Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

Way up thread, I posted about CBD's description of watching the video of when Jelani at 7:20 am, was on campus on the day he disappeared. He had not done a TB test (required for doing clinicals) which was one of the things the director texted him about on that Monday. On Tuesday morning, he was waiting outside the health office but did not go in. The website says it opens at 8am. I don't know the exact time he was there or how long he hung around outside the door. And he bought coffee.
The director said he also logged onto some type of school access system. Perhaps he was supposed to bring his proof of TB test (it's just a skin scratch) to her that morning, before doing clinicals that day. I also think that he might well have not gone to class on that Monday, as he told his mother he was, as no one is saying "he seemed okay on Monday" or giving any information where he was last seen by someone that knew him. The program director could have contacted him in person on Monday if he had been there, instead of texting him in the evening. Jelani left the campus, (I believe he went home), changed his clothes, and went to the dispensary.

https://www.facebook.com/page/712569165423032/search/?q=jelani dayFamily reported that they had last spoken with him in the evening hours of Monday August 23, 2021. Jelani was seen at the Illinois State University campus on August 24, 2021, and his last known location was at Beyond Hello in Bloomington, Tuesday morning, at 9:21am. END QUOTE

His phone was turned off at 9:19 am and ended up on the highway.
When Jelani's car was found, I thought he was trying to delay anyone knowing what area he was in. Perhaps he hid the keys somewhere. There is no indication anyone else was in that car, it was printed and even DNA swabs were taken. No blood, torn clothing, torn out hair, nothing to show an assault took place. We know he left the clothes he wore at the dispensary in his car, so he is in his 3rd outfit. And his mother said the "wallet witness" said he was wearing something red. If this was in the evening, perhaps he was wearing the sweatshirt over his tank top. Jelani got rid of his wallet and his other ID, the school lanyard. At the river, he again takes off his clothes (again, no report that these clothes are damaged, have holes, or blood) and is now in his underwear. If his shoes were not there, they probably came off/kicked off in the water.
But I can only think of one reason he would tie the sweatshirt around his waist, to cover his underwear. The tank top underwear wouldn't matter and if he had shoes on, he would look appropriately dressed. If Jelani then thought he needed to swim away from someone, to stop them from following him, that sweatshirt would have tightened up and been impossible to get off. The police said the license plate may or may not have been on the car while it was driving. A paranoid person would take it off, Jelani would normally know that no plate could increase the odds of being pulled over.
The way he took off from school, ditched his phone, car, and ID, lots of changing clothes, all remind me of things my paranoid brother talks about.

To approach this from a different angle...
If Jelani had spent time with someone in Peru, they pushed him in the river, held him under until he drowned, and then fled...
Should Peru PD review anyone who got a speeding ticket the night of August 24th?
The relevence of speeding I can unserstand but getting a ticket not so. Speeders often times don't get caught and thus issued a ticket.

Thanks for the facts re. IL laws @Curious_in_NC. Since I don't recall any cannabis inventoried from the abandoned vehicle, perhaps JD consumed the limit upon arriving Peru. We know the autopsy confirmed THC but I don't recall the actual results.
Unless we know his marijuana habits it doesn’t tell much anyway. A person who consumes frequently develops a tolerance and can have very high levels without feeling or acting impaired. Also, THC stays in the blood a long time so there can be a lot built up over time in a daily or frequent user. Someone who rarely consumes can have very little THC in their blood but still be severely altered.

Way up thread, I posted about CBD's description of watching the video of when Jelani at 7:20 am, was on campus on the day he disappeared. He had not done a TB test (required for doing clinicals) which was one of the things the director texted him about on that Monday. On Tuesday morning, he was waiting outside the health office but did not go in. The website says it opens at 8am. I don't know the exact time he was there or how long he hung around outside the door. And he bought coffee.
The director said he also logged onto some type of school access system. Perhaps he was supposed to bring his proof of TB test (it's just a skin scratch) to her that morning, before doing clinicals that day. I also think that he might well have not gone to class on that Monday, as he told his mother he was, as no one is saying "he seemed okay on Monday" or giving any information where he was last seen by someone that knew him. The program director could have contacted him in person on Monday if he had been there, instead of texting him in the evening. Jelani left the campus, (I believe he went home), changed his clothes, and went to the dispensary.

