Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

Legalized Marijuana in Illinois: 5 Things Employers Need to Know
Illinois law says employers cannot discriminate against an employee for marijuana use outside the workplace. The state added weed to protected substances such as alcohol and nicotine.
Reading the whole linked article, Illinois does allow pre-employment screening.
"
  1. Employers can reject job applicants, and discipline workers, based on a positive test
In Illinois, companies can still conduct “reasonable drug and alcohol testing” of both current and prospective employees."

Since JD would likely work for a health care system at some point, this could be a problem in the future. Most health systems require a pre-employment drug screen and require employees to allow random screening (although random screens are extremely rare). He was not an employee at the time, so it likely wouldn't be an issue unless this was a requirement of his program.

I doubt this has anything to do with this case.
I also doubt this was his first use of marijuana.
I also don't think he was trying to avoid the TB test for any reason.

My gut feeling is that he was having issues of some sort, and possibly, the clinic not yet being open, an otherwise minor inconvenience, was the straw that broke the camel's back. To me whatever happened to him happened before visiting the dispensary.

If for example a medical test that he may have had to take for this semester would be able to detect MJ maybe he wouldn't want to take it because he would feel he has to tell his family because otherwise he would feel guilty.
Who knows maybe Jelani was rushed for time so he couldn't do it earlier. So as result he was going to do it that day but found the health clinic wasn't open when got there
Quoted and snipped by me

Is it likely that Jelani skipped a simple TB test because the results would compel him to confess to his family he smoked weed?*
I don't think it was intentional for Jelani to skip the test.
It was a basic requirement (among many) to be in a program that he thoroughly researched and applied for. I'm sure the program requirements were known to him way in advance of scheduling his first clinical. He had plenty of time.
There is no such thing as leniency in grad school. There are no exemptions. They simply pick the next applicant who DID prepare for their chance in a competitive program. And I think that is why Jelani felt he was finished before he began.
IMHO
edit* - I personally understand that the test would not discover drugs, we were working with the assumption that Jelani didn't know that.

Last edited:
Is it likely that Jelani skipped a simple TB test because the results would compel him to confess to his family he smoked weed?

It is not a blood draw, it's not any kind of a drug test. He knew he needed to do the test prior to the Monday evening text from the program director. He could have done the test the week prior. He was there at the health office on Tuesday morning and left without getting the test done and without seeing the program director. In my opinion, he was avoiding the TB test, and paranoia is the only reason I can think of unless he was deathly afraid of needles. That doesn't make sense, because he must have been up to date on his vaccinations to be at school. I do agree he may have felt "finished before he began". Edit to add, what is needed is transparency about his behavior that morning. LE, the mother and the program director know, but they're (understandably ) not letting us see the video.

Last edited:
I'm sure everyone has heard that once something has been on the internet, it exists forever. Well, this doesn't mean you'll just be able to search and find it, even if it was bookmarked or copied and posted. I've been looking at links for videos and news articles, re Jelani Day, and am frustrated that many links are now "Page Not Found". Even searching via google, it seems some information and access has gone invisible.

I'm sure everyone has heard that once something has been on the internet, it exists forever. Well, this doesn't mean you'll just be able to search and find it, even if it was bookmarked or copied and posted. I've been looking at links for videos and news articles, re Jelani Day, and am frustrated that many links are now "Page Not Found". Even searching via google, it seems some information and access has gone invisible.

That is indeed a frustration. Link rot, they call it. Here's a (slight) mitigation: Google Cached Pages of Any Website - CachedView

It lets you check Google's web cache and archive.org to see if there any copies around. I found an early hoiabc article (now a 404) on there: Family of missing ISU grad student Jelani Day continue search in Bloomington

TB testing would not show usage of marijuana. Even if it did, JD’s family would never find out unless he CHOSE to show them the results. He could easily just say my TB test was negative and go on. He’s an adult so no medical records would be sent to his parents. Parents aren’t even sent your grades in college, even if they are paying for your education.

IMO paranoia about medical testing and info collecting is a real thing, but due to JD’s chosen profession and course of study, I feel it is unlikely he was of this mindset. (Unless some kind of mental breakdown was going on which is highly possible imo)

His mom talks about the TB test starting around 11:55 into this video. According to his mom, it sounds like he had completed the first part of the test, and he only needed to be checked (my understanding). IMO, she does a good job of explaining what happened in the first few days of the investigation (her perspective, naturally), so I recommend the rest of the video, too:

Not in any way disparaging SLP, but I personally know one and she is not what I consider "medical person" at all, even though she is in the healthcare field. Shes an expert at the anatomy of the head and looks at swallowing studies for people in the hospital and has (first) done speech therapy. She has never done any medical procedures, doesn't write prescriptions (for drugs), give shots, etc. Looking at the program at IU, it looks like the same education she has. I'm sure many people know this on websleuths, but the internet is full of people that think Jelani was in a medical program and was aiming to be a medical doctor. Not that, of course, a medical person couldn't have episodes of paranoia.

