IL IL - Dermot Kelly, 16, Oglesby, Jan 1972

A couple of additional thoughts:

I think he took off his jacket so he could more easily line up a shot to the heart.

I think he took off his boots as a final act of defiance against his father, who had told him to wear warm boots.

Update!

I MAY have found at least one other picture of Dermot from his school years online. A Saint Bede Academy 1971 yearbook. If you go to this page here:

http://www.classmates.com/yearbooks...=1971&city=peru&state=il&searchScope=yearbook

Dermot's name is listed twice. One is a class picture, but it's so blurry I can't get to it. The first one says a partial list, seemingly saying "Dermot Kelly.....working on an economics assignment." If you click on the picture, I was able to blow it up with photo editing software and it seems to be him.

I have always been fascinated and saddened by Dermot's case, we finally might have a picture of him other than his sad-faced missing photo. I am about 70% sure that it is him. Somebody would have to buy the yearbook to know for sure. Everything about him is so rare that we finally might have something new.

I have added the image.

Satch

Attachments

• Possible Dermot Image.jpg
    Possible Dermot Image.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 73
Hi Satch, Dermots case has been discussed in other area's of the forum, but after checking he didn't have his own missing persons thread. I'll update this one so he can have his own thread here.

Dermot's Doenetwork link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3dmil.html

Dermot's Charley Project link:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kelly_dermot.html

Bumping.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3dmil.html
attachment.php
attachment.php

age-progressed to 60 yrs at right.
Name: Dermot Faulkner Kelly
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: January 30, 1972
Location Last Seen: LaSalle, La Salle County, Illinois

Physical Description

Date of Birth: July 27, 1955
Race: White
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 150 lbs.
Hair Color: Blond/Strawberry
Eye Color: Blue

Attachments

• 3DMIL.jpg
    3DMIL.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 3DMIL1.jpg
    3DMIL1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 265
Is it just me? Or is the resemblance uncanny?

(The article about the 2 newly released renderings of unidentified John Wayne Gacy victims showed up on my feed. It is only a day or two old and was posted in July of 2018)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180724-135955.png
    Screenshot_20180724-135955.png
    356.6 KB · Views: 48
Wow that’s an amazing resemblance

I am not getting that same vibe at all. There was a case of a serial killer whom I can't remember, but he was shot in August of 1973, and there is a picture of a young man handcuffed to a bed who's hair looked EACTLY like Dermot's. I got chills looking at that photo. Someone can maybe help with this information, I don't think that it is Dermot. And I think that the youth in the photo remains UID.

I can say with 100% certainty that Dermot was not a Gacy victim. Dermot left an ultra-conservative homelike, run by an abusive and hot-tempered gun-ho military father, because as a free-spirited, philosopher, Hippie-Movement follower, likely anti-war activist, and liberal thinker, his views constantly clashed with his domineering father.

I believe that the "Medical Treatment" that Dermot received in Chicago, ninety miles from Oglesby, was "Corrective Conforming Behavior" at his father's demands. These kids were often given drugs or shock treatments to conform to a parent's way of thinking. Look up "Mind Control Behavior" It was very controversial.

This broke Dermot down to the point of no return. He said his goodbyes in saying "I intend to make a new life on my own and do it completely on my own." to distance himself from the family. Mentioning going out to do target shooting, was a ploy so that he could not be followed. Not that his Dad would care. Dermot was a rebel to him anyway.

I believe that to find peace, Dermot choose to commit suicide and to kill himself at the river so that his body would not be found, by taking off his clothes to reduce the weight from his jacket and boots. He walked out to the river bank, took off his jacket and boots. (To get a clear shot to his heart.) He shot himself in the chest, pushing himself into the water after he fired, as the gun sank below. The scope coming loose because of the current.

By the time the divers and search teams had been brought in to help find Dermot, he had long been swept away. They stopped searching before the end of the week when a barge had gone through, destroying any chance of finding any additional evidence. Dermot Kelly has been in the river since that January 30, 1972 afternoon to early evening. Sadly, I believe he died that day.

Satch

This Does story could match. Any way to find out if West Virginia has submitted their cases to CODIS(NamUs doesnt give a ME/C review date either) and does anyone know where Dermot was born ?
3121UMWV

This Does story could match. Any way to find out if West Virginia has submitted their cases to CODIS(NamUs doesnt give a ME/C review date either) and does anyone know where Dermot was born ?
3121UMWV

Dermot was born July 27, 1955. He was 16 1/2 years old when left home in 1972. He always lived in Oglesby, Illinois, which is about ninety miles outside of Chicago.