https://www.facebook.com/page/712569165423032/search/?q=jelani dayFamily reported that they had last spoken with him in the evening hours of Monday August 23, 2021. Jelani was seen at the Illinois State University campus on August 24, 2021, and his last known location was at Beyond Hello in Bloomington, Tuesday morning, at 9:21am. END QUOTE

His phone was turned off at 9:19 am and ended up on the highway.
When Jelani's car was found, I thought he was trying to delay anyone knowing what area he was in. Perhaps he hid the keys somewhere. There is no indication anyone else was in that car, it was printed and even DNA swabs were taken. No blood, torn clothing, torn out hair, nothing to show an assault took place. We know he left the clothes he wore at the dispensary in his car, so he is in his 3rd outfit. And his mother said the "wallet witness" said he was wearing something red. If this was in the evening, perhaps he was wearing the sweatshirt over his tank top. Jelani got rid of his wallet and his other ID, the school lanyard. At the river, he again takes off his clothes (again, no report that these clothes are damaged, have holes, or blood) and is now in his underwear. If his shoes were not there, they probably came off/kicked off in the water.
But I can only think of one reason he would tie the sweatshirt around his waist, to cover his underwear. The tank top underwear wouldn't matter and if he had shoes on, he would look appropriately dressed. If Jelani then thought he needed to swim away from someone, to stop them from following him, that sweatshirt would have tightened up and been impossible to get off. The police said the license plate may or may not have been on the car while it was driving. A paranoid person would take it off, Jelani would normally know that no plate could increase the odds of being pulled over.
The way he took off from school, ditched his phone, car, and ID, lots of changing clothes, all remind me of things my paranoid brother talks about.
This semester up to this point he had only been in classes for 1 week. So the classes had just started. As for the TB test yes, he may have wanted to get it done that morning so it could be done and finished with so its taken care of. Perhaps the health clinic was not open yet so he decided to get his coffee and come back later. Sometimes in the first two weeks officials open administrative offices and other important departments that directly effect students admission and studies early. Perhaps the health clinic was suppose to open earlier but wasn't or he read somehwere which provided incorrect info or a friend thought the health clinic was open at that time but it wasn't. So he waited and then decided to leave. As for a third set of clothes other than the sweatshirt found around his waist during autopsy the clothes were the same as at the dispensary. There is no mention that this was another set. As for DNA or fingerprints in the car they can be wiped. I find it interesting that his phone was turned off before he went into the dispensary. It was turned off at 9:19 and he was recorded inside the dispensary at 9:21. IMO he didn't want to be tracked into the dispensary. I believe there are other business in the same area so he turned it off as to be not tracked going into the dispensary itself. MOO all MOO. As for the phone being found on the highway we know the day and time (according to Walmart records) the phone was turned into Walmart but not known when the phone was thrown onto the highway we can't say when it thrown onto the highway before being found. Again all MOO. Also the sweatshirt tightening by itself in the water as the body moving probably wouldn't happen but geting looser if it was put on not tight as it would be getting caught up in debris in the river. IMO it was on tightly originally. IIRC during autopsy he was in the same shorts as seen in the dispensary.

Last edited:
I wanted to discuss/speculate...where was JJ's phone located?

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 20-46-08 Google Maps - Copy.png

JJ's phone was found off "on the side of an interstate in Bloomington." (source) The interview linked to with CBD is not as specific, but she says, "The area that the young man described the phone found in, was the same area that I originally had searched that exit. Actually I found a Dollar General in that area" (source)

Strictly speaking, the only Interstate routes that cut through Bloomington proper are I-74 and I-55, but in the western and southern area, which seems way too far and out of the way from where JJ was seen (broadly speaking - using a triangle of Bone Center - Beyond/Hello - his apt).

However, there are no Dollar General stores near those Interstates.

The only two DG locations that could considered near a state route are off 1209 Towanda Ave and 1020 E Oakland Ave. And they would be on the way home from Bone Center to his apt. I have the two marked with red stars.

The phone last pinged at Beyond/Hello. Is it possible that he went to Beyond/Hello, turned off his phone, tossed it (?) close to either of those DG's, and then headed up to Peru? MOO.

ETA: Some of the reporting/quotes have not been precise, and actually the first time I tried to figure this out, the DG that I mapped out was actually located in Normal, not Bloomington.

