IL IL - Lucy Burbank, 1892-1894 - Alleged murder victim?

I've found a definitive link between Lucy Burbank, daughter of Tracy Burbank and Eliza Marshall, and Frank Mallory, other than their uninformative marriage certificate. In Frank Mallory's veterans home record where he lived for many years, it gives his wife's name as Lucy Mallory, but it also lists as his contact persons his brother Allen F. Mallory, and a sister-in-law, Mrs. Kimmey. BINGO! Lucy Burbank's sister Jessie married Peter Kimmey.

On 18 Nov. 1905 Frank first entered the veterans home in Danville, Illinois. Lucy was listed as his wife. Later her name was scratched out as "divorced". In 1920 he was listed on the census as "widowed". The 1910 census taker didn't write down any descriptive information. Frank Mallory died in the veterans home in 1932.

The three living children of Eliza Marshall Burbank in 1900 were definitely Annie, Jessie, and Lucy. The known deaths of the Burbank children are: Grant died in 1877, Lottie Malum died in 1890, Lillie Goss died in 1898, Annie died in 1904, and Jessie Kimmey died in 1947. That leaves Lucy and an unnamed child who may or may not have been Abram L. on the 1870 census. It's unsure if Grant at the time of his death was truly their only son as stated in his death notice, or their only surviving son.

So what's the point of all this research? Can this Lucy Burbank be THE Lucy Burbank of the bank book?

Obviously this Lucy wasn't murdered by the fiend.

Could she have inherited money from her father in 1892 and kept it in an old account which she opened before her marriage or opened later in her maiden name? Yes, it's possible. However, newspaper accounts say she was making frequent deposits. Where those deposits being made between 1880 and the time of the Fair (mid-1890s)? If so, it can't be this Lucy Burbank who was making those deposits because she was living with her husband in Nebraska from at least 1880 until at least 1900, according to census records. :waitasec:

So that leaves us looking for another Lucy Burbank - the correct Lucy Burbank. :read:

New to this case...

Crazy thought, but is it possible this serial killer could have opened a bank account under a fictitious name? Lucy Burbank IMO is a really common kind of name, one that could very easily be made up. Perhaps the man claimed he was depositing money for his sister or some other female relative; and if he's been been charged with murder, who's to say that perhaps he wasn't committing other crimes, including theft? That would definitely account for how so much money could be deposited, and so regularly.

Just a thought.

New to this case...

Crazy thought, but is it possible this serial killer could have opened a bank account under a fictitious name? Lucy Burbank IMO is a really common kind of name, one that could very easily be made up. Perhaps the man claimed he was depositing money for his sister or some other female relative; and if he's been been charged with murder, who's to say that perhaps he wasn't committing other crimes, including theft? That would definitely account for how so much money could be deposited, and so regularly.

Just a thought.

Interesting theory. I'm sure it's more than possible!

New to this case...

Just a thought.

I considered that. After all, the guy was a criminal and he did steal money from women and men alike. He could have had one of his victims open the account for him, however, after she was dead, it may have been a bit difficult for him to have access to the account. They didn't have picture IDs back in those days, but a male taking money out of a female's account would have raised a few red flags. We do know that he had his victims sign money and property over to him. He was also a forger. So many possibilities.

A downloadable copy of Detective Frank P. Geyer's book about the crime and his search for the victim can be found here:

The Holmes-Pitezel case; a history of the greatest crime of the century and of the search for the missing Pitezel children (1896)

http://archive.org/details/holmespitezelcas00geye

To search for a book copy at a library near you, go here:

http://www.worldcat.org/

I'm revisiting this case again because last year I had a hard drive crash (fell four feet to a cement floor) and I lost my files, so I'm reconstructing them. :wink: I noticed my link in a previous post no longer worked properly so thought it best to add the correct links.

Respectfully snipped
I'm revisiting this case again because last year I had a hard drive crash (fell four feet to a cement floor) and I lost my files, so I'm reconstructing them. :wink: I noticed my link in a previous post no longer worked properly so thought it best to add the correct links.

OT, but it's so rare that a hard drive crash results from an ACTUAL crash.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back