Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

A blunt can contain the equivalent of 6 joints....

Here's a website that lists the requirements for someone to be medically eligible for bone marrow donation. Although we have been told he was an eligible match could some of the requirements have changed so that he would no longer be eligible?
RSBM
A few random thoughts:

-Thank you, branmuffin, for making me smile today when I saw "What is a blunt" on websleuths. :p I love the community here. We are not afraid to ask questions!
A blunt could contain a lot of weed, but it's up to the user how much they want to roll. They can be small. I remember Swisher Sweets was a brand popular for that kind of thing. Without seeing the circumference and how much was left of the blunt it would be hard to guess how much Jelani imbibed.

-Good idea to check the marrow donation eligibility list. Never would have thought about that.

-Has anyone thought that Jelani lied to his mom about taking the first part of the TB test? Scheduling a follow-up appointment was required when the first part was done. I don't think they would let Jelani leave the medical office without having a follow-up scheduled. But it's a college medical center, so things might fall through the cracks...​

Last edited:
[RSBM for focus]

-Has anyone thought that Jelani lied to his mom about taking the first part of the TB test? Scheduling a follow-up appointment was required when the first part was done. I don't think they would let Jelani leave the medical office without having a follow-up scheduled. But it's a college medical center, so things might fall through the cracks...​
Exactly. I know it takes time and resources to do a good, thorough investigation, so I understand and I’m willing to be patient, but I do wonder what LE has found out through their investigation (vs. what we have heard from Mom … since that’s pretty much all we’ve heard from :(). Life just isn’t always so straightforward for whatever reason.

Bumping this reminder of SW-7 from the Oct 12, 2021 La Salle County email citing LE took a partially smoked "cigar blunt" as evidence from JD's vehicle for the crime lab.

I know that MJ cigs are often referred to as a "blunt" but I'm only finding that evidence from the car only included partially smoked cigar "blunt."

Read the documents: LaSalle County emails give insight into Jelani Day investigation

618ff8fda6fc1.image.png

-Has anyone thought that Jelani lied to his mom about taking the first part of the TB test? Scheduling a follow-up appointment was required when the first part was done. I don't think they would let Jelani leave the medical office without having a follow-up scheduled. But it's a college medical center, so things might fall through the cracks...

It didn't sound like CBD knew about the test until the program director told her. So, I don't think he needed or had an opportunity to lie to his mom about that. CBD said that the program director told her that one of the reasons she texted Jelani on Monday the 23rd, was to tell/remind him to get it done.
And then this too:
His mom talks about the TB test starting around 11:55 into this video. According to his mom, it sounds like he had completed the first part of the test, and he only needed to be checked (my understanding)

JD's life ended at a vulnerable age -- especially for males.

Teenagers who smoke cannabis are six times more likely to develop schizophrenia, study claims | Daily Mail Online

Feb 2, 2022

[..]

Dr Lynn DeLisi, one of the authors of the paper, told the New York Times at the time: 'My study clearly shows that cannabis does not cause schizophrenia by itself.

'Rather, a genetic predisposition is necessary.

'It is highly likely, based on the results of this study and others, that cannabis use during adolescence through to age 25, when the brain is maturing and at its peak of growth in a genetically vulnerable individual, can initiate the onset of schizophrenia.'

JD's life ended at a vulnerable age -- especially for males.

Teenagers who smoke cannabis are six times more likely to develop schizophrenia, study claims | Daily Mail Online

Feb 2, 2022

[..]

Dr Lynn DeLisi, one of the authors of the paper, told the New York Times at the time: 'My study clearly shows that cannabis does not cause schizophrenia by itself.

'Rather, a genetic predisposition is necessary.

'It is highly likely, based on the results of this study and others, that cannabis use during adolescence through to age 25, when the brain is maturing and at its peak of growth in a genetically vulnerable individual, can initiate the onset of schizophrenia.'
Is there a history of schizophrenia in Jelani’s family?

Personally, I wouldn't put any weight on whether or not there is a familiar history, too many times no one ever knows due to lack of diagnosis, secrecy, denial, premature death, skip generations, etc. And of course, not claiming Jelani had it, only discussing it as a possibility and connections of marijuana use affecting or contributing to mental disorders. I come from a large family, no history of paranoid behaviors or schizophrenia and there are no secret people hidden away. My brother refuses to see anyone, has never been diagnosed for whatever he has, he has had a very long history of marjuana use, and espisodes of paranoia.
Is Schizophrenia Hereditary? Not as Much as We Thought

Jun 18, 2018 — Is schizophrenia hereditary? Although it clearly runs in families, most people with a relative or even a sibling or parent with schizophrenia ..
Is Schizophrenia Genetic? Here's What to Know About Your ...
https://www.health.com › ... › Schizophrenia

Apr 22, 2019 — Researchers estimate that about 80% of the risk for developing schizophrenia is hereditary, but that doesn't mean that people with faulty genes ..