This semester up to this point he had only been in classes for 1 week. So the classes had just started. As for the TB test yes, he may have wanted to get it done that morning so it could be done and finished with so its taken care of. Perhaps the health clinic was not open yet so he decided to get his coffee and come back later. Sometimes in the first two weeks officials open administrative offices and other important departments that directly effect students admission and studies early. Perhaps the health clinic was suppose to open earlier but wasn't or he read somehwere which provided incorrect info or a friend thought the health clinic was open at that time but it wasn't. So he waited and then decided to leave. As for a third set of clothes other than the sweatshirt found around his waist during autopsy the clothes were the same as at the dispensary. There is no mention that this was another set. As for DNA or fingerprints in the car they can be wiped. I find it interesting that his phone was turned off before he went into the dispensary. It was turned off at 9:19 and he was recorded inside the dispensary at 9:21. IMO he didn't want to be tracked into the dispensary. I believe there are other business in the same area so he turned it off as to be not tracked going into the dispensary itself. MOO all MOO. As for the phone being found on the highway we know the day and time (according to Walmart records) the phone was turned into Walmart but not known when the phone was thrown onto the highway we can't say when it thrown onto the highway before being found. Again all MOO. Also the sweatshirt tightening by itself in the water as the body moving probably wouldn't happen but geting looser if it was put on not tight as it would be getting caught up in debris in the river. IMO it was on tightly originally. IIRC during autopsy he was in the same shorts as seen in the dispensary.
upload_2022-1-29_22-29-55.jpeg
https://recentlyheard.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/
These clothes were in the car, at minimum the hat and shirt. So he was in a third outfit of the day when he left his car. This not critical information, it just shows an odd pattern to me. It's my understanding that he was in underwear only, top and botton, and the sweatshirt. There is no other reason to tie your sweatshirt around your waist, it's not a fashion choice if you're leaving clothes on the river bank. I've talked about the car before, I believe that the car was not wiped, that would have really raised some eyebrows, and it could mean something or not as a paranoid person could do that. As for the TB test, the program director told him to get it done, just the night before. He was at the health office, he could have gone by her office, as was agreed, and told her if he couldn't do it. The website says it's required for doing clinical, which he had scheduled that same day.
As for the car, if it was wiped clean it would have raised eyebrows and I think his family would have found out. There's no evidence anyone else was in the car, they've already said as much. If you think someone else was in the car, you're implying foul play, but none of the clothes in the car, on the bank or on his body show signs of violence. My point here was Jelani was responsible for his own behavior, not under the "control" of anyone, and made these odd decisions possibly due to paranoia.

This semester up to this point he had only been in classes for 1 week. So the classes had just started. As for the TB test yes, he may have wanted to get it done that morning so it could be done and finished with so its taken care of.
^^rsbm

IMO, JD was probably already behind with the TB test and it was now urgent.

While it's true that this was the first week of fall semester, this was JD's 2nd semester at Illinois State University as evidenced by CBD's earlier statement about badgering JD for a copy of his grades from last semester (and also that the Graduate Speech Pathology Program commences during the summer semester).

We also know that JD was currently scheduled for patient clinic hours and I believe not having completed his TB test yet was posing a problem for him. MOO

Submit Your Health Records
You must have proof of all required health immunizations on file with Student Health Services before the start of your first term to avoid a late fee and being blocked from future class registrations. A list of immunizations required by the State of Illinois and instructions on how to submit materials can be found on the Student Health Services website.

After You're Admitted | Illinois State

I wanted to discuss/speculate...where was JJ's phone located?

View attachment 331894

JJ's phone was found off "on the side of an interstate in Bloomington." (source) The interview linked to with CBD is not as specific, but she says, "The area that the young man described the phone found in, was the same area that I originally had searched that exit. Actually I found a Dollar General in that area" (source)

Strictly speaking, the only Interstate routes that cut through Bloomington proper are I-74 and I-55, but in the western and southern area, which seems way too far and out of the way from where JJ was seen (broadly speaking - using a triangle of Bone Center - Beyond/Hello - his apt).

However, there are no Dollar General stores near those Interstates.

The only two DG locations that could considered near a state route are off 1209 Towanda Ave and 1020 E Oakland Ave. And they would be on the way home from Bone Center to his apt. I have the two marked with red stars.

