Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #10 *Still Missing*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not surprising that BC isn’t testifying (wanting to avoid cross-examination), but is it possible he could still simply submit a statement or court filing of some sort — getting his say in without x-examination, or is that not a legal option?
In any event will be very interesting to see how long the jury deliberates on this decision (I dare say the longer they take the more worrisome it becomes).
Doesnt matter so much how long they take or what the upshot is.
YingYingZhang is still a missing person, missing, believed dead and this entire trial couplet has done nothing to uncover her remains as if they are something of no consequence at all when they are all that matter to her family.

IMHO...If I were a juror on this DP trial, in my mind, I would be voting for the DP after hearing all of the drivel presented on BC's behalf during this sentencing phase. Especially the outpouring admissions of unconditional love from his estranged family members. Maybe I have no conscience, but I assume that I would be on this jury because I could vote for the DP unless there were mitigating circumstances presented to warrant LWOP. Which I'm my mind there has not.

The defense team has done a very poor job. The only redeeming value that I find about them is that they were honest right from the start by admitting that BC did the crime.

The only thing that troubles me about the DP is that the Zhang family would not have closure with regard to Yingying's remains. However, on the plus side, BC would not have to be housed and fed and left to his demented thoughts at taxpayer expense.

IMHO...If I were a juror on this DP trial, in my mind, I would be voting for the DP after hearing all of the drivel presented on BC's behalf during this sentencing phase. Especially the outpouring admissions of unconditional love from his estranged family members. Maybe I have no conscience, but I assume that I would be on this jury because I could vote for the DP unless there were mitigating circumstances presented to warrant LWOP. Which I'm my mind there has not.

The defense team has done a very poor job. The only redeeming value that I find about them is that they were honest right from the start by admitting that BC did the crime.

The only thing that troubles me about the DP is that the Zhang family would not have closure with regard to Yingying's remains. However, on the plus side, BC would not have to be housed and fed and left to his demented thoughts at taxpayer expense.

LWOP will not bring about disclosure.
He would not tell to save his life can safely be said.

They weren't honest from the start, they used all kinds of ugly underhand tactics to prolong this farce which could have been done and dusted within 6 months, when there was possibly a better chance of him confessing.
He's a jailbird now, worry free, fed and found and with zero incentive to take his victims out of their misery.
Roll up his sleeve and dont even be bothered hearing any appeals.

Not bringing posts forward, but did you find the correctional officers' statements interesting?

BC wasn't any trouble -- except each one had an example.

Blocked the door, but no consequence
Over the book limit, but no consequence

Yep, specific training for staff to avoid manipulation is needed here IMHO.

Waiting-max in Terre Haute, staff there is up to it....

JMHO YMMV

Not bringing posts forward, but did you find the correctional officers' statements interesting?

JMHO YMMV
You always said that and you have been proved right again.
Arch manipulator and arch demon.

am I reading this correctly?
Oral Motion by the defense to strike a previous question by the Govt related to cults and demonology and for the jury to be admonished to not consider. Arguments heard. Reference to potential Motion for Mistrial made by Defense. Court orders that any request for a mistrial is denied. Court further orders the Oral Motion to Strike also be denied. At 1:17 PM, after the lunch break and outside the presence of the jury, Court notes Dft's 462 Notice of Proffer of Testimony as it relates to Dr. Peggy Pearson and 463 Notice of Proffer of Barred Testimony and Records (Penalty Phase Offer of Proof regarding Medical and Mental Health Records). A flash-drive of exhibits to d/e 463 filed in open court. Defense requests this be held under seal no objections.

Discussion held re two proposed limiting instructions by the Defense related to testimony on occult/demonology. Court denies the instructions as provide

Is this saying that cults and demonology are to be permitted without jury being given instructions to ignore?
If permitted rebuttal should be interesting, possibly the key to the case.??

edit- sorry here's link to full thingy Docket for United States v. Christensen, 2:17-cr-20037 - CourtListener.com

Last edited:
LWOP will not bring about disclosure.
He would not tell to save his life can safely be said.