The Illinois state licensing requirements for the speech profession also include some very specific criteria (i.e., data collection) adopted by the legislature (statute expiring 2028) from ASHA/IDFPR standards. I think JD recently became aware of the frequent background checks-- trying to resolve/clean up his driving record with the court last May (only to re-offend in August).

The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) is the national professional, scientific, and credentialing association for 218,000 members and affiliates who are audiologists; speech-language pathologists; speech, language, and hearing scientists; audiology and speech-language pathology support personnel; and students.

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association | ASHA
Illinois Licensures | Illinois Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ISHA)

His mom talks about the TB test starting around 11:55 into this video. According to his mom, it sounds like he had completed the first part of the test, and he only needed to be checked (my understanding). IMO, she does a good job of explaining what happened in the first few days of the investigation (her perspective, naturally), so I recommend the rest of the video, too:

This is a different video than the one I saw of her talking about the TB test, if you had posted it a coupled of days ago, I wouldn't have blabbed so much, seeing as the information about the second part only of the test. It doesn't explain his actions, but makes me think it less likely that he left because he was worried about the test.

Not in any way disparaging SLP, but I personally know one and she is not what I consider "medical person" at all, even though she is in the healthcare field. Shes an expert at the anatomy of the head and looks at swallowing studies for people in the hospital and has (first) done speech therapy. She has never done any medical procedures, doesn't write prescriptions (for drugs), give shots, etc. Looking at the program at IU, it looks like the same education she has. I'm sure many people know this on websleuths, but the internet is full of people that think Jelani was in a medical program and was aiming to be a medical doctor. Not that, of course, a medical person couldn't have episodes of paranoia.
Important clarification @NoSpoonFeeding.
I'm not certain that CBD understands that Speech-Language-Hearing candidates are typically directed to a Clinical Doctorate degree, not to be confused with PhD or MD degrees. JD earning his Master's would be a prerequisite to the clinical doctorate degree.

The clinical doctorate in speech-language pathology is an advanced clinical practice degree that is distinct from the entry-level master's degree in speech-language pathology as well as the research PhD.

This degree is intended to prepare speech-language pathologists to assume advanced professional roles—such as master clinician, clinical educator, clinical administrator, or leader in a clinical setting or area of specialization—or to serve as collaborators and supporters of clinical research.

Students entering a post-entry-level clinical doctoral program are expected to have earned the master's degree and hold or qualify for the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP), awarded by the Council for Clinical Certification in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CFCC) of ASHA.

Guidelines for the Clinical Doctorate in Speech-Language Pathology

Find Speech Pathology Clinical Doctorate Programs

This is a different video than the one I saw of her talking about the TB test, if you had posted it a coupled of days ago, I wouldn't have blabbed so much, seeing as the information about the second part only of the test. It doesn't explain his actions, but makes me think it less likely that he left because he was worried about the test.
I know what you mean.

I’m curious as to what LE has to say.

Thank you @inmyhumbleopinion for the clarification. Now we know that (according to CBD) this abrupt departure wasn't about JD finding the health clinic closed but that he did not have an appointment for what he was trying to do -- whether beginning the test or having the results read. I believe it's standard if not state law for the TB test to be completed before JD could receive approval for his clinical hours.

We also know that TB testing is not foreign to the ISU's Student Health Services. JD could have also taken the test by a private physician or the county health department. This is from ISU's School of Education link:

Tuberculosis (TB) Test
You may schedule an appointment to have the test at the Student Health Services (309-438-2778), with your personal physician, or at the county health department. The cost of the TB test at ISU Health Services is $20 and may be charged to your student account. Your ISU Student ID is required. Following the test, you will need to schedule another appointment for the results to be read.

When to complete
The semester before student teaching.

Early Childhood Education majors only
  • Before beginning their first clinical experience
Your results

All teacher candidates should have an up-to-date negative TB test (within the last three years) filed in the Teacher Education Center. Your clinical experience sites (pre-student teaching) and your student teaching site may require you to submit a new TB test prior to beginning your experience in their district.

TB Test | College of Education - Illinois State

A lot to read through on this case. I went back to the facts. JJ died from drowning with no other injuries. If someone had forced him into the water and drowned him, there would have been detectable injuries. Drowning also states that he was alive when he entered the water, meaning he wasn't killed and then dumped into the water.
His phone had been thrown but his car was carefully parked. I agree with a poster who stated this shows the car meant something and needed to be taken care of.
This was a young man under extreme pressure, literally a life hanging over his head since he was supposed to be a donor to help his dying relative. He's trying to do grad school, he needs a TB test, his mother stated he had no girlfriend (haven't heard much from his friends either so was he a loner?) and he's got speeding tickets, a driving suspension (not sure how that affected his ability to do his clinicals) and it all points to a lot of stress.
I don't think it was one thing that happened that morning, I think it was a cascade of events. When I read that he had his sweatshirt tied around his waist I wondered if he had used the sweatshirt as a pouch to anchor something in it to weight himself down or tied it around something else that came loose as he rose to the surface. ETA- he may have also had weights in his shorts (if they had pockets) and the shorts were dragged off by the weights.