The phone last pinged at Beyond/Hello. Is it possible that he went to Beyond/Hello, turned off his phone, tossed it (?) close to either of those DG's, and then headed up to Peru? MOO.

ETA: Some of the reporting/quotes have not been precise, and actually the first time I tried to figure this out, the DG that I mapped out was actually located in Normal, not Bloomington.
IDK but maybe she's referring generally that the DG is located near the intersection with the interstate or that when she was watching the CCTV from the DG store his car or a similar car could be seen heading towards the interstate. Just a thought all MOO.

View attachment 331896
https://recentlyheard.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/
These clothes were in the car, at minimum the hat and shirt. So he was in a third outfit of the day when he left his car. This not critical information, it just shows an odd pattern to me. It's my understanding that he was in underwear only, top and botton, and the sweatshirt. There is no other reason to tie your sweatshirt around your waist, it's not a fashion choice if you're leaving clothes on the river bank. I've talked about the car before, I believe that the car was not wiped, that would have really raised some eyebrows, and it could mean something or not as a paranoid person could do that. As for the TB test, the program director told him to get it done, just the night before. He was at the health office, he could have gone by her office, as was agreed, and told her if he couldn't do it. The website says it's required for doing clinical, which he had scheduled that same day.
As for the car, if it was wiped clean it would have raised eyebrows and I think his family would have found out. There's no evidence anyone else was in the car, they've already said as much. If you think someone else was in the car, you're implying foul play, but none of the clothes in the car, on the bank or on his body show signs of violence. My point here was Jelani was responsible for his own behavior, not under the "control" of anyone, and made these odd decisions possibly due to paranoia.
If something has been wiped clean it can't be detected. When the autopsy was conducted the same shorts were on and it was stated by the coroner that Jelani was also wearing the tank top but the hat was in the car. Perhaps the director was not in the office at that time and his appointment was at another time in the morning. I'm just trying to point out what may have happened as well just as you are. So not arguing or anything like that just stating what happened during the autopsy and the timing of the meeting as we don't know what time the meeting was with the director other than it was in the morning.

If something has been wiped clean it can't be detected. When the autopsy was conducted the same shorts were on and it was stated by the coroner that Jelani was also wearing the tank top but the hat was in the car. Perhaps the director was not in the office at that time and his appointment was at another time in the morning. I'm just trying to point out what may have happened as well just as you are. So not arguing or anything like that just stating what happened during the autopsy and the timing of the meeting as we don't know what time the meeting was with the director other than it was in the morning.

The only thing I'm responding to now, is the matter of wiping. Wiping leaves evidence of wiping, the absence of fingerprints is evidence, wiping marks can be dusted and lifted to show destruction of evidence. I'm not just referring to glass, but I doubt that Jelani or anyone else would have had clean cloth and cleaner with them.

Last edited:
^^rsbm

IMO, JD was probably already behind with the TB test and it was now urgent.

While it's true that this was the first week of fall semester, this was JD's 2nd semester at Illinois State University as evidenced by CBD's earlier statement about badgering JD for a copy of his grades from last semester (and also that the Graduate Speech Pathology Program commences during the summer semester).

We also know that JD was currently scheduled for patient clinic hours and I believe not having completed his TB test yet was posing a problem for him. MOO

You must have proof of all required health immunizations on file with Student Health Services before the start of your first term to avoid a late fee and being blocked from future class registrations. A list of immunizations required by the State of Illinois and instructions on how to submit materials can be found on the Student Health Services website.

Well that's an interesting point I wonder if taking the TB test would show if Jelani had been taking MJ not that to his studies it would matter but his family? As for the timing of the TB test who knows maybe he was going to take it later on that day after coming back from wherever he was going. Another thought is that maybe for the previous semester he didn't need to take the TB test and he had the required immunizations and other requirements that were needed. MOO.

The only thing I'm responding to now, is the matter of wiping. Wiping leaves evidence of wiping, the absence of fingerprints is evidence, wiping marks can be dusted and lifted to show destruction of evidence.
Very cool to know. I'll have to look into that but I guess that does makes sense. The part that I'm intrigued by is that wiping the marks can be dusted and lifted to show destruction of evidence. I'm not a criminal thank God but say a wipe with a cloth in one swipe or say alcohol based wipe I wonder if that would be able to be detected. I hate that criminals know these things its so awful. A smart criminal anyway. Sad nonetheless.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that he was in underwear only, top and botton, and the sweatshirt. There is no other reason to tie your sweatshirt around your waist, it's not a fashion choice if you're leaving clothes on the river bank.
^^rsbbm

IIRC during autopsy he was in the same shorts as seen in the dispensary.
^^rsbbm

Sorry, @5W's, the linked facts don't support your recollection above.

As @NoSpoonFeeding previously provided, JD was not wearing the shorts as seen in surveillance at the dispensary when presented for autopsy but wearing his underwear, tank T-shirt, and black sweatshirt (and presumably when his body recovered per the 7 pg autopsy report cited in MSM).

I'm really not familiar with any credible news citing JD's shorts, as seen in the dispensary surveillance, were confirmed recovered whereas we do know that JD's concert T-shirt was located by searchers.

Found Deceased - IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

^^rsbbm

^^rsbbm

Sorry, @5W's, the linked facts don't support your recollection above.

As @NoSpoonFeeding previously provided, JD was not wearing the shorts as seen in surveillance at the dispensary when presented for autopsy but wearing his underwear, tank T-shirt, and black sweatshirt (and presumably when his body recovered per the 7 pg autopsy report cited in MSM).

I'm really not familiar with any credible news citing JD's shorts, as seen in the dispensary surveillance, were confirmed recovered whereas we do know that JD's concert T-shirt was located by searchers.

Found Deceased - IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2
Thanks for that. It was a while back that I had read about the autopsy. So I think I got it a little confused. I did remember he had his tank top on and the sweatshirt but got mixed up with his underear vs shorts seen on the CCTV. But thanks for the reminder.

I'm confused about the TB test. Following this link it looks like TB testing is only required for international students. I'm also not clear what the source for the missed TB test is. The professor? Maybe a video and comment by CBD?

I'm confused about the TB test. Following this link it looks like TB testing is only required for international students. I'm also not clear what the source for the missed TB test is. The professor? Maybe a video and comment by CBD?
I've only read about JD missing his TB test on this forum so I think it must have been a comment by CBD. If there's a MSM link, I'd sure like to see it.

The health link in my post applies to all students entering ISU regardless of study but I think students working directly with patients in ISU's clinic would have additional guidelines including a TB test. For example, in my state, the Dept of Health requires a TB test per statute including volunteers in healthcare or childcare services.

The ISU health link was also to emphasize that JD was likely behind meeting the required test expected upon entry-- and not still outstanding a semester later where he could be blocked from taking a course.

You must have proof of all required health immunizations on file with Student Health Services before the start of your first term to avoid a late fee and being blocked from future class registrations.

ETA: from the CDC

Tuberculosis (TB) screening and testing of health care personnel is recommended as part of a TB Infection Control Plan and might be required by state regulations. For TB regulations in your area, please contact your state or local TB control program.

TB screening programs should include anyone working or volunteering in healthcare settings, including:
  • inpatient settings,
  • outpatient settings,
  • laboratories,
  • emergency medical services,
  • medical settings in correctional facilities,
  • home-based health care and outreach settings,
  • long-term care facilities, and
  • clinics in homeless shelters.
Tuberculosis (TB) - TB Screening and Testing of Health Care Personnel

Last edited:
Well that's an interesting point I wonder if taking the TB test would show if Jelani had been taking MJ not that to his studies it would matter but his family? As for the timing of the TB test who knows maybe he was going to take it later on that day after coming back from wherever he was going. Another thought is that maybe for the previous semester he didn't need to take the TB test and he had the required immunizations and other requirements that were needed. MOO.
I don't think the TB test screens for MJ.

We know that JD was scheduled to see a patient in clinic the day he disappeared. In my state, a TB test is required by law for healthcare and daycare -- including volunteers. It's likely that JD had a TB test when he was an undergrad in AL but it was probably expired since he'd graduated four or five years earlier. I'm recalling JD enjoyed international vacations before applying for grad school and that alone could prompt the need for a TB test.

ETA: Also recall that JD previously worked at a counseling/rehab center which might put him at high risk for exposure-- per IL DOH.

TUBERCULOSIS

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member