They weren't honest from the start, they used all kinds of ugly underhand tactics to prolong this farce which could have been done and dusted within 6 months, when there was possibly a better chance of him confessing.
He's a jailbird now, worry free, fed and found and with zero incentive to take his victims out of their misery.
Roll up his sleeve and dont even be bothered hearing any appeals.

I should have said right at the start, not from the start.

The one redeeming value of the defense team was right at the start of the trial when they admitted BC is guilty.

I've been stuck at work for the last 3 days and had quite a bit of catching up to do. Am I to understand BC's prison wi-fi is weak? Omg. This will not stand. Perhaps we could all start a go fund me page and get him his own personal little router?? With about a pound of tnt in it.
Seriously tho, this whole thing has become an embarrassing mockery of how justice should be.

I've been stuck at work for the last 3 days and had quite a bit of catching up to do. Am I to understand BC's prison wi-fi is weak? Omg. This will not stand. Perhaps we could all start a go fund me page and get him his own personal little router?? With about a pound of tnt in it.
Seriously tho, this whole thing has become an embarrassing mockery of how justice should be.
and what if he shows up here with the #demons?

yeah, weak wi-fi, and BC's mother thinks about the Zhang family 5 times/day... I'm startin' to lean toward acquittal... NNNNNOT!
Yo lawyers, is this Defense team just par-for-the-course for a DP case, or are they way over-the-top? ...and how many more calls for a mistrial can we expect!?
:(

JMHO YMMV

Not sure if you're able to get it but the Champaign-Urbana news gazette had a long and interesting article on that jail in Sundays paper. He won't be cryin about weak wi-fi there!!

JMHO YMMV

In Terre Haute, prison’s ‘death row’ talk of the town

If the defendant is permitted to argue facts not in evidence or facts that the United States is not allowed to rebut, then the United States will be unfairly prejudiced. Therefore, the United States requests a ruling prior to closing its rebuttal evidence in this stage of the trial as to whether the defendant will be prohibited from arguing these facts or the United States will be allowed to present rebuttal evidence.

I. Plea Discussions Following the Court’s ruling permitting the admission of evidence of plea negotiations between the parties, the United States and defendant entered into a stipulation regarding those plea discussions. That stipulation was the result of negotiations between the parties. The United States proposed a stipulation that the United States believed appropriate to put the plea negotiations in context. The defendant, however, objected to the inclusion of certain facts contained therein. The parties ultimately agreed on the less inclusive stipulation presented to the Court.

The United States is prepared to introduce into evidence during its rebuttal case additional evidence surrounding the plea discussions, including the information removed from the prior stipulation. Nonetheless, if the defendant is limited during his

closing argument to arguing the facts contained in the stipulation, then the United States does not believe such rebuttal is necessary.

Therefore, the United States requests that the Court prohibit the defendant from arguing any facts regarding plea discussions that are not contained in the stipulation, and therefore, are outside of the record. Absent such a ruling, the United States would request permission to present additional facts regarding the plea discussions during its rebuttal (JEEZ H)
II. The Defendant’s Reading Materials in the Livingston County Jail Prior to trial, the United States had no intention of introducing into evidence the titles or subject matter of the books that the defendant has read while detained at the Livingston County Jail. Nonetheless, during the questioning of several defense witnesses, the defense elicited that the defendant had obtained a number of books at the Livingston County Jail and spent time reading them, including at night. Presumably, this testimony is to establish the defendant’s alleged mitigating factor that the defendant has no disciplinary violations and has adjusted well at the Livingston County Jail. The defense then elicited from defense witness Nicholas Melvin that one of the books the defendant was reading was Goosebumps, which is a well-known children’s book series.(he was just reding ladybird cartoons, yar honor)
this!!!!