Last edited:
Quoted and snipped by me

Is it likely that Jelani skipped a simple TB test because the results would compel him to confess to his family he smoked weed?*
I don't think it was intentional for Jelani to skip the test.
It was a basic requirement (among many) to be in a program that he thoroughly researched and applied for. I'm sure the program requirements were known to him way in advance of scheduling his first clinical. He had plenty of time.
There is no such thing as leniency in grad school. There are no exemptions. They simply pick the next applicant who DID prepare for their chance in a competitive program. And I think that is why Jelani felt he was finished before he began.
IMHO
edit* - I personally understand that the test would not discover drugs, we were working with the assumption that Jelani didn't know that.
I totally agree with what you've pointed out I was just speculating as to why he may have done so. They would pick the next applicant no doubt. As I mentioned in my post he may have not actually missed it but had planned to do it earlier in the morning when when he was recorded at the health clinic but since it wasn't open he decided to go do what he did that day but something happened that he couldn't resume his plans for that day. As for leniency I was speculating as the original poster had stated that the TB test was missed (I don't know where they got that from, what source) as it would be required for clinicals, especially when dealing with patients that possibly there were reasons he didn't do it the previous week as it could be 72 hours to get the results of the TB test. I personally don't believe he would jeapordize his studies or future career so that is a a good point, however as to why he may have missed it. That's where I believe there maybe other protocals in place for the program. I'm sorry I just don't see someone committing suicide over this particular point, but that doesn't mean that I don't think it is a good point, no rather the opposite. For example if someone is legit ill and has to postpone their clinicals then there have to be protocals in place. I'm just saying that he was probably following regulations but may have gotten delayed, was going to take the TB test that day, was going to meet the director when his appointment was scheduled (we don't know when) and discuss any other circumstances that may have come up. I haven't seen anywhere that his relationship with the school faculty were strained. If I saw that they were then I could possibly conclude his anxiety and further.

As I mentioned in my post he may have not actually missed it but had planned to do it earlier in the morning when when he was recorded at the health clinic but since it wasn't open he decided to go do what he did that day but something happened that he couldn't resume his plans for that day.
^^rsbbm
Is there a link that the clinic was closed-- since OP repeatedly posts this as fact?
CBD provided not that the clinic was closed but that JD did not have an appointment.

I find that too, but usually I find it was a brief overview attached to a news video related to a specific tv station. Unless the news was printed in an actual newspaper the reports do seem elusive.

I was reviewing what the investigators found in JL's vehicle. One of the things mentioned was a blunt. I thought blunt was just another name for a joint but I was wrong. This website straightened out my thinking:

What Is a Blunt? What to Know About Rolling Up

According to this site a blunt requires the user to remove the interior contents of the cigar and just use the wrapper to contain the weed. A blunt can contain the equivalent of 6 joints. That's a lot of weed to smoke. We don't know if JL smoked that at one go, probably unlikely, imo. But someone who smoked on a regular basis could probably handle it.

I agree with other posters who feel that JL was feeling increasingly frustrated by events that were closing in on him: missing classes, not arranging the appropriate prerequisites for his grad work, etc. If he was close to getting turfed from the program he may have just thrown in the towel.

We haven't even touched on the issue of him being a bone marrow donor for his dad. I can imagine the additional burden that would place on Jelani. What if he was afraid to do it? And even if he wasn't, the actual operation as well as the recovery period could take weeks which would further his absence from the program. It does sound to me that JL was under an incredible burden that could have created a mental health crisis.

Here's a website that lists the requirements for someone to be medically eligible for bone marrow donation. Although we have been told he was an eligible match could some of the requirements have changed so that he would no longer be eligible?

Medical Guidelines for Donating Bone Marrow | Be The Match

This is just speculation on my part.

^^rsbbm
Is there a link that the clinic was closed-- since OP repeatedly posts this as fact?
CBD provided not that the clinic was closed but that JD did not have an appointment.

Student Health Services - Illinois State University

Not the most solid source but it indicates the clinic hours open at 8 a.m. and JJ was seen at 7:20 a.m. at Starbucks.

The next thing we know is him being at Beyond/Hello at 9:12 a.m.

it's only like 10 minutes direct if driving from BSC to Beyond/Hello, but his change of clothes would suggest he went home first.

Student Health Services - Illinois State University

Not the most solid source but it indicates the clinic hours open at 8 a.m. and JJ was seen at 7:20 a.m. at Starbucks.

The next thing we know is him being at Beyond/Hello at 9:12 a.m.

it's only like 10 minutes direct if driving from BSC to Beyond/Hello, but his change of clothes would suggest he went home first.
Thank you. I have an expectation that Starbucks will be open before 8AM but not my health clinic. I'm inclined to believe he waited until 8AM when he learned he needed an appointment to have his TB results read, and left campus after that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drena519
Back