The mystery surrounding Jelani’s death may never be solved by any LE agency or Taskforce unless more details become available. Continually demanding answers from LE, FBI makes absolutely no sense unless the person making demands has evidence of foul play that the authorities have ignored.

Snipped & bbm
snipped.
And of course, not claiming Jelani had it, only discussing it as a possibility and connections of marijuana use affecting or contributing to mental disorders. I come from a large family, no history of paranoid behaviors or schizophrenia and there are no secret people hidden away. My brother refuses to see anyone, has never been diagnosed for whatever he has, he has had a very long history of marjuana use, and espisodes of paranoia.
Is Schizophrenia Hereditary? Not as Much as We Thought

Jun 18, 2018 — Is schizophrenia hereditary? Although it clearly runs in families, most people with a relative or even a sibling or parent with schizophrenia ..
Is Schizophrenia Genetic? Here's What to Know About Your ...
https://www.health.com › ... › Schizophrenia

Apr 22, 2019 — Researchers estimate that about 80% of the risk for developing schizophrenia is hereditary, but that doesn't mean that people with faulty genes ..

Cannabis and Psychosis: New Research

.. 45,750 Swedish army conscripts were asked about their drug use. Those who had used cannabis more than 50 times were six times more likely to develop schizophrenia over the next 15 years than those who had never used it.
Analysis of multiple research studies shows an average two-fold increase in psychotic outcomes for typical cannabis users and an almost four-fold increase for the heaviest users compared to non-users, though this remains only an association between cannabis and schizophrenia and not proof of causation.

Those who use very high potency marijuana (e.g., “skunk”) on a daily basis have been found to be five times more likely than non-users to suffer from psychotic disorders.

RSBM
A few random thoughts:

-Thank you, branmuffin, for making me smile today when I saw "What is a blunt" on websleuths. :p I love the community here. We are not afraid to ask questions!
A blunt could contain a lot of weed, but it's up to the user how much they want to roll. They can be small. I remember Swisher Sweets was a brand popular for that kind of thing. Without seeing the circumference and how much was left of the blunt it would be hard to guess how much Jelani imbibed.

-Good idea to check the marrow donation eligibility list. Never would have thought about that.

Blunts often are filled with a mixture of cannabis and tobacco, as well..

Blunts often are filled with a mixture of cannabis and tobacco, as well..

Not according to this website. I believe the fact that they are called blunts is what separates them from joints and spliffs.

What Is A Blunt? | Cannabis Blunt Definition by Weedmaps.

"While it's not uncommon for people to combine tobacco and cannabis in a joint that's also known as a spliff, blunts are filled strictly with cannabis. Because there is already tobacco in the cigar paper used to roll a blunt, there's no reason to add additional tobacco. "

I find this case heartbreaking for many reasons but primarily because I believe a mothers pain has been twisted by those with an agenda to suit their purposes. I don't know what the answers are here, but being at cross purposes with those that are in a position to find answers is never going to end well. I also believe that nothing less than a hate crime will be accepted as the answer. Personally I believe the answer will be less definitive but at the same time more complex, unsatisfactory, and never answer all the questions that those who loved Jelani have in their mind, as is often the case with suicide. Thought processes and actions are not logical because suicide is not a logical rational state of mind IMO.

Not according to this website. I believe the fact that they are called blunts is what separates them from joints and spliffs.

"While it's not uncommon for people to combine tobacco and cannabis in a joint that's also known as a spliff, blunts are filled strictly with cannabis. Because there is already tobacco in the cigar paper used to roll a blunt, there's no reason to add additional tobacco. "
Ok. I’ve been passed many a cigar filled with marijuana and tobacco, I guess all the hippies aren’t following proper procedures.

^^rsbbm
Is there a link that the clinic was closed-- since OP repeatedly posts this as fact?
CBD provided not that the clinic was closed but that JD did not have an appointment.
Unfortunately I haven't had time to read up on Jelani's case as these are things I'm interested in as well, but I haven't come across anything that says either. If any sleuther does come across this it would be helpful for us to have some idea of what may have occurred that morning so please do post it would be welcome.

Thank you. I have an expectation that Starbucks will be open before 8AM but not my health clinic. I'm inclined to believe he waited until 8AM when he learned he needed an appointment to have his TB results read, and left campus after that.
That makes sense. But do we know for sure that it was results that were to be read or verified and not him taking the actual TB test. That's what I thought originally that he probably either took the test the week prior or he did not take it at all the week prior. Taking the test the week prior would cover the 72 hours for results.