The United States believes this fact may mislead the jury into believing the defendant’s reading selection shows that the defendant has adjusted well to incarceration and has no disciplinary violations. In fact, based on evidence proffered by the United States (identified as Government Exhibit 134), the defendant has obtained books on the occult (which is relevant to his adjustment at the Livingston County Jail) and has sought to improperly obtain additional such books in violation of jail policy (relevant to his lack of disciplinary violations). Therefore, the United States should be permitted to introduce these facts into evidence during rebuttal, or the defendant should be prohibited from arguing during closing argument that the defendant’s reading and books, including the Goosebumps series, demonstrates either his lack of disciplinary violations or his positive adjustment to incarceration.
(I cannot believe I'm reading this) @Webthrush - here you go m'dear.. make what you will of it

III. The Defendant’s Text Message Referencing Murder During the guilt phase of the trial, the United States introduced into evidence a text message from the defendant to Terra Bullis on June 9, 2019, referencing breathing, fine dining, and murder. During cross-examination, defense counsel suggested this was a quote from the animated series, Spongebob Squarepants. During the penalty phase, defense counsel specifically pointed out during the questioning of the defendant’s sister that she watched Spongebob Squarepants with the defendant While references to breathing and fine dining indeed come from Spongebob Squarepants, the reference to murder does not. Therefore, it would be improper for the defendant to argue during closing arguments that this quote comes from Spongebob Squarepants. If the defendant is not prohibited from making such an argument, the United States should be permitted to introduce rebuttal evidence regarding the actual quotation.

IV. Terra Bullis’s Credibility During his opening statement during the guilt phase, the defendant challenged the credibility of Terra Bullis. During the penalty phase, however, the defendant has stated that Terra Bullis is not to blame for the defendant’s crimes. Nonetheless, the defendant may choose to attack the credibility of Terra Bullis during closing argument. Unless the defendant represents that he does not intend to attack her credibility, the United States would intend to introduce into evidence job applications completed by the defendant during the relevant time frame that list Terra Bullis as a reference for him.

V. Alcohol in the Bureau of Prisons Prior to the defendant electing not to call Dr. Sorensen as a witness, the United States was prepared to present evidence regarding access to contraband alcohol in the Bureau of Prisons. As of now, there is no evidence in the record that alcohol is unavailable in BOP. Therefore, the defendant should not be allowed to argue during closing argument that alcohol is unavailable in BOP. If the defendant is permitted to do so, however, the United States should be permitted to introduce evidence during its rebuttal case establishing that inmates have access to contraband alcohol in BOP

(Jeez H) THE GUINEA PIG
VI. The Defendant’s Killing of a Guinea Pig Prior to trial, the defendant moved to exclude evidence that the defendant told Terra Bullis that he had killed a guinea pig while he listened to it squeal. The Court granted the defendant’s motion to exclude this evidence. Nonetheless, during the penalty phase, the defendant introduced evidence of the defendant with a pet cat growing up, that the defendant slept with a cat on his back, and that the defendant would never harm an animal. The jury now has the false impression that the defendant would never harm an animal. Either the United States should be allowed to introduce during its rebuttal case evidence that the defendant killed a guinea pig, or the defendant should be prohibited from arguing during its closing argument that the defendant never harmed an animal or any other argument inconsistent with his killing of a guinea pig.

Tit4Tat
VII. The Defendant’s Claim that the Counseling Center Could Have Done More One of the claims raised by the defendant during the penalty phase is that he sought help at the University of Illinois Counseling Center for his alleged abuse of alcohol and that the UICC “left him on his own.” In fact, the defendant presented the testimony of Susan Zoline to claim that the UICC could have done more for him. The undisputed evidence shows, however, that once the defendant was arrested in this case, he did not take advantage of any alcohol or substance abuse treatment at the Livingston County Jail. This tends to rebut his claim that the UICC failed him, and supports the contrary claim that he failed to follow up on their recommendations. Therefore, the United States should be allowed to introduce this evidence during its rebuttal case to show that he has failed to seek treatment for his alleged substance abuse problem at the Livingston County Jail, which also tends to show that his alleged substance abuse problem is not as severe as the defendant has claimed during the trial. If such rebuttal evidence is disallowed, the defendant should be prohibited from arguing that he had any substance abuse problem after March and April of 2017
In Limine – #467 in United States v. Christensen (C.D. Ill., 2:17-cr-20037) – CourtListener.com

