IL IL - John Spira, 45, DuPage County, 23 Feb 2007

I've been following the JS case for a little while now and my initial impressions have not changed over time. First, one can just feel the acrimony between the involved parties. Those contentious relationships seem to color every aspect of this case and I sometimes find myself wondering if they have muddied the waters somewhat. Though it's JMHO, at the end of the day, I've always felt this case boiled down to the old adage of, "follow the money". Who was going to benefit the most with JS out of the way?

I've always wanted to know what the exact nature of the relationship was between JS and his business partner. Though I can only assume that they did, I also have to wonder if LE thoroughly examined the state of his business affairs around the time that JS went missing. I've never felt that the burning down of his business during the first 6 months of his disappearance was mere accident or coincidence. Initially I believed that it was all about eliminating evidence, and while that may be the case, it seems odd to me that someone would wait so many months after the fact to cover their tracks. Then I wondered if it was somehow related to the business itself. Was there an insurance pay out for example? Or was there an unhappy client somewhere in the mix? Or was this just a matter of someone trying to lay a false trail for LE?

Of course, the ex-wife factor has already been covered here at length and I wouldn't have anything new to add. I did find it surprising that she recently passed away and like everyone else would just love to know the story behind that.

It's absolutely not my intent to point fingers or make any accusations. JS's ex-wife and former business partner are completely innocent at this point. These are just questions that I would really like the answers to. My prayers and thoughts are with the Spira family. This is all JMHO as always....

John's sister has updated johnspira.com, the site she set up for awareness for her brothers missing persons case. She has hired a private investigator to work on her brothers missing persons case AND the arson which occured at the business he owned shortly after his disappearance.

More at link, including the PI's contact info. Gotta add, I love her message to John's former business partner. If he is not involved, why not take a poly and clear himself so family and LE can move onto other theories.

http://www.johnspira.com/b3/2012/05/private-investigator-on-john-spira-case/

I've been following the JS case for a little while now and my initial impressions have not changed over time. First, one can just feel the acrimony between the involved parties. Those contentious relationships seem to color every aspect of this case and I sometimes find myself wondering if they have muddied the waters somewhat. Though it's JMHO, at the end of the day, I've always felt this case boiled down to the old adage of, "follow the money". Who was going to benefit the most with JS out of the way?

I've always wanted to know what the exact nature of the relationship was between JS and his business partner. Though I can only assume that they did, I also have to wonder if LE thoroughly examined the state of his business affairs around the time that JS went missing. I've never felt that the burning down of his business during the first 6 months of his disappearance was mere accident or coincidence. Initially I believed that it was all about eliminating evidence, and while that may be the case, it seems odd to me that someone would wait so many months after the fact to cover their tracks. Then I wondered if it was somehow related to the business itself. Was there an insurance pay out for example? Or was there an unhappy client somewhere in the mix? Or was this just a matter of someone trying to lay a false trail for LE?

Of course, the ex-wife factor has already been covered here at length and I wouldn't have anything new to add. I did find it surprising that she recently passed away and like everyone else would just love to know the story behind that.

It's absolutely not my intent to point fingers or make any accusations. JS's ex-wife and former business partner are completely innocent at this point. These are just questions that I would really like the answers to. My prayers and thoughts are with the Spira family. This is all JMHO as always....

Lot's of good points. I hope the investigation includes the business bank records. It would be incredibly poor detective work to overlook something so potentionally obvious.

Also, the ex wife is now deceased so she is fully sleuthable (as it pertains to this case). Even if she was not named a suspect by LE. That 'protection' here at WS is only for those who are still living.

When did the ex wife die? I wonder did she 'confess' anything re: John before she passed? Also, were there any suspicious circumstances surrounding her death?

There is a lot of information out there on this case but the big mystery is John's financial situation and who might have benefited from his disappearance (as opposed to his "death";) the lack of a body is very significant. Disposing of a body where it will never be found greatly complicates a murder. There are some benefits of a disappeared body (less forensic evidence and lack of proof that he is really dead) but there are also significant differences in how people with financial and legal ties to John would be impacted.