Satch

Dermot was born July 27, 1955. He was 16 1/2 years old when left home in 1972. He always lived in Oglesby, Illinois, which is about ninety miles outside of Chicago.

Satch
It could be possible that he made up a story to the person that picked him up. He was heading away from Chicago. Fits what description there is (as i'm not convinced about the Blond hair, blue eyes part). Worth a shot to submit?

It could be possible that he made up a story to the person that picked him up. He was heading away from Chicago. Fits what description there is (as i'm not convinced about the Blond hair, blue eyes part). Worth a shot to submit?

I think Dermot is still in the river. ALL the evidence is there of a drowning and/or suicide.

Satch

It's been a while since I've heard of this case & honestly I never knew much to start with. I'm not defending his father because I again don't know the entire situation but I do want to say as a parent there are times you love your child dearly and they hurt you deeply by leaving ( I had 1 that would run away) and sometimes it makes you seem like a cold person because the hurt is so deep but I think it's more of a subconscious defense maybe on both sides. I have more than 1 child and have good relationships w/them but the one that ran away blames me for everything wrong in her life. Yes some I'm guilty of but some it's just hurt between us talking. I love her as much as the others & I worry more about her than the others but we have a volatile relationship at times. Maybe Dermot leaving hurt him deeply & more than he told anyone (many men will not admit to hurt) and maybe that's how he dealt w/it. Right or wrong we all deal w/things differently. Maybe he was an a$$ or maybe it was just a relationship like mine and this 1 child.
I hope I'm not speaking out of place. My daughter and I were arguing earlier so it just reached out to me.

((Crystal72)) Thank you for this. I agree and have experienced something quite similar. I've not read much about Dermot's case. I just stumbled upon this thread while looking at another case. Anyways, I just needed to let you know that your point is valid and I appreciate you posting your thoughts, especially this..."sometimes it makes you seem like a cold person because the hurt is so deep but I think it's more of a subconscious defense"

((Crystal72)) Thank you for this. I agree and have experienced something quite similar. I've not read much about Dermot's case. I just stumbled upon this thread while looking at another case. Anyways, I just needed to let you know that your point is valid and I appreciate you posting your thoughts, especially this..."sometimes it makes you seem like a cold person because the hurt is so deep but I think it's more of a subconscious defense"

Good point, but I have it from good authority that Mr, Kelly was abusive long before Dermot left. One of the reasons why Dermot left was because of his father's abuse and too strict authority. Everything about Mr, Kelly was a violation from the life that Dermot sought, that's why he had to get out of that environment. If Mr. Kelly had not been an angry bitter man toward Dermot before he left and the pain of Dermot gone made him like that (no problems before that), the above would be more valid. Let's say that the father was not a nice person.

Satch

Good point, but I have it from good authority that Mr, Kelly was abusive long before Dermot left. One of the reasons why Dermot left was because of his father's abuse and too strict authority. Everything about Mr, Kelly was a violation from the life that Dermot sought, that's why he had to get out of that environment. If Mr. Kelly had not been an angry bitter man toward Dermot before he left and the pain of Dermot gone made him like that (no problems before that), the above would be more valid. Let's say that the father was not a nice person.

Satch

Thanks, Satch. I certainly hope this doesn't come across as insensitive or rude but multiple times you've made your point in regards to Dermot's case. I was agreeing with Crystal in a general sense. She said "I'm not defending his father because I again don't know the entire situation but I do want to say as a parent there are times..." What she said is valid. It's not necessarily relevant to this case (in your opinion) but it's valid and real for her.

I'll take your word and the word from the "good authority" you've mentioned that Dermot's dad was abusive. That still doesn't explain what happened to Dermot or where he went or is currently. I have no clue or hunches and certainly no evidence of what may have happened to Dermot. Quite frankly, none of us have anything substantial and/or concrete to use to deduce that he is certainly deceased in a body of water. Until then it might behoove us to continue searching and researching other possibilities in regards to his disappearance.

Thanks for your comment and emotional dedication to Dermot's case! I pray this case gets solved soon.

3121UMWV

Yes, Nate, it's worth a shot. (IMO) What's the worse that can happen if it's not him? He becomes a rule out and we keep looking. You've got my support, if that matters to you. ;):)

Yes, Nate, it's worth a shot. (IMO) What's the worse that can happen if it's not him? He becomes a rule out and we keep looking. You've got my support, if that matters to you. ;):)

Checked the UID. Although I am 100% sure that is not Dermot, I agree that anything out there could be submitted for an official "rule" out. I would love the river searched more than anything else!

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back