(so basically just read comics endlessly while longing for demons, sounds right)

Hard to believe this is how it really works.... warped

BEN
Christensen's mother, Ellen Williams, testified. Said, "it would be horrible" if her son got the death penalty. "It would be devastating." (1/8

About his crime: "It's horrible. It's sad. I feel bad." And says she thinks about Ms. Zhang's family "at least five times a day and how horrible this must be for them." (2/8) (5??)

But she says she still loves Christensen. "My love for all my kids and Brendt…it's certainly unconditional." (3/8

aid that after her son had his incident when 19 years old when he fell at work site, Christensen told her he googled his symptoms and thought he may have schizophrenia. Prosecution objected. (

Defense moved on. His mom said she took him to a doctor, who told him he was having PTSD (5/8)

Defense also played a compilation of family videos of Christensen at his first birthday, opening Christmas gifts and playing the piano. (6/8)(collapse into hysteria, me)

hristensen appeared to be crying at different points during his mother's testimony, grabbing tissues in front of him (7

Next, his sister is set to testify (8/8)

What is with the double standard ? His family is saying 'I will miss my son, and I love him after he murdered yyz' , what about yyz family ? They don't miss her ?

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA’S MOTION FOR AN INSTRUCTION REGARDING THE DEFENDANT’S PRESENTATION OF MENTAL HEALTH TESTIMONY IN MITIGATION NOW COMES the United States of America, by John C. Milhiser, United States Attorney for the Central District of Illinois, Eugene L. Miller and Bryan Freres, Assistant United States Attorneys, and James B. Nelson, Department of Justice Trial Attorney, and respectfully requests that the Court issue the following jury instruction: There is a legal procedure under the Federal Rules of Evidence and Criminal Procedure which allow a defendant to present evidence of his mental health condition as a mitigating factor in a capital case. The Rules require the defendant to give notice of the particular mental health condition that he will raise, as well as any witnesses he will call and what they will testify about regarding the mental health condition. The Rules provide that, once the defendant gives notice, the United States may have its own psychologists examine the defendant to determine whether he does, in fact, suffer from that mental health condition. The United States’ psychologists would then be permitted to testify at trial about their examination. In this case, the defendant has proposed mitigating factors related to various mental health conditions. The defendant did not give notice of his intent to do this as required by the Rules. Because the defendant did not give the required notice, the United States did not have an opportunity to have its psychologists examine the defendant. In fact, the defendant refused to be examined by the United States’ psychologists. You may consider this fact in weighing the credibility of the evidence and testimony presented by the defendant with regard to his mental condition in mitigation
Miscellaneous Relief – #468 in United States v. Christensen (C.D. Ill., 2:17-cr-20037) – CourtListener.com

Bit late for this one, they were always gonna be doing this and they should have been pulled on it at the outset, not now, after the jury has heard everything from schizophrenia to feverishness to running off buildings into cars.

There is something vulgar and extraordinarily ugly about this entire process.

There is absolutely nothing on earth preventing the jury from reading either of those 2 documents or Zoline or the shrink's medicine-wheel testimony posted earlier on Court Listener.
I cannot even imagine what is sealed at this stage..

It does seem clear that the shrink can be sued by Christensen for the polydrug prescriptions and prescribing methodology.
If Christensen told the counselors what he had been prescribed, itis likely they didn't refer him back there out of concerns for patient safety.
Had the defense used the shrink's drug menu, it is likely they would have proved mitigation- drug induced psychoses.

However, it is most likely that he just took them for kicks rather than therapeutically.

Guinea pig is dead and Christensen killed it, for pleasure.
I never saw that symptom listed in any drug side-effect list #KillAGuineapigForKicks

I think the whole cult thng and the demonology was never fully investigated, or it was and a decision was taken to omit it as evidence, possibly because it would have dragged TB and maybe Michelle as well into the fracas and obscured culpability..