There are conflicting reports of his financial circumstances. He has been referred to as a "successful businessman" and he apparently enjoyed an affluent lifestyle but there were suggestions that the business was "in trouble". Somehow the property and the building the business was located in were owned by the wives of the two partners. (Is this correct). From what I understand, in a "non-common law" state like Illinois, transferring assets to a spouse is a ploy to protect them in case of bankruptcy. The pending divorce would have significantly affected the business since the "soon to be" wife would own the building that housed the business. John's disappearance (not death) would have put the divorce proceedings on hold (am I correct? does anyone know if the divorce actually went through?)

We know that his wife was able to sell of his guitar and such; something he would never let her do if he was alive and something a probate judge would be unlikely to permit if he were "dead". Since her spouse was only “missing”, I would assume she had full control of his assets. Still, there are indications that his wife's fortunes suffered after his disappearance. There are reports that the house was foreclosed and she was pretty must destitute when she died (can anyone verify that). If this was the case, she would not have had a financial motive to do him in.

The mystery man in the whole discussion is John's business partner. It is unclear how John's disappearance impacted the business. Business partners are always high on any suspect list. On the other hand, the disappearance of a partner would usually create serious problems for the remaining partner. It would require major legal expenses and it could interfere with the normal activity of buying, selling and signing contracts. It would also require someone else to do the work the missing partner formerly did. Eventually, once the missing partner is declared "legally dead"; the business would have to be split with the estate.

One obvious advantage of having a partner "missing" rather than dead is that the missing partner’s heirs would be unable to exert any control of the business or review any of the business records; at least for a while. If John's body turned up, his heirs would immediately exert control of all of his assets pending probate and would have access to all of the "books". If he was only "missing", his partner would now be in complete control. Law Enforcement could still subpoena all of the records but the small town PDs might be less inclined to do so if it were "just" a missing person case rather than a murder.

I have no information to the effect that John's partner was embezzling from the business; only that if it were occurring, it would provide a motive. From different web sites, it is apparent that the partner has many supporters in the community I am aware of no negative information about him. From what I understand, the business never reopened after the fire. Does anyone know what happened to the business? Was there a bankruptcy?

Glad to see summer_breeze and nursebeeme beat me here to John's thread with this news. I was listening to WBBM am radio this afternoon and heard them mention John. I was so hoping to hear there was break in the case, or he was found.

I am glad, however, Clear Channel donating not one, but fourteen billboards for John's case!

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/11...ar-channel-donates-14-billboards-as-reminder/

Thank you, Clear Channel! :gthanks:

Praying this reminder brings in the tip that solves John's case. :praying:

There is a lot of information out there on this case but the big mystery is John's financial situation and who might have benefited from his disappearance (as opposed to his "death";) the lack of a body is very significant. Disposing of a body where it will never be found greatly complicates a murder. There are some benefits of a disappeared body (less forensic evidence and lack of proof that he is really dead) but there are also significant differences in how people with financial and legal ties to John would be impacted.

There are conflicting reports of his financial circumstances. He has been referred to as a "successful businessman" and he apparently enjoyed an affluent lifestyle but there were suggestions that the business was "in trouble". Somehow the property and the building the business was located in were owned by the wives of the two partners. (Is this correct). From what I understand, in a "non-common law" state like Illinois, transferring assets to a spouse is a ploy to protect them in case of bankruptcy. The pending divorce would have significantly affected the business since the "soon to be" wife would own the building that housed the business. John's disappearance (not death) would have put the divorce proceedings on hold (am I correct? does anyone know if the divorce actually went through?)

We know that his wife was able to sell of his guitar and such; something he would never let her do if he was alive and something a probate judge would be unlikely to permit if he were "dead". Since her spouse was only “missing”, I would assume she had full control of his assets. Still, there are indications that his wife's fortunes suffered after his disappearance. There are reports that the house was foreclosed and she was pretty must destitute when she died (can anyone verify that). If this was the case, she would not have had a financial motive to do him in.

The mystery man in the whole discussion is John's business partner. It is unclear how John's disappearance impacted the business. Business partners are always high on any suspect list. On the other hand, the disappearance of a partner would usually create serious problems for the remaining partner. It would require major legal expenses and it could interfere with the normal activity of buying, selling and signing contracts. It would also require someone else to do the work the missing partner formerly did. Eventually, once the missing partner is declared "legally dead"; the business would have to be split with the estate.

One obvious advantage of having a partner "missing" rather than dead is that the missing partner’s heirs would be unable to exert any control of the business or review any of the business records; at least for a while. If John's body turned up, his heirs would immediately exert control of all of his assets pending probate and would have access to all of the "books". If he was only "missing", his partner would now be in complete control. Law Enforcement could still subpoena all of the records but the small town PDs might be less inclined to do so if it were "just" a missing person case rather than a murder.

I have no information to the effect that John's partner was embezzling from the business; only that if it were occurring, it would provide a motive. From different web sites, it is apparent that the partner has many supporters in the community I am aware of no negative information about him. From what I understand, the business never reopened after the fire. Does anyone know what happened to the business? Was there a bankruptcy?

To answer a few questions. A small town PD does not have jurisdiction over this case. It's being handled by DuPage County, which has a population of more than 1 million. I wouldn't call that small town.

I think the business reopened at a new location, but am not 100% certain. I'd have to do some digging. I drove by the site of the former business location from which John went missing this morning. The building no longer resembles an eyesore. I almost didn't recognize it. The brick and windows have been fully completed fixing, however the parking lot was fenced in, (not much time to look while driving) and it didn't appear as if any vehicles where in the parking lot.

John's missing banner is still across the street from the business location from which he went missing.

Come home soon, John.

One of the donated spaces must be the electronic billboard in Ogilvie Station downtown. I was very surprised to see John's face and name flash across the screen this morning. Good way to keep up the interest in finding the truth.

There is an electronic billboard on 294 heading north (on my way into downtown, near the suburb of Willow Springs) that I noticed today brandishing Johns information. It's approximately (on my phone, so no Google info available, take my approximation fwiw) fifteen minutes from downtown. It's a high traffic area and during rush hour, you CRAWL through this strip of the expressway. Although I'm never one to enjoy Chitown traffic, I must say it is great placement for this ad and I hope and pray that during one of our cities many traffic jams, someone sees it...and feels compelled to do the right thing!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-st-charles-john-spira-20130222,0,42843.story

By Kate Thayer, Chicago Tribune reporter
February 19, 2013

When it comes to the search for John Spira, his sister says she's run out of ideas.

282x510

I drive by John's former business once a week. Always think about him. Everytime a body is found, I am hoping for closure for the family.

Any recent searches for unidentified victims matching John's descriptions?

An article I have not seen posted: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/02/john-spira-missing_n_2065412.html

Mentions wife died of "natural causes." Also both vehicles accounted for.

Did he and his wife's divorce get finalized? Speculation: since St. Charles police originally had this case due to his wife filing, that would be Kane County, not Dupage where his business was. Duoage has no records. Have not been able to check Kane.

The business location (former) appears to be in use now and well maintained.

Looks like there may have been a tip in this case. Here is the post on the Find John Spira facebook page (bold mine):

Reminders about August Searches Next Week:
THURSDAY
We will be searching the woods near the Center Ice Hockey Rink in Glen Ellyn on August 15, 2013. The ice rink is located at 1 N 450 Highland Avenue in Glen Ellyn. We will be there at 1pm
SATURDAY
We will be meeting at 10:00 a.m. on August 17, 2013 in the parking lot of St. Francis school in Wheaton. The address is 2130 W. Roosevelt Road, Wheaton IL. We will be searching in the woods directly behind the school. I have no idea if there are trails so I apologize in advance to those of you who will be joining us if it's difficult to walk through and most likely there will be mosquitoes, and heat and humidity. I have my reasons for doing this at this location but cannot say.
SUNDAY
Please check back on the morning of the search in case we have bad weather or need to make changes. We will announce the location of Sunday's search at the Saturday search.
Thanks

Here's hoping!

Information on where volunteers can meet to help in the current search for John.

Administrator says:
August 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm
Feel free to come to the search on Thursday August 15, 2013 at 1pm at the Center Ice Hockey Rink in Glen Ellyn. Also we will be searching on Saturday August 17, 2013 at 10:00 am at Beleau Woods. People are meeting at St. Francis High School parking lot located at 2130 W. Roosevelt Road in Wheaton. Thank you so much for reaching out. Stephanie

http://www.johnspira.com/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan