wonder if any dna remains on that report card that might be of benefit to this case and if the detectives working Debbie's case would be interested in having it tested. No stone left unturned.

Thank you so much for sharing your memories of Debbie with us.

Thank you Cubby for your response to my post regarding report cards. I spoke briefly with one of the detectives from the DPCSO in July of 2012 that was involved with Debbie's case, and offered to forward my 4th grade report card to the DPCSO for the same reason you suggested. There was not a great deal of interest at the time. Since then, the detective and I have exchanged phone calls/voice mail messages; the last one being on or about 02/28/14. I continue to keep Debbie and her family in my heart and prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DirtyV53