I'm also wondering whether the plea deal was misrepresented, whether in fact he had actually offered to disclose the real actual location of her retrievable remains???
The prosecution told her family it was lies.
Was it really?
I'm not so sure, having read all that because the prosecution has now thrown all the dirty laundry out, just like the defense threw out a case of polypharamceutical drug poisonings this morning, yesterday morning...
This is a minefield.
A travesty imho

Now comes Brendt Christensen yet AGAIN
Notice (Other) – #462 in United States v. Christensen (C.D. Ill., 2:17-cr-20037) – CourtListener.com

(his thyroid- doctor googling, was he??- probably weight gain, vanity and narcissistic theme continues)

Medical Clinic after he came to that clinic on January 21, 2016, reported that he had been feeling depressed for two years and asked that he receive tests of his thyroid function. Thyroid function tests were given and the results were negative. Mr. Christensen was therefore referred to the McKinley Mental Health Clinic and Dr. Pearson saw him on February 4, 2016.
The depressive symptoms that Brendt reported to her were: Sad mood; low motivation; slightly decreased appetite; low energy; poor memory; poor concentration; and a decreased interest in sexual activity over the preceding two years. She observed that Brendt’s affect was mildly depressed, meaning that his appearance and emotional reactivity looked to her to be slightly depressed. Brendt reported that he felt depressed. He said he had occasional thoughts of suicide but would never act on those thoughts. He had no relationship distress

At the conclusion of her evaluation I diagnosed Brendt with Persistent Depressive Disorder with symptoms of anxiety. She asked him if he would like to try medication to treat that disorder and he concurred. She prescribed a medication called sertraline which is a generic version of a drug with the brand name Zoloft. Sertraline is a medication used to treat symptoms of depression and anxiety. She instructed Brendt to start taking 25mg per day, and after a week to increase the dose to 50mg per day. She also reviewed with him the common side effects of the medication and asked him to come back and see her in two weeks.

Two weeks later, on February 18, 2016, Brendt came to see her for the second time. He had increased is dose of sertraline from 20mg to 50mg as directed. Brendt reported that there had been no improvement in his significant symptoms of depression and he continued to be anxious. She instructed him to increase his dose of sertraline to 75mg and asked him to return in two weeks. M. Brendt came in to see me again on March 3, 2016, two weeks later. He reported that he had had one episode of alcohol ingestion since his last appointment and was getting enough sleep. His affect appeared to be bright. She made no changes to his medication following that visit

However, his mood continued to be slightly depressed and his energy level was somewhat low. Brendt reported that his progress at his lab was still slow and that he had made mistakes in his work. He also told her that he and his wife were now discussing divorce after five years of marriage. She noted that he was under significant stress. She instructed Brendt to increase his sertraline dose from 75mg per day to 100mg per day and to come back to see her in six to eight weeks.(April '16!!!!)

waking up in the middle of the night and having difficulty falling back asleep. He reported that his marriage situation had improved. He had decided to accept a master’s degree instead of continuing to pursue a Ph.D. and he appeared relieved. She prescribed him trazodone 50mg to take in addition to the sertraline. Trazodone is an antidepressant medication that is frequently used as a sleep aid.

(talk about polypharmacy!!! Antidepressants take at least 30 days, she upped dose after 2 weeks, maybe it's her that should be sued?)

(this is actually very long and windy it goes on to say that counselors should have informed her... she would, no doubt have readjusted her diagnosis, not to take account of polypharmacy and drug interactions and written scripts for even more poison. Having said that, it I wonder why he attended the counselor rather than return to herself???)

