IL IL - Dermot Kelly, 16, Oglesby, Jan 1972

Bumping up for Dermot in the hope that someday, he will be found safe, and that the ordeal of not knowing where he is will be over. This is one of those cases that I think about often, and it really haunts me.

And Dermot, if you are out there, I hope you are living in peace, happiness, and love.

Satch

Thank you for the article parakeet. It was heartbreaking to read. Clearly Dermots family loves him deeply. Reading this, knowing Dermot was a young man of only 19 when the article was written and how his family was so desperate for not only answers, but to let Dermot know -regardless of which path he chose in life - he would always be welcomed and accepted.

Fast forward to 2010. The availablity of the internet and the hurdles of an article such as above being seen by Dermot 35 or so years ago. It makes me think, if Dermot is out there somewhere.. He is a grown man now and has made his path in life..... I so pray, if he is out there, he would reach out to someone letting folks know he is ok, even if he wishes to keep his contact info private-which he can certainly do legally. There is no crime in starting a new life as an adult...

Praying you are alive, well, and out there somewhere Dermot. Praying if you are, you will consider making contact with Oglesby LE, or even your local police department so they can notify Oglesby you are alive and well and close your case. God Bless you where ever you are Dermot, you are not forgotten.

Thank you for the article parakeet. It was heartbreaking to read. Clearly Dermots family loves him deeply. Reading this, knowing Dermot was a young man of only 19 when the article was written and how his family was so desperate for not only answers, but to let Dermot know -regardless of which path he chose in life - he would always be welcomed and accepted.

Fast forward to 2010. The availablity of the internet and the hurdles of an article such as above being seen by Dermot 35 or so years ago. It makes me think, if Dermot is out there somewhere.. He is a grown man now and has made his path in life..... I so pray, if he is out there, he would reach out to someone letting folks know he is ok, even if he wishes to keep his contact info private-which he can certainly do legally. There is no crime in starting a new life as an adult...

Praying you are alive, well, and out there somewhere Dermot. Praying if you are, you will consider making contact with Oglesby LE, or even your local police department so they can notify Oglesby you are alive and well and close your case. God Bless you where ever you are Dermot, you are not forgotten.

Thank You Parakeet for the article, and Cubby for your wonderful responses! I too hope and pray that Dermot is out there and has found happiness within himself and maybe someday will let those who care deeply about him know where he is. There is nothing wrong with starting a new life and Dermot may have choosen the best set of circumstances he knew in dealing with the turmoil he say at home.

Stunned that the article brought home what I had mentioned before about the conflicting value systems between Dermot's family, homelife, the Acadamy, and his friends who may have pressured him in so many directions. I can't imagine the pain that this teen, looking for answers, looking for peace and love may have had to go through!

Dermot, if you are out there and have found happiness, I hope the journey's in your life are pleasant, uplifing, and inspiring! We care about you deeply and pray that you are safe and happy!

I wish there was some way to contact LE to find out if Dermot's case is still open, because if not, it needs to be to bring closure to this case! The fear of the unknown is so anxiety-producing, so tramatizing. I wish this case could be brought to the attention of media today. Because today the resources and technologies are so vast and allows for greater dilligence in persuing missing persons. In contrast, back in 1972, Dermot's story may have tragically been reduced to a local news segment.

Dermot needs to know that there are people who love him and care about him and just want a message from him that he is safe. If he is happy in his new life, we aren't asking him to change that. Coming back into a new word after almost 40 years may be too hard for him. Dermot, if you have choosen to remain isolated, you have that right to privacy, but find a way to reach out to someone if you can and let them know that you are OK.

We would be favinated by your story and journey's through life and time. Your a wonderful person Dermot, and I will think about your case and whereabouts for the rest of my life. We miss you!

Satch

Thank you Satch. ~Hugs.

For the heck of it I did a few searches on Dermot Kelly's. Just when I think a name is not so common I learn something new. Not only the actor but there are many many FB listings for Dermot Kelly's. A quick look appeared more are outside the states but even people searches within the states list quite a few. I had tried looking for someone a few years old, thinking Dermot might have changed his birth year to be 18 or so rather than 16 but nothing stood out.