Last edited:

Back in the day, I’ve known blunts to be mixed with tobacco. Maybe it’s more common these days to roll them with pure weed, and likely varies per user, and maybe the dispensaries sell pure weed blunts, but old school, blunts were mixed with tobacco, as opposed to a pure weed joint.

Eta: As for “spliffs”, this has been used interchangeably with joints. That’s not to say a spliff does not contain tobacco. Jmo.

Last edited:
^^rsbbm
Is there a link that the clinic was closed-- since OP repeatedly posts this as fact?
CBD provided not that the clinic was closed but that JD did not have an appointment.
I haven't watched the video yet but I wonder what context she was talking about the lack of an appointment time. Was she just generally giving an indication of his timeline that morning or was she indicating something else like this was unusual behaviour? I will look at the video when I have some time.

I wanted to discuss/speculate...where was JJ's phone located?

View attachment 331894

JJ's phone was found off "on the side of an interstate in Bloomington." (source) The interview linked to with CBD is not as specific, but she says, "The area that the young man described the phone found in, was the same area that I originally had searched that exit. Actually I found a Dollar General in that area" (source)

Strictly speaking, the only Interstate routes that cut through Bloomington proper are I-74 and I-55, but in the western and southern area, which seems way too far and out of the way from where JJ was seen (broadly speaking - using a triangle of Bone Center - Beyond/Hello - his apt).

However, there are no Dollar General stores near those Interstates.

The only two DG locations that could considered near a state route are off 1209 Towanda Ave and 1020 E Oakland Ave. And they would be on the way home from Bone Center to his apt. I have the two marked with red stars.

The phone last pinged at Beyond/Hello. Is it possible that he went to Beyond/Hello, turned off his phone, tossed it (?) close to either of those DG's, and then headed up to Peru? MOO.

ETA: Some of the reporting/quotes have not been precise, and actually the first time I tried to figure this out, the DG that I mapped out was actually located in Normal, not Bloomington.
About 11:20 into this interview, which was live-streamed last night, Mom states that “They found [Jelani’s] phone on Interstate 74, which is outside of Bloomington, an exit outside of Bloomington, where his car had to leave to get to Peru …”:
Login • Instagram

Taking a quick look at Google Maps, I-74 does not appear to be the quickest way to get you from B-ton to Peru, but less than an hour to Peoria, another community, like Peru, where large bodies of water are located:
Google Maps

Of course, maybe there was construction going on or for some other reason I-74 was his intended route (IMO, Jelani was indeed the one driving unless evidence shows otherwise).

About 11:20 into this interview, which was live-streamed last night, Mom states that “They found [Jelani’s] phone on Interstate 74, which is outside of Bloomington, an exit outside of Bloomington, where his car had to leave to get to Peru …”:
Login • Instagram

Taking a quick look at Google Maps, I-74 does not appear to be the quickest way to get you from B-ton to Peru, but less than an hour to Peoria, another community, like Peru, where large bodies of water are located:
Google Maps

Of course, maybe there was construction going on or for some other reason I-74 was his intended route (IMO, Jelani was indeed the one driving unless evidence shows otherwise).
Thanks for the new info. I wonder how far the I-74 exit is from Beyond Hello?
I recall the phone went dark within minutes of JD on surveillance at the dispensary.

ETA: Also, there appears to be a short loop on I-74 to I-39 -- the preferred route to Peru.

Google Maps

Last edited:
Login • Instagram

Google Maps

August 24, 2021 - the last time JL was seen in person was at 9.15 am.
August 25, 2021 - his family reported him missing.
August 26. 2021 - his vehicle was found in Peru at 4:15 pm.
September 4, 2021 - body found in the river in LaSalle County
September 23, 2021 - body identified as Jelani's.
October 17, 2021 - his phone was allegedly found on the interstate by a man retrieving a mattress. He took it to Walmart and received $80.
October 26, 2021 - JL's cause of death was drowning
November 11, 2021 - the day CBD found out his phone had been found.

So I have a couple of questions regarding the timeline. Firstly, when they talk about the interstate where the phone was found, which one are they talking about? I-74, I-55 or I-39? I don't know if I've ever seen it verified which one.

Because over 36 hours elapsed between the last time JL was seen at BH and his vehicle being found is it possible he did go to Peoria or any other location within the vicinity of Bloomington?

Is it possible that JL left his phone somewhere and an unknown individual found it? What if they tossed it after JL was found deceased or after his vehicle was found? They could be completely innocent in regards to JL's disappearance and death. However, having the phone of a person whose death is now being questioned by CBD and his family and supporters just meant it's better not to be in possession of it.

I still believe JL's death is not suspicious. I don't believe he is the victim of foul play.

Edited to add: I know it was stated that the interstate was I-74 but in other interviews CBD had she only mentioned 'the interstate'. Is there confirmation from LE that is was I-74?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GidgetV
Back