Found Deceased IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

Thanks for sharing...I am glad there is closure although I am sad.

From the article:
Human remains discovered at Waterfall Glen forest preserve Friday have been identified as Jake Cefolia, the United Airlines executive who went missing last year, according to officials.

A forensic odonatologist confirmed the remains to be Cefolia's after examining his dental records, the release said.

I am going to link this thread that was started to document remains found in areas that had been previously searched. It is interesting to follow cases long enough to see this happen.

I need to look back and see just how thoroughly this reserve, Waterfall Glen was searched, but we do know that it was indeed searched.

Remains Found in Area After LE/SAR Searches

ETA- Jake Cefolia disappearance: United Airlines executive missing for one year
Through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, FOX 32 learned in August that investigators have searched Waterfall Glen at least 10 times since Cefolia disappeared.

Last edited:
I am going to link this thread that was started to document remains found in areas that had been previously searched. It is interesting to follow cases long enough to see this happen.

I need to look back and see just how thoroughly this reserve, Waterfall Glen was searched, but we do know that it was indeed searched.

Remains Found in Area After LE/SAR Searches

ETA- Jake Cefolia disappearance: United Airlines executive missing for one year
Through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, FOX 32 learned in August that investigators have searched Waterfall Glen at least 10 times since Cefolia disappeared.
It's SO common. Search parties miss bodies, sniffer dogs miss bodies. I've become cynical and rarely believe that an area is ever truly 'cleared' by searchers.

The leaves were off the trees at this time last year so that shouldn’t have had anything to do with finding him. He was surely there but was not found when they looked in November of 2020.
rsbm
That puzzled me too. They took the foliage into account for that November search.

Search for Missing United Executive Shifts Deeper Into Suburban Chicago Woods
'Now that the leaf foliage is down, it gives us a different perspective. So, we are taking another look,' said DuPage County Forest Preserve Chief DP. 'We’re doing so because there hasn’t been any other lead, or any other information...'"

Rest in Peace Jake.

“When Cefolia’s body was found Friday, his wallet, driver’s license and a backpack with his personal effects were also located at the scene. Pederson said clothing that matched the description of what Cefolia was seen wearing the day before he was reported missing was also recovered there.

“On behalf of the Forest Preserve District, I would like to send our sincere condolences to his family and friends,” Pederson said. “We hope this at least bring closure to his family and friends.”
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2...e9v0HG9hkDDxOqqxv0ILqeuDh3FjplR2CXW4LWWLYDdzA
Over a year after going missing, United Airlines exec’s body found at Darien forest preserve that had been exhaustively searched

Suicides seem to sometimes hide themselves better than murderers hide victims, I suppose because they can take their time choosing and preparing the spot without as much concern for being seen.

I feel pretty confident it's a suicide considering the timing, immediately following the sale of his house. Presumably he felt like his financial affairs were in the best order he could get them into. I bet the final cause of death is "undetermined" and his life insurance pays out too.

How could the cause and manner of death remain undetermined if he was found hanging by a belt from a low tree branch?
Well, it does seem pretty evident, but it *could* be hanging post mortem therefore cause of death could be something like blunt force trauma manner of death homicide, BUT, I do not think that is the case but understand with a skeletonized body they clearly have to use other means than a normal coroner to determine that.

How could the cause and manner of death remain undetermined if he was found hanging by a belt from a low tree branch?

Cefolia, 50, of Elmhurst, was identified through dental records, according to DuPage County Coroner Dr. Richard Jorgensen. The cause and manner of death haven’t been determined, but DuPage Forest Preserve Police Chief David Pederson noted there were no signs of foul play. A death investigation is underway.

Year after going missing, United Airlines exec found dead at Darien forest preserve

Thanks, @Frannie ! I had been wondering if any locals would share details from this episode, but glad it's been made available to those outside of the Chicago area as well.

Scene of the Crime Episode 1: Missing United Executive – full episode at link

SCENE OF THE CRIME APRIL 16, 2021 10:10 PM

Scene of the Crime Episode 1: Missing United Executive

A high-powered Chicago airline executive is acting strangely in the days before his Range Rover is found abandoned near the trails where he trained for marathons. Did he run toward a new life or away from trouble in his old one? Follow the twists and turns in the strange case of Jake Cefolia.

Now that Jake located, I recalled this video and how the psychic noted he was not at eye level!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back