And Satch, there is that something about Dermot.... He looks like such a nice person. Someone who would be very interesting to get to know. I do hope he is out there somewhere... and if he is, just because his parents are no longer with us I do hope he would not dismiss the thought of making contact to let people know he is ok just because his parents are no longer her. He is still missed and cared about deeply.

Thank you Satch. ~Hugs.

For the heck of it I did a few searches on Dermot Kelly's. Just when I think a name is not so common I learn something new. Not only the actor but there are many many FB listings for Dermot Kelly's. A quick look appeared more are outside the states but even people searches within the states list quite a few. I had tried looking for someone a few years old, thinking Dermot might have changed his birth year to be 18 or so rather than 16 but nothing stood out.

And Satch, there is that something about Dermot.... He looks like such a nice person. Someone who would be very interesting to get to know. I do hope he is out there somewhere... and if he is, just because his parents are no longer with us I do hope he would not dismiss the thought of making contact to let people know he is ok just because his parents are no longer her. He is still missed and cared about deeply.

Thanks!

Yea, Dermot just seems like such a cool person! Could you imagine the stories he could tell everyone of his experiences in his life's journeys!!? I just pray and hope that they aren't stories of sadness and mistreatment. That feeling that something bad might have happened to him, comes from my fear of the unknown. This just sounds like such a wonderful kid and great humanitarian! Please Dermot, be safe!!!!!

What does everyone feel that the odds are that he is still alive and is OK? We just need a sign of that, some closure. I mean, wouldn't it be great if Dermot went out in his new life and became like a peace activist or something? Or maybe a counselor for troubled people? Telling his stories of courage and determination all these years? Could you imagine the joy of Dermot Kelley coming back home all these years with all he went through and the stories that he could tell people?

It could really be an inspiration for many people. But I still think it is very sad in all these years for Dermot to have not contracted anyone. That is what is so devastating! But I think it is so moving and beautiful that we learned from the article that no matter what happens, when Dermot comes back, he will be welcomed at anytime. Sadly, his parents are no longer living, but I am sure that their words of comfort will be reflected in the hereafter. As long as Dermot knows that he will always be loved and supported whenever he wants to come home.

I have a question though, let's say that Dermot wanted to change his Social Security number, I mean, can missing persons do that? And if for some reason he did not want to be found, wouldn't a social security number, even if changed, provide some clues as to his whereabouts? (i.e voting, schools, property deeds?) What about Passport Information if Dermot chose to leave the country? How would he go about changing his name if he wanted to do that?

I am also interested in what was found from Dermot's DNA and on what items of evidence was it tested and shown to be his? Than this could be matched up to some other clues of evidence as to where he may have gone. I wish part 2 of the article would have gone into more information about what the psychics found! That was interesting!

Thanks everyone! And Dermot, our hearts go out to you. We are here to help, and will never stop caring about you!

Satch

Hey everyone,

Is there a way that we could find out Dermot's social security number to use this as a reference point to see when it was used last? Maybe some communication with the detective assigned to Dermot's case would help. But that might be privileged information, I don't know.

I mean, if his SS number has been used in recent years, I think it would indicate that he is still out there. If it has not been used in many years, or worse, since he disappeared, we may be looking at a potentially tragic situation.

I have often wondered, how long a person could go without using their SS number? Could they change this number if they wanted to do so?

What do you all think about this?

With the holidays here, I have a special place in my heart for Dermot and really hope that there is a way that if he is out there, he will make contact with those who love him and miss him.

Satch

Thinking of Dermot this Christmas. Hoping that he is out there, safe and happy!

Sadly, I found out that his Father passed away in October, 2003 in his nineties. What a heartbreaking and trying ordeal he must have faced till his dying day, not knowing what happened to his son.

I wish I was wrong, but I believe his Mother is deceased as well. However, I have no date of death for her. It is so painful to try to comprehend what this poor family has gone through and continues to go through. How do you put that into words? You can't. It's impossible.

Maybe, I am expecting too much of a Christmas miracle that Dermot may be found safe after almost 40 years vanishing into empty air. I am still hoping for that miracle, and I will continue to hope and pray for his safe return home!

At this point, I would just be thrilled of a sign of hope, ANYTHING that would show that Dermot is still out there, and that he is OK.

Thanks everybody, and hope you are all having a great Holiday season!

Satch

(((Satch))) God Bless you for staying strong for Dermots cause.

Wherever he is this Christmas, almost 40 years later he knows he is not forgotten.

hugs
Cubby

I wish we had the address of Dermot's parents' house at the time of his disappearance. I'd like to see how close it is in proximity to the river. Never mind, 817 Swift, Oglesby, IL.

I'm really thinking sadly that Dermot committed suicide, and that the storyline about him starting a new life somewhere, was just his way of distancing from the family. Did they ignore him after he said it? Seems like a parent would have said something to further engage their child.

Dermot looks like a sensitive young man, and I'm thinking if his family or father was harsh on him, verbally, he may have sunk into a depression, and been there for sometime. When kids are picked on at home, they go to school where they're picked on more so they have no soft place. With kids there can be something of a pack mentality, and they can easily spot the kids they can bully. I'm just surmising here. I know some men give their sons what for, especially if they think they need to toughen a boy up for what life throws at him. In many cases, it's done with good intentions, but often without thought of how a child might react. Often kids live with the sense they're not good enough. Stuff like that can really harm the kid who is more sensitive, and therefore less resilient.

I wish we had the address of Dermot's parents' house at the time of his disappearance. I'd like to see how close it is in proximity to the river. Never mind, 817 Swift, Oglesby, IL.

I'm really thinking sadly that Dermot committed suicide, and that the storyline about him starting a new life somewhere, was just his way of distancing from the family. Did they ignore him after he said it? Seems like a parent would have said something to further engage their child.

Dermot looks like a sensitive young man, and I'm thinking if his family or father was harsh on him, verbally, he may have sunk into a depression, and been there for sometime. When kids are picked on at home, they go to school where they're picked on more so they have no soft place. With kids there can be something of a pack mentality, and they can easily spot the kids they can bully. I'm just surmising here. I know some men give their sons what for, especially if they think they need to toughen a boy up for what life throws at him. In many cases, it's done with good intentions, but often without thought of how a child might react. Often kids live with the sense they're not good enough. Stuff like that can really harm the kid who is more sensitive, and therefore less resilient.

We had a poster on the forum around February I think it was, who claimed her Mother was Dermot's younger brother. She said, "It was a messy time in the family and no one's memories are crystal clear." She said that Dermot had friends who ran away to join the hippie movement and that the family was convinced that's what he did. She claimed Dermot had friends who did the same thing.

She claimed that the Father was going through a job loss, that the marriage was failing and sometimes abusive. This poster has not posted on the forum for a long time.

There certainly is contrasting information between the father's search for his son, and what the relative above claimed, as well as the apathetic attitude his father had when Dermot left. "Make sure you wear warm boots." Dermot could have thought "Yea, gee thanks Dad. I told you I want to start a new life and do it on my own three days ago, and hello. I'm leaving the house with a rifle in my hands." Dermot might have reasoned, "You don't give a (bleep) about me, so why should I give a (bleep) about you!!"

And now, I am pairing this with the information above from the other poster. Dermot's father was an attorney and they seemed to live in an upscale community. Maybe in ways to protect his status of his job and his future, he acted sympathetic to reporters and investigators. It would stand for him to say from the article that "We just want Dermot to know that he is welcome when he comes back, and if he doesn't, that's OK too. The elder Kelly saying, "I was too busy being a lawyer, I should have taken more time to understand the boy."

Is this the same lovable understanding father when Dermot said three days before he left, "I am going to make a new life on my own, and do it entirely on my own." and Dad acts like he could care less. His final words to his son, perhaps in so much pain and anguish, "Were warm boots.?"

I think there was something very very wrong and painful in that house, perhaps for a long time. But yet, it is claimed that Dad traveled thousands of miles looking for Dermot. But I see much more apathy than affection in his case.

I have thought of the possibility of domestic abuse and suicide in Dermot's case. Do you think if he killed himself, he could have done it shortly after he left home? If he did, wouldn't his body have been found? The image of what we learned from the detective, who said Dermot may have drowned, and his home near several river areas, tragically brings back more heartbreak now.

I feel uneasy about this case again. Hoping for the best that he is alive and happy, but tragically, I also have to prepare for the worst.

Satch

In 1972, many families were deeply ruptured by the political and cultural upheavals. Dermot was far from the only kid to walk out in a huff (and if he did kill himself, would have been far from the only one). If his father did say that, he would have been far from the only father to reject his son -- "throwaways" might have been as common as runaways, and this sort of mutual consent parting of the ways happened frequently.

At the time, 16 was pretty much an adult. You could work, get married, get a driver's license, and if you wanted to strike out on your own, you wouldn't be as vulnerable as a similar-aged people would today.

Most of the kids who did leave, headed to California. San Francisco mainly. But he sounds like more of the wilderness-survival variety. Idaho was a popular destination for that. I'm trying to remember about Illinois; it seems like there was a fairly sizable commune movement there, too. I'll have to go poke around some in my memory.

This month marks the 39th anniversary of Dermots disappearance. Dermot you are still missed and not forgotten.

This month marks the 39th anniversary of Dermots disappearance. Dermot you are still missed and not forgotten.

Thanks Cubby, so very much!

Thanks to all involved for your posts, articles, help, and kindness.

January 30th will be a tough day for me, for all of us, following this case. I want to thank everyone for keeping Dermot in their thoughts and prayers in the hopes that he is safe, alive, and happy, wherever he may be.

Satch

Hi all,

Thinking about Dermot's case tonight. So much credit and support to all for keeping this case alive. What I wanted to ask those involved with this case is, Did you know and have you been following Dermot's case for a very long time? If so for how long? I recall that Parakeet and Cubby have been very involved and dedicated to this case! Thank you! For all of you, does your memory go back to that very sad January day when he vanished? Or is your involvement more recent?

For myself, it is more resent, it was one of the first cases when I signed up for Websluthes and I had became so interested in the Charley Project and Doe Network spending many hours and getting sadder and sadder at these missing children and adults. And what interested me in Dermot's case was that so much was unknown about it. The other cases that I had studied, many had a wealth of information about the people who were missing.

In contrast, poor Dermot only had about one or two lines, "Dermot Kelly walked out of his home on January 30, 1972 and never returned. It is unknown where he may be." I think that was from Doe Network and living not too far from Chicago, my hope was that with this great site and people helping each other with support services for missing children and adults that someone over the years might have the clues, the missing pieces of the puzzle to bring Dermot home, or at least know that he is OK.

And than when Parakeet found the articles for us, I felt compelled to find the answers, because Dermot seems like such a great listener, loving, kind, empathetic, emotional. And I keep thinking to myself, when there is so little information available to help find someone that is a very important signal for all of us working together with care and love to find Dermot Kelly knowing that wherever he is, the porch-light is on for him, and there will always be people out there who are willing to help and love him.

At least, a signal from him or someone who can tell us he is OK after all these years would be a great comfort to all of us.

Satch

Hi all,

Thinking about Dermot's case tonight. So much credit and support to all for keeping this case alive. What I wanted to ask those involved with this case is, Did you know and have you been following Dermot's case for a very long time? If so for how long? I recall that Parakeet and Cubby have been very involved and dedicated to this case! Thank you! For all of you, does your memory go back to that very sad January day when he vanished? Or is your involvement more recent?

For myself, it is more resent, it was one of the first cases when I signed up for Websluthes and I had became so interested in the Charley Project and Doe Network spending many hours and getting sadder and sadder at these missing children and adults. And what interested me in Dermot's case was that so much was unknown about it. The other cases that I had studied, many had a wealth of information about the people who were missing.

In contrast, poor Dermot only had about one or two lines, "Dermot Kelly walked out of his home on January 30, 1972 and never returned. It is unknown where he may be." I think that was from Doe Network and living not too far from Chicago, my hope was that with this great site and people helping each other with support services for missing children and adults that someone over the years might have the clues, the missing pieces of the puzzle to bring Dermot home, or at least know that he is OK.

And than when Parakeet found the articles for us, I felt compelled to find the answers, because Dermot seems like such a great listener, loving, kind, empathetic, emotional. And I keep thinking to myself, when there is so little information available to help find someone that is a very important signal for all of us working together with care and love to find Dermot Kelly knowing that wherever he is, the porch-light is on for him, and there will always be people out there who are willing to help and love him.

At least, a signal from him or someone who can tell us he is OK after all these years would be a great comfort to all of us.

Satch

Today is the day, 39 years ago that Dermot Kelly left home without a trace of knowing what happened to him or even a clear assessment of why he did. I wish we could at least find out if his social security number has been used in recent years. If it has, it could give us some tangible hope that he is still alive and OK.

I often wonder what events leading up to that Sunday,1;30PM (CT) back in 1972 lead to Dermot leaving? His last day of school presumably that Friday the 28th. What did he do? Did he talk to anyone about his plans to leave? Did friends, teachers, or clergy (i.e He went to a Catholic school) notice differences in his behavior?

I wonder about the people who may have seen him? The people that knew him in the past, and if he is alive, the people who know him now.

Please think of Dermot on this important day!

Satch

I just wanted to let you guys know that I live only about 30 miles from Oglesby and it's actually quite far from Chicago...about 80-100 miles depending on where in Chicago you were going to. Also the most likely rivers would be either Rock River, Kishwaukee River or the Vermillion River. Those are the Rivers in this area...I've never heard about this case until I found it on here..just wanted to give you that info just in case it helps

I just wanted to let you guys know that I live only about 30 miles from Oglesby and it's actually quite far from Chicago...about 80-100 miles depending on where in Chicago you were going to. Also the most likely rivers would be either Rock River, Kishwaukee River or the Vermillion River. Those are the Rivers in this area...I've never heard about this case until I found it on here..just wanted to give you that info just in case it helps

Hi Shamrock!

And welcome to Websluths and to this case! Thank you very much for posting the names of some of the rivers in the area. We can study that information in relationship proximity to the former Kelly home. When I learned about the geographic location of Oglesby from back when I saw the city's webpage, I was really surprised by all of the trees, rivers, and streams in the area. I was wondering Shamrock, if you have visited the city of Oglesby as well?

Satch

Hi Satch,

Thanks for welcoming me...I've been through Oglesby but only the outskirts close to the Highway...kids needed a potty break and that was the next town to stop in..but if it's like most of the other towns in this area it's pretty rural..most of them have stuff by the highway and some sort of downtown but other than that most of them are very rural..the town I live in has 1 gas station, 1 small(expensive) grocery store, 1 pharmacy, 1 bar, a couple of churches 1 school that is K-12 other than that not much here Oglesby is larger but still a small town..If anyone needs me to I can go to the library in Pontiac and look up stuff in the paper about the case(closest town to me that has a library).. not sure how soon I'd be able to do that I don't drive and would need my hubby to take me but I can try..there is a blizzard here now so everything is closed up (even the 24hr Wal-Mart)..hubby has to go into Pontiac to work tomorrow but I'm sure everything will still be closed up(he's a prison guard they don't close up..lol)...I just thought of a case of a paperboy who was kidnapped and murdered in 1976 the boys name was Joseph Didier he lived in Rockford...the guy who killed him is Robert Lowden I don't know where he was when Dermot went missing but who knows..I do know he comes up for parole every year but he won't ever get it the boy he killed his father was a alderman in Rockford and his family owns a Nursery there everytime he comes up for parole the family starts a petition to keep him there...and they get thousands of people to sign it...I don't know if Lowden had anything to do with Dermot's case but I just figured I'd throw his name out there as a possible POI...again if there is anything I can do to help let me know..

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sapphire13
Back