She asked Brendt some questions regarding his family history. She did so as a method of assessing the adequacy of his network of social support. Brendt reported that he had two siblings, an older brother and a younger sister, but he was not close to either one. He stated that his brother was now in Asia and his sister was reportedly living in a van in the Pacific Northwest. Brendt stated that his parents divorced in 2013 and that he was in contact only with his mother who he described as an active alcoholic. He had been married for several years and his wife was working as a loan officer at Busey Bank. He report

I just thought of something, i assumed he ingested all those drugs, but did he 'saved' some of those drugs to victimize people ? Did the police find more drug then usual in his apartment ??? Just a thought

am I reading this correctly?
Oral Motion by the defense to strike a previous question by the Govt related to cults and demonology and for the jury to be admonished to not consider. Arguments heard. Reference to potential Motion for Mistrial made by Defense. Court orders that any request for a mistrial is denied. Court further orders the Oral Motion to Strike also be denied. At 1:17 PM, after the lunch break and outside the presence of the jury, Court notes Dft's 462 Notice of Proffer of Testimony as it relates to Dr. Peggy Pearson and 463 Notice of Proffer of Barred Testimony and Records (Penalty Phase Offer of Proof regarding Medical and Mental Health Records). A flash-drive of exhibits to d/e 463 filed in open court. Defense requests this be held under seal no objections.

Discussion held re two proposed limiting instructions by the Defense related to testimony on occult/demonology. Court denies the instructions as provide

Is this saying that cults and demonology are to be permitted without jury being given instructions to ignore?
If permitted rebuttal should be interesting, possibly the key to the case.??

edit- sorry here's link to full thingy Docket for United States v. Christensen, 2:17-cr-20037 - CourtListener.com

Defense strategy is to claim mistrial to get bc off the murder rap ? <modsnipped>

Last edited by a moderator:
Tuesday, July 16th:
*Penalty Phase of Trial continues (Day 7) (@ 9:30am @ CT) - IL - Yingying Zhang (26) (missing on June 9, 2017, Urbana; not found) - *Brendt A. Christensen (28) indicted (6/30/17) on kidnapping (Federal charge) resulting in death of Yingying & 2 counts of giving false statements to FBI. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Trial started 6/3/19 with jury selection & took until 6/11/19 to pick a jury. 12 jurors & 6 alternates. (7 men & 5 women). Trial ended 6/24/19. Jurors reached a verdict in less than 2 hours. Christensen was found GUILTY of kidnapping resulting in the death of Yingying Zhang. Also found GUILTY on two counts of making false statements to the FBI. Penalty Phase started on 7/8.
Jury Selection Days 1 to 7 (6/3/19 to 6/7/19) & Trial days 1 to 9 (6/12/19 to 6/24/19), Court info (7/2/19 to 7/5/19) & Penalty Phase Day 1 to 5 (7/8/19 to 7/12/19) reference post #1004 here:
GUILTY - IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #10 *Still Missing*

7/15/19 Penalty Phase Day 6: Defense witnesses: Jail employees: Livingston County Jail supt. Stuart Inman. Livingston County Sergeant Donald Niles. Keesha Burns, Correctional Officer at Livingston County Jail. Nicolas Melvin, Livingston County Sheriff’s Department Correctional Officer. At a break, defense strongly objected, saying his reading materials, YouTube viewing history, etc, weren't supposed to be brought up in trial, and that the question would unfairly prejudice the jury. Judge Shadid denied a motion for mistrial. Defense witnesses: Patricia Perez, who worked as a Correctional Officer at Livingston County Jail. Outside the presence of the jury, Court notes Dft's 462 Notice of Proffer of Testimony as it relates to Dr. Peggy Pearson. McKinley Mental Health Clinic Dr. Peggy Pearson (saw him on February 4, 2016). Ellen Williams (mother). Played a compilation of family videos of Christensen at his first birthday, opening Christmas gifts and playing the piano. Andrea Christensen (sister) and Christensen declined to take the stand. They'll formally rest case tomorrow, followed by rebuttal from the prosecution. Closing arguments set for Wednesday. Penalty phase continues 7/16.

Question??
Did Dr. Peggy Pearson actually testify? Or just her report was presented? I didn't understand that tweet. TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin