IL IL - John Spira, 45, DuPage County, 23 Feb 2007

After watching the show for the first time this evening I thought John's disappearence was just baffling but after reading around a bit I realized how many details were not discussed on the show and now it does not seem quite so baffling. I have never watched Disappeared before so I don't know if the lack of details given on the show is normal or if in this instance if maybe LE wanted to get the publicity but did not want to reveal too much.
I was a little annoyed they did not mention at all anything about the wife, her reaction, if she was suspect, if she had been given a poly, etc. Not surprisingly, I found a lot of those answers here on this thread. My first inclination watching the show was the wife. The timing was pretty coincidental. If she and John's business partner both lawyered up makes me wonder if they were having an affair. It was not addressed during the show either if the door to the business was locked or unlocked when employees arrived Monday morning, nor was it really discussed how closely LE looked at John's business associates. It certainly seemed to me if there is foul play (and I think there was) the person was familiar with the business. They knew where to find the plastic wrap, it did not appear there was any forced entry or signs of a struggle. It sounds like John was not killed in his business, if he was there most likely would have been clues left behind most notably blood which could have been by luminol. A lot of those issues were not talked about during the show. I have not read the whole thread yet or looked at his website yet so hopefully a lot of those q's are answered.

It seemed pretty weird to me LE nor the fire dept could find the cause of the fire at his business. Does that mean an accelarator was not used? If it was it I would think the arson investigators would find evidence of that. Hopefully after reading John's website they will answer who was the beneficiary on the buildings insurance policy.

I am glad to see this thread is here and active. I probably shouldn't have posted before I read a little more on here but I was excited after watching the show - so my apologies for chiming in here without properly educating myself first - gosh, I hate it when people do that......:)

I'm so glad they decided to make this show about John but I agree with everyone, they left out so much info. I can't believe they don't know the cause of the fire. Everyone they interviewed mentioned the missing roll of plastic. I would love to know what other employees think happened to him. The detective/police officer (not sure what he was) kinda made me mad. I don't know how anyone can think he just up and left his life. You could tell he was happy and such a likeable guy by watching that show. This family just wants answers. Gotta love Dupage county. I hope they are planning on searching more. I would love to help. I checked his website this morning and it looks like its changed. I know his sister has gone thru so much but I hope she keeps fighting for her brother.

After watching the show for the first time this evening I thought John's disappearence was just baffling but after reading around a bit I realized how many details were not discussed on the show and now it does not seem quite so baffling. I have never watched Disappeared before so I don't know if the lack of details given on the show is normal or if in this instance if maybe LE wanted to get the publicity but did not want to reveal too much.
I was a little annoyed they did not mention at all anything about the wife, her reaction, if she was suspect, if she had been given a poly, etc. Not surprisingly, I found a lot of those answers here on this thread. My first inclination watching the show was the wife. The timing was pretty coincidental. If she and John's business partner both lawyered up makes me wonder if they were having an affair. It was not addressed during the show either if the door to the business was locked or unlocked when employees arrived Monday morning, nor was it really discussed how closely LE looked at John's business associates. It certainly seemed to me if there is foul play (and I think there was) the person was familiar with the business. They knew where to find the plastic wrap, it did not appear there was any forced entry or signs of a struggle. It sounds like John was not killed in his business, if he was there most likely would have been clues left behind most notably blood which could have been by luminol. A lot of those issues were not talked about during the show. I have not read the whole thread yet or looked at his website yet so hopefully a lot of those q's are answered.

It seemed pretty weird to me LE nor the fire dept could find the cause of the fire at his business. Does that mean an accelarator was not used? If it was it I would think the arson investigators would find evidence of that. Hopefully after reading John's website they will answer who was the beneficiary on the buildings insurance policy.

I am glad to see this thread is here and active. I probably shouldn't have posted before I read a little more on here but I was excited after watching the show - so my apologies for chiming in here without properly educating myself first - gosh, I hate it when people do that......:)

I agree. There was a lot of information that wasn't shared. And there really wasn't anything mentioned abou his wife, other than the fact that they were in the process of a divorce.
It sounded like somewhat of a 'messy' divorce - so i'm wondering why she was not the first person looked at!
This case from the get-go seemed kinda fishy to me. Ecspecially w/ the information we have now about the wife and business partner.
I pray his family gets answers.....

Forgot to mention, I would not recommend seeking out Johns family. WS never condones doing so. We are here if they seek us out. If she was in NY I doubt she knows much.....

Ya..I didn't really mean "seek out" per se..just found it odd for some reason...her posting on there. I wish his family would seek us out here. maybe we could get a little more info.
Praying, once again, they get answers this year.

I'm so glad they decided to make this show about John but I agree with everyone, they left out so much info. I can't believe they don't know the cause of the fire. Everyone they interviewed mentioned the missing roll of plastic. I would love to know what other employees think happened to him. The detective/police officer (not sure what he was) kinda made me mad. I don't know how anyone can think he just up and left his life. You could tell he was happy and such a likeable guy by watching that show. This family just wants answers. Gotta love Dupage county. I hope they are planning on searching more. I would love to help. I checked his website this morning and it looks like its changed. I know his sister has gone thru so much but I hope she keeps fighting for her brother.

BBM. Oh, how I know... and I have said the exact same thing before, more than once! :innocent: :silenced::innocent:

I'm disappointed to see Johns sister closed the blog to comments.
I can only hope her taking a break means LE requested she do so after the show was aired? Maybe the PI working the case suggested doing so? or she just needs a short break.

The show is the most media this case has had in 3 years and this so is not the time to take a break from the case.

First, I understand your frustrations and needing a break sometimes from working your brothers case.

I want to share my experience with why I think this is not a good time to be taking a break from your website for your brother.

I'm a life long resident of DuPage county, been here more than 40 years.
Ive only recently become involved in crimes, mysteries and such the last few years since I found Websleuths.

Since then, I try and stay abreast of local cases. Your brothers thread here, this one, was the very first thread I ever started at Websleuths ( or one of the first, if not the first.) I don't live far from where John went missing and when I am out driving, he is never far from my mind or my thoughts on where he might be. I am always on the look out for something that doesnt look quite right that might be Johns remains.

I have over the past few years submitted tips to DuPage county on a few cases and made a few calls to submit those tips and request the correct email address. I can speak from experience it is very very difficult to get through to DuPage county. In some cases it has taken me a half dozen calls to find the right email address to submit a tip. Heck, I have even had to go through the back door, submit the tip to my village LE and request they get it to DuPage county.... Even once I have found the right email address, I have never once received even so much as a generic - automatic reply acknowledging receipt of my tip. Not asking for details of the case etc. etc., but a simple automatic reply acknowledging receipt would be nice!

I try to understand they are busy, there are approximately a million residents in this county. They don't have time to address each and every one of us, but...... I am afraid based on my experience, and I can be pretty persistant, if others attempting to submit tips to DuPage run into the same walls I have, they may turn their attention to other cases outside of DuPage. Where LE is much more, how do I say this, receptive and appreciative with communicating with the public and willing to work with the public regarding tips.

I would hate to see your brothers case lose the interest it has right now by putting a halt to the site you have set up for him. Perhaps, you might find someone you are close to who can help you manage the site when you need a much needed break.

Your brother John is always in my prayers.
Praying for answers AND more cooperation from DuPage regarding Johns case.

And I hear ya with your frustrations girl! DuPage is not an easy county to work with.

Hugs -
Cubby

JMVHO

Bumping for John.

also, while Johns sister has closed the comments section on her blog, she still has an email address available to reach her regarding tips and support.

FYI: For tips going directly to DuPage county regarding Johns case. Mark Edwalds, who is listed as the contact person with DuPage has recently been reassigned or moved to a position at the court house.

I don't know who the current contact for Johns case might be.....
Hopefully that info will be updated at Johns site soon.

Good for you, Cubby! I'm sure John's sister appreciates those of us who have him in our thoughts on a regular basis.

I wish she could answer some of the questions we've had on here.

I hope law enforcement knows what they're doing!

Bumping for John. So sad to find this thread at the bottom of page 4 so soon after his story was aired on Disappeared.

praying for answers to Johns disappearance.

First, I understand your frustrations and needing a break sometimes from working your brothers case.

I want to share my experience with why I think this is not a good time to be taking a break from your website for your brother.

I'm a life long resident of DuPage county, been here more than 40 years.
Ive only recently become involved in crimes, mysteries and such the last few years since I found Websleuths.

Since then, I try and stay abreast of local cases. Your brothers thread here, this one, was the very first thread I ever started at Websleuths ( or one of the first, if not the first.) I don't live far from where John went missing and when I am out driving, he is never far from my mind or my thoughts on where he might be. I am always on the look out for something that doesnt look quite right that might be Johns remains.

I have over the past few years submitted tips to DuPage county on a few cases and made a few calls to submit those tips and request the correct email address. I can speak from experience it is very very difficult to get through to DuPage county. In some cases it has taken me a half dozen calls to find the right email address to submit a tip. Heck, I have even had to go through the back door, submit the tip to my village LE and request they get it to DuPage county.... Even once I have found the right email address, I have never once received even so much as a generic - automatic reply acknowledging receipt of my tip. Not asking for details of the case etc. etc., but a simple automatic reply acknowledging receipt would be nice!

I try to understand they are busy, there are approximately a million residents in this county. They don't have time to address each and every one of us, but...... I am afraid based on my experience, and I can be pretty persistant, if others attempting to submit tips to DuPage run into the same walls I have, they may turn their attention to other cases outside of DuPage. Where LE is much more, how do I say this, receptive and appreciative with communicating with the public and willing to work with the public regarding tips.

I would hate to see your brothers case lose the interest it has right now by putting a halt to the site you have set up for him. Perhaps, you might find someone you are close to who can help you manage the site when you need a much needed break.

Your brother John is always in my prayers.
Praying for answers AND more cooperation from DuPage regarding Johns case.

And I hear ya with your frustrations girl! DuPage is not an easy county to work with.

Hugs -
Cubby

JMVHO

Did you email that to her?

There is a Topix thread w/ about 160 comments. I have not read through all of them yet but judging from the first couple pages which are full of posts from John's friends, family members and acquaintances he was very, very well liked.

http://www.topix.com/forum/county/dupage-il/TS826RDTP7MLIGRSJ#comments

A lot of interesting tid-bits about the ex-wife from some locals and family members. Renata, Johns girlfriend has posts up on Topix too. She gives very good, reasonable insight.

Stephanie, John's sister, posted some interesting things about John's business partner and his behavior after John disappeared. It certainly sounds a bit fishy. TBH - I don't know if it is okay for me to post what she wrote on Topix so I won't but you can easily find it by using the link to the thread.

She's baaack!!!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Johns sister just updated the blog at johnspira.com

I am SOOOO glad she is back!

Hopefully we can offer her all our WS support!

This is actually in the local area and about a 25 minute drive from Johns office. Not to confuse 'close to Johns office'.

Here is a map.

Point A is the closest intersection to Johns office. (North Ave Rt. 64 and County Farm Road)

Point B is the closest intersection to the Forest Preserve ( Butterfield Rd. Rt 56 and Herrick Rd) (* Note pay no attention to the numbering system here because 38 runs between 64 and 56, so 56 and 64 do not mean they are close)

Point C added for reference to another local missing person, Scott Anthony Arcaro, who is missing from Lisle.

Herrick Lake Forest preserve is about the half way point between where John and Scott went missing. ( I don't have an address for where Scott went missing, just the town)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=County+farm+road+west+chicago&daddr=herrick+road+wheaton+illinois+to:lisle+illinois&geocode=FVVefwIdMNG--intPkyOTVUOiDHHxTrYVLrhHQ%3BFe8ifgId3_e--inLFPE3C1YOiDH1et-azUUAhA%3BFbXVfQId3BXA-ik7dptOKVEOiDHPJMJkjgql-w&gl=us&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=41.851918,-88.121681&sspn=0.108686,0.22007&ie=UTF8&ll=41.840665,-88.120651&spn=0.108705,0.22007&t=h&z=12

A little more info in this article from the Daily Herald.

A Wheaton man gathering mushrooms Tuesday in a DuPage County Forest Preserve stumbled upon human skeletal remains.
Hours after the grisly discovery, deputies with the sheriff's forensic unit continued meticulously combing for clues inside Herrick Lake Forest Preserve off Butterfield Road near Wheaton.

<snip>
Authorities described the skeletal remains as severely decomposed and absent human tissue.

<snip>
Some weathered clothing was recovered, but the scene revealed few obvious clues about the person's gender, identity or how he or she died, officials said

full story at link:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=372891

Prayers for Johns family while they and the familys of other local missing persons await identification for the remains found this afternoon in DuPage County